Labeling?

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Now that would be a great co-op! LOL

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Amen

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Double-amen.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I'll be sending a list for you to start on in a few days.
I have one and they really are neat to have.
You out from under the snow yet?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, I am still waiting for the co-op for the label machine! LOL

When you get done with Jim's list, let me know. ;)

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Curious about the USB ready model that can be used with TZ tapes....Is it easy to control the space between "subjects" so you don't waste tape? I know it's a dumb ????, but it will help me decide since I don't have anything right now.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Look under "margins" & click on "chain print". Saves alot of tape for me!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, it will be a worthwhile investment. I always think I will remember what I planted where....Now I will save tape and some poor plants that may have not showed their heads in time....(Don't worry DL lovers, I haven't killed a DL that way!)

I bought that one months ago and still haven't had time to figure it out!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I am trying to determine a good P Touch Machine to get. So does anyone have the PT-1950 or the PT-1960. From the comparison on the website listed above, the only difference I can see between the 2 is that the PT-1960 comes with a carrying case and is $20 more expensive. Not sure if the case is worth $20. Anyone have any ideas or opinions?

Thanks.

llilyfan helped me figure mine out at the Lily Society Bulb Sale last year. Taught me a few shortcuts that made it much easier.

I was making labels yesterday for the new lilies I bought at the 2007 Lily Society sale last weekend. Ground is thawing--should be able to get a shovel deep enough to plant this week.

I had to look-- mine is an 1830 that came with the case and a couple of tapes last year. I bought the plug in cord too. It was on sale for $30 last spring at Staples. The case helps me keep the cords & extra tapes together in one place, but a bag would work too!

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I saw that last year and was very tempted. This is one of those things that I just keep looking at and I want it but can't make the commitment. .lol.. Oh but I can buy two pair of shoes one sale at the drop of a hat! (Equivalent price)

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

My other question is exactly how handy do people find the USB connection to be. Just trying to see if it is worth the money. Mostly, I will just be doing plant stuff. If I have the USB, can I type a bunch of labels on the PC and just leave them printing. On the other machines, do you have to type one label at a time or can you type in a bunch and leave them to print?

Thanks for the help.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I think the nice thing about the usb would be that I could cut and paste them all and not have to type in each one again. But I would have to hear from a person who has the usb one.
I guess on the other type you could type in more than one label but it could be a bit involved to do it that way. It would actually be one label and you would cut it apart. If you were doing more than one line you would have to do all the names first then come back down and do the second line info lined up with all the names.. did that make sense?

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Yep, made sense. I think for my use, the USB is probably the way to go. I noticed that you can also print Iron-On labels and with 3 kids, (including an infant), everything has to be labeled to go to daycare, school, sports practice, etc.

The PT-1950 and PT-1960 both got good reviews on Amazon.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Okay, so this website has the PT-1950 for $39 (after a $20 instant rebate). I still have to investigate the shipping and make sure that is isn't outrageous, but so far that sounds like a good deal.

http://www.provantage.com/brother-pt-1950~7BRTT00Y.htm

Seek and ye shall find! Besides, with my handwriting, these clean labels are a Blessing to all who visit my garden!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I have the PT-1950 and especially like the USB-ready feature because I can take all the info right out of my garden journal. Already had a cable to use. Another deciding factor was that the less expensive models required you to purchase the AC adapter making the price the same as the 1950, which came with one.

I think the original price was about $70, plus a $20 rebate. Sounds like your price is pretty good, Shug.

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I ordered the PT-1950 from the place on the link I posted above. I ordered it yesterday and got a package from them today. I didn't pay for express shipping, so they must have a warehouse in my area. Anyway, have a sick baby, so no label making today, but I may have to break it out tomorrow and just to read the instructions. Also, I don't know how much people usually pay for the tape, but theirs seemed like an okay price.

I am very excited. Just love new toys to help with my new plants.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Good for you! Hope the babe is feeling well soon. :)

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here are my newly painted labels. I have printed the t z clear tape with black with the print in the vertical mode. I have 400 now painted and ready to slap on the printed labels which I have been doing gradually since Feb on my p-touch. I hope to use these only on hosta, dl, iris, lilies, roses, as I really don't like seeing my yard filled with markers. Maybe I will get use to them. But I was getting too confused and ignorant not to do this. I ordered a 1000, so the next batch I am going to paint a lighter green. I am going to spray a batch with clear coat to see if it prolongs the life of the label. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

The labels hide well once everything gets growing--sometimes too well! I see no difference so far in the labels i sprayed & the unsprayed ones. Ask me again in a couple of years.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

wandasflowers, it is when the garden has been put to bed until May when I hate seeing them. IIn the summer they will be mostly invisible. I hope. Patti

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Patti, I'm afraid to tell you that you planted WAY too close together. LOL

Those look great!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Badseed, too funny, but it is actual an ant cemetery. I was thinking of calling an art installation and charging admission. I think I like the vertical profile and that they have two legs which will help keep them in place. I hope. Patti

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmm, I'm not sure but I think in order for that those to qualify as art, you'd have to paint one red or put a face on it. That is just my opinion. ;)

Do the plates on those swing or are they fixed?

I've about half considered pushing mine nearly all the way down to the ground so nothing shows but the plate. Then I'll see another garden where they have the super tall ones sticking way up high. I don't really like the look of markers either. I've kind of considered attaching name plates to lumber in front of the plants too. Maybe I spend too much time thinking about my plants. MAYBE!

I put those metal plant markers in my garden last summer. After all the heavy wet snow they look awful; some are bent, so I agree they should be pushed down. I get a picture and post later.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

TLC, do you have any problem with them heaving in you IA garden? The ones that have been in the ground a full year or more before winter do fine but ones put in that year like to pop up.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I plan on burying them as much as possible. These are the hairpin style ones from paw paw everlast. I can print a 3" vertical label which keeps the profile smaller than the eon coop ones. We will see. I will paint the 27th one in the 4th row back from the left a Chinese red with a drip of chartreuse to make it "Art". Patti

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, not chartreuse! Surely you mean Chinese red with a drip of bright turquiose?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

killerchi, I am doing it to honor one of my favorite hosta names, 'chartreuse wiggles', but perhaps turquoise would be better. Actually I have removed a couple of hundred to these kids from the 'installation' and have slapped on the printed labels. "Art" is so fleeting. Now back to the p-touch to print a mess more. Then I just have to wait for the plants to emerge (hopefully) to properly label them. That should take some time to get it all sorted out. Patti

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I think the chartreuse and red are very oriental

I push mine low into the mulch so the puppies don't catch them with their toes chasing bunnies thru the beds in the winter. A few near the house got smashed by the roofers last week. no big deal to replace.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

wandasflowers, good idea as my gals would hate to stub their little toes! Here are the two dears last summer being ever so delicate and my one of my subtle labels. I wish the bunnies had the nerve to appear during the day, but they are night raiders so they don't face the wrath of my dogs. Drat. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd

Patti,
What pretty pictures!

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

Well, you all have convinced me that I need better labels for my daylilies and hostas-sooo-my PTouch 1950 came today. I'm all set with some 3/4" tape (TZ241) and some new markers from Eon. What's next? Any words of advice before I start making labels (or should I say before I TRY to make some labels . . .)? I haven't even looked at the user's guide yet-and I see there's some software. Any hints or advice will certainly be appreciated-
Thanks in advance-
Deb

You just have to read the book as each P-Touch is a little different. I just hate reading instruction books but that is really the best way.

If you want to save tape, be sure to hit "chain print" . It's under "margin" in my machine. Watch the letter size--it can get HUGE if you are printing a single line. I use two lines, one for plant name and second line for hybridizer/year/type.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Ah..so the 1950 has the usb interface? (I know this was already discussed but I am so overloaded these days that my brain is mush)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.