Labeling?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Wanda, just have the hubby set up a sniper's nest on the back porch. :) best use a pellet gun tho.... ;)

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

That may be the best solution....

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Sorry to change the subject, but I just want to check that the metal markers with the stake through the middle are these at Eon Hyperlinkhttp://www.eonindustries.com/catalog ME-6 or E-20.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

I'm pretty sure they are these: http://www.eonindustries.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=43&osCsid=410e9995f98b6eefde33dc55d56ffbbf

I plan to do another co-op for the E-10 after my Messenger co-op is wrapped up.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Great! I will wait. One more dumb question... E-10 referes to 10 "?

Yes, I think so.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

You are!? Oh boy am I glad to hear that cause I already used up all the markers I got last fall from Susan's co-op!!! Now I can wait and get them from yours. Any idea if you'll do it in March or April?

MollyD

I'm not sure. March is really getting away from me! I have the Mess. co-op open until the 20th, so I don't see it getting finished up until at least the 27th. I will try to open the marker co-op as soon after that as I can.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

April works for me mgh cause I already have several co-ops I've ordered from this month. Two others are looming on the horizon for April too.

MollyD

That sounds familiar! LOL I almost had to start a spreadsheet just to keep track of the co-ops I am ordering from!

Elizabethton, TN(Zone 7a)

Has anyone used the White on clear Tz tape? I'm wondering how that lasts. Thanks!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I used the Tz tape white on clear, and white on black. It held up very well through my winter.

I use the black on clear.

Thumbnail by mgh
Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

I prefer the black on white cause it's easier for me to read. Also covers previous writing on the markers!

MollyD

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I, also, use the black on white because of my eyes but I think your label, mgh, is prettier than mine. I am even pretty sloppy about getting them on real straight. Last year the snow removal guy pushed snow into my garden and mixed up all the labels. So this year my husband got a snow blower; maybe this year I'll be able to finish sorting them out.

Yes, there daylilies under that mound of snow!

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

New snow blower . . .

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

In case anybody is curious, this is what the majority of my garden labels look like...
Diann

Thumbnail by Ticker
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

is that made with one of those pt label makers or whatever they are called
I was looking online but have no idea what im looking for!!!

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Notmartha it's called a P-Touch (brand name) labeller. Look here for it:

http://www.ptouchlabels.com/category~categoryID~38.html

Good prices at this company

MollyD

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Dori ~ you can compare many models here http://www.advizia.com/brother/Advisor.asp?User=ptouch&Rnd=441 Several are likely available at your local Staples or Office Depot.

Look for one that takes the TZ labels (for outdoor use) and to make it a whole bunch easier, look for one that is USB ready and you can print right from your computer.

Yes, I also recommend one that is USB ready. I wish I had one of those!

Dayton, KY

I decided to go another route last year I printed my labels out on the computer then laminated them and glued them on my metal stakes. One of my Daylily friends told me to use clear bathroom caulk for the glue. With the freeze and thaw I have a lot heaved out of the ground so I will have to go out and check my garden map and put the stakes back where they belong. I always map my gardens because of this problem. I like using graph paper to make my maps.

Martinez, GA(Zone 8a)

Instead of metal label stakes... I plan to try converting to an idea I read somewhere online. PVC pipe with a T-joint at the top. I also have a Ptouch 2600 and the weatherproof labels have held up well here in GA.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Dori, I printed my labels off on Avery clear mailing labels and then stuck them on my stakes. I'm at work right now, so I don't have the label number handy but they measure 1" x 25/8" and there are 30 in a sheet. You have to use a laser printer to print them out with, an ink jet's print will run in the rain...

Diann

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

DaytonMom how did you laminate them? Much as I love the P-Touch the tape is way too expensive so I'm going to have to look into other options. I bought two tapes last week and I've used up one and part of the second already and still have several hundred plants to label.

MollyD

Dax, I will try to remember to post here when I start the co-op. :o)

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Yes, Molly, to use the Avery labels like I do you need a laser-jet printer. Some of us have those. I got mine used off e-bay for about $50.00 and I can use it for more than just labels. It's all in what you like and how you want to use it. :)

Diann

Hi mgh, I'm another fan for the marker coop - I've used up ALL the ones I got last year, and would like to be sure to get in yours this spring. Will you be posting in this thread when it's going or should I watch in Coops? Dax

A couple of years ago I was in a lot of co-ops . .daylilies, iris, lilies. I printed out the info and a picture in color. Then laminated the whole thing. In the Spring many of them had moisture creep in as well as sun fade. The P-Touch that I have done have stayed far nicer. You can't count on the lamination holding together . . . and i used heat lamination.

If you can't affort P-Touch. How about trying the idea with the Avery Labels mentioned above and use clear strapping tape over the whole label to protect from the elements?

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Problem with the Avery is they're recommending a laser printer! I have an ink jet so that would mean buying a new printer to print the labels. Not good.

MollyD

Labeling, labeling. I spent yesterday afternoon putting all the stakes back in the ground that unkindly tripped the racing dogs in my yard. I spent until dark stomping all the big doggy footprints back into the mud. Who needs an aerator when my daughter's big "puppy" will do it for free?

You spend a lot on ink jet cartridges. I only use my inkjet printer when I want color.

My workhorse printer is a HP laser jet 1000 (purchased for $100 4 years ago) and it cost me around $69 per year (I go through about one lasercartridger per year)

I spend a lot more than that per year on the color cartridges. And it seems to me the only thing more expensive than that is the P-Touch tapes not to mention how many times the machines have worn out and I had to buy a new one. I have had at least 6 over the years.

With that said, I still use the P-Touch for the plant labels. It works the best.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I'm glad to report that I have never burnt out my trusty P-touch and have made thousands of labels for 2 homes (I have about 13 gardens now of various sizes).

Mine didn't break . . . exactly. They just started ruining the tapes. I have a box in the garage with about 15 ruined tapes. I have emailed Brother about taking them back but haven't had time to follow up on this.

Columbia, TN(Zone 7b)

Maybe I'll look into those laser printers. Any brand recommendations?

MollyD

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I ruined one tape because I didn't read the instructions (hafta do it each time I load!). Thought I had it down. Never assume anything, I guess. Haven't messed up since.

I like HP for printers. They always have older models on sale. They may not print as fast but who cares? You can save a lot of money with the laserjet toner if you don't mind plain old black print.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I bought mine off e-bay... It was suggested to me to not buy one of the one that vertically feeds and spits out paper, because of more of a chance of labels jamming things up. So I went with an older model that is about the size of a boot box and twice as deep.. I'm at work right now, or I'd tell you what series it is... You can probably find newer used models, just be sure to investigate what and from who you are getting it. :)

Diann

I've got to get my P Touch out today--bought a pile of lilies at the Des Moines Lawn & Garden Show yesterday. Our Lily Society & other vendors were too tempting....

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/702724/

I bought my last P Touch labels thru a friend who got them at $10 a roll each thru her job. Industrial strength & alot better price than Staples!

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Wow, does she want to do a co op for P-touch rolls? LOL

Lana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.