How to water when traveling?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I posted this on another forum but then thought that this would be the better place to post it. I hope it is ok to double post just this once.

I have a problem, and that is not being able to travel with so many plants that need to be watered. I have over 300 plants inside. Last year I lost so many plants and this year I do not want that to happen. I have been looking at some watering systems online and do not mind paying for a good product if it is reasonably priced. I just do not know what to buy. What do the rest of you do when you travel? How do you get your plants watered? Please help.

Jesse

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

So I take it you don't have anyone that can come in for you? My dad comes and waters my plants when we travel. He also checks on the house. Since we take long trips sometimes for 2-4 weeks I like to have someone check on the house. There are companies that you can hire to take care of your plants. Or you can hire a house sitter. I leave detailed instructions for my dad each time about how often to water each plant. So far I've not lost any plants and he is not really into gardening.

Another idea, a coworker of mine gets a younger person in the company to stay at his house when he and his family travel. A young person with a small apartment would look at as a vacation to get to stay in house for 2 weeks. I don't know how you feel about having someone stay at your house though.

Sue

You don't mention how long you will be gone. You can add trays and overwater just a bit if you are only leaving for a couple of weeks, so that the plant can take up water from the tray. And there is also the method of putting them into the tub with an inch or two of water, although that won't work for 300 plants. You can also make a self-watering device out of an old soda bottle. That may be best for you if you're only leaving for a few weeks. My neighbors do this regularly and seem to like it.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I will be gone for two weeks. And I have just stumbled across using soda bottles as self-watering devices. I think it is a great idea although I have not tried it yet.

Jesse

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

Okay, first...do you have AC? Keep your house cool while you are gone. Pull the drapes( If applicable), and/or move the plants from the windows. Cactus and succulents can go 2 weeks until the next watering. Plants that need frequent waterings, and don't mind being wet, can be put in a bathtub with enough water to keep them wet for a few days. Otherwise, they could be put in the tub(s) and, after watering well, covered with plastic to hold the moisture. Keep the plastic up off of the plants.
I have handled my houseplants this way, and never lost any.

Even if you can have someone come in and tend to them, grouping them together according to their watering needs, would be helpful.

I hope most of your 300 are in small pots!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.