Post-Op Bariatric Proceedure

Tplant
I admire you for your courage to meet this head on. It doesn't matter what the addiction is ... or how much one weighs if one perceives oneself to be over weight. It's all about accepting the challenge to change. I applaud you for your courage.
Hugs&blessings ... Elaine

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tplant-

How about V8 juice, the old-fashioned kind? It may be too fibrous.

xxxxx, Carrie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You're DREAMING about food?

Sending positive thoughts and best wishes your way today.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Carrie --- I can have V-8 juice and do. It is an excellent filler. I had an appointment today with my surgeon to tighten my band which he did and it was quite painless. I didn't feel a thing. This is done by injecting saline into the port of my lap-Band located to the left and above my belly button. I lost another two pounds
since my last visit bringing me down to 297lbs. The only drawback right now is that I have to go back on the liquid diet for two days and then a soft diet for two days. After this I can eat whatever but I must not eat fried foods, bread, pasta, or stringy veggies or veggies with skins such as tomatos. This will be an experimental eating stage to see what my body will tolerate. No complaints on my part as long as the pounds keep dropping off !

That's wonderful, Tplant! Still here cheering you on!
... Elaine

Today I start the soft food diet for two days and then can eat most all foods with some limitation. For lunch today I will have moist chicken salad with fresh tomato and young vidalia onions. I wait all year for the spring Vidalias. Now these are not the loose ones you buy at your supermarket but they are bunched three to a bundle like scallions with the long green leaves. They are so sweet that they do not have a harsh burn as you eat them. Must remember to chew my food thoroughly!
I picked my last tomatos today from my garden, so soon, I'll have to go "store bought" or none at all. I will be weighing in tomorrow. Hope the scale likes me?

Sounds like great progress. Am still here cheering you on! Take care and good luck with the scales! LOL

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

That sounds like a yummy lunch no matter what kind of diet! I never did develope a taste for the vidalia onions. A little too sweet for me, I guess I like the stronger taste....but hey! whatever rolls your socks! LOL

Waiting to hear the good scale results.
Pati

This weekend I plan on taking my family to Red Lobster where I will have King Crab. Having a soft texture it should be easy to digest. My only problem is I will only be able to eat one leg? I'll bring the rest home and make some crab salad.

Oh how nice for you, tplant! I'm sure that's going to be so so much fun. I bet that's gonna be *one* good leg, huh? I'm smiling for you and your progress. Take care and have fun!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tplant many places will allow you to order smaller plates or even childs because of the surgery just explain and it's not a problem

Saint

I have a keychain ID that identifies my situation. Just received it a few days ago. I'll be sure to use it. Meanwhile today was weigh-in day and this morning I hit the scales at 294lbs down three more pounds. Slowly but comfortablly I am losing weight and it is so easy with very little hunger pangs. As a matter of fact they are almost nil.

"down three more pounds" !!!!!!
Great going there Tplant! Enjoy your dinner at Red Lobster, and remember, "clean underwear" LOL
Pati

WOW!!! Ooops xcuse me for shouting ... I just got so excited! LOL :)
... Elaine

Went to my first movie in months today. I was hesitant to go because I couldn't visualize a movie without popcorn and coke? But guess what? To my surprise I didn't miss it! Didn't even think about it! I bought a bottle of water and that satisfied me completely and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. This is a wonderful new life that I've been given and I'll not abuse it...

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

YAY for you and for your new life too. I find it amazing that you are already under 300. How good is that? I bet you feel better all the time.

Hugs,
Lani

I still have a lot of pain in my ankle due to my post polio syndrome but not as much as before and I have noticed that I can walk farther than before. Yesterday I walked from the movie to my car without stopping to sit and rest my ankle. It still hurt but not as soon as it usually did. I wonder what losing another 35lbs will do?
Today is my first day off the soft diet. I am allowed to eat most everything except fried foods, pasta and bread. I don't know if I will be allowed to have some in the future or if it is a permanent no-no? Today my DIL is making baked chicken, sweet potatoes, broccoli and carrots. I'll only be able to eat about a cupful of food but it will be a pleasant change. I'm a little concerned about my digestive tract but the doctor said it was OK!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes TP *that* is normal LOL :-) concerning your digestive tract.

Nothing is permanant - everything in time but it is a good idea not to eat those foods anyway -or at least very often- IMHO.
-Kim

Kim --- I make a "mean" chicken soup" but without oodles of noodles it won't be the same...so I hope in time I will be able to have some.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I wonder if you could have small bits of tofu (soybean curd) in your chicken soup. The taste would remind you of noodles; it is easily digested and very nutritious. Yuska

I am used to eating soup without noodles so be it. I will adapt to it. It is a beautiful day here and I shall work in my garden today.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

TP - I'm wondering if an ordinary overweight guy, like, say, my husband, who doesn't have PPS but who does have a panoply of other things that prevent him from jogging, running, hiking, etc. like rheumatoid arthritis, irritable bowel, high blood pessure, a history of (in the last 18 months) torn meniscus, broken back, compressed cervical vertebrae, etc., is probably at least 35 lbs too heavy, maybe 50, what would happen to him on your liquid diet? Anyone?

xxxxxxx, Carrie (loving my tubby hubby)

He would lose weight rapidly if he stayed with it. If he is serious I would be happy to send you the menu but only if he is willing. The first day does take will power and commitment but it gets easier after that. However if it is possible , it would do him well to have the simple lap-band surgery.

PS -- His body mass Index(BMI) must be in the obese category but if he is only 35lbs overweight I don't think he would qualify!

This message was edited Apr 9, 2006 8:09 PM

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Great Going T Plant!! You are doing fantastic!! Say, I read that as the tomatoes having skins was the prob...?? If so, can you remove the skins??? I certainly would in order to be able to eat them... ~ Suzi :)

Hi Tplant! Just checking your thread for all the good news. I am a southern lady so I never set a supper table without sliced tomatos and sliced cantaloupe in the summer time. I never minded the skin, but my late DH always peeled them. I must say some of the tomato skins are so tough nowadays that I now I peel them too.

My mother used to can them, and she would dip them in boiling water for a few seconds and the skin would slip off like a glove.

Keep up the good work, and let us know about the things you are able to eat now.
Pati

Hi Tplant
I haven't forgotten about you, just been away from the puter. LOL Have seen you posting on the mater forum. Nice to see you getting around again. :) It's wonderful progress you're making. Keep up the good work!

Hi all --- My doctor said I can eat anything but to make certain that I chew it well. This week I had a delicious roasted chicken breast with mashed potatos and sautaed onions and today I made onions, peppers and chopped beef in homemade tomato sauce and must say it was delicious. Have to be careful about overeating as I feel I could eat more. The doctor told me that I will require two or three more adjustments to find my comfort zone. The adjustments are completely painless so I don't mind.
I used to have a big salad with dinner but I just can not eat that much anymore and rather fill my limited stomach with rabbit food, I fill it with protein first. As far as tomatos are concerned I find that if I chew well I don't have a problem.

Mmmmm, sounds like you're eating good! :)

And if I overdo it I can always go back to the liquid diet for a few days. I know that works!

It's Friday and that means weigh-in time. And the scale reads 293lbs, down 1lb! Considering that I have been eating everything and absolutely no hunger problems I am amazed! I thought for sure I would gain weight? How about that? I have another doctor appointment for Tuesday at 1pm and I hope he tightens the band some more as my goal is a minium of two pounds per week. However, don't misunderstand me? I am very happy with my progress and know I will eventually reach my goal of at least minus 100lbs total.

Has anyone else out there had this surgery? And how are you doing?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tplant I haven't had the surgery but I'm on a drug (not a weight loss drug but who's complainin!) that is causing a weight loss of about 10 lbs per month as a side effect...I love it. So far 22 lbs down with very little change to my diet that I can see and no hunger

Just be careful! I've tried every drug in the book including prozac. I lost some weight with it but it all came back plus more...

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

this drug isn't being taken for the weight loss that's just plus I have to take it to regulate my mood swings..but I also have blood work about every 2 months.

Had to call the doctor for an unscheduled appointment yesterday as I noticed I could eat like a horse Easter Sunday, if I let myself go and for the first time I was fighting hunger pains and could gulp an entire glass of water? This was not a good sign so they let me come right over. It was a terrible feeling to be hungry again but another painless adjustment and I was fine. To test the results they gave me some water and I could only take three swallows. That was perfect! Now of course it's back to two days liquid diet and two days soft diet.
This morning I had oatmeal for breakfast with extra 1% milk. It was less than a cup, just a little less and I could not finish it. For the first time in many, many years, I really feel great and pray the weight loss will help me to walk with less pain from my arthritis and PPS. Forgot to mention that according to the doctors scale, which I'm sure is highly accurate, I lost four more pounds since April 5. His scale said 292lbs. The difference between my scale and his is 2lbs. This could be because I weigh myself in the morning without my orthopedic shoes which are heavy and do weigh about two lbs plus. So, my Friday weight maybe off by two lbs but what the hay, as long as I keep dropping weight. We'll see what happens at my Friday home weigh-in?

Tplant
Whew, so glad everything is okay now and things are still on track! Keep us posted. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.
... elaine

Here it is Friday and you know what that means? It's weigh-in time! And the scale says 290lbs. Down 3lbs from last Friday weigh-in. I never, ever thought that losing weight would be so easy. Considering the painless surgery and the loss of my huge appetite this is the greatest! I can now eat anything I want but I seem to shy away from some of the foods I used to enjoy and thought I could never do without and one of them was ice cream. Now, I never even think about it and if I do have a sweet crave I satisfy it with strawberries or melons and that does the trick. If I still have a desire after a while, which is rare, I'll have a "Carnation Instant Breakfast" chocolate of course. I usually drink about three a day because they taste great but also because of the high protein value. I buy the O gram & Sugar, the powder type that comes in a can and you mix it with 1% milk? Boy, it is delicious!

I sure hope that posting my present experience is helping someone? If you need any private info you can D-mail me.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm with you Tplant..this medication takes away my appetite and seems to speed up my lagging metabalism my only craving is for tart items. I could suck the peel off a lemon to get the juice...vinegar I could drink...I've always liked them but now I LOVE the stuff.

What kind of medication are you taking that makes you crave sours? How much do you want to lose?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Medication is called Topamax and I take it because I'm bi-polar and it has shown to help with the mood swings. But it's original use (I think) is a seizure medication. So far it's doing it's job and I don't see any negatives to it. *LOL* and I'm female I can always lose weight. My ideal would be 2 pounds with half of that being clevage. But the Doc (and others who have been on it) say that when your body gets to where it wants the medication just stops and maintains a weight. I've always battled with my weight and had to watch everything that goes into my mouth and as I've gotten older it's become a larger problem so this is a great thing to me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.