Post-Op Bariatric Proceedure

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Great Tplant...I know Smuckers has Strawberry and Blackberry Splenda jelly that I think taste like the real thing...but then since I can't have the real thing I guess I wouldn't really know. I make a killer egg salad but I don't really think it will ship well *G* Go drop those pounds, I'm with you in losing but I'm have to confess I'm on a medication that is causing it so I can't take any of the credit.

Saint

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I bought the Smuckers Blackberry and Apricot today and they are delicious. Wish the MD said I can eat my tomatos?

Just hang in there, tplant. You'll be so so proud and it will be worth it all when you're all slim. When you get hungry ... just form a mental picture of the "new you". WOW! See, what did I tell ya! You can eat tomatoes *next* summer. LOL
... elaine

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Hooray Tplant! Having "real" food must be such a treat....and the quality, not quantity, makes it taste better too!

I buy Smucker's "Natural Peanut Butter". It has NOTHING added to it, just ground peanuts and salt. It's like the peanut butter I remember from my childhood, when you open it all the oil is on top. You have to stir it in and then refridgerate it because there are no preservatives. Great taste!

I must confess though, I'm convinced that Welch's Grape Jam is the only thing for a peanut butter sandwich. LOL
Pati

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ohh Just think when Tplant is all thin and hunky he'll start dating and he'll forget all about his mater friends......*cries*

Only if I can find a very rich widow! LOL

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Ahemm I don't think we should put that in your dating profile on Match.com *G* I'll work on it...

Another day and I am feeling super terrific. Could not believe the pants that I just put on four days ago are now to loose. I wore a tight 54 at the start then 52 a few days ago and maybe tomorrow or definetly the next day I will be wearing a size 50. The doctor did say that I will not lose anymore weight until he gives me an adjustment to my lap-band which means tightening the passage to my stomach. This is done by some kind of an instrument that injects(painlessly)into a port under my skin on my left side just above the waist. However, I can't feel the port but it's there. Why didn't I do this years ago??

Tplant
One reason is cause the procedure wasn't around? hehehe
Be careful to tighten up your belt, okay? Way to go! *clapping hands*
... Elaine

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

TPlant - You're doing great!! Keep up the good work! ~ Suzi :)

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Ummm...I wondered if you can make a Tomato smoothie.

I'm not rich or a widow...but I'm still looking lQQking.

Hang in there Tplant, we're all rooting for you.

Linda

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

Not sure you can have this in your diet Tplant. You might want to ask your doctor.

Tomato smoothie

Carrot and Tomato Smoothie
http://www.recipezaar.com/157286

A good juice to enjoy if you are on a weight loss programme.
4 medium sized carrots, cut into 1 inch cubes
6 medium sized tomatoes, quartered
salt
1 stalk celery, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly grounded)
ice cubes, as required
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

2 servings Change size or US/metric
Change to: servings US Metric

30 minutes 20 mins prep

Tomato Lemon Twist Smoothie
http://www.razzledazzlerecipes.com/icecream/tomato-smoothie.htm

2 tomatoes, cut in chunks
1 cup tomato juice (or 2-3 medium tomatoes, juiced)
1/2 lemon, juiced, (peeled if using a juice machine)
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
6 fresh basil leaves, rinsed

Place the tomato chunks in a freezer bag and freeze them until solid. Pour the tomato juice into a blender and add the frozen tomato chunks, lemon juice, lemon peel, and basil. Blend on high speed until smooth and serve immediately.

I'm sure you can goto google and search for tomato smoothie ;)
Enjoy!

Wow, those sound wonderful! Think I'll give them a try. I love smoothies ... and what could be better than a tomato smoothie!! :)

I will find out if I can?

Tplant
How's it going? You still feeling okay? I'm still here praying you on!
Hugs&blessings ... Elaine

Tplant
Did you find out about those 'mater smoothies? They sound so good I might try one out myself.
Wishing you a lovely and spring Sunday morning.
Pati

Feeling very good! Only wish I could do some heavy work in my garden like clean some of my EBs before it gets to hot to work out there. I want to set up my garden for melons as I am tired of paying $4 for a small icebox melon. However I know this can not be done just yet. Although I am twenty-nine lbs lighter and am 6' and now weigh 300lbs, I still have a long weigh to go and must remember to go slow for now. When I do wrong to my body I have a reminder inside that feels like a rock in my stomach. The doctor told me it was part of the healing process. I am eating more this week but he said I would and may not lose anymore weight this week until he adjusts the lap-band on 4/4.

Just hang in there Tplant. It will take time but will be worth it! Will be thinking about you on the 4th. :)
... Elaine

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

can you have ice cream? BLue Bell makes Creme de Le Carb and it's with Splenda. Low sugar and dairy count and it's yummmmy

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

IO1: Did you try the tomato smoothie yet? It sure does sound nice!

Tplant: You're still doing great. You made it this far, and take it a day at a time. Just imagine how much energy you'll have and less pounds you have to carry around. It will be easier on your heart and back without the added stress. I could just picture the new slim you!

Don't be doing any lifting and let your body heal, however, you could lift a garden book or magazine to read.

Hugs

Linda

No not yet, Linda. Have to cook for the DH over the week-end. I'm afraid he wouldn't be too happy if I put a smoothie in front of him. LOL I usually have them during the middle of the week. He'll be going to the Farmer's Market tomorrow. We didn't make it over the week-end. will let you know how it turns out. I bet it will be real good when I have fresh tomatoes to use in it. That is, if there's any to spare! :)

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I am so glad you are making such great progress. I haven't been on Dave's much lately but you have been in my thoughts as you had surgery and now your recovery. I can't imagine feeling full after only a half cup of food but that is GREAT!!!!!!!

Man that mater smoothie sounds mighty tasty. Wonder how I could get my hands on some decent maters? Right now the fresh maters taste like cardboard. How do I know they taste like cardboard? I used to chew on cardboard when I was teething as a baby. lol

You will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers as you heal and learn this new life you have entered.

Hugs,
Lani

Victorville, CA

Tplant-I haven't been on here much lately and just now was able to read your posts. WOW! You are a very courageous man. Thank you for sharing this experience with us as it may encourage others. God bless you!
-Juli

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Speaking of which Tplant you show yourself or I'm gonna get worried...

Thank you all! I forgot to post my weight this Friday. It was still 300lbs. The doctor did say I would not lose because of the addition of mashed potatoes and chicken salad. He will adjust my internal band this coming Tuesday and that will decrease the entry port to my stomach and thus less appetite and less food means less weight. By the way, I suffered from a duoadenal ulcer for more than fifteen years and since the surgery I no longer suffer the effects and no longer have to take my meds? Also I don't need zocor, celebrex, sulindac, prilosec and darvoset. The only med he told me to keep taking for now is zoloft and isorbide. It's nice to live as an almost healthy and normal human being....

araness -- I will show myself soon when I get some new clothes. My current wardrobe is baggy and would not do me justice. I want to look like I used to or close to it allowing for age of course..

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

lol just ou posting is good enough for me...just pop in now and again so I know your ok and not out spending nights at clubs with lose ladies and dancing the night away. *G*

NOT YET !!!!!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

LOL

Just stopping by to say hi and you're still in my thoughts and prayers.
Hugs&blessings ... Elaine

Tplant, glad to run across you posting on other forums...signs of real progress!

WOOPS, you better take that belt in another notch.....don't let things start slipping! LOL
Pati

Tonite 3/30 @ 7:30pm we are having the first post lap-band meeting. This is conducted by my MD's wife and assistant. She works with everyone and is very much appreciated by all of us. This should be a very interesting meeting as only post-op and Lap-band patients are to attend. I'll keep you up to date on the results in case anyone is interested in this simple and pleasant surgery.

Good luck on your meeting tonight. Oh and better take Pati's advice. hehehe
... Elaine

Does this mean I have to change my underware???

Toooo funny! ;)

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

My Grandma once told me "You only have to change your underware if it is holey or dirty. Any more than that and you are just wasting laundry effort."

Of course she was also the one who told me that I couldn't play in the dirt since I was a lady. Gardening to her was "man's work" other than the harvesting when all pitched in. lol

Hope you had a great meeting and learned a lot.
Lani

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

My Mother never meet your Grandma...she was forever tellin me to put on clean undies in case I had an accident...like if I had a wreck the Doctor was going to stop the entire ER and comment on my dirty underwear.

My mother was the same."If you are hit by a car and sent to the hospital wearing dirty underwear etc." Ahh for the good old days!

Their were about fifteen post-op lap-band patients in attendance and I was the only man? Hhhmmmm? Well it was told that women do lose weight more slowly than men but I did observe that they were not following the rules and eating food they were not supposed to be eating. However I did admire them for their courage to speak out and admit their wrong doings. I know one must make a comtitment to themselves and told them after they all had their say and came my turn about my comittment and worldwide support on "Daves Garden." I told of the pre and post op entries and also posting my picture at the start and my friday weigh-ins. Today I weigh 299lbs. Considering I am no longer on a true liquid diet but more of a semi-soft diet I feel good. Tuesday my band will have it's first adjustment which is necessary as all swelling has diminished.

Back to the meeting. I noticed some were happy and they were the ones that are losing weight while the others that were not following their daily prescribed regimen definetly were not! We all know that breaking life time habits are extremely difficult especially when it comes to food as one can give up smoking and drinking but food, in my opinion, is the most difficult of all for we must have food and the temptation will always be there just waiting for me to have just one and after the one which I did handle, have another and so it starts. I find that the "ONE DAY AT A TIME" motto works for me. Instead of thinking "I can never have that again" I prefer to say "I'll not have any just for today!" Working it just one day at a time. To some of you that phrase is very familiar and you know and understand.

This message was edited Mar 31, 2006 11:26 AM

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

You're an inspiration to us all. Best wishes for continued strength of will and and wishing you great results.

Thank you Twiggybuds but you all are the real inspiration as I know I have lots of help and well wishers especially from those that are weight challenged. I am not only doing this for myself but for all those that are suffering from morbid obesety hoping that they will seek help and extend their lives. The loss of weight not only extends life but provides a new happiness and enjoyment of things that I never thought would be for me. The loss of 30lbs has made a difference already but I want more as I feel I am entitled to it after all the years of suffering with all kinds of ailments. For example a duoadenal ulcer that haspitalized me in 1985 and almost took my life. I had to take daily meds since then but even with that it still hospitalized me two more times until Prilosec came along and that worked but I had to take it everyday or I would suffer. I've not had any since the start of my pre-op liquid diet and none since my surgery of 3/10. My surgeon was quite pleased. Also no more darvosette for pain, zoloft for cholesterol, sulindac for arthritis and (forgot the name) no more blood pressure meds. The only meds I now take are isorbide for my heart and zocor an antidepressant which I know will be decreased in strength and eventually stopped as this was used in the business world which I am no longer involved (stress) in but my doctor made me continue after my heart attack of 98.

This message was edited Jun 9, 2006 1:32 PM

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

All those women and YOU - not a bad meeting! You are well on your way to success with your positive attitude and compliance with Dr.'s orders. You are never far from my thoughts.

XOXO
-Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.