New Clematis Nursery in the Garden Watchdog!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Yes.,..I posted a Pic of Clematis "Violet Elizabeth" that belongs to Debbie to show you how beautiful it is...Sorry, didn't think I did anything wrong...I was only trying to show yall how beautiful her clematis are...Jeanne

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Debbie, I love the color of Mrs PB Truax. I'm glad I ordered that one too. Welcome to Dave's.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I just received the Clematis vines I ordered from Wayside (before I knew of Silver Star Vinery). They look so pitiful compared to the thirteen I ordered from Debbie at Silver Star Vinery. Maybe in another year or two they'll catch up to the ones from Debbie.

OMG when I opened the last one, it was brown crunchy. Dead as a door nail.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2006 12:33 PM

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Ada: Personally, I would return the brown crunchy vine to Wayside Gardens. You payed good money for it and the least they can do is send you a live & viable plant! What ever happened to inventory control & customer service??? They need to take that one back, replace it, and give you credit, IMHO!!! Nope, there is NO comparison between the nurseries!!!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

You're right, Shirley. This is a pic of the trash they sent.

Thumbnail by ahelms
Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

I got the same as you did,and was told to give it a chance..They won't return my money til then..Their chance is up with me gonna call them once again and see what they say..They called mine bareroot..I call it DEAD..!! :o(((

Loretta..

Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

OMG, you mean that ugly brown thing in there is a plant??? Wow, I would for sure want my money back....

I am still trying to decide what I want from Debbie at Silver Star....I have to hurry up. LOL

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Demstratt they think we're miracle workers. I don't care how much you soak or plant a dead stick, it won't grow. LOL

Yes, LucyGoose, you better get your name in the pot. I sure wish I had known about Silver Star before I ordered some of my Clematis from two other places. i won't make that mistake again. LOL

Shirley, this is your fault, you should have posted about Siver Star earlier. LOL

Did you call them yet?I hope you get better results then I did..:o(((

Loretta..

I'm sorry, Ada! Sniff, sniff ;~O But now you know you have a lot better choices!! Plus, you will receive well rooted, LIVE vines!! What a concept!!

Ada & Loretta: The Garden Watchdog is an excellent place to tell others about your experiences with Wayside Gardens. In other words, gardeners BEWARE!!! Plus, I would let Wayside know that you have added your comments to the Garden Watchdog (where thousands of potential customers can see & read your comments about their nursery). The quality of the plants you have received from Wayside, in addition to the lack of caring & understanding shown by their Customer Service Department, hopefully, should make them "sit up & take notice"! If it doesn't, SHAME ON THEM!!! That will mean a big loss of revenue for that nursery, plus a reduced customer base to draw from. Simply put...shop somewhere else!

Loretta: Put it in writing! Unless they monitor & record their Customer Service Department calls (which I doubt), the "top brass" won't find out about your complaints. Send it to the head of Customer Service, or better yet, the owner & president of Wayside! Bet he cares!!

They were shipped on 9/13/05..So I was told to wait til Spring because they were domant and will grow this summer..They sure look dead to me..I did'nt only get 1 I got 3,dummy me..I will call again tomorrow and let them know what I'm planning on doing...I have 9 clematis in my yard all do great,well I think she wants to blame me on them dieing..How can I do good with the others and get blamed for planting them wrong??? :o(

Loretta..

Loretta: Did you ask to speak with a Manager in Customer Service?

Hi Shirley no I did'nt but I sure will tomorrow..The women said she already had it in her notes that I called when I got them..One was black and sticky and I was told thats cause it's dormant.
That I had to give them a chance...They got their chance 3 dead sticks,is what I have..I just want my money back and no replacements...
Loretta...

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I e-mailed them a picture. They say they're going to replace it. We'll see.

Excellent idea Ada!!! Send them a visual! Then they can't deny it!!!

I still would work my way up their ladder, because Wayside needs to know that their customers are NOT SATISFIED!!!

Hi Shirley.. Can you help me out here?What is the bluest and longest blooming Clematis?TIA..

Loretta...

Hi Loretta:

I love blue flowers in my garden, but you can have various shades of blue. Some have more red tones in them, which take on a purplish cast. Some have more pink in them, which gives them a two tone quality. Don't forget that light & soil will also affect the color of your blooms.

Here are some of my favorite blues:

"Beauty of Worcester" - large deep blue double/semi-double blooms in May, June & Sept.

"Ken Donson" - is a deep blue which blooms in June with a 2nd flush in August/Sept.

"Kiri Te Kanawa" - deep blue double blooms in May, June & Sept.

Macropetala "Blue" - semi-double small light blue blooms in April & May

Macropetala "Maidwell Hall" - deep blue blooms in April & May.

"Mrs. P.B. Truax" - is a periwinkle blue. Blooms in May, June & Sept.

"Perle D'Azur" - one of the best true blues. Semi-nodding flowers in July-Sept.

If you can't find "Perle D'Azur" then try "Prince Charles". Very similar blooms & a lot of gardeners like it equally as well.

"Will Goodwin" - True blue blooms June-Sept.

There are other blue blooms. Please check out Clematis on the Web for the entire selection. http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.html

Thanks Shirley and Terry...Now to get a few ordered that will stay blue and not purple...

Loretta...

Orange County, NY(Zone 5b)

As if I needed another pusher to feed my plant habit ;- ) I just ordered 2 Piilu, 2 Kiri te Kanawa and two Rooguchi. Debbie, you are just wonderful. Your suggestions were perfect. I can tell that I am going to be in so much trouble with this new clematis obsession!!!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I received my wonderful replacement of the dead Clematis and would you believe, it's just as dead and crunchy as the first. I sent them an e-mail to refund my money immediately. LOL I'll never order Clematis from Wayside ever again. Look out Siver Vinery, here i come. LOL I have posted negative feedback for them. When I picked it up and knew how dry the contents surrounding the vine, I knew the vine was dead. Why didn't Wayside know this when they picked it up to ship?

This message was edited Mar 22, 2006 11:49 AM

Thumbnail by ahelms

Oh no.... I want my money back too..Don't they know what a dead plant is yet??That one looks worse then your first one...

Loretta...

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Loretta, that's why I wouldn't want them to send me another replacement. LOL

What do they think that we have DUMMY tatooed on our foreheads..They keep telling me it's dormant,noway mines DEAD..I'm sorry but I had to laugh at your replacement..But my times coming..lol..can't wait to see what I end up with...

Loretta..

Ada: I'm so sorry that you keep running into the same problems with Wayside Gardens. What ever happened to Customer Service??? Just wondering if BOTH your pictures can be posted in the Garden Watchdog or if a link can be made in the Garden Watchdog to refer back to this thread....."a picture is worth a 1,000 words".

Denver, CO

Are you sure they sent a Clematis to you? It looks like a burnt rope or a bundle of mummified rat tails to me.
K. James

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We don't allow photos in the Watchdog (can't you just imagine what images some angry customers might submit if we did? There's no way we could effectively monitor images for "appropriateness" while simultaneously maintaining the "neutral" stance that is required to aviod lawsuits.)

And this thread isn't read-able by anyone outside of our subscribers, so linking to it won't do much good, except to frustrate other readers.

If you feel you have exhausted your all possible avenues available to you via Wayside, then you are welcome to share your feedback within the Watchdog for the benefit of other gardeners and the management of Wayside (and I know they are closely monitoring their feedback.)

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I got an e-mail back from Wayside telling me it was dormant and to give it a chance. I wrote back that dormant is dormant and dead is DEAD and that I wasn't stupid and I wanted my money back.

K.James, it sure doesn't look like a Clematis. LOL

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Send me all the dead clematis you have and I will use my magic wand and restore it to my garden. Have you ever seen dormant roots of clematis. It looks that way to me.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, I've seen dormant roots. If you revive these, we'll have to change your name. LOL

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

WOW! I just received my order from Debbie,(Silver Vinery) The root system on the Clematis was amazing. By far the best by mail order. ordered on tuesday and it arrived today. It has at least 6 new shoots already on the plant. Will never order from anyone else. Everyone should check out her site, You won't be disapointed.

Thumbnail by gldandrews

I think it's too cold for her to deliver to me as my ground is still frozen...I think I better put in a order before she runs out..I see now she has nothing but GREAT plants..!! ;o)))

Loretta..

Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

I finally ordered!! I couldn't get all I had wanted, but I will be happy with what I am getting....

Multi-Blue....seems everyone should have this one.
Marmori.....Lovely
Purpurea Plena Elegans....Boy, I can't wait!

I also wanted Etoile Violette, but I have a gardening friend off me starts of hers, so I couldn't so no....:-)

I can't say enough how nice Debbie is also....I really enjoy her e-mails!!

Thanks again, Shirley!! :-)

gldandrews: Talk about a very well developed and hardy root system!!! Which variety are you showing us?

LucyGoose: You are very welcome! Can't wait to see all those beautiful Clematis in full bloom!

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Shirley1md,
I know , They are beatuiful. It's the Princess Diana. I have two clematis, the Blue Moon and the lemon chiffon that are covered in flower buds as we have had very warm temps for a couple of weeks. Well wouldn't know it it has been in the 30's for two days now with snow. Hopefully they will make it trough this cold snap. Later in the week we should be back into the 60's.

Gary

I love Texensis, Princess Diana! Great choice!! I also have Lemon Chiffon, but I'll have to check if it has any buds on it yet.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, to console myself with the bad experience with Wayside, I ordered nine more Clematis from Debbie.LOL I know they'll be nice.

ahelms..I only ordered two the Princess Di and Prince Charles...I got a laugh outta that one let me know if ordering the nine helped you..lol..I just might have to order more too..!! ;o)))

Loretta..

I ALWAYS feel better after ordering more Clematis! The only thing better than ordering Clematis is when they are in bloom! :~))

Which ones did you order, Ada????

I checked on "Lemon Chiffon" and it has just come out of dormancy. No buds yet, but stay tuned!!!

You are going to have "regal" flowers Loretta with Princess Di & Prince Charles! Can't wait to see them in bloom together!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.