New Clematis Nursery in the Garden Watchdog!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Silver Star Vinery has just been added to the Garden Watchdog at DG! Check it out! http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/4995/ Need I say more?!

Denver, CO

Thanks Shirley.
K. James

My pleasure!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

They are a dollar less than most of the vines at Brushwood, but brushwood offers free shipping. This site would be cheaper than Chalk Hill Nursery. Need to go browse now...

There's no zone information. While many Clematis are northern hardy, there are some that are not. I believe the Floridas and Montanas are not.

Well, I'll be. Chalk Hills just put most of their vines on sale for 13.90. Their nornal price was 16.95. I wonder what brought that on?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

How long are they having their sale??

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 4:49 PM

I do believe that other Clematis nurseries are feeling some healthy competition! Plus, a lot of places will advertise Clematis at lower prices at the very beginning of the growing season. However, you need to keep in mind, what is the size of their root balls? Do they completely fill a 1 gallon container? Are they ready to be planted right into the garden or do they need to be grown out for 6 months or longer? ALL the Clematis from Silver Star Vinery are the BIGGEST & some of the healthiest root systems I've ever seen! Plus, you can't find a lot of these newer varieties at other Nurseries!!!! Just comparison shop!

beaker_ch: If you have specific questions about which Clematis are hardy enough for your growing zone, e-mail Debbie with questions. She will respond to you very quickly because she gives all her customers a lot of assistance! The link to contact her is posted on her website. Can you say that about all the other nurseries you have bought from on-line?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Nice

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

And this one has big roots

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 4:50 PM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Denver, CO

"...and the cares that hung around me through the week...."

Those are some massive roots. Time to go to work and earn some money...
K. James

Jeanne: Totally awesome root systems and great new Clematis choices!

The Clematis I just ordered from Debbie arrived today too!! I'll take pictures once I un-pack my 4 boxes! Stay tuned!!

Well, I just had to order from Debbie. She had Princess Diana and I've been wanting that one for a loooong time. It's always out-of-stock at other places. I'm now thinking about Prince Charles and a few others. Yes, she was very responsive and answered my Qs.

So I've been converted, but I still like Brushwood. Dan is also very responsive with any questions. I'm on a waiting list for Princess Di there and I'll have to cancel that.

Ok, I just got my 5 new Clematis, wow..lots of strong roots. My pots I planned to put them were not big enough, I had to get more pots. I definately didn't mind. I will buy from her again!!! Thanks,
Casey
P.S. Very quick too, I got them in a few days of ordering, packed great and moist.

Which Clematis did you order beaker_ch & nikki? Nikki, grow them at least in a 1 gallon container. Some probably even need to go into a 2 or 3 gallon container, if you can't or don't want to dig holes in your garden in this weather!

I just got Elsa Spath, Voluceau, Rouge Cardinal, Matka Siedliska, Mrs. Chomondeley. I had a couple of "Barbara"s. I tried to get one's I liked that bloomed the longest. I did put them in 2 gal pots.. Do you put yours outside in the containers? Should I wait for Spring to put outside?

Nice selection, Nikki! Yes, put your Clematis outside. They will do fine. I would keep them in a shady spot for the 1st week and after that they can be moved to a sunnier location.

Here is the incredible root system on Clematis, "Heather Herschel".

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

I need to get a clearer picture of the roots.

Here is how Debbie packs up each individual Clematis cultivar for its journery from her nursery to you.

This is Clematis "Inspiration".

This message was edited Mar 2, 2006 9:42 PM

Thumbnail by Shirley1md

This picture came out clearer. This is the root system on C. "Heather Herschel".

This message was edited Mar 2, 2006 10:03 PM

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

Shirley and Nicki...... forgive me - I'm such a novice...... Can we plant outside now?

I was going to e-mail Debbie to ask......

oooops - I just re-read and saw that you said it is ok to put out in pots now..... I was going to plant in the ground - should I wait ???

thanks and thanks and thanks......... janice

I ordered Princess Diana and Prince Charles (or will order tomorrow, it took me a few days to make up my mind) to be planted together and then Ramona and Elsa Spath to be planted together. Debbie said she would hold the plants until it was safe to ship in the spring.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Venosa Violacea " ..

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 4:51 PM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

Hi Janice! Good to see you at DG! Yes, you can plant your Clematis outdoors, as soon as, you can work your soil. Don't forget, Clematis are perennial vines. They come back each year with renewed vigor and more blossoms

beaker_ch: Debbie is great about waiting to send your plants until YOU decide it is the right time. Both Princess Diana & Prince Charles are great varieties. Just remember that Princess Diana is a Texensis variety with small tulip shaped blooms & Princes Charles has large flowers. I think both these varieties would look nice together. Just remember to treat BOTH as either a type II or a type III when it comes to pruning them. I love Ramona & Elsa Spath too! Great selections!

Thanks Jeanne! Yes, Debbie does a fantastic job when she packages them up for their trip! It was if she dug them freshly out of her garden and delivered them to me ready to go into my garden!

I love Venosa Violacea! She's a beauty!! Hope you get a great show from her this year!!

Middle River, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL Jeanne....... I thought I had followed your link over here...... trying to follow the "winners" so I can learn.......

Shirley thanks much........ I'm going to "investigate" what I have to do to "work the soil" in preparation...........

Janice: The soil probably is not frozen in our gardens anymore. We didn't have a long protracted period of cold weather this Winter. Now, the wind on the other hand is making the temperatures feel mighty cold!

Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

Well, just what I need, more plants....LOL

I went and looked and wrote several down.....Just sent an e-mail to see if the ones I like are hardy for my zone 5. There are 3 I really really like...Maybe someone here will know if these are hardy for me...

Marmori....I love it
Mike Lite....Love it
Florida Siebodii,,,Love it, too

I have, I think, 3 others I asked about, too...I can't wait to hear.

Thanks!!

Hi LucyGoose! Glad to meet you!!

One can NEVER have too many Clematis. Happy to introduce you to a new Clematis Nursery that has fabulous plants! Both Marmori & Mike Lite should be fine in your zone 5a garden. However, Florida Sieboldii, has always been known to be a bit finicky. It is best to grow this one in a large container that you can bring in for the Winter & pamper indoors. Then put it outdoors again in the Spring and it will reward you with gorgeous blooms. I should have put mine immediately into a container and let it get very well developed before planting it directly in the garden. Needless to say, mine didn't make it, but I would grow it again. This time I'm going the container route!

Which are 3 were you interested in? Debbie will get back to you very quickly with answers, so no need to worry!

Happy Growing & don't be a stranger on this forum!

Shirley

Thanks Shirley!!

Yep, Debbie got back with me and wrote a page like she knew me....LOL....It was very nice!!!

I really like Marmori and MikeLite.....I think they would look nice together , do you? I want the Muli Blue....Maybe the Etoile Violette and Kiri te Kanawa....She suggested Polish Spirit....it's not on her site, but does anyone know of it? I will have to google it or look here to see if someone has a picture of it....

Thanks for the nice welcome!! And the recommendation!!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"Clematis" Polish Spirit

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 4:52 PM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

close up of "Polish Spirit"

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 4:54 PM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

LucyGoose, I just purchased Marmori & Kiri te Kanawa from Debbie and will plant them in my garden this weekend. I repotted them in containers until it warms up a bit. We're suppose to be in the 60's by Saturday!!! You know where I'll be!

I purchased Etoile Violette several years ago and it is growing happily amongst my Rose, New Dawn. I'll post a picture of it this evening. It's another excellent Clematis.

Multi-Blue's been in my garden several years now, so I hope I'll see some blooms on it this season. I don't have MikeLite, but know of several people that have purchased it. Hope it will be a beauty for you!

Jeanne: Your Multi-Blue from Debbie is MUCH better looking than the one I purchased from a different nursery, several years ago! What a difference in the size and amount of blooms! Polish Spirit is another "tried and true" Clematis that will provide you with beautiful flowers for several months!

As promised, here is Clematis "Etoile Violette" with Rose, "New Dawn".

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

wowzers, and you got that from Debbie?
I, too, have to say that I wrote her about Avant Garde, and she wrote me back like she was my best friend. And honest too, she told me didn't know enough about A. Garde to comment on how it would do in my area and she recommended tried and true selections for me. Y'all look at the clematis. Kell, Kell, where are you?????

I will contact her after I study them.

Jeanne, Thanks for the pictures....Beautiful!!

Oh my goodness, Shirley look at all those flowers!! Beautiful!!

I see you both have them with roses and I knew you can do that, but I have never done it....I have 3 different pillars with climbing roses......One has Sombreuil and Dublin Bay on it had those have done the best.....but I might put a purple clemmie in there.....wouldn't that be pretty? Red white and purple? And then on the other pillars, and I have 2 Illusion's that have done squat, on one, and the other has two Sympathies on it and those too have not done like they raved about........so, I am thinking about putting a white one there.....

So, you all think that Silver Star & Chalk Hill are the better ones to order from? I am for sure ordering from Debbie, but I don't remember seeing a white. I did just e-mail her again asking that....

Thank-you all for the enabling!!!!

China Spring, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Jeanne for the referral. I just ordered 3 from Debbie. I'm sure I'll be happy. She sure seemed like a nice person to deal with.
hilary

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Multi-Blue" next to it

This message was edited Mar 8, 2006 4:53 PM

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

vossner: I didn't get "Etoille Violet" from Silver Star Vinery, because it is several years old now. I honestly can't remember whom I got it from. Having another senior moment!

I'm also interested in "Avant Garde" from Debbie. I have it on order and will hopefully receive in in June. Debbie only ships out very well developed Clematis with extensive roots systems that completely fill a 1 gallon container. "Avant Garde" wasn't quite ready to be shipped out yet. It's still growing!

LucyGoose: Thanks for the kudos! Lots of opportunities to mix Roses with different colored Clematis. If you are looking for a white Clematis, one of the best is "Huldine". Do ask Debbie about this variety. She may have one in her greenhouse or could get one for you.

Jeanne: Love your "Violet Elizabeth" with those double petals! Now, I'll have to order that one too! Yuph! Your "Multi-Blue" has a nice fat bud on it! VERY early....but who's complaining???? :~)

Yacolt, WA(Zone 7a)

Hello Everyone my name is Debbie Fischer and I am an addict! Thanks for the wonderful comments about my plants and nusery! I am thrilled to be able to take this next step but am starting to feel like a movie star or something. Don't worry I am far from fancy and will never reform! I am just the worst Clematis addict you will ever meet. Well then there is Shirley......(loved your picture Shirley!) Normally I am covered in dirt and never-ever have clean or long finger nails. High-heels, nylons and white things, never. There, now you can get a better idea of me. I really love ~MY~ Violet Elizabeth picture that Jeanne posted! Shame on you! This is an awesome clematis, a bit slow to settle in but worth the wait. That picture was taken in the middle of Oct. of last year growing in a gallon. It had a buzz cut in Feb. but you can see the results. I whack all my clematis back hard the first few years of their little clematis life and I seem to get a bigger better plant faster. But this is just what I think and do. I am sure many of you have your own style too. Another beauty that is over looked is Mrs. PB Truax. She is hardy, early flowering and drop dead gorgeous! I had 3 weeks of low teens a few weeks ago but she is still setting buds. The color is like no other. I will post a picture of the whole plant once I figure out what in the world I am doing here. But once again and I am happy to meet all of you and humbled at your kind words! Thank-You!! Debbie

Thumbnail by ClematisDebbie
Yacolt, WA(Zone 7a)

Another picture of Mrs PB Truax. She is only 2 here. Sorry to have to mark these but they might be used on my site and I don't want anyone to think I robbed them. Debbie

Thumbnail by ClematisDebbie

Pretty Jeanne!!

I still haven't decided what I want.....LOLL....I was telling a friend about all this cellemie talk, and she told me she has Etoile Violette, and went out and started me cuttings.....She lives out there in Washington State, too......And you know how friends are....I couldn't tell her no....LOL......so, I for sure have that one coming.....and I for sure want Marmori, and Multi Blue.......Since the roses that I will be putting the clemm's with are red, I would need white or something like the purples for it to look good, right? I have such a small yard, and it is pretty full.....lol....to block my crappy one neighbor, the pillars are never full enough, and thats why I want the clemms....I better decide soon, so that Debbie doesn't run out of the ones I want.....LOL

Nice to see you here Debbie!! I sure love your e-mails! LOL

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.