Conifers: What are you growing?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Right, I have no intent of discussing the mascot (or "symbol" depending upon one's preference). That's worse than politics in this state!

Obsessed, I thought I had tried to reply to the cherry question and it's just not showing up there. My dumb connection might have interrupted it or something. Anyway, I just tried again. See if it's there this time, for whatever it's worth. If nothing else, at least I bumped the thread up again for you.

Guy S.

Champaign, IL(Zone 5a)

sorry all i can get a bit loud when im tired and martoonied! my hubby chastised me for talking stupid politics online !

guy thanks for the cherry reply but its not growing out of the base plant . i think im going to prune a couple of the wilder branches off now and leave a harder pruning till post bloom. they were always a little different vogorosities(nice word huh?)i bought them on sale at the end of the season , knowing zero about trees. i tend to work like this buy first research after...any special feeding i can do to the little one next year?
taya

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

When Guy says they are grafted high "standard", it means that they are grafted to the trunk basically at the point where everything weeps. Look at that area after the leaves fall and you should be able to see where it is grafted and any branches growing more upright from near or below that graft should be removed (I would wait until after flowering to get the benefit of the flowers, or cut them when the buds swell and force them indoors for a nice arrangement). I wouldn't fertilize the trees unless a soil test shows a deficiency. At most I would top-dress the soil with compost. Definitely mulch & water well.

Chief

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Bill, that was all perfect until you got to that last word, you hooligan!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Some traditions die hard. Hail all-ma-matter. I had a save the chief T back in 92.

Bill

Champaign, IL(Zone 5a)

hey! you all drew me down the evil road to politics ....and ive been admonished by the Chief of the Plant Police( Terry) not to do that any more! and ill not be putting forth those obfuscated expletives either! so here i am apologizing to any offended botanists , corn fused engineers or coniferaholics....seriously I do apologize if i offended either of you!
taya

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I think your fine Taya, just givin ya a hard time about chief. No apologizes needed.

Bill

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Terry is just trying to keep the peace. She has to slap me every few months too, when I get overly riled up about something. It's a thankless job, but somebody has to do it. At least she has a soft touch and the patience of Jobe.

I think you and Bill oughta do a WWF cage match over the future of the mascot. I want concession rights to sell popcorn! Hee-hee-hee!!!

Guy S.

Champaign, IL(Zone 5a)

wow talk about politically incorrect i assumed terry was a man!
no wonder she was so artfully diplomatic in her correction of my behaviour!
this is a grat thing and i certainly dont want to make anyones life difficult...
t

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
i assumed terry was a man! no wonder she was so artfully diplomatic

HEY! Guys are TERRIFIC diplomats! Diplomacy involves talking nice but having brass knucks ready in your back pocket, and you girls just can't cut the mustard there!
Hee-hee-hee!

Arrggghhhhhh!!!

Champaign, IL(Zone 5a)

ok, ok, see, youre leading me down that politics road.....again......only thing i need in my back pocket ever is a tool of digulation....wine'm over with flowers!

What's that old saying; paper covers rock, rock smashes scissors, and scissors cut paper. There is a precarious balance out there that has to be maintained... some call it equilibrium. Fluke that I ended up with that user name as if I could go back a few years in time, I'd choose wildlifegardener. I think Terry would have been a great candidate for that user name all factors considered. I must have missed what ever happened here but Terry is extremely fair and doesn't have a closed mind and certainly never holds a grudge so she is well deserving of our respect and cooperation. Maybe it is best to leave references to whatever posts were deleted gone from new posts.

Pecanhead is floating around out in the threads. He must have missed this thread. Sheesh, I even forgot about this thread. Psst, Annabelle is a cultivar of an indigenous species. If you can't beat them, join them and at least purchase non invasive plant material regardless of whether it is native or not. They had a heck of a lot of Barberry they were clearancing and I'm relatively confident based on how much was left over that they won't be ordering nearly the quantity next year after they total up their losses in that species.

Bill, no bodies back there anywhere. Not worth it.

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Can someone with more Dave's "tech" experience than I reestablish this thread with ref to old so that Guy and I and maybe others do not have to wait half of an evening for it to load. Thanks, Ken

Kevin did the honors-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/654521/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.