Conifers: What are you growing?

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh yah, just checked my profile and remembered that I was asked where I've bought my conifers.

99% came from Stanley and Sons Nursery in Boring, OR.

I buy a few each year from Coenosium Gardens.

This year I'm buying from Bethlehem Nursery as well. Dennis Dodge the propriotor there, has an immense collection of Pinus parviflora's, which is by far my most favorite of all Pinus.

Then I get plants here and there from friends like Mike!

I think that's about it except for the 'rare' purchases from local nurseries. I do love Iseli stock however.

I've learned that Dennis Dodge has prices equal to Stanley and Sons and he's a real nice guy. Check out his website..

ok. (until tomorrow)

Thanks again for the nice Welcome!!! Mike and all.

Dax

Hey Dax, I love photographs. I can't find any of your images here in the PlantFiles. If you want help loading them, please contact me and I'll try my best to help you or get a hold of Terry and she'll walk you through the process like she did with me. I screwed up big time but it's all fixable. You said you uploaded 467? Oh my gosh, how generous of you but I can't find a one of your photos and I'd really like to find them.

Lauren

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Lauren, click on my username and then click on Photobucket Account for the photos.

Dax

I'm sorry, I misunderstood and I see now that they are all in PhotoBucket. I went through every photo you have and I spotted that P. sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper' and that P. strobus 'Northway', very nice, very nice indeedy! I saw some of your photos at the Conifer Society yesterday and those were absolutely spectacular.

I don't know if you have the time but we don't have a photo over here by us for P. sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper' and we don't even have a PlantFiles entry for P. strobus 'Norhway' let alone a photo so would you please do the honor of adding yours when you have a spare moment. Here's the entry to 'Hillside Creeper' and if you are in a position to add a photo, scroll to the bottom of the entry and there will be a place to click to add your own image of the plant-
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/119238/index.html

You would have to create an entry for the P. strobus 'Northway' to be able to add an image and that can be a little tricky the first time you do it but don't worry because if you make a mistake, somebody will come along to bail you out.

I have a couple questions for you. If you sell your home and buy a new place, will you be able to take your greenhouse with you? How many of your plants would you be able to relocate to a new property? I apologize for this next one but I am a female... where did you buy the upholstery that you have on that chair? The fabric with all the little Christmas Trees on it is the fabric I am referring to. That's realy nice.

OK, where'd my whole post go???

editing to add that what I typed didn't appear just a few minutes ago. My computer must need its cache cleared or something.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2006 10:22 AM

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Lauren,

When I sell, I'll check to see if the next owner likes conifers as I'll include that in the price. I don't mind starting all over again. Or, you know, I'll simply take them with me. That's no big deal.

The fabric my Mom and I found at a fabric store called Northwest Fabrics I believe. Style baby, style!

I'll eventually get to adding photos to this website, some that is. However, they're all at the ACS Website anyway and that's the most important place really speaking in general that they should be. You'll need to understand that I already have 500 photos + and I plan to take a photo of every Conifer at the US National Arboretum and nearby gardens. That brings the total into the 2500 range. That's a lot of photos! Visit the ACS more often, that's what it's there for.

The greenhouse, I'll have my bud build me one this time, a custom build.
(He's the guy who did my kitchen if you happened upon those photos as well). He's a workhorse, charges little, and does it all, and happens to be a family friend.

Lata,

Dax

Ha, the kitchen photos I breezed by because my own kitchen is a veritable potting shed again and I so hate to see clean kitchens when mine is totally trashed. Sorry, I'll go back and take a peek at the handiwork.

We don't have a Northwest Fabrics around here, only a Joanne's Fabrics and Calico Corners which mostly sells quilting supplies so those fabrics are cottons and that won't work. We have a little place up north that has many conifers on the property and I was thinking that fabric would look nice on a sofa and loveseat we have up there. Sooner or later something will show up that has that Adirondack feel to it that I like in an actual upholstery fabric. I wanted some coordinated throws too.

Say Dax, what's on your "to lust for" conifer list? Give me the name of about 3 that you want really really really bad. Just cruious.

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

I ordered Picea englemannii 'Blue Angel' from Bob Fincham.
Pinus parviflora 'Bergman' from Dennis Dodge.
And, I suppose I want. . . Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst'...wait, I ordered that too!

And if I can dream, I've been waiting for a narrow upright and weeping Pinus parviflora with a strong central leader.

That's all. lol

Dax

Uh oh, you ordered everything you wanted that you could get your hands on. So much for my train of thought on that as it's blown out the door.

Your kitchen is very nice and clean. Let's trade kitchens!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

How much property you got?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Dax I wanted to read this through but when I read this [quote]/ they've had an intrusive infectious inculcative effect[quote] I fell apart with anxiety. Am I going to catch something reading your threads. LOL I hope I will have a new place to stop, heading home to Michigan this spring to retrieve my canoe. Might I come and see all you have? I will wear my biohazard suit. *Abies koreana ‘Silberlocke’ How old is your. I just started mine last year out of a 2 gal. No ponderosa pine? You must be young no one my age can resist having part of the "Ponderosa" Yeah Paw. Steve

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Sofargoneitshopeless:

It's already got you in its clutches. The first thing to go are the typing skills (re: [quote]/).

Next is the firm grasp on (zonal) reality, as I wander off to find my slides of all of Sid Waxman's collection and start slobbering for the Sciadopitys....

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Steve,
Wow, beautiful landscape and home. I wish I had that much space to plant!!!

Yes, you will catch "Trying-to-buy-every-conifer-known-to-humankind-itis" if you keep reading threads on conifers and looking at their associated pictures. This is a very REAL disease. Beware!!! Consider yourself warned...

And, how can you be zone 4b (sorry, this is the zone-denial that VV speaks of) in Kalispell, MT? I would think that you should be zone 2, at least!!! (:o) It sure would make me feel a lot better knowing you are in a colder zone in Montana than I am in Minnesota.

VV,
You should have NO problem growing Sciadopitys in zone 5b!?! You can slobber all you want, just make sure you're standing over a Sciadopitys that's planted on your property so you don't waste all of that valuable moisture. (:o)
Mike
(Sciadopitys and Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula' (or whatever its correct name is now) are two of the plants that I am lusting after and zone-denial is very strong when it comes to wanting to purchase these plants.)

This message was edited Mar 4, 2006 11:51 AM

Dax, About 5 acres here in Illinois and quite a bit more in the UP.

Where can I order seed of northern Pinus strobus, P. banksiana, P. rigida, and Larix laricina?

And where do I go to order a few P. sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper'?

Is this the nursery of the Bob Fincham mentioned above-
http://coenosium.com/ ?

And is this the nursery of the Dennis Dodge mentioned above- http://bethlehemnursery.com/ ?

And why can't I find information on Pine Glen Nursery in Pulaski PA that might be owned by somebody named Joe Stupka? Don't they do mail order?

Here's one that might be local but it doesn't appear they do mail order, Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery? http://www.richsfoxwillowpines.com/

What can people tell me about these trees-
Ginkgo biloba 'Autumn Gold'
Pinus banksiana 'Uncle Fogy'

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

EQ,

Re Rich's Foxwillow pines: You'll be kicking yourself if you don't make a trip to his place. As you know its in Woodstock. If you go, I can tell you where to see(in Woodstock) the most beautiful weeping mulberry I have ever seen-very old too.

P.banksiana 'Uncle Fogy' - fast growing, like any banksiana. And still exhibits the ability of producing more than one whorl of branches per year. An irregular semi-prostrate, twisty branched shrub kind of thing. Needles same as species, and just as easy to grow. Will need lots of room. Named after a persona on an old WCCO radio show, because in later years, the man who played Uncle Fogy was always laying back in his chair. Kind of interesting in that no one here seems to know the provenance of it. (WCCO was THE original AM station in Minneapolis.)

Re seed: try this: http://itascagreenhouse.com/page3.html
reasonably price seedlings too. Or, if your willing to wait a year, I could collect wild seed of strobus, banksiana, laricina. And rigida that is hardy up here.

Leftwould

Thanks Rick, I'll take a drive over to Woodstock with my girlfriend. I want a P. banksiana 'Uncle Fogy' and he had it I think... don't know for sure because I looked at so many websites yesterday for Conifers that my mind is swirling. One thing is for sure, I'm probably going to order the L. larcina in plugs from your nursery above but the plugs aren't available until fall of this year which is probably just fine. The area I want them for is wet, very wet. And yes, I'll take you up on seed collection for me on strobus, banksiana, and rigida. Thanks for offering.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, if no one else is going to comment...

Epicurean:

Ginkgo biloba 'Autumn Gold' is a reliable male clone that forms a broad conical to pyramidal habit which colors up brilliant yellow in fall. It "makes up" as a young tree better than many of the other male selections available. Dirr rates in as one of the best in fall color (though I'm trying to remember a ginkgo that I've ever seen that did NOT have great color), 50'x30' with age, and introduced by the Saratoga Horticultural Foundation, CA around 1955. That might be the search character to enter to find out definitive information on this plant (as well as a host of other common shade tree clones).

I'll second Leftcould's nomination of Rich's Foxwillow Pines (which I'd thank Kevin for introducing me to) as a go-to place for visiting, and a halfway house to bankruptcy if you've no self-control.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
a halfway house to bankruptcy if you've no self-control

That's true, but the other side of the story is that Rich and Susan have Peace Corps background and donate to charities from their profits. It's almost like supporting an NPO when you buy from them.

Guy S.

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

The most beautiful weeping mulberry:
downtown Woodstock, one block off of highway 47(to the west) on 20(or 120). My, that was almost 10 years ago. Hope it's still there.

Regarding the pine seeds, just call me Leftwill Leftwood.
Hmmm . . . . . . that sounds a little left-handed. Well, you know what I mean.

Ahhhhhh, wonderful person Kevin is. He introduced me to Great Lakes Nursery and a few others a few years ago. I've been in the class of "Halfway to bankruptcy" ever since. He never mentioned Foxwillow Pines to me. He must have been holding out. I'm sold on getting over there because of this-

Quoting:
Rich and Susan have Peace Corps background and donate to charities from their profits
My MIL wants to take a drive over there with me. She likes Evergreens. It will be a nice day when we go, I'm sure I'll come home with some goodies.

Hey Rick, I ordered the book.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Ahem (Clearing my throat.)

For those of you who are fans of Rich's Foxwillow Pines, I hope you'll also share your feedback for the benefit of others: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/1328/

We often hear from the vendors - especially the smaller, less-well-known vendors - who REALLY appreciate the feedback. They don't have huge advertising budgets, so it's one of the few ways they can get their name "out there". And high praise from satisfied customers is priceless ;o)

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

OK, I'm a real babe in the woods (pun partially intended) on the proper Latin names, but am learning, so bear with me. I'm also new to DG & newly-addicted to conifers so my list is puny compared to the wonderful lists I've seen here. I'm trying to create a conifer garden or sorts where we need some year-round green as well as partial screen (that's the excuse anyway). Some of these I planted last year in some new beds by our pond/patio. Others are in various locations or in the new conifer area:

Japanese Garden Juniper (a Juniperus horizontalis)
Chamaecyparis pisifera 'golden mop' (2)
Chamaecyparis pisifera 'filifera nana' (3)
Chamaecyparis obtusa - Hinoke False Cypress (I can't recall which dwarf variety but I love this little guy) (1)
Cryptomeria japonica Gyokurku (1)
Cryptomeria japonica 'Taisho Tamasugi' (4)
Cryptomeria japonica 'Globosa nana' (3)
Thuja occidentalis 'Rheingold' (1) - a favorite
A few Leyland Cypress in the conifer garden
Several acres of southern pine
Lots of eastern red cedar (I'm transplanting some of these to other areas)

I've also been considering a dwarf Podocarpus as well as some of the other larger varieties. Do any of you have any experience with these in zone 7?

Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Rich's is certainly an interesting place to visit! Most of what they have is specimen sized oddities, but they do sell small plants as well. I am proud to help people like Equilibrium in their life journey into horticultural bankruptcy. I never mentioned Rich's to you Equil because you swore off large B&B plants I thought, as well as non-natives. Even if you had, it would be a place worth visiting. Bring wheelbarrows full of cash. On the other hand, let me plug the affordable source of conifers that I use, and that is Carino Nurseries www.carinonurseries.com in PA. I ordered another 50 of their 6 year old transplant Hemlocks for less than the price of a single 5' tree in a local nursery. These are nice sized, some up to 3' tall, with excellent root systems. I have seen the same size plants at Lowes for up to $50.

Yes, it is true I swore off B&B's. You got me on that one. I lost so many American Yellowwoods that I've lost count. There were others I lost too. The big B&Bs don't transplant well by me. Best to go with juvenile species. Is all they have over there B&Bs? I suppose enough years have gone by that I could try one or two from them or maybe three or four ;) The sting of defeat is gone and if I really twist my own arm I could try just a few little ones. If they're smaller that is. Besdies which, I have all that money in my mattress that I saved buying from all your other sources when I stopped buying big B&Bs. No more of these huge honkers that they deliver on a flat bed. I have to put my foot down somewhere.

UH oh! I'm in trouble-
http://www.carinonurseries.com/decvar.htm
At prices like those, no sense holding back. The only thing raising my eyebrow bigtime would be the Sawtooth Oak and the Autumn Olive???

Presque Isle, WI(Zone 3b)

Kevin, are these what you graft onto? Ken

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

This first thread is getting pretty long, so I've started a continuation of this thread here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580953/

Please use the above link for future posts.
Thanks,
Mike

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well I fell off the thread and my watcher left me. Any way Tree watcher we are blessed in the Montana NW with mild northern winters due to the westerly push over the pacific NW. Also we have a large lake, Flathead, that keeps the area mild. 4b
VV I am having dementia and need to do it over and over and keep learning. [quote]/

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Equil,

Just wanted to let you know I submitted a photo of Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper'. Sorry if I came off with my words when I said 'The Conifer Society is the most needed or 'most important' place for adding photos and information to. I'll try to stock Dave's up. Nice website!

Dax

XOXO!

Say, I spotted a nice Pinus unknownucus and I want to try a few cuttings. Yes, I know, probably not the greatest idea but I want to go for it anyway. Would you add your pearls of wisdom here-
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/580953/

Oh oh oh! I can't find the photo yet but I did see that you added your first plant entry! Wooo hooo! Congratulations!

Rock Island, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Equil,

I never stopped...

I've added quite a few. Starting with 'The Harper Collection' and am about to finish Larix.

I'll get them all in there..

Dax

XOXO

When you get a break, I've got a question out there about starting a Pinus unknownucus from a cutting. I forgot where my question is but when you have a spare moment, the question is out there somewhere.

Thanks much, Lauren

I'm going to Rich's Foxwillow Pines Nursery tomorrow. I've ordered a few of the Pinus sylvestris 'Hillside Creeper', one P. banksiana 'Uncle Fogy', one Ginkgo biloba 'Autumn Gold' (I forgot who suggested that but I decided I needed one), one G. biloba ‘Princeton Sentry’, one Taxodium distichum 'Fastigiata', and depending on how their Metasequoia glyptostroboides, Dawn Redwood ‘Gold Rush’ look... I may add one of those too. Happy Dance!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Equil, stop by downtown Woodstock while there. It is a nice little town square. You'll love Rich's place. Enjoy and hope your tax refund came in.

Umm, tax refund? What is that? The prices weren't that bad. I think the most expensive plant I'm buying is the 'Uncle Fogy' at $210 but I think that was a 5 gallon. The 'Fastigiata' was only $175. I forgot what the others were but they weren't that bad. I haven't purchased any B&Bs for a while because I was losing them left and right. The larger plants just don't transplant well for me so this is a treat to me from myself with my husband's check book. Wheeeeeeee, what fun! Wanna meet me and Dode up in Woodstock somewhere for lunch tomorrow?

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I have about half of 15 yards of topsoil and 1 nap to move it during, so even though I would love to, I will have to decline the offer. I will probably be going up there soon to get a Hoopsii and a Fagus S. Purple Pendula. Those are my two large purchases for the year, at least from Ted's. My wife is ready to shoot me as it is.

Tandil, Argentina(Zone 10b)

What's going on? Nobody likes Podocarpus or Agathis?
If I'm not mistakenwe have six families under the word "conifer":

1) Araucariaceae.
2) Podocarpaceae.
3) Pinaceae.
4) Cephalotaxaceae.
5) Taxodiaceae.
6) Cupresaceae.

Nobody likes any tree from the first two families?

I have:
Podocarpus gracilior.
Podocarpus falcata.
Araucaria angustifolia.
Araucaria bidwillii.
Cephalotaxus harringtonia.
and different types of Cupressus, Juniperus, Taxodium; Cedrus and Pinus.

Hi Willis, shame you can't join us. We're wild and crazy gals. We want to see their big American Conifers! Aside from losing out on our company, you're gonna miss a lunch paid for with my husband's credit card.

Hey Gustichock, welcome to DG!

Yes, 6 families under conifer. If you have a digital camera, please show us your conifers! Let us see those Araucariaceae and Podocarpaceae!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

There is a good bar/restaurant on the west side, I think, of the town square. It is kinda sunken below grade. They had good burgers from what I remember. Good tacos from a little taqueria near the NW corner of the square also. Then again, if it is on the house I think there was a French place there also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.