I just got plant from this ebay person and...

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

i just received these plants from a lady from ebay...I just have to brag about my newest family members. These are nice size plants and arrived packaged very nicely with a heating pack in there....I paid a total of $24 including shipping and heat pack. She has lots of nice plants on her site, i hope someone can find someone they like.

http://stores.ebay.com/Blossoms-Birds-and-Butterflies

Char

Thumbnail by red_princess_71
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I am looking at some begonias and philos for sale by this ebayer. Glad you had success, make me more comfortable with bidding. Thanks for the info.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thank you, Char!!

I thought I knew who all the good sellers were on ebay, (lol!) ....guess not!

And there's one there (in your photo....well, at least one...so far) I've been 'coveting'....she has another one available so I bid on it.

Good luck with your new additions!

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Nan,
You are so welcome...I bet i can guess which one it is....is it the Prayer Plant/ Calathea ORNATA ~PINK STRIPES...I prayed hard for that, finally won it for 4.50, which i think is a great price..it is beautiful in person.

Well hope you win your baby, you wont be disappointed.

Char

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

lol!! You stinker...now how'd you guess that?!
You're right!! I've been trying to get ahold of one of those for quite some time.

The local greenhouse had one a while back...but it was $25 and not a big one by any means.

I forgot to mention that I wasn't bidding against you on anything (I'd *never* do that!)....by checking out the sellers auctions, I have a feeling I know what your ID is! Ü

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Nan,

I just guessed cause that is the prettiest one on there...it is georgous...to bad she does not have one for buy it now, like she has some of the others. And to be honest never ever thought about being outbid by anyone on here...I dont know id's on here and the id's on ebay....i guess i should pay better attention, maybe i outbid someone here :o(..anyway we go with my husband's ID on ebay ;) and it is dataid4....but i am also tempted to get some more plants off of her, that is how nice they are and how excellent they were wrapped.

Char

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Well...you're a sharp cookie!!

I had that one a few years back when it first came out on the market...(I had a plant seller *slash* friend in Florida who was very generous to me)...it's one of many that I lost when my son was ill.

Now here I thought maybe *you* were bidding on one of those begonias, and the ID was red_fairie or something like that!!

Mine's washjn.

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I was looking at some angel wing begonias and philos. I will stay clear of what you two bid on. mine is ascjboyken. Good luck.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh i am not bidding on anything from her now...you guys have fun and win win win....you wont be sorry, but i will keep in mind your names

Char

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Good...I'm glad you mentioned your ebay 'handles'....as I won't bid on anything you're bidding on, either!

I'm only bidding on the Calathea Ornata.....I'm guessing she'll have another of those up when that one's over as Char got one she's pictured above!

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I have probelms growing the Calathea, I have had three, one died, and the other two are surviving barely.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I'll tell you a secret that I read about Calatheas and tried that worked for me.

WARM ROOTS......We used to have a console TV that was in front of an east window....my Calatheas did really well there.....then my DH bought one of those new TV's with the sloped top.......aarrgghh!! No more Calatheas on top of the TV.

I always thought that if the room was warm enough that the roots would be warm enough...made sense.....but I've lost a few that were *not* on top of the TV or something similarly warm.

But...if you can find a place similar to that....you won't believe the difference.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Well, poo, Char....I've been outbid...hmm...

I didn't bid very high, and usually....if I get oubid...I leave it at that.

So I'm curious (if you're out there....there's only 3 hours left!) as to what size yours is? If it's pretty good sized, I'll bid higher, but if small...I'll wait.

I note the seller says '5 oz. solo cup' but that doesn't give me a great idea of the size.

TIA!

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

close to a heater vent should work then. I may order the one you are not bidding on.

I have bid on the two phillys, however the bid ends while on my way home from work. I hope I get them. I saw you were outbid.

I have been wanting those phillys for a while and the price is great.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, don't you hate that?! lol!

Hope you get your Philos!
Let us know!

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Nan,

I think it is well worth it....Mine has 7 leaves plus a new leaf that is coming out now....i paid $4.50...wait till the last few minutes to bid..that is what i do...do you have dsl or dial up? If you would like...tell me what your highest bid is and I will bid for you, if you have dial up. Just let me know :o)

Char

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I have DSL however in my truck I have none. I was going to bid my highest before I leave work to drive home. Hope I get them. I really wan them.

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

Nan,

I just wanted to let you know that I did not see that you were bidding on that..so i bid on it and won it for you....dont worry about paying me back, cause i dont want anything for it.
Hope you in enjoy it.

Char

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I won my phillys however didn't win my angelwing begonias I wanted.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Tried to post this as a "new post" but for some reason the site and I aren't getting along today...so here it is instead:

Noticed the previous posting and thought if it's not already been discussed...maybe we could share our experiences good and bad with sellers. That way we know who to avoid and who we can feel safe buying from. Thoughts? Oh..btw my ebay name is RdAngel07 - just an FYI as I thought it was good ya'll had mentioned it.
Chantell

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Char.....what?! You bid on the Calathea ornata?
I'm confused....the other person who bid on it was new...was that you?

Or am I 'way befuddled, here'?! (nuthin' new!!)

I left work before you'd posted, and I don't get online at night (or on weekends) and have a 40 minute drive home from here.

Gosh, if you won it for me I'm just dumbfounded.

I'll have to send you a Dmail.

So glad to hear you won your philos, snboyken!
I'm sure more AW begonias will come up.

Wish I could help you out with those, but I have only one and it's not big enough to cut.

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Glad you got your Calathea after all, I moved mine last night near heater vents on floor. Maybe this will help mine. Thanks for the suggestions.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks! Glad you got your philos, too.

This is probably a stupid question, but is the heat going to blow directly on your Calathea?

I think I've got it figured out, Char.
I just checked my home email address, and got a 'second chance' offer on that Calathea.....is that why?

Whatever it is.....THANK YOU!! I owe you!

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

not directly over vent so it shouldn't, would it be unhealthy if it did.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I didn't think so.
Since they prefer higher humidity than most indoor plants, the heat blowing directly on it would probably dessicate the leaves pretty quickly.

But if the heat isn't blowing directly on it...should be OK.

Just be sure to watch the watering....and maybe a pebble tray or a saucer filled with water with an inverted pot sitting in it for the Calathea's pot to set on would help a lot.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I *had* posted a reply to this, snboyken.....dont' know what happened to it.....I've been having some trouble with the DG site today, too.

If the heat blows directly on the Calathea it will dessicate/dry out the leaves pretty quickly.

Just be sure to watch the watering (keep it moist, don't allow it to totally dry out) and if you can, maybe add a pebble tray or a water-filled saucer with an inverted pot sitting in it for the Calathea's pot to set on to add humidity.

lol!! Well...*there's* my other post....sorry about the duplicate.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2006 11:24 AM

Kellyville, OK(Zone 7a)

I posted this pic before but I am amazed that my Prayer Plant is blooming. I have it on my computer desk and water it from the bottom. John It is putting on several new blooms today.

Thumbnail by carrjohn
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Red Princess:

Did you find your Pink Princess Philo?

GH

Lilesville, NC(Zone 7b)

GH,

No I never did get it, Nan said she would send me some in about a month or 2 if her's does good and grows.
Why do you have one, that i can get a slip off of? if so that would be awsome :o)

Char

Asheville, NC(Zone 7a)

I bought plants from this eBay person. She was very** nice in emails; packed them extremely well including heat pack and of the 6, 2 are thriving, 2 I think will make it in time and 2 I think are going to be lost. I have decided not to buy plants on eBay anymore. I also bought from another seller and went to my local nursery this morning and the identical plant was there--half the price, twice as big and a picture of health and soundness. And there are still some coming from other sellers so I don't know what their condition will be. I jumped the gun and got too excited about my spring garden too fast. If I had just taken a deep breath and waited a couple of weeks, there would be plenty of plants for me to buy locally without the high shipping costs and the anxiety about their state upon arrival. Live and learn, right?
ruby

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Red,

Keep me abreast of Nan's progress with her plant. I may be able to send you a cutting in about the same time as her.

GH

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

If you sell something on eBay and get multiple bidders, one of the things you can do after the auction is offer the non-winning bidders "Second Chance offers" - which means they can buy your item (assuming you have more of the same thing!) for the same price as the winning bidder. So the seller obviously has more left and was hoping Nan would buy one from her so she wouldn't have to re-post them. It's very nice that she doesn't have to now. :-)

~ Marylyn

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

indyfilmz - Thanks for posting, you reminded everyone an important lesson... It is good to frequent local nurseries or even community plant swaps first and save the online buying for rarer items not available locally. Supporting the local businesses is a good thing. Buying locally if you have to pay a little more it usually works out to the same cost as you save on the shipping costs. The benefits are you can check the health of the plant personally before buying. But it is hard this time of year -- I know. I went to the RI Flower Show last weekend and bought a few plants that I hadn't planned on!

Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.