February Daily Weather Wants vs Needs part II

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We got 0.7 inches of rain over the past couple days. Whatever is left over should be headed to Nevada.

I went outside to do some things but didn't stay long. It is "freezing" with no sun. (You folks up north can feel free to laugh at me.)

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on February 19, 2006
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
48 °F / 9 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 74%
Dew Point: 40 °F / 4 °C
Wind: Calm

I went through Pahrump once. We were going to a wildlife refuge in that area. It might have been in May of that year. It was as hot as the blazes. We also went to the Devils Hole pupfish place, which is in the middle of nowhere. I was hot and cranky and decided to put on lighter weight shoes for the trip back to LV. I ended up accidentally leaving my other shoes at the pupfish place. (Fortunately, they were old.) A couple years later we were at Salt Creek in Death Valley, which has another species of pupfish. Here, someone had lost or forgotten her sandals. What is it about pupfish places that causes people to lose their shoes? ;-)

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

No idea, I wouldn't wear sandals there...not a fan of snakebite :). Incidentally that area is also home to the Amargosa toad and a few other species found only around here.

Yes, it does rain here, trouble is it often does it all at once...major league flash floods not uncommon. When they announce a flash flood warning it is not a joke.

Currently it is 41F, with 71% humidity!!!!! Dew point is 32F. Calm and overcast.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Dana, I know about those 'when it rains it pours' sort of rains. Last coupla years we'd be glad even for those kinda rains. /;-)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

We had floods in El Paso too. They had them so seldom they wouldn't build a decent storm drain system. If it was raining one didn't drive into an Underpass as it could fill with water before one got to the other side. One or two people would drown when we had a down pour.
Glad ya'll are getting all that rain and I hope Blooms gets some too.
Sidney

Well it's overcast and 64º, Dew point 51 °, Humidity 69%, Wund NW at 4.9 mph
Gonna try to dry sheets on the line.
Sidney

This message was edited Feb 20, 2006 12:25 PM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Nature tried. We got a half inch of snow overnight coating every branch in sight. It's gone now except in the shade. and no, the ground is not wet, where the ground is now bare there is not a bit of moisture on it. It all has simply evaporated into the air.

Now: 39*
Hum 78% - (all that evaporating snow)
DP 33*
Wind 5mph

Hey Casey did you see any of the snow at your place in Vegas?

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

Currently 45° with a projected high of 48°
Humidity 41% and dropping
Dew point 22°

Will likely get warmer than projected, bright and sunny today with no wind.

While I'm thinking about it I have to ask: has anyone else noticed an odd pattern of night time temperature jumps? Did it again last night, a sudden 4° jump around midnight. I've been seeing this all this winter, about 5 nights out of 7, usually between 9PM and midnight. Varies from a tiny one or two degrees to as much as 12° (jumped all the way up to 58° one night in mid-January). Not at all a normal pattern for high desert nights.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

A beautiful but cool day.
Low 12 F high 34 F, dew point 3. Light SW winds, perfectly clear sky.
Finally a day warm enough to take Sidekick Sarah for a long overdue walk.
Andy P

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Dana, I'll try to keep check on that upward jump.
Moab sits in a valley , hence the mountains at the east end of the valley influence the temps majorally just before dawn when the cold air on top plunges into the valley. pushed by the warming air on the east side of the mtns.

then in the afternoon, as soon as the west side cliffs are shaded we get the cooling effect of that air moving towards us.

I don't remember any mtns right near Pahrump AND a RISE in temp wouldn't be in order anyway. mmmm

It's still only 39* out which means the SLC tv guys are nearer to right with their predicted high of 41* and so where did the WC get their 48* estimate???

The porch roof was white with frost this morning. I didn't see any frost on the grass.

Feels much warmer out now than the numbers indicate. A neighbor and I stood on her driveway and talked for about 2 hours and it was a pleasant as could be.

Updated: 12:51 PM PST on February 20, 2006
Observed At: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
56 °F / 13 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 34%
Dew Point: 28 °F / -2 °C
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.14 in / 1021 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 5 out of 16

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

It has snowed on and off the last few days here. Temp 30-32 F.
Janett

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

48F (52 projected)
Humidity 13%
Dew point -2F
Projected low 30F

Calm and sunny

Janett_D, saw your pics in another thread. Just beautiful, looks like something out of a fairy tale but I'm certain I'd die in all that cold :).

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Have you heard the word hibernation before?rotflol that is almost what I do wintertime :0))
Janett

74.3 °F / 23.5 °C,Dew point, 54 °F / 12 °C, Humidity 50% WNW at 3.1 mph partly cloudy. Gonna go out and put some Mighty Plant on my flowers.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sheezzz, Miss a couple of days of DG and it takes a long read to catch up w/you'se guys & gals, - I had to make a couple of trips up to the lake house and get the DW's water unfroze and running again. -

54½° (F), 46%, clear and sunny.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Fog/Mist 60°F (16°C)
Humidity: 93 %
Wind Speed: E 8 MPH
Barometer: 29.93" (1014.0 mb)
Dewpoint: 58°F (14°C)
Visibility: 4.00 mi.

There is a 30-50% chance of rain all week. The big rodeo starts next week and this weekend the traildrivers come into town. One group of them are going to gather in the parking lot of a closed grocery store about 2 blocks away from me. I'm hoping it won't be raining so I can take the bunnies over to see them. This is the first time I've hoped it would NOT rain for quite a while! LOL

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Warmer here...in the 40s today after 20s last night.

32º now

Today [ Feb. 22] was almost an exact repeat.

This message was edited Feb 22, 2006 9:23 PM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Where'd everybody go?
Hi of 48* today..
Wide blue sunny skies.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Blooms, I think it's the "Zonal Flow" of the Jet streams. Everything is settled, no big storms...
Today was the same as yesterday which was the same as the day before.
Low 21F, hi 41F, Pew point 20 light west wind, partly cloudy.
Typical February day for Southern New England.
Actually warm enough for me to wash the car and walk the dog.
I've started to hear song birds in the morning. First sign of Spring to me.
Andy P

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

Been warm and getting warmer, no frosts on the horizon so I was outside working :).

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Where'd everybody go?
Hi of 48* today..
Wide blue sunny skies.
Enjoy what you get. /;-)~
Haha, I had trouble posting this
so you had time to answer before I posted

This message was edited Feb 22, 2006 8:47 PM

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Was just checking my weathersite and this has been a record long winter. The south part of Sweden hasent been snowcovered without interruption for this long since 1982. I sure hope the spring comes soon or atleast that the snow melts away.

Cloudy and 30F............as if this was weather news(forcast) :0)) Its more like a neverending boring rerun.
Janett

I came to Charlotte, NC yesterday. Raked some wet leaves and took DS out to dinner. Getting DM's house ready for new realtor.
Be in Greensboro tonight.
Here it's 50.4 °F / 10.2 °C, 49 °F / 9 °C, 94%, NNE at 1 mph. It's overcast but sunny by lunch.
Sidney

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

Currently 65F, Humidity 13%, Dew Point 13F, expected low of 35F.........can't complain. Best of all: forecast calling for RAIN tuesday and wednesday!!!!

Hear that BloomsWithaView? Wet stuff going to fall out of the sky, huge front moving in so with a little luck......off to do a little raindance :).

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

High wind advisory today.
Low this AM 28 F Hi 33 F Now 31F. Dew point 8, partly cloudy.
We had a cold front come through around noon with flurries. The wind really picked up with gusts to 48 mph from the north.
Looks like we might get the coldest of the season this weekend.
Poor Sarah, no walks for a few days.
Andy P

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I tried to post earlier but my connection to the world went haywire.
Dana, thanks for the heads up. It would sure be nice for the both of us to get some moisture. We won't have a wildflower to be found at this rate

60* out and clear and sunny and the snow is dang near gone from our mountains.... shouldn't be seeing rock at this time of year up there. NOT good.

February is up to its usual nasty tricks no doubt about it.

Pahrump, NV(Zone 8b)

I hear ya. Mt. Charleston "normally" is snow covered down to about 4,000-5000 feet until April, this year it has a sprinkling of fairy dust at the very peak.

Wildlife is hurting for forage, chased a coyote off my back porch this morning. My yard is one of the better critter delicatessens in town but he's going to have to hunt a bit further back from the house.

All the same I have a feeling some of my low-land neighbours might want to invest in canoes. A really nasty monsoon season following a really dry winter would not be without precedent.

Still in North Cackelacky,
Sunny and mid sixties today. While getting up wet leaves and pruning back dead Hydrangea canes I touched the 30 year old natural gas grilll and it keeled over.
Support pipe rusted out. Luckiky gas is turned off and supply line is flexable.
Sidney

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Blue skys - sunshine - 30 MPH winds send the windchill down to 15 ° this am.
Temps got up to 40 - but high winds. Supposed to be even colder this weekend.

My daughter in Fla. says the Coleus cuttings I sent her last fall are growing brilliantly and she took them inside during the cold spell last week.

I will plant coleus seed 3/1/06 no matter what the weather is like outside.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

The sun is shining and its 34 F

I am SO MAD, a good friend of mine went to the news papers after his fiance screamed petrol about my water the first time she drank it, and she didn't know anything about the gas station.
The reporter where here yesterday and he had done some research and told me that Shell has known about the leaking tanks since the 70ths. The underground cisterns have been rusting ever since then and they have patched them up with plastic from the inside. Despite what they knew they still didn't check our water ones.
Shell owns the pumps and the cisterns and the gasstation sell on provision. The last tree years the stationowners have been at Shells back on missing fuel and diesel and Shell blamed it on the stationowners for "counting wrong" "taking to little pay from the customers" a.s.o. they bought the station/motell four years ago and went bankrupt this winter.
The excrutiating pain I had that made me go to the hospital didnt come from my intestine it was a watercyst (female problem) that burst (watertumor not dangerous but painfull) and they opened my stomach and they discovered that my Colon intestine was inflammated and had start to leak out to my bouwl. I have a VERY high treashold to pain and if I hadent got that watercyst I may never have gotten as far as the hospital. The effects of this had been the same as if a fully inflamed appendic had burst and everyone knows how few survives that, even in these days.
I cant prove that it is the water that caused this to my Colon but I absolutly know that it didnt help one bit. Would any of you put even one drop of petrol in a gallon of water and drink it 24-7 for tree years even if the "guidelines" say it is a non poisinous/deadly limit. It sure isnt healthy
I dont know how they are gonna fix this or even if it is possible, my well is deepdrilled and its below the sealevel. my water comes from 300 feet below the sealevel and its 500 feet deep in total. That is pretty scary to think about how bad is the ground poisoned higher up
Sorry for this ranting and to put this on you, but I didnt know where to turn to get some of this off my chest before I explode.I have to solv the water issue somehow cause I still have no other choise but to use this darn water. I cant turn to the neighbour..........he has diesel in his well. Have no car or drivers license so drive in to town doesnt work and Shell..............well they are hiding behind the non dangerous/killing limit zone.
Janett

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Janett, that has happened here in my town also. Some folks just had to give up living in their homes. AND once the stuff is loose in the ground ya can't get it back out. AND getting the gas company involved to correct the situration? [in this case it was Chevron]... they simply dug up the empty tank and sold the property to a Mickey Dee's - tough luck on anyone hoping for compensation.

As much as you like where you are living you may have to move. It's not like they can fix it.... which they really hate to admit to, because if you can't fix it why cause it? I am amazed that it got to a water source as deep as you are drawing on. The best of luck to you tho. ~Blooms

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Oh, I forgot which thread I was on.
Today going to 65* it's 53* out now. was 28* for a morning low.
Total sunshine and no noticeable breeze. A perfect day for a hike on the slickrock... maybe some pictures. ~Blooms

I'm sorry to hear about all that, Janett. There is a little town in central California called Avila Beach and the soil there was contaminated from Chevron storage tanks. They had to tear down a couple blocks of buildings and remove soil. Most everything is built back up again. I don't know where they get their water. I would assume that well water right on the coast might be somewhat salty, but I have no idea.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Low 17 f, Hi 29 now 24, wind SW at 15 gusts to 25. It just started to snow, expecting a few inches. Then very cold for a few days.
Andy P

Janett, don'y know if you get US movies, but Erin Bocklavich is a really good one about ground contamination. I have lived many places with putrid water. One was on the Albermarle Sound in North Carolina where the water had sulphur. Mother always said "Well there never missed my daily vitamins because I always feel like I get them in my coffee."
I hope you can find a great new place to live with some great water.
Sidney
Opps I almost forgot too, I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina working on DM's house to sell. 48.8 °F / 9.3 °C, 47 °F / 8 °C, 93%-drizzle, Calm.
I blew and moved leaves for 3 hours today putting them all in a low spot in the back for compost. she had some 6 inch worms.
Sidney....again

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sidney, didn't know you lived on the Albemarle Sound. I lived in Elizabeth City for a bit.

darius, that seems like a someone we used to know here that must be either so happy or so busy she hardly comes around anymore. LOL
Yes dear lady I was there in 82-83, then Hickory Point - Pamlico Sound, 85-86.
I had tree clostriphobia when I left the High Plains of Texas, so always liked living on water cause I could look half a mile across the water. Weird I know.
Sidney

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Oh yea have seen that one with Erin. boy she knew how to put them in there place. I even saw her and her boss, I think it was on Oprah and they asked her boss if she was that "nasty" with here speach and her boss laught and told that she was even worse live and they had to tone her down in the movie.

How it could go so deep! well that isnt as difficult as it sounds. most parts of this propety is shere rock and the petrol has just followed the natural cracks in the rock down to my well. On many places on this property you can see the rock and on some places it is sand and soil covered.
The independed company that makes the tests and controll the dig so they get as much as possible out of the ground have made "exray" of how the cracks go, "surprice"?......... not at all. Every crack they found goes from the gasstation strait to where my well is. I just watched the footprints in the snow when I knew what they where doing..
Janett

Morning all,
Hope you are sunny too!

Janett, I hope you are facing the overwhelming truth that you are going to have to move. Maybe you can get some government help with this relocation. Sadly there is no other way to deal with water contamination of that level. Thank God you don't own the property that will now be almost impossible to sell. Sorry to have to say that.
Wish you could come to the USA, possibly as a translator.... my banker is Slovokian......we hire diversity here often over US citizens. Go to Monster.com and submit your Resume'.

Now here is where I am today;
Observed At: Charlotte, North Carolina
Elevation: 748 ft / 228 m
37 °F / 3 °C
Clear
Windchill: 28 °F / -2 °C
Humidity: 33%
Dew Point: 10 °F / -12 °C
Wind: 17 mph / 28 km/h from the North
Wind Gust: 26 mph / 43 km/h
Putting DMs house back on the market in the morning then headed back to Jax.
Sidney

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's a cold one here, boys N girls.
We had an inch or two of fluffy white stuff last night. It has mostly evaporated now.
High temp 23 F, low 12, now 14. Dew point -4, wind N at 15 gusting to 30 mph. Wind chill around zero.
If it wasn't for the cold it would be a beautiful day with bright sunny skies.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.