good morning MICHIGANDERS lets yak.....

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hey Dori - it wasn't like that everywhere this AM - the hoar frost I mean. I drive by your place on the way to church every Sunday. This AM, there was a bank of fog that sort of meandered here & there across the landscape, largely motionless because it was dead calm. The one you were in sort of started over near the college & meandered snake-like to the NW from there. I lost sight of it by the time I got to 7 Mile. It was beautiful, but as soon as I drove out of it, the trees & other plants looked normal. It must have known you'd be ready to snap some pics. ;o)

Al

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes it was just beautiful out this morning the fog was magical looking I tried to capture it in this photo but dont know if you can tell-will see after i post! :)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Really nice pics Dori. Winter can be beautiful.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

woke up to 5 inch of the new stuff - pretty in Dec, but yucky in March. Did manage to pick up three pkgs of dahlia tubers at Menards....now that's something to smile about!

Lambertville, MI(Zone 5b)

Nice pictures of the snow. We have had hardly any down here in Monroe county this year. I am worried about my early bloomers. I hope that this mild winter hasn't confused them. Mild winter or not, it is still winter and I can hardly wait for spring! Donna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

It missed me it missed me :P
not even a flake here(knocking on wood)
It is cloudy out again but its not snowing or raining, guess thats a plus!

They say by wed the temps will be in the 50s all the way through the weekend-but rain in there and we could have a lil flooding with the snow melt and rain-but spring is on the way folks!

I have some tomato seedlings a inch high already, no pepprs up yet that i have seen, will have to check them again today, maybe some coaking is what they need ;)

Did some more painting yesteday in the GH with my son dayme and we ate tangerines and had a seed spitting contest-not sure who won! He did get me right on the nose, but i think i hit him more times(experince) We laughed alot and had FUN. He was in shorts and a Tshirt in there, when i said it was warm out there in the GH he was following my snowtracks with a bowl of applejacks in hand! lol

Deann is on her way to Fl today and wont be back with us till after the 21st-wishing you a safe and FUN time dee!

I posted a daylily clump sale in the daylily forum if anyone is interested-there are a bunch of kinds to chose from! Pat and I are ordering a few together!

I hope everyones week is off to a great start!!
dori

It's noon and it is STILL snowing....mother nature is confused...

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Today was a funny temperature day! Snow and then sun, but cold. and wind. then
it died down to dead calm. Michigan! Wait 5 minutes and it will change. Makes
me nuts!

If anyone is curious, Dave and Terry and i decided to change my user id to
our farm name. swilliams8251 was so institutional sounding. lol.

The vet was out today doing shots for the horses. The farrier is coming
on Friday, and on Sunday, my DH leaves again for Wash. DC for 7 days
of worka holic type stuff down there. It does not make it easy here for
me with him gone. I have a cold right now, and it always seems to get
worse now for some reason. Last year it turned into pneumonia but I caught
it quick that time and started taking antibiotics quickly enough from the
docs. and the inhalers, which help a lot. I had it so bad a few years
ago i was in the hospital. ugh. if you want to get sick, go to a hospital.
noisy and dirty and unorganized. dangerous place! they need folks like
us to keep their records straight! with us doing seed and plant records
we can do anything!

I am sprouting like mad here now. I have "its a spicy-a-meat-a-ball" mesclun
salad mixes coming up in the cells. about 5 little leaves per cell. i dont know
whether to transplant or not, as I have never grown mesclun before.

My peas are zooming up and my tomatos are all up. cantaloups are up.
took them about 4 days to sprout! OY. I will be grown out of house and
home in two weeks if this keeps up. anyone have some growth retardent?

If anyone wants to see a neat plant go to
Thompson and Morgans usa site and look at 8741
Scleranthus biflorus. that did it for me!

I also fell in love with Kew Gardens, Violas in blues,
and the Dianthus' plumarius Ipswich pinks mixed 3103.

I am going to try and share an order with a friend. Hope they
are not all sold out.

Has anyone here grown seeds from Angelgrove? They
have tree seeds. I am considering that too.

Well, almost the Ides of March. time is relentlessly
"marching" on towards spring for us. the rains this
year will prove to be good I am wishing so much.
I am tired of dry, hot desert type weather here. the
horses hate the sandy pastures too. we need constant
rain to get Michigan back to NORMAL!!!!

Regards to all
sheri

Wiggly - rain is a coming.....just blink your eyes.

Sunny and gorgeous here this morning....ahhhh, makes a body feel better. I've heard that the docs have been overwhelmed with patients complaining of depression this winter. I have my hand up - I don't recall a year when I have felt the winter funk more than this year. I am positive it is the cloudy weather which was on overdrive in my area.

Time to check the seedlings...no veggies started, just beautiful flowers.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

OMG iI thought sunday was beautiful but today topped it by far! We have a very thick fog(couldnt see the buses)no wind and it floated magically along and of course everything has a thick frosty layer-delisiousa! I said oh im not going to go take pics I just did that the other day. But there I was(freezing)taking pictures and let me tell you it was worth it. wow
It was magical out there, everything glistening and quiet and the fog just drifting here and there and the sun breaking through-just magical wish you guys could have been here!!!

Sheri I saw the name change yesterday in your horsey thread and posted a lil there.
Sorry to hear about your cold-I use to get like that every fall and spring-spent alot of time in the hospital-even my BD! Im hoping all that crud misses me this yr. I hope you get feeling better soon. My dh is in detroit this week working on some huge motor, not sure when he will be back. I learned young to manage without a man around as my day was an engineer on the railroad and left on sunday and returned on fridays, then my first hubby worked for consumers power road crew and was gone the same as dad! I raised 3 lil boys why he was on the road. I am woman hear me ROAR! ;)

I have tomatoes sprouted and more sprouting and hope the peppers arise soon.
Peas will be planted in the garden as soon as we are able to get into it. I try to have them in by april 1st-NO fooling- heheheee We luvz our peas-dont do nothing with them but sit and eat them straight out of their pods yummmy!

Scleranthus biflorus neat plant but zone 7 8 9 it would be an annual here! :(
I luv dianthus they smell so wonderful
Did you check out valueseeds.com Tootsie and I got our order together there-shipping is .99 no matter how much you order! :)

(I am tired of dry, hot desert type weather here)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Mt. Pleasant, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Deann..... I checked it out. I'd sure love to attend 5 classes down in Lansing, but it's just too far. Double darn. What do you mean chat chat chat MARTHA (ooops, I mean NOT!) Don't you have anything better to do than CHAT! Winter has been a real downer for me! Just put me in a funky mood. I don't even care about gardens at this point. Does anyone else have this same feeling or should I just set the whole darn thing on fire and run?
I have an envelope with a dinner plate hybiscus in it. I just looked at it and it looks like a brown pod. What do I do with it? Does anyone have a start for an Angel Trumpet. Does anyone want to come and clean up my gardens this spring? If you do, you get something REALLY WONDERFUL! You get the satisfaction of helping out a lazy crabby ol' woman! It'll make you feel really good and earn you roses in Heaven. Have a good day peoples....... Jacklynn

PS. hello demstratt...... I was down in Lincoln Park last week. I'll be down there off and on over the next few months as I have a dying uncle there and I also have a few visits set up for U of M. I grew up in Taylor. Dads business (where I worked) in Allen Park. and lived in Wyandotte when I first got married. After a while we moved to Nebraska for 12 years. Now here I am again near Mt. Pleasant.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Jacklynn if you ever have the time when your down here stop over for a chat.

Loretta...

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone...wowowo...since Dave changed everything I lost Michigan forum..Dah..for sure...just got thinking about it...and..thought I have not seen that in a while...well I guess I changed it so I will see it come up...today was great...they say 60...this weekend..we live on a lake...it has turned to water...three times already...But then it is Michigan. I am so ready though....I know we all are...Read up, on all the above...read it again...and you will be happy for what we have now...hehehe...ok guys....it is coming...((((( Soon )))) see yeah....smiles..Diana

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Diana
Good to hear from you.

Paul

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Good Morning to all of my Michigan friends...I am sitting here in sunny Florida (Naples) on a dial up computer (groan) takes forever to load...but I had to check out what is going on here in Daves. My daughter who rented this wonderful condo has her little Dell computer, and we are using the free AOL for 1000 hours so can't stay too long on here. I went to my home page and answered a post in another forum from a person nameded WiggleyPaw.....duh! .Did not know it was sheri till I got here...so sheri if your reading this, ignore my invitation for you to come on over to Michigan Forum...I will try and get on and read messages in here when ever I can.....till then, hold the fort down for me....while I suffer here in 75 and 80 degree weather....Tally Ho!!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Deann bring some of that nice weather back home with you,we Michiganders wanna play in the dirt... ;o)))

Loretta...

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Deann
We're heading down there Fri morning for 3 weeks
Save us some sunshne and warm weather.

Paul

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Grumble.
Hope you all get sunburnt.

I am happy and delirious with the aspect of a 60 degree day
on saturday, and maybe tomorrow even.

then, on wxmi tonight, they are starting to say, "a big one
is coming next week, like 10" or so". Great. Its nice to
hear the rain though.

I am starting to get prepared to go down to Tillers and teach
an take classes the end of March for a full week with the Percherons.
It will be nice to get away a little and meet other Percheron and
horse farming people. tomorrow I am going down to Hastings
to look at a stallion who we are considering breeding our JoyJoy
too.

this farm is going to be MUD SOUP in a few days. I don't relish
that part of spring. Out come the knee high muck boots. ugh.
I always lose them in the mud anyway. I hate having to walk through
the frozen and mucky horse poopie mud with one boot on and
one boot gone, in a wet and stinking sock. WaHHHHHHHHH.

Regards to all
sheri

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

sheri.......I think that was more information that we wanted to hear......*g*....

And as for expecting 10 inches of snow .....thats norma.....we Michiganders always expect our April Snow storm....spring here would not be spring if we did not get that......good news is.....its melts in a few days.....

byyyyyeeee from sunny florida.....

Deann

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

It`s 40 and foggy here in Glennie. Supose to have thunderstorm today and then be in the high 40`s low 50,` the rest of the week and rain.
We had to close off the east driveway cause yu could sink to China. That is a sign of spring.
Going to start my seeds in the greenhouse next week. Last year I started them the first week in march and when I put them out the first of June they were already 2 ft tall.and some had blossoms on them. They were real healthy plants. I gave 130 Tomatoe plants to my girlfriend she planted 450 in her garden last year. This year I`m not doing so many. I am doing just a few of 8 kinds. This year I`m going to try all winter have a few plants in the greenhouse. We hooked up the outside wood furnace to it.
Hope all that are in Florida and those that are going have a great time and a safe trip.
I will probably get there , after my son and daughter-in-law move there this spring. He graduates this May and she just returned from 2 tours of duty in Irac,and she has a job waiting for her there.
Everyone HAVE A GREAT DAY!!! Aleta

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Wowzer what a change in weather!!FOG has been thick as peasoup for days and rain!
The temps went up and the snow went down down down!!! Lets pray that we dont see anymore snow till Christmas!!! :)

Most of my tomatoes are sprouted(a few straglers)The peppers are still not up-must take them a while to sprout!

I need an ark my yard is a LAKE-sure would make a great ice skating pond, but id rather see it drain away at this point. The boys want the wind to stop and the temps to drop! lol

I hope everyone that is in FL is having a good time down there! remember your sunsreens! ;)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That certainly would make a nice skating pond.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here is the other side of the driveway-unreal
i do have a small stream in the basement! ;)

Thumbnail by notmartha
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Dori,

Your yard looks like mine. I have puddles everywhere. My driveway is nothing but mud. I'm seriously thinking of getting someone to come in and asphalt it or cement it or something. Problem is you can't get anyone to come out to give you an estimate. I'd say the work ethic up here is 'relaxed' at best. Ha!! I'll keep trying though.

Thank goodness we had our basement waterproofed last year. So far it is still dry as a bone. Good thing since I have a lot of stuff stored down there.

My new pond is overflowing. I wonder how that is going to work after I stock it with fish? I hope they don't all swim down the drainage ditch. Ha! I did have my son dump some leftover fishing minnows in there last fall. I wonder if they're still there.

I have the coolest looking zebra striped woodpecker with a red spot on the back of his head eating the suet out I put out on the deck. I love all the different birds up. When are you supposed to put out your hummingbird food? Anyone know?

Have a great weekend everyone.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

a downy woodpecker
and you have a while to wait for the hummers

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

Sunny and 45 here this afternoon.
Lots of mud!!!!!!!!. The driveway is a mess,had two big trucks come in and sure put some large ruts in.
Did get a new couch and 2 new chairs today. The well men were here and we need a new pump . Yeppeeeeee!!!!
The one that is there now they doen`t even make parts for it anymore., so they have to change a few things to get the new one to fit. They said the one we have should last till monday. I sure hope so ,everytime the pump runs you would swear there is a jet engine in the house.
Everyone have a Great and Safe weekend.....Aleta

Au Gres, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Brenda....

We usually see the hummers around the first week in May, and when the Apple Trees are in bloom.....I usually put up my feeders that first weekend....

Deann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.