Fragrant wish list

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

LOL No, no.... no problem! I bought this iris looong before I ever thought keeping the name might be important. And it bugs me to not know!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Vi, are they candles you make or are they avail at the store?
I have Trapp candles[my fave brand!] and some of them are Orange Vanilla, Cool Cucumber[my fave], Tuberose[ahhh!]. But they play havoc on my sinuses though..... :(

Moby,
No prob! Have you ever posted it on the ID forum or the Iris forum? I had noticed there are quite a few Iris experts here at DG.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2006 1:19 AM

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I'll Dmail you, they are pretty hypo-allergenic (no paraffin wax) and not in any stores.

Moby, I had that problem too with my Iris. I wrote to some big Iris group and they let me see their files. Mine all came from Shreiners about 20 years ago, yet I remembered their names when I saw them. Too bad I lost the link in my recent crashes.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Working on that ID as we spea.... type. :)

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Hay Berryigirl, How well does your Zéphirine Drouhin do from cuttings?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Heavin,
So far I haven't been successful at all........ :(

Lilburn, GA

Berry!!!!!!!!!!!

What a goergous plant is that Mandevilla. I could eat it!

My list would be all secnted and night scented pels and lots of mediterranean plants and herbs. Things like lavender and rosemary. I also love Honeysuckle, jasmine, orange trees and old type very fragrant roses. Cottage garden usually have may scented flowers especially Nicotiana.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Spider! Welcome to DG from another Georgian. You came to the right place, especially this forum, lol. I don't have oranges but do grow lemons and limes (inside for the winter of course.)
Vi

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

jasmerr - I will comment on "Festiva Maxima". I have felt a little shy about PlantFiles, but I guess I really need to jump in and put in my 2 cents worth.

Berrygirl- I am just not fond of red flowers. If given a choice I would take scarlet red over the bluer reds. I had an Eden rose that was grafted, and in the second year it came back kind of black-red. It looked really bad in my garden, due to all the pastels I had planted!

If I had more room, I might do some Monet or Renoir-like red combos, but I really am drawn to other colors more. I can appreciate red in other people's gardens, but if given a pic of a red as opposed to say a peach, I will always go for the peach.

I forgot to mention before that I love the scent of herbs- especially Lavenders and Rosemary. I have a lot of Catmint too, but it can be overpowering sometimes.There are some incredible scents in the Agastache family - weird fruity ones and other more minty types. To me these are sort of the backbone of the scented garden, not just smelling good in bloom, but giving and giving all through the season.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

If you don't like a bright or red rose, an old one which I got from David Austin is the centifolia rose, Fantin-Latour. The catalogue just says a light scent, maybe it is not like the powerful old reds, but it has the most gorgeous scent like I remember as a child, a 'real' old rose scent. It is also very easy, keeps most of it's leaves in winter, needs very little pruning (I just prune off the flowered bits), and grows in a dry, semi shady spot with ease. It will get to a good size, the cat. says 6' x 5', mine has been growing for 7 years and is close on that, perhaps it would get a bit wider rather than tall. the branches tend to bend gracefully, and when full of flower it is a marvellous sight.

The old roses do only have one good flush, but it IS a good one, and a beauty beheld for a short time is sometimes more satisfying in its brief glory than to have something less satisfying for all the season. I too often hear people say 'but it doesn't flower for long', well if they want to miss out on a beauty for the sake of quantity then they are more than welcome to be sick on it.
Her is mine

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Heavinscent you mentioned Rosa rugosa, I have the cultivar 'Hansa', it has the most vibrant flowers, is very tough and doesn't mind dryness. It will spread by underground runners, but mine hasn't gone far, it is surrounded by moisture absorbing plants, and is near a west wall, it can keep the soil moist, but it doesn't always get a lot of rain.

The stems grow quite tall, it doesn't need any severe pruning (it flowers off previous years wood), so just a 'tidy up', the leaves are bright green and lush, different to the normal 'hard, glossy type'. Stems do get covered in lots of fine prickles, good for a hedge to prevent intruders. Greenfly seem to like the leaves, but plenty of ladybirds will fix that, and mine hasn't suffered seriously from them.

The scent is something else, hard to explain, you just have to grow it to experience it!

Pic of mine with a virginia creeper behind, and phormium 'Pink Stripe' next to it. At its other side is an Euonymous japonicus variegata

Thumbnail by wallaby1

close-up of rosa rugosa Hansa

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Wallaby1- you really know my tastes! I have Fantin-Latour, as well as Chapeau de Napoleon, Louise Odier, and Autumn Damask. They are all in that mid-pink range, bloom once and are heavenly! I spent all last summer just going from shrub to shrub sniffing.

Here is another favorite: Albertine with honeysuckle- yummy scent!

Thumbnail by Ivy1

Ivy1 that is gorgeous, the honeysuckle marries in with it so well! I would love more roses, but have so many other plants i have to be happy with what I have, for now anyway. That hasn't stopped me getting the occasional one that just HAD to be bought, when you drop in at a garden centre and there is just ONE left of the most amazing flower and scent. One of my later acquisitions was Just Joey, a huge, frilly, loose hybrid tea, the scent was so overpowering there was no way I would leave it there!

The new stems and leaves are a rich copper/burgundy too, and it is quite robust, sends up really tall stems, and it does repeat flower quite well.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Wow! That is a beautiful, well cared for rose. I love that photo! I like the almost black-purple of the buds coming up behind JJ, and the finely cut foliage coming up underneath. It makes me want to find out what else is in your garden!

I saw an article about Just Joey two or three years ago in a gardening magazine, and they said it was a great plant. I have always wanted one, but haven't seen any at our garden centers. I have a circle garden that I planted with peachy pinks, purples and blues. I often thought JJ would work well in there.

How old is your Just Joey? It looks well established.

Merrimac, WI(Zone 4b)

It is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Jody

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

How beautiful! Wonderful photos too, hope they're in PlantFiles for all to enjoy. Oh, to have a garden in England, wish bugs didn't plague us so here :(

The dark narrow buds standing behind are clamatis Juuli, they climb up thru a white lacecap hydrangea and flower at the same time. The ferny foliage is delphinium belladonna Orient Blue, seed grown and rarely seen, I have recently added photos of those to PF, but not JJ yet, gee, only started using the site around 10th october, already put in 128 photos, 2 today on standby, besides the photo comp kept me busy so had a bit of a break!
This is Evelyn, a David Austin rose, a bit leggy but is used for perfumes

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Ivy1 JJ was planted in Autumn 2002, it is in poor soil but i remembered to feed it this year! The bed was new then, and it has been well mulched with leafy compost, all plants love it.
OK, here's one that smells of lemony fruit salad, you can just stand and eat it all day! It is also quite tall, robust and easy, a floribunda, Crazy For You,

Thumbnail by wallaby1

You can just see CFY behind the phlox Nicky, which is also VERY scented, and at the back of the 2 clematis on the pergola, the white starry one is flammula, a strong almond blossom scent, the burgundy one is Kasmu. The phlox is a very strong purple/fuchsia colour, the rest is possibly a bit strong but not much, it is difficult to caprture the strength of Nicky.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

You're killing me Wally! The only roses that do well for me here are the China Roses and a few mini-roses. You have such a wonderful garden!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What are the red flowers in front of that gorgeous phlox?

violabird can you not find some that do well by looking at other peoples gardens? I have worked at collecting plants since I moved here in 1998, then had to find places to put them, and it has come together well. Thank you for the compliment!

Moby, the red one with dark foliage is dahlia Bishop's Children, they are seed grown, the bed is 4 years old now, they have been in the ground over 3 years. There is a variety of reds, a pink, orange, burnt yellow with reddish ring, but many are a vibrant red. They are bred from The Bishop of Llandaff, hence 'Bishop's Children'

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Thanks ~ very striking plant.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh, Wallaby! Your garden is out of this world! I swear you should send your photos to English Garden magazine. I really like the depth of your pictures- showing the plantings in the background, so the eye just travels from one plant to the next. I am incredibly jealous!

My daughter (5) is really into striped roses. I will show her this one and she'll flip!

Last year I was trying to decide between Nicky and Blue Paradise for my garden. I chose Blue Paradise. Wish I'd gone with Nicky.

Do you have Magnolia trees over there? One of the best things about living in New England is the fragrance of Magnolia blossoms. I have Magnolia "Ricki" (silly name, beautiful plant). It was an impulse purchase - one of those you walk by and just have to have. I wanted that scent to be where I could smell it all the time! I don't havve a picture yet, but maybe this spring I can get one.

Thanks Ivy1, now I have to get my 'magnolia' brain in gear, I have so many plants I forget about some of them!

Your daughter only 5 and liking striped roses? that's great, she will be a gardener when she grows up, I couldn't believe the flower myself, I saw it only the once at my local garden centre, it didn't have a flower but I was suitably impressed by the picture, and I AM glad I bought it. They are Pennels nursery, the same Pennel that bred many clematis, they do have lots of polytunnels but I don't think they grow much now, perhaps clematis, but get a lot of good plants in from the Co-operative growers in Holland, and other growers here, they do seem to get the best selection of roses, some from David Austin, but i bought mine direct bare root, you can choose and think you are getting the best but not always.
Which English Garden magazine is that? I have thought of trying card companies with some, I have 2 folders full in My Pictures of what I think are suitable. I stopped buying magazines long ago, they tend to repeat themselves, and I can get so much more from the internet. Some payment would be nice, my spending habits can be high!

Magnolias, yes I have wanted practically every one I have seen, but again have to stop some where, they can get big. There was a soulangeana here when we bought, but it had stopped growing, was stunted and poor. I dug it up and move it, still no good, so put it in a large pot in good composty stuff, left in a shady spot, pruned where I could which was difficult because you cant really prune into old wood. It started to grow nicely, and I put it in the same bed with Just Joey, 2002 it had 32 flowers, which late frosts damaged, a year off then last year it had quite a few on. I also bought Susan as a plug plant in spring 1999, it grew quickly and went in the previous bed I did in 2001, the one with the Crazy For You, it has grown really well, has lovely large dk green wavy leaves, and has lots of flowers. I also bought Betty, which has an AGM, as a plug a year later, it is a bit slower, buried in a pot along my 'above ground border' somewhere! It is a cross between soulangeana and stellata if my memory serves me right. Also bought Elizabeth from the same people, it is getting quite big and I have it in a large pot, it needs to go in the ground that should have been prepared last year! It had 2 flowers on in 2003, none last year it needed a repot, did that and it looks to have several flower buds on now. It is a very pale yellow, almost cream, with a lovely scent and a red centre. I have tried growing Charles Raffil, a campbellii selection, from seed, it is still good after I think 4 years but no germination yet, they can take a long time BUT!!!! I wish I had bought the young plant now, they can take 15 years to flower, Oh well... I also bought a m. sieboldii from Bodnant Gardens here a few years back, it struggled and died after 3/4 years, I think it was the peat they grew it in, the roots don't make properly and give up. i put in some m. sieboldii seed last year, here's hoping!!!!

A pic of m. Susan last year, it has put on a lot of growth since and 'filled' the spot, a really robust plant

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh what beautiful flowers, sure makes me ready for spring.

I love all of the Jasmines. I have the Lakeview which is wonderfully fragrant, the Night Blooming Jasmine which fills the night air with wonderful fragrance. My all time favorite is the Chilean Jasmine. I had one for almost twenty years and lost it a few years ago. I have started some seeds and hope that it will be blooming this summer.

This is my Lakeview on the deck.

Edited to add Botanical names

Lakeview Jasmine --- Murraya panicuulata 'Lakeview'
Chilean Jasmine --- Mandevilla laxa
Night Bloming Jasmine --- Cestrum nocturnum

Betty

This message was edited Jan 12, 2006 5:07 PM

Thumbnail by picabo

I love jasmines! Not easy though, what is the Lakeside species name? it is very healthy, and I bet those flowers are gorgeously fragrant.
I have a Trachelospermum jasminoides which was growing by a south wall, evergreen and doing OK but slow, and I DID have some flowers. I bought it as a plug plant with the others, but had a phygelius aequalis Yellow Trumpet in front of it, and it has got huge, sends out underground runners, also evergreen, they both have been through prolonged frost to -9C at least. I decided to move the trahelospermum as it was smothered, it had only small roots so was surprised it did OK, and it's been in a pot now for nearly a year, looking alive but the leaves are a bit dry so hoping!
Also tried a j. Mesnyi, yellow flowers, it died after that cold winter. I have possible jasminum polyanthum bought from a supermarket, it keeps going in a cold greenhouse, and has reflowered once but needs a warm spring, the fragrance is intoxicating! Maybe I need to give it a place in the house, not much room though. Also have a j. x stephanense which lives OK in the greenhouse but is still smallish and hasn't flowered. Maybe I'm not giving them the warmth they need, but space is at a premium!

Betty the leaves on yours are very large for a jasmine, I'd love to know what it's other name is. Could this be the one I am looking for?

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Wallaby - your Susan Magnolia looks a lot like my Ricki, but darker color. I've had my eye on Jon Jon too, but really can't put another tree in. Am I understanding correctly, that you grow some in containers?

Picabo - your Jasmine is sooo beautiful. I love the dark foliage, and pristine white flowers. Just gorgeous!

Ivy1, I have grown them in containers from very small plug plants, and one I have revived in a large container, but they need to go into the ground eventually. Smaller types can be grown successfully for some time, stellata is quite slow and could live well for some time in a large container. Check out the growth rate and eventual sizes and you should come across some, I do know 'Betty' is quite slow.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Wallaby!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Wallaby I went back to my original post and corrected the name and added the botanical name to all three. I was told when I bought it that plant that it was "Lakeside" The name has always stuck in my head. I think the true name is Jasmine Lakeview ... Murraya paniculata.

The bush in the picture gets about 5 foot tall and I have to trim it back. It is pot grown in a 5 gal pot. Loves water, I have even let it sit in the edge of my fish pond over summer. Grows well in total shade or filtered sun. It blooms year round, outside and in the greenhouse over winter. I have one that is in tree form including the pot it is 8 foot tall (also a 5 gal pot). I also have another with similar blooms that is a vine I grow on a trellis. The trellis is about 6 foot tall the woody vines twine up and down. It was in bloom in the Greenhouse in the Fall. It blooms about once a month all summer not as often in the winter. I have never know the name of that one.

Ivy1....Thanks... It smells as good as it looks.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have Murraya paniculata in the tree form, heading up as we speak - can't wait for it to bloom!

(Zone 7a)

Waaaaay back toward the beginning of this thread, somebody mentioned fragrant petunias - the cultivar 'Dreams Midnight' - and I shall certainly be on the lookout for it this spring.

Does anyone know which petunias are exceptionally fragrant from seed - narrowing it down from old cultivars?

Just found a petunia cultivar named 'Fragrant Cloud' (same name applies to a rose and a nicotania). Here's a link that mentions it - it's across the pond - scroll way down on right and click on image - http://www.cookham.com/cookhamnow/clubssocieties/hortic/newsletter.htm
Would it be available in the states under different name? seed?

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

If I'm not mistaken, Glen had a few fragrant double petunias last year at FlowerScent, wish he'd get his site up!

(Zone 7a)

Am poised to pounce. Hope all goes well with the medical issues in his family.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

blue,
I grow a few heirloom petunias that are fragrant:
Old-Fashioned Vining/Climbing
Kentucky Old-Fashioned
Fire Chief
Rainmaster
Balcony

I am going to try 2 new ones this year:
Giants of California
Alderman

You can get all of these as Select seeds except Kentucky. JL Hudson has that one.

I'm waiting on Glen's site too! I grew his Surfinia Blue-vein last year. The fragrance was wonderful but the plant was never very healthy and died on me early. He's giving me a replacement this year.

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, BG. I'll look into those.

I wonder what 'tunies The Fragrant Path might have? I corresponded with Mr. Rassmussen many years ago before things got too busy, and remember him as someone who knew and loved fragrant flowers. His seed, for me, was excellent and well priced and still seems to be so today. One thing I look for in a seed/plant catalog is the personality of the owner shining through - and this one is loaded with character.

His business has no phone nor website - and I must say, having only had access to internet in last couple of years, that I think it's the internet that's not normal! LOL - as opposed to Mr. Rassmussen losing himself amongst his fragrant bowers without a honk or a beep from electronics to distract him.

Soooo, I'm going to send $2 for his paper catalog at:

The Fragrant Path
P.O. Box 328
Ft. Calhoun, NE 68023

He's critiqued at: http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/141/

Warren, NJ(Zone 6a)

Oh please stop! All the plants I now want that I didn't know I wanted before!!!
Ivy,
Who could resist that Albertine honeysuckle combination?! I also love all the lavenders now that I've figured out how to make them survive our winter. Rosemary I love but lose every year (to frost outside and bugs inside)and catmint too though I don't find the scent particularly strong in mine (I think it's Blue Wonder).

Wallaby,
I do like red roses and that Crazy for You looks right up my street. I have a place by the David phloxes...maybe it would fit.

By the way, both of you have lovely pics.

bluespiral,
I've had a lot of sucess with Select Seeds but another catalog couldn't hurt and well, it's only two dollars?!

(Zone 7a)

I've had good luck with Select Seeds, too, but I like Mr. Rassmussen's style and dedication - literally - to The Fragrant Path and my funds are limited, so will adapt my wishes to whatever he's selling. That is not a logical statement, but a great thing about gardening is its roominess for scentiment as well as for logic.

Around late May into early June is a good time here to take cuttings to share. Perhaps around that time we could swap cuttings?

My lilac (bought as Syringa meyeri 'Paladin' but Hortus III makes a distinction between the two species S. meyeri and S. Palibiniana which it says is a synonym for S. patula) will need cutting back then. I hear lilacs, as a rule, don't root as easily as other plants, but the smell of this one is so heavenly and the will to bloom so much stronger than other lilacs under partial shade and it's so much easier to keep this one to a small size, that it might be worth a try for someone else who's not had much luck with lilacs.

Also later in June, might have cuttings to share of an unnamed jasmine that looks and smells like it might be Jasminum officinale grandiflorum. It's wintered over a few years here outdoors (wouldn't have thought that possible, but perhaps the shelter from the yew hedge where it grows up over a gate/arbor is why), and if it makes it through this winter, y'all oughta stampede over here for cuttings. The temps just dropped over a period of 24 hours from 60*F to 27*F with winds snorting up to 47 mph.

I might need to be begging a few cuttings from you folks after last night's tantrum by Mother Nature. Tonight, she will treat us to that bane of Mediterranean-type herbs: ice! I wouldn't even expect to see the smiling face of Rosemary 'ARP' this spring after what's predicted for tonight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.