Fragrant wish list

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

What are some plants you would really love to grow that you don't yet have?
Are there plants that you just absolutely pine away for but can't grow them in your zone?

l'll mention just a couple of wants from what I call my 'lust list': crinums and gingers. Leave it to me to pick something that has rhizomes/tubers that can weigh 10 plus lbs and cost tons of $$$. I have wanted milk and wine lilies for years and have recently fell in love with gingers.

I would love to be able to grow [outside] absolutely every fragrant 'tropical' plant in the known world- some list huh? I'll post later specific ones as there are so many and I am having a brain spasm.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

I would love to be in the zone to grow this http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/21470/

The bloom almost makes me want to put my nose up to the screen and take a big whiff!!

This message was edited Jan 3, 2006 5:02 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

How about this beauty that is out of my reach: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/84289/
I have tried growing gardenia before and they die - just too cold. My zone is a bit weird- not cold as the Mtn areas but not warm as Athens or Augusta. I'm kinda in between.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2006 5:10 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh yeah....I'm with ya!

I wonder if when we get some good lists going, if perhaps we should have a couple 'stickies' listing plants for warm and cold regions. Sure, I'd love to have jasmine and gardenias, but I'm not fond of over-wintering plants.

Here's a start ~

Annuals: Petunia 'Dreams Midnight' mmm.....

Thumbnail by Moby
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

That's me too, Moby. I don't 'do' over-wintering as I have no room in my small house and also it's dark due to not having enough windows[thanks DH!!]. Oh, I have tried it, but it but nothing grew! My philosophy is if it can't stay in my garden/yard year round then I don't want it- LOL!

Oh Moby you've gone and done it!! Fragrant petunias are my obsession! I am trying to find and grow as many pets as I can. I am into the older varieties as a lot of the newer ones just don't have much fragrance.

So this purple beauty is also fragrant? COOL! I'll have to try this one.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Oh, honey...it is HEAVEN in the evening. Spicy sweet. Only one bad thing about it ~ no seeds. But I put in a least a dozen plants every year, even if I have to ask the local nursery to order it. LOL That and 'Dark Opal' basil.

If you don't find it this summer, let me know. Maybe I could ship some to you.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Moby,
I went to PF and it is listed but no info or pics. Maybe you could go there and fill it in since you have grown it. I am going to be on the look-out for it in the catalogs and my local stores. Maybe flowerscentgardens will have it- or can get it.
Thanks for giving me another one to try!

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/99728/index.html Here's the link to it.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2006 6:07 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Moby,
Is this your petunia? http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/3237/1

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yep, that's it! I've grown these for several years and have never once seen a seed pod on it, I assumed they were sterile.

My camara doesn't do a very good job on purple so I hadn't thought of adding it to the PF. Guess I could ~

Edited to add: I just noticed that theirs is 15" tall. I think mine are 8 - 10" at the most. Wonder if it really is the same since they obviously have seed and mine have never produced? Certainly not a matter of not being pollinated ~ the Hawk Moths love them.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2006 6:54 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Moby,
I thought your pic of them was beautiful. If its not PF material then they won't post it. But I don't see them rejecting it though! You could fill in the info w/o posting the pic. I have done that.

How many pets can there be with that name? It looks the same to me according to the pics I've seen. As you know growing conditions can affect how big a plant gets- and sometimes the seed co's fudge a bit too.
But then again as you say they might not be the same petunia.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Berrygirl, you're in luck! I happen to have extra wine crinums and white gingers that need a good home. Are you coming to the GARU this spring? I can bring them then, or next time you're in Atlanta, drop by and pick them up.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Moby's picture above would be fine, assuming the ID is firm. (Height differences between catalog descriptions and real-life experiences are fairly common - it all depends on the soil, water, fertilizer, temperatures, etc.)

Remember, you can buy seeds for F1 hybrids, but in most cases, your plants won't produce viable seeds (if they produce any seeds at all.)

One of my favorite scented plants is Daphne. I had two Daphne 'Carol Mackie' plants that did well for a couple years, then suddenly turned crispy brown and died within a few months of each other. Their scent carries a long ways, and it was a delight to work nearby when they were in bloom.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I have this one Smells like cotton candy yummy!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7719117694&category=43549
At the nusery it was called Pandora vine. Sorry BG only hardy to z8 Ill keep my eyes opend for you.

Warren, NJ(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone! Any Jersey girls here? I want that gorgeous purple petunia! And that beautiful photo, Moby! I was so happy to see this forum. Have any of you tried my favorites: Gertrude Jekyll rose; heliotrope (smells like cream soda to me!), old fashioned nicotiana, sweet peas (Cupani's Original!)... I'll stop. I realize I'm gushing.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Im with you on the heliotrope and nicotiana, Sweet peas are great too but tend to fizzle out too soon because of the heat, but definatly worth the work to plant them!

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Im adding these ones to my Wish List
http://www.hort.net/profile/ros/rosru/ (Rosa rugosa)

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/0/aa7c18a1492f28668825684d00723ccc?OpenDocument (Sweet Box)
sweet almond shrub
Tabernaemontana holstii (If I can ever find it for sale!)
Edgeworhia chrysantha
I have to go thru some of my old lists Ill come up with more!

This message was edited Jan 4, 2006 9:40 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

pins,
What a very generous kind gesture! I might just take you up on that the next time I'm near you!

Heavin,
Glad to see you finally made it. We were about to send out a search party-LOL! Now did you really have to go and tell me about a plant that I CAN'T grow that smells like cotton candy- which just happens to be my favorite childhood candy? ROFLMBBO!! It is beautiful and I imagine you drool when sniffing it- know I would!

np,
heliotrope.... hmmmm. Thanks for mentioning that one. I'll add that one to my list as I don't think I have ever smelled it. Cream soda, huh? What is with these plants that smell like fattening foods? And here I am on a diet- LOL!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

This message was edited Jan 4, 2006 3:15 PM

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

OK then, I'll post my pic to the PF since it has found favorable reviews. Thanks for the encouragement.

NP, go ahead and gush ~ it's hard not to when discussing heady scents. I won't get started here about Oriental lilies, makes me swoon. Here's a frustrating one ~ had just 2 stems of a particular O. lily this last year that really did waft around 2 sides of the house. What was it? Don't know, it was mismarked. Ack!

How about an Iris that smell like an Orange Creamsicle?

Thumbnail by Moby
South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Moby, Was the lilly white? I do love lillys please describe the flower.

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

here is the list as request by berrygirl

http://www.icangarden.com/classified.cfm?task=viewdetail&itemid=86

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

My thats quite a list! Wallaby, is this your wanted or have list?

I have Tallow tree and Fragrant Cloud seed

This message was edited Jan 4, 2006 3:18 PM

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi heavinscent, I found it by searching for another thread, and berrygirl couldn't get it to link, so I did the honours.

it certainly looks like a lengthy list, 400 in fact! Could be useful..

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you so very much Wallaby!!! PLEASE come here as much as you'd like as we'd love to have your input! No one does gardens like our friends across the pond.

I had tried about a dozen times to copy the link and post it in my last thread- hence the edit and blank space-LOL!! She had provided this link in a thread I started in the daylily forum and I knew it would be an invaluable tool.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Heavin ~ what is it about white fowers? You can have a whole palette of colors but the white ones are usually the best. It's a sweet / spicy scent like Stargazer or Casablanca but this one really wafts. I actually had a couple people looking around to see what was blooming and that was from 15 ft. away.

This is my unknown ~ it's been suggested by my lily society that it may be Lavender Ladies.

Thumbnail by Moby
Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Speaking of heliotrope, its currently our fun random image!! It looks fabulous.

This message was edited Jan 4, 2006 5:07 PM

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

For the last 2 evenings I have went thru my entire 'Southern Living Garden Book' and briefly scanned ALL the plant entries for the mention of fragrance. I then notated in pencil beside each plant the word "fragrant". I wish SL had that feature anyway, but now my book does- LOL!! They ought to hire me to redo their book!

I was surprised at the plants that I had over-looked thinking they had no smell but that they were actually fragrant. I found a ton of trees that I had no idea smelled good.

I am going to start a new thread asking for your favorite books- or books you know of- about fragrant plants/gardening.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I was thinking maybe Madonna Lily But I cant tell by the photo. I know they have wonderful scent!
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1024/

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yes, L. longiflorum / Madonna / Easter lilies do have a wonderful scent, though it may be a bit cloying for some. I'd describe it's scent as more syrupy-sweet than spicy.

The lily pictured above is an Oriental, for certain. Guess I'll have to go plant a few more varieties for comparison. ;)

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

BG, I noticed back up the thread that you said you had problems growing gardenia. I live in 7b also I have one doing very well. When I moved out here, someone told me how to handle these plants and it was this: to plant it next to a south facing wall (rock or cement block is best because it retains heat.) Make sure that the soil has good drainage and water during dry spells. This is what I have done and my bush has grown 3 feet in 2 years (I also added balanced fertilizer- 888 I think). We have had some really cold nights already this season and my bush looks very green and lush. If you want, I'll be glad to root you a cutting, just let me know.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Anson,
Thank you very much for the very kind offer- I accept! I hope though that you wouldn't be wasting your time and a perfectly good cutting on me- LOL!!

I tried growing my gardenias in the same bed with my azaleas b/c I thought they liked similar conditions. They were in a sheltered spot at my front porch away from cold winds, etc... I even bought a variety that was supposed to be more cold hardy but it died, too. After failures with this beautiful plant, I haven't tried to grow one in about four years now. I have been tempted to just grow one in a pot. I just so love the fragrance. I will do as you suggested- and I thank you again for the very kind offer.

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

I'll get some in the water tonight BG

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Oh take your time, I'm in no hurry.
Thanks again- and you know, you are a great gardening buddy!

Polkton, NC(Zone 7b)

aaawwwh shucks (lookin bashful, hands in pocket, kicking up garden dust) lol. You are most welcom and thanks to.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Ok its getting sticky in here!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Okay now heavinscent: you aint so bad yourself!! ((((((hugs hugs))))))
What is it about good- smellin' flowers that makes one all warm and fuzzy? In GA, we rural [read that farm or country] natives pronounce 'flowers' like this: 'flars'. I can just hear my dear ole Granny telling me to go water her 'flars'.

Are any of y'all as tickled as I am that on our first official day we have had so many posts and threads here! I would have posted much more but it was BEAUTIFUL outside today- about 65 degrees- plus had church tonight.

And.... I am determined to go thru that monster of a list on the link that Wallaby posted for us.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

That was quite a list but not all of those plants are fragrant or were they ment to be? I was abscent a few days what did I miss?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Moby,
What is the name of the iris that smells like orange creamsicle? I would love to have that one.
It seems like most of you guys are from the south who have all the fragrant plants.
Is this true?
I love and have he honeysuckles, jasmines, some irises, dianthus, carnations, and lilacs here in Oregon.
I would love to have a gardenia. My neighbor bought a hardy one so shall see if it survives the winters here.
Carol

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi Carol,
Glad to see you here! before we got the forum we were all wondering the same thing. Most of the requests were from south easterners. What is Albany near? I have a grandmother in Florance. Close?
How is the Alstroemeria doing? Good I hope!

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hi Caren,
My Alstroemias are doing great. They are really putting up some green shoots now. Thanks again.
Florence is on the coast and is about 1 1/2 hrs away. Is beautiful down where she lives. Do you ever come up to see her? If so, let me know if you are in town.
I guess the south grows a lot of good things too. Maybe it is too wet for the fragrant things at times?
Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.