My garden's a tight space...

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I am new here - not on DG but new on this forum. I've been ill for many years now but finally feel well enough to get out into the garden. My biggest problem is that my garden is very packed with plants. I can get down, but I can't get up very well and I don't have room for anything wide to help me up. I'm plenty strong (thank you PIlates) but not well balanced.

I've looked around and haven't found a thread on this. Perhaps there's an old one - if not or even if so, does anyone have some ideas on something light that I could use to give me a little help?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Could you use something like a kneeling bench? The pad cushions the knees and the side supports are used to help push oneself back to an erect position. Here's a example of one: http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=16212&DeptPGID=20653&lstCategory=20705&RecGroupNum=1

This message was edited Dec 17, 2005 2:10 PM

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks so much Yuska, My biggest problem is very tight deep beds. I should have mentioned that. A kneeler might work if I could put the legs on either side of the plantings. I checked and it's only 8 pounds but it looks kind of bulky. I was hoping for something smaller since my balance isn't very good and it's hard enough trying to walk in these tight beds as it is. It might be the thing though since once I put it down I don't have to think about it.

Can you tell I'm confused?

It might just be the thing though if something smaller isn't available. I thought about a walking stick but that would sink into the earth and maybe a tool handle like an ax handle would work?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by doss
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Doss,

Your garden is so beautifully orderly! Will you come come organize my house? I take it you mean when everything's growing, there's not space for you...

xxxx, Carrie

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

How tidy and well-organized you are! I do see now that you need something to straddle the plants. I have seen a modified cane that has a small fold-down seat and the base opens out as a tripod. Dr. Leonard's was one source but I didn't see a listing for it there when I checked just now. There are also canes with four feet at the base which would distribute the pressure a bit and be less likely to sink in. I have problems with balance too but I can work from my swivel tractor seat around the perimeter of the beds. Do you have a store in your area that carries hospital supplies and mobility equipment? A light-weight walker with large wheels could straddle the plants, possibly.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Carrie - I can organize - I'd love to come organize your garden. :-)

I do have help - it doesn't really look so organized when it's going full tilt. But I love 'messy' gardens. It does take some organizing to get them right though.

And yes, you're right. When everything's growing everything is hard to get to. I've got tiered gardens in the back and a lot of the growing spaces are more than 8 feet deep and they are stocked. I am going to buy a pair of ratchet pruners and loppers because my hands aren't strong so I'm getting that under control. There are some Japanese Maples that I've been wanting to prune and I want to do it myself! There is a lot to figure out but I'm excited to be back in the garden.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Yuska - I think that you're right. I've seen those canes with four feet. And I think that they might very well work. I just really need a little oomph to help me get up and something to steady me. I'll go look - I do have a store like that about 7 minutes away. But what do you think of this one?

http://www.walkingcanedepot.com/tripod_cane/tripod_cane.asp

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

doss, I use two different kneelers, since I had both hip joints replaced twice., I can get down but quite difficult for me to get up. The kneeler I use most , well actually neither of them colapse. The one I use most can be used for a seat or as a kneeler, which has curved metal ends so doesn't go down into the soil,. The problem is I have had it so long I cannot remember where I got it. I know it was a catalog, but can't remember which company. Sorry that I'm not much help. Glad you are able to go out into your lovely garden.

DonnaS

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

You are a great help Donna - and I haven't been traveling in the same places you have. It's nice to hear from you.

I know where to get the kneelers. I just thought that they might be cumbersome - Since I'm unstable carrying anything over uneven ground, it might be a problem for me trying to wrestle with it over the plants.

You haven't found this to be a problem?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

The canes you folks are talking about are called "quad canes" and if you get a referral to a physical or occupational therapist, s/he could get you one probably for free through your insurance. The one from your link is interesting, especially because I bet you're thinking it won't sink as much. My only reservation is there's a reason quad canes are so widely used - they do the job.
I like Yuska's walker idea, and you can get a basket on the front to hold loppers, seeds, a water bottle, whatever. I still vote for an OT who should know about all the products available.

xxxx, Carrie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Carrie,

I have a friend who is going to ask her PT - and then I may go ask one. But once I pay the MD and the PT I've spent way more than the silly cane. I could buy 3 for what I'd paid. I have a proprioceptor therapist which is what I really need but she doesn't do the product thing. I have another friend that I'll ask too. Maybe I can network my way around actually going to the PT. I'll take your advice though and do some asking around.

Doss

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

And another advantage to going to a store that features such equipment, you can try out the various items for fit and comfort. I use just a regular cane for errands such as grocery shopping. I tried out several just walking arund the store until I found one that was a good length and a comfortable grip. Yuska

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

That's a good idea Yuska. The triangular end actually can be installed on any cane. I will go to the store soon and see what I think. What kind of a handle do you have on yours?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I chose a standard curved handle, mainly because it hooks easily on the edge of a shopping cart! Some of the flat handles might be more useful for pressing against when getting up from a stooped position. Yuska

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks Yuska - that always helps. Makes sense. Hopefully I won't need mine for shopping - at least for awhile. My balance is much better although I do have to watch it on even ground and I get vertigo so getting up and down is hard. My husband has a walking stick and I think that I'll try that and see what it does before I go any further. I have a friend who said that the bench was too cumbersome for tight spaces. The options are narrowing.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Doss,

Had to ask, what's a proprioceptor therapist? I know exactly what proprioception is because that's most of what I'm missing, well, that and energy and freedom from pain. But I could put up with those two in exchange for some proprioception.

xxx, Carrie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My proprioception therapist helps me with ways to deal with my lack of it. And I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble with it - not many people understand.

She analyzes what I'm doing that causes me trouble and then helps me find other ways to respond to the environment. For instance, when I use my eyes to take in the world, it swims and I lose my balance. But if I use my feet then I don't have so much trouble. She gives me balance exercises so that the muscles that I need to balance myself become stronger. One of the things I have that help me is a weight jacket. It does keep the world from swimming - especially in the car. Another is a weight blanket that helps me sleep.

She only comes to town once in awhile but I'll ask her how to find someone who does it in your area if you're really interested. She may just be a very rare bird.

I really got more balance back when I went off one of my meds though. I agree with you that lack of energy and freedom from pain are horrible but lack of proprioception hobbles a person more.

No one should be left with that. Of course, lack of energy and pain are no picnic either.

Doss

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Doss,

I have MS, so that's where my proprioception went. And it's when I close my eyes that I fall over! God save my eyes...and people can go blind from MS, so that would be really bad. I'm not sure your Pr.T. would do me much good.

xxx, Carrie

Carrie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Carrie,
I agree, I can't close my eyes either or I feel like I'm falling. It's more a matter or organizing yourself in space with your feet - but with MS, I'm not sure that it's possible. And that would be awful to go blind. I know that she works with people with MS but I'm not sure how.

I'm so sorry that you have this to deal with. Long-term disabilities just aren't journeys we'd pick are they? I've stuggled with mine for a very long time - and it doesn't even have a name. It's a combination of symptoms that apparently don't show up together often enough to warrant one. So I don't know where it's going. But right now I'm grateful to be off the meds that were making me so unbalanced. Whew. I have great empathy.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

True, doss, there isn't much to be done with MS. I appreciate your empathy and I send mine in return.

xxxx, Carrie

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, carrie. I appreciate it.

My friend's PT said that he recommended one with a wide base, not the one with four feet - so I've ordered one that's adjustable so I can play with the height. I ordered the ratchet pruner and lopper and an apron that I found on-line from a thread here at DG that will let me carry all of my stuff without hands. A new strap on my camera and I should be ready to face the wilds of the backyard without my husband worrying that I'm going to fall on my face. I realize that I'm going to be happy having a cane for stability. I always worry about falling and stepping into my precious plants!

Doss.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Doss - flat base, not necessarily wide, per the PT. Just wanted to clear it up before you have a mishap!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Pirl, you're always after my best interests. Thanks!
Doss

And why not? You're the gem, not I.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

:-) How about we're a pair!

OK. Glad to hear about your gardening apron. May we have a photo of it?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Here's the link
http://www.handhelpers.com/products/sackadaweeda.htm
It's got sort of a hokey name but it looked worthwhile. I'll try and let you know how it goes. The lopper of course is going to be a little generous for the pockets but I'm not allowed on ladders. LOL

It looks perfect for you. Enjoy!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I'll hope that it won't spill out everything on the ground. I can't really bend over anyway and have to kneel so it shouldn't be too much of a problem. But if stuff falls out - I'll just have to bow to your wisdom once again. ;-)

I gave Mrs. Loeffler a piece of carpeting to kneel on and sometimes she'd sit on it. She only had trouble, with arthritis, at 88 and then couldn't get up again. They sell pieces of carpet, all bound, for $1.00 each out here. I think I'll get a few for us to use.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lovely, You should enjoy them. Now to get that arm working soundly again before the ground unfreezes and your back in the garden.

After 90 afternoon naps it will be spring and I just might be out there if it's not too cold and nasty.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Are you counting naps now? lol

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Wanted to thank you all. I received the apron and the cane and boy are things different in the garden. I also put a strap on my camera so I don't have to hold it in my hand. The can makes much more of a difference than I every thought it would. The triangle base works well even on smooth flat surfaces. But for the garden it's magic. I feel so much more secure and it's so much more fun to be outside.

I appreciate the time you all spent brainstorming with me.

I think I can speak for all by saying we're happy to have you back in the garden and feeling so good about it. Hurray for Doss!

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks! :-)

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I have a four pronged cane that I inherited from my mother last year. I was going to give it away to a nursing home but after reading this I will keep it for my gardening cane. It will be great to have that to help me get up. It has a platform that the legs come out of that will stabilize it even in the softest of soils. Thanks for asking these questions. I too love a full and almost wild garden so am dealing with similar issues on getting up.

Thanks all,
Lani

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Neither one of us will be toppling onto our plants! Hurray!

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

I don't usually topple I just can't get up when I get down.

Have had a double knee replacement in Jan. 2002, 2 wrist repairs to the same wrist in 2004 and a hip replacement in 2005. Sometimes when I get down I feel like a turtle stuck on its back and unable to do anything about it. lol I think climbing Mom's cane will be much easier on me than other ideas we have come up with. I have dragged plastic chairs into the garden with me to get up onto but they sink too much in the soft soil. When you have sandy loam there are no firm surfaces to keep that chair from sinking.

I made myself an apron that holds most of my tools and my son got me a bucket liner that holds most of the rest that I need AND holds the weeds I pull. Guess I am set for spring.

Now all I dream of is a weedless garden.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Sounds as if you will have a weedless garden now with your Mom's cane. If the four prong cane doesn't work they sell the triangle ends for any regular cane separately and it definitely doesn't sink into anything. Not even a dent.

I have a bucket with pockets too and I love it. Now if I can just keep my camera from bouncing around it will be great. Always just one more thing. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.