White spots on Giant White BOP

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Perhaps it's just my plant paranoia during the winter switching on, but I thought I'd check with some of you on this problem rather than ignore it. I've read the Giant White BOP's aren't prone to any kind of bug problems or diseases. Still, I have these white spots that keep randomly appearing on the plant and I'm curious as to what they are and how to get rid of them.

They aren't in the leaves, they are like a very small mold growing on them. I seem to have noticed them back near the start of the fall when the sunlight stopped shinning directly into my living room (it's a big west window and it looses light in the winter). This is my first year in my new apartment so I didn't realize it'd loose it's light source in winter until just a few weeks ago. Today I moved the plant into my office where it'll get morning and almost all the afternoon sun. Whether that'll solve this white spot problem or not, who knows.

Below are some pictures... maybe some of you can help me figure out exactly what these spots are and how to get rid of them (if I even need to). I've tried gentle soap and water and just water and that gets rid of them for a week or so, but then they return slowly but surely back on the plant.

Thanks for any help.

John

Thumbnail by keonikale
Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh! Very curious about this, too! I got this on my mother-in-law's tongue over a year ago. I tried separating it so it wouldn't affect the entire plant, but I was too late. On the original infected part, I wanted to see what would happen if I just stopped cleaning them off...it died, but it took it's time. So now that it's on the part that I've separated, I just don't know what to do! I tried rubbing alcohol, even bleach! It just keeps coming back! I don't have time to focus to much attention to this one plant...I keep it away from the others so it doesn't spread, and so far it hasn't. I tried looking it up in books, but couldn't find it...unless it's some kind of scale??

If I can't find a solution, I'm going to put this whole pot in the trash!

What is a BOP bytheway?? hahaha

Cheryl

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Do you think you'd get better replies if this were posted in the Garden Foes forum??

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

We cleaned it off tonight again with a anti-fungal solution, but I'm not sure how well that'll work. The plant is so large (it's as tall as I am, almost 6') so it's hard to clean.

Sorry, I am so used to calling it a Giant BOP... Giant Bird of Paradise.

Hopefully we can get rid of this though, the plant was rather pricey... so I'm hoping we can kill off this stuff.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

We're pretty sure now the white one's are dead scales and the light brown one's are live scales. We're going to try an anti-fungal spray if they flare back up, but I think we cleaned the plant up pretty well the other night.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Hmm...I don't have any brown scales that I've seen...

Still, tell me if it works!
Cj

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

A girl in the epi forum was having the same problem...maybe this will help.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/562499/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.