My 30-year-old philodendron

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

My DH and I got a philodendron as a gift from our florist when we got married 30 years ago. It has survived us all these years...LOL...and in another thread someone suggested that I take cuttings and start some plants for our two daughters. It has recently perked up, but still not as healthy as it could be. One vine was very long (4 feet) and the other maybe 2½ feet. I took a total of six cuttings and used rooting powder and planted them two to a plastic glass in about 4 inches of Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil. I watered them (along the side so that the powder wouldn't rinse off) until I saw the wetness reach the bottom. They are now sitting close to a south window. Our oldest daughter is getting married in August 2006 and I would love to present her and her new husband with a nice healthy pot that was part of her parents' wedding gift. What else can I do to help these root and flourish?

I imagine cutting this off the main plant will be good for it.

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I think that is a wonderful idea. Philodendrons are incredibly healthy and root easily. The cuttings will probably do just fine without too much effort.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I should have known that. For any plant to survive for 30 years in MY house is nothing short of miraculous. LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

That's great. I have one that I've had for 19 years. It was a plant from my brother's funeral when I was a kid. My mom killed the original plant, but I had taken cuttings (was a plant freak even back then). I've since passed cuttings on to other family, including my aunt when one of my cousins dies a few years ago. It's nice to have a plant like this around.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.