December weather, God bless you with Merry Gentlewinds.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I don't want to hog this thread, but... Central MA and southern NH got 12 - 18 inches of snow today.
When I wrote about lightning and thunder with high winds and white out conditions, I could have just used one word "BOMBOGENSIS". There is actually a word for that, who knew?
Kelli, I think I prefer snow to sand storms.
Andy P

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

"BOMBOGENSIS". There is actually a word for that,

How funny!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Andy - looks like you got more than the 7 inches we got. But those 45 mph winds did a job on us. I was out with the snowblower but the wind blew it in faster than the snowblower blew it out. Hey we don't have to go anywhere - will go out again tomorrow. Supposed to be 17° tonight.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

A white out, that's what I was thinking on our trip South, senior moment, lol.
Thanks for the info Kelli!
Right now 57F, tonight expecting 44F, I think I'd be in bed under many covers, would not come out in the bad storms some of you are having, oh, and in front of the fireplace, lol,
Annie

Annie, if you want to keep up on it, go to your favorite weather web site and put in Frazier Park as the town.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

8½ inches of snow last night! And the wind gave us some spectacular snow drifts. We have a 4-foot drift in front of the house. 16° at the moment. This is the kind of snow I remember having as a kid in the '60s, when we'd dig tunnels through the snow drifts. Rarely did our kids have drifts large enough to do that.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

YIPEEEEEEEEEE the sun is shining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The weather forecast said cloudy and snow or rain the entire weekend but they where wrong.
Can you imagine how it feels to see the sun since we only have had 4 days of sun for the last 5 weeks..
Doing the happy dance...........IN THE SUN.
Janett

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Celebrate the sunshine!!.

It was 17° this early AM so I wentout,started the snowblower and cleared the 2-1/2 ft drifts off the driveway. Yes, we got 7 inches of snow but those high winds piled it up. It was absolutely gorgeous this AM. Quiet, windstill sunny.
Felt like a kid again LOL

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Janet, here in the desert country of Utah, the sun is shining too. I am spoiled, if we have more than 3 days of clouds - the whole town gets depressed. LOL

Low this morning - 18*
it's up to 29* already
Hum 41%
DP

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Seeds, officially we got 10 inches. That included the initial 4" before the rain melted most away, then we got the pastie stuff. No drifts here.
Another strange thing happened during this storm. Onset, a small coastal town on Buzzards Bay (just west of Cape Cod) had a freak Tidal Surge come up and over a small peninsula and flooded out many homes, for 10 minutes. One giant wave came and went, just as the wind shifted. Weird.
I posted a short series of pics in the Photo forum if that interests anyone. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/562037/
Andy P

Edited to include the link

This message was edited Dec 10, 2005 2:49 PM

Yes We are spoiled, went out and weeded, trimmed, etc, had to come in, I was sweating too much, lol!!!! Removed my dreaded Wild Strawberries from a flowerbed, it is a nuisance weed to me, grown into my Rose Bed, etc etc!!!
Right Now for
Castro Valley, CA (94546)
Sunny 61°F
Feels Like 61°F
Updated Dec 10 12:25 p.m. PT

UV Index: 2 Low
Wind: From WSW at 6 mph
Humidity: 50%
Pressure: 30.22 in.
Dew Point: 42°F
Visibility: 10.0 miles

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Right now we are having a spectacular sunset. With all the fresh snow and a vivid sunset the whole world is Salmon colored.
Andy P

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow, where's your digital?
Sidney

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Rain during the night,but when I got up this morning the sun was shining. only thin stripes of clouds remained.
Janett

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

9° this AM on the porch. Sun was out briefly but the weatherman is calling for snow showers today. All is clouded over.

Must be getting close to winter.

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

The dreaded tule fog and related auto mishaps have settled in here in the San Joaquin Valley, in between rain-makers that move through and gives us a respite. Some days worse than others. Took a ride up Hwy. 41 about 1/2 way to Yosemite yesterday and enjoyed the sunshine and beautiful scenery. Today we have a small storm system going through and a break from the fog. Janet, I know how you feel about having weeks on end w/o sunshine. Our winters here used to be much more severe and it was common to not see the sun from about November 20th pretty much until Feb. 1 or thereabouts. Winters are milder here now, and we get the sun usually once or twice a week, but only when it breaks through for an hour or two just before dark. Takes it that long to burn off the fog, most of the day, LOL. 8-) Janet

40 °F / 4 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 38 °F / 3 °C
Humidity: 93%
Dew Point: 38 °F / 3 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h from the ESE

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

It was 43° here this morning with 95% humidity when I opened the door to let the Doxies out. One short trip off the patio into the cold wet grss put a quick end to their outing! I can't believe the dirty looks I got as they raced back to their snuggle beds. LOL

Anyway.......not a cloud in the brilliant blue sky that is our winter sky here in Florida. The high today will be 61°.....What a glorius day!!!
Pati

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yeah, Yeah rub it in, Pati!

Weatherman claims it's 49F, but not, it is 46F, LOL, cold to me!
Right Now for
Castro Valley, CA (94546)
Mostly Cloudy 49°F
Feels Like 49°F
Updated Dec 12 08:25 a.m. PT

UV Index: 0 Low
Wind: CALM
Humidity: 77%
Pressure: 30.13 in.
Dew Point: 42°F
Visibility: 6.0 miles

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Another chilly morning, white all over clouds, promise of sunshine by noon.

Low 19*
DP 11*
Hum 34%
Rght now it's 26* in my yard s'posed to go to 42* [if/when the sun breaks thru]
No wind which makes it bearable out there.

Patti those poor babies better stay in Florida, we'd thing it downright warm if it were 49* in the morning. LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's very nice here. If my little bunny goes down for a nap this afternoon, I'll go out and work in the garden today.

Mostly Cloudy, 65°F (18°C)
Humidity: 28 %
Wind Speed: Vrbl 3 MPH
Barometer: 30.15" (1021.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 31°F (-1°C)

This Afternoon: Partly cloudy, with a high around 71. Calm wind.
Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

http://www1.whdh.com/news/main/local/ This is a link to 2 stories relating to Fridays storm. The first (top) is about power outages, the 2nd (4th one down) is the more interesting one about stranded Pilot wales and dolphins. Every day more info comes out about this winter storm that had hurricane force winds on Cape Cod, MA just over an hours drive from here.
Andy P

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Thanks for those links - been looking for info on my reg sources and except for the weather channel's short blip... it's as tho it never happened. And here comes another storm right atcha.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Your gentle winds have arrived here Sidney (as has the humidity again)......

Observed At: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Elevation: 1893 ft / 577 m

39 °F / 4 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 35 °F / 2 °C
Humidity: 81%

It's wonderful to see you back Pati! Ü Tell your doggies they could be here for the winter and I bet they'll quit giving you evil looks. ;)

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Blooms, a good site for weather related news anywhere in New England is
www.boston.com/news/necn/ They also have a story about the strandings.
It's the cable network news for the 6 state area.
Andy P

Interesting, but unfortunate.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

45.3°, 68%, Clear & cool.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

14ºF - clear - cold

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Andy: See if your laptop's keyboard has a function key (maybe labeled as Fn in blue type). Then, see if you notice a section of keys on the keyboard with blue numbers on them in addition to the letters and punctuation symbols.

If so, you can probably hit the Fn key to make those blue-labeled keys act as a numeric keypad. THEN the ALT+0186 should work for you. ºº

Just tap the Fn key again when you're done so you can resume typing normally. :)

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Observed At: Dubuque, Iowa
Elevation: 1076 ft / 328 m

25 °F / -4 °C
Overcast
Windchill: 16 °F / -9 °C
Humidity: 85%
Dew Point: 21 °F / -6 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h from the South
Pressure: 30.18 in / 1022 hPa
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast

It's supposed to start snowing tonight and not let up untill Friday. Right now we are in the 4-7 inch zone, but we all know how fast that can change. We will either get a trace or a foot, lol.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

32½°, 33% sunny, clear, gtg too work

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Temp 16F
Wind chill 1F
Wind NNW at 14mph, Gust to 23
Cloudy to the east, clear to the west, occasional 'Ocean effect' snow flurries. We are on the edge of these flurries, sometimes in / sometimes out. no accumulation.
Garden wife, I have the blue Fn key but no blue #s. Don't concern yourself about it, I can use the 'F'. Thanks
Andy P

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

9° on the porch this AM - sun shining brightly now. Supposed to be clear all day and get up near freezing.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well it's sunny here!

Please come to the NEW THREAD http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/562371/

Join me there this one's getting long for dial-ups.
Sidney

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.