Bariatric Proceedure

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Robin, where oh where did you find a "good stturdy shower chair with a back on it".? They all seem flimsy to me. Years ago there was a chair by Lumex(?) that was wonderful; aluminum legs that were thick and sturdy and a back that was firmly attached. Now all I can find is either ones with spindly legs which can't hold me up or molded plastic things where the back is just "snapped" in. I have fallen in this type several times when the back "snapped" back out! Now I just lean forward as much as I can, but it's not what you'd call a nice, relaxing experience.

xxxxxxxxxxx, Carrie

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

At a Catholic (run by the 'Sisters of Charity') 'Second Hand/ Nearly New' shop down town here. You can also find some at some of the Savation Army stores. Visit them and ask what days they get new items in. Now don't start collecting all sorts of stuff from there; like baskets, knick-knacks, planting pots and such... LOL.

~* Robin

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Thrift stores are great but you sure have to keep your hands in your pockets. lol

Lani

Clinton, IN(Zone 5b)

Hello, everyone. I just read thru this thread and I'm very sorry to hear of all your problems with insurance companies, but I might be able to help some. I used to work for one of the larger ones (which I will leave nameless since I really didn't like them and don't have anything nice to say, but the name was mentioned above) in the customer service department and I would be happy to try to help.
Tplant...I haven't looked at any other threads to see if you have been approved by your insurance yet, but here is what I know. This will vary depending on which insurance you have. You most definately want to make sure that your insurance has the EXACT procedure code that the surgeon will be billing before you have the surgery. Some insurances do not cover Lap band and only cover gastric bypass and sometimes the people in the office will send in info that is a little vague to try to get surgeries approved and then the bill comes and the codes don't match and the patient gets stuck with the problem, so be very very careful with that. Also, you referred to them needing documentation of 6 months of physician supervised diet attempts. This part is tricky, but you can get around it. What you want to do is talk to any medical practitioner you have seen that has discussed weight loss with you and get documentation from all of them. I don't know what kind of doctors you've seen, but for example, if you have diabetes and go to an endocrinologist every month, there's a good chance that they would have in your files mention of weight discussion. You can get around the insurance, but it takes some inside knowledge sometimes, and I can honestly say the only good part of that job was helping people get things paid for, so if you have any questions at all feel free to ask and I will help if I can.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you very much Flower. Your knowledge makes me feel much better and I will seek your advice when and you notice I say"WHEN" problems occur as I am sure with so many details someone is bound to foul up.....

Recieved a phone call today from my surgeon's assistant and have a consultation date for 02/28 at 1 PM. I attended the Nutrisional Clearence session last week and was now qualified for surgery thus the appointment date. I will be going to a pre-op session on the 16th of the month. Getting close...

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

This is such good news Tplant. Sounds like things are going according to plan!

Let us know how things progress. I don't have good advice like Flower, but I'll share my "hurricane slogan" with you.......Hang on Sloopy!
Pati

That I am Pati! That I am. My fingers are crossed and would you believe looking forward to a month and a half of liquid diet before and after surgery. I am so tired of the diet syndrome, you know the yo-yo affect? I used to be a healthy ,fit,and handsome(according to my ex-wives LOL) guy! After my heart attack, 8yrs. ago, my body just fell apart. My hair grayed in two weeks and post polio syndrome set in along with arthritis, carpul syndrome and other problems. My MD says with the loss of weight I will start to feel good again. Just to breathe after any exertion would be good enough for me...

Clinton, IN(Zone 5b)

I'm glad to hear all is going well!! Good luck and let us know as soon as you find out when surgery is scheduled so I can keep you in my thoughts that day.

Thank you and I will!

That is wonderful to hear from ya T. I will be waiting to hear how you do with this. Keep us posted.

My insurance wont' even cover lap band I found out. They will only do the gastric but only that if you are diabetic. Still seems very silly.

Lani

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I AGREE 1000%, Lani, it is totally backwards.
xxxx, Carrie

Good news! My insurance company sent a letter of approval to my surgeon! I recieved a call from my MD's office requesting me to come in today at 12:45pm if possible instead of 2/28 as was our previous appointment. I told them you bet so it is just about time for me to leave. Fill you in when I get back....

GREAT news! Will be waiting for more good news.
Pati

Was out celebrating! My surgery date is set for March 1 at Memorial Regional Hospital, Hollywood Fl. It has been a long uphill battle with an insurance company and certain doctors that didn't want to get involved but now it is over except for a meeting with the anatheseologist and a final meet with my primary for an EKG and a blood profile. I must stop taking my pain medication as it will build an immunity to the pain med I must take after surgery to make me comfortable or things will be very painful for me. No problem. I can tolerate the morning pain I now have as long as it does not get any stronger. Talk at ya later when I have more info.....
Ted

Clinton, IN(Zone 5b)

Congrats!!!! Good to hear and I hope everything goes smoothly!!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

That is great news Ted! I really like your doctor's approach in regards to getting all your clearances, nutrition, psych, cardiology etc. When are do their support groups meet? It would be nice to go before surgery and meet people.

-Kim

Next support group meeting is the 16th of this month. I'm looking forward to it as they are very informative and everyone is so "up" if you know what I mean? We have post-op and pre-op patients attending so we hear from both.

Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

Tplant.... JUST NOW learned of your anticipated surgery & want you to know I wish you the VERY BEST of success with your gastric bypass.
I have a close friend here in PA that underwent the surgery about a year ago & the results were tremendous!! Keep a positive attitude and all will go well, I'm sure!! We NEED you back here as soon as possible!!!!!!
LarryD

My weight problem started after my heart attack (Myocardial Infraction) as the stress brought on Post Polio Syndrome as I had a serious case of polio in 1947 that left my right leg paralzyed(?spelling?) and one of the two muscles destroyed so the leg was always the weakest and my left leg did all the work. As a matter of fact my entire body was paralyzed at that time and spent 9 extremely painful months in the
hospital at age seven. PPS, brought on by extreme stress of my heart attack, now affects the remaining healthy muscles that did the work of two muscles all these years and now weakens them to the extent that one may never perform again. Excercise is the worst thing we can do as it will burn up our neurons, the messengers to and from the brain that tell the muscles what to do. Once they are gone they are not replenished like they are for normal people during sleep so you can imagine our dilemma. Most of the time it is difficult for our families to accept as they think we are lazy and must excercise to strengthen the muscles? It is difficult enough to walk much less to excercise which is impossible. So by losing about 135lbs will bring me to 195lbs which should make a new me. This is a picture of me now! I will be having lap-band surgery and not gastric by-pass as I am to old for the gastric which removes a part ofthe intestine and that operation is irreversible while lap-band closes off the entrance to the stomach and does not allow more than a half cup of strained food to enter four times a day along with multiple vitamins and lots of water for the first few weeks. I'll lose about 2-3lbs per week.
P.S. About 13% of the people my age(68) that have the other surgery ,gastric by-pass) do not survive the first year so this is why I am having lap-band a far,far safer proceedure for me.

Thumbnail by Tplant
High Desert, NV(Zone 5a)

We'll all be rooting for you!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tplant~

I've never heard PPS explained that way, but then again, I'm not sure how often I've heard it explained at all. It is fairly rare, isn't it? [surviving polio was pretty rare in the bad old days, I hear] and I guess one day will be wiped out in developed countries.

My best friend has PPS and uses a wheelchair and monster legbraces. So I think I can understand the pain, fatigue and weakness from that.

My Dad had a stroke and we all know people post-heart attack who feel as if the Grim Reaper is watching their every move.

And my own Darling Husband has lost and gained the same 50 ~ 75 lbs in the 9 years I've known him.

To face all those challenges at the same time seems like so much! Ah well, sometimes Life is just Too Hard ~ then we grit our teeth or gird our loins or maybe go shopping or order seeds (?) and keep up with the good fight. Good job and good luck. Thanks for posting that 'before' picture, but you know that means you owe us an 'after' picture too!

xxx, Carrie

Tplant,
What a great positive attitude you have! This is going to be so much in your favor in your post-operative days.

Polio is no stranger to me.....I am one of the lucky ones that escaped the great North Carolina epidemic of 1944. So many cases that they had to set up a tent city in Hickory, NC, and import iron lungs from all over the world. The whole state was under quarentine. As a result I went to school with many kids that had leg braces. I know that many years later so many have had the reacurring problems.

I'm so happy for you that you will be looking at a new life after your operation!!
Pati

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Tplant, I'm glad for you that the authorization came through and the date has been set. All the anxiety and uncertainty of waiting was hard to endure, I'm sure. We are all cheering for you and a happy outcome.
Yuska

Pati -- PPS does not affect all former polio sufferers and I do hope you are one of the lucky ones. The medical profession knows very little about this illness and less than one hour is spent on this subject in Med School because we are a dying group as it only affects us at a later age. Late fifties or earlier if stress is involved. When we die so does PPS so to them it's not worth the time and money as polio is a thing of the past in the U.S. If you'd like to learn more read "The Polio Paradox" by Richard L Bruno HD Ph.D. He is a GODSEND to PPS'ers.
I too had polio in 1944 in Brooklyn, NY.

Carrie --- That is one of the reasons why I posted my picture hoping for any encouragement if things get difficult!

Thank you all for your encouragement! I will keep posting all results and happenings.

Tplant,

I am joyful for you as I know you are very happy to finally be getting the ball rolling again. I can't wait to see how it goes for you and will be cheering you on.

My DH's cousin suffers from polio and has been in a wheelchair from it since childhood. She is in her late fifties now and has PPS. I know she is in pain a lot from it but she has a great attitude like so many of that era do and does what she can do and allows others to help her with the rest of it. It is great that it is a dying disease as I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Thanks for the before picture. You will soon be a shadow of your former self and will have to fend off the ladies with a stick.

Lani

The loss of weight will definetly be a big asset to my health. So many diets, so many times I put the weight back on and always, always more than I would lose! Some people would say it is my fault because no one forced me to eat and that is true. I gave up smoking overnite from two packs a day to none --- Booze from excess to none all this overnite but food was just to strong for me. It wasn't gluttony it was the ice cream and cake. I ate no more than the average person but I ate the wrong foods. Fast foods were my downfall also. Now after surgery I will have a back-up system of friends that have had the surgery and I will see them monthly plus a lifetime nutritionist to advise me on how and what to eat. Don't forget my stomach will only be able to hold a half cup of strained food for a few months and I will be eating four times a day and always having bottled water in my hand. Very important to drink water. It's the week prior to surgery(3/1) that concerns me? Liquid only for one week???

I've already been to every monthly meeting since I decided to go for it. It is so nice to talk to people that understand and been there and done that and see them in a beautiful new body! They are all so happy!

Gotta call my MD now for a blood profile and an EKG.

Have an appointment with my Primary for blood work and EKG. Also have an envelope for him from my surgeon. Guess it's some kind of a release form. The appointment is for 3/20 at 11am.

Tplant just out of curiosity do you have any idea how much lap band costs in total? Since my insurance won't cover it I will have to save up for it and it is nice to know a somewhat close goal. My suspicion is it would be cheaper in my area than in Florida. Maybe someone at one of your meetings had to pay for it on their own?

I hear ya about doing diets and then gaining it all back with more. Presently I am cutting back and exercising in the public pool and will continue to cut back on my portions till I am gorgeous! I am praying that it will work this time with all the motivation I have but will keep lap band in the back of my brain as an alternative I can always go to someday.

I gained my first large amount of weight from medication. Never could lose it and now have gained more. Not my idea of fun that's for sure. My DH eats three times what I do and is still rather skinny. I jokingly tell him I hate him for that. He just giggles and keeps eating. lol

Lani

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

TP - and whoever is interested, this is a good website for gathering information on the different surgeries, surgeons in your area and meeting people who are both pre and post op.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/566234/

Also I just wanted to clarify a point about the gastric bypass surgery AKA Roux-en-Y. A portion (usually 3+ feet) of the small intesting is NOT removed but rather bypassed so the food you take in meets the small intesting further down resulting in less absorption - the Y part of the surgery. Hope that made sense:)

Is you appt Feb 20th - not March right?

-Kim

Ponditis --- Lap- band surgery costs $15,000 and gastric-by-pass costs $20,000. Scary if you have to pay out of pocket.

Kim --My surgery date is 3/1 but I have two MD appointments prior. On 3/20 with my primary for blood profile and EKG and 3/24 with the anestheseologist prior to surgery.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2006 11:21 AM

YIKESSSSSSSSSSSSS lol might be easier, cheaper, and faster to just tie a balloon over my mouth?

LOL @ Ponditis!
Pati

I had to stop taking my pain medication because the doctor said I would build up an immunity to pain killers and they wouldn't help me after surgery. Things have been difficult for me and cold weather makes it worse. Wouldn't you know we are in the middle of a freakish cold snap in So. Fl? Arthritis, Carpul Tunnel and Post Polio Syndrome do not react well to cold and I have all three.

Tplant, I had to go off all my pain meds too before surgery and I know it was hard to do. Can't imagine having PPS in addition to the other pain complexes and no meds. OUCH. You have my sympathy but soon you will be basking in your glory of consistent and easier weight loss. I guess in your case the end justifies the means.

Edited because of an unsteady finger. This computer seems to think I always want double letters on things. lol

This message was edited Feb 14, 2006 2:26 PM

I wish it was March 1 already! I'll be starting my pre-op diet on 2/21. It really isn't as bad as it sounds.(Liquid diet) It allows me to have oatmeal, cream of wheat and grits, all kinds of sugar free puddings and yogurt,strained fat free soups, tomato and V-8 juice, 1% milk and of course a protein supplement which I've never tried. Anyone know of a good tasting protein drink that can be mixed with my 1% milk? Kim what did you use?

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh gosh TP, I have tried just about every one they make. I couldn't have the milk but they sure would have tasted better made with milk! I know Whole Foods and My Organic Market sell tons as well as the Vitamin Shoppe, they should have some in individual packets for you to try before commiting to one brand and/or flavor. Try to choose the one with the highest protein and the lowest carbs/sugar. Since you will be getting vitamins in the form of supplements don't let that be too much of a factor when choosing.

I personally liked Pro-Score 100 chocolate flavor to which I added instant coffee granules before whizzing it up. I thought that coffee comment might get your attention. In the beginning I added decaf granules because the doc said no caffeine. You can add flavored extracts and a few ice cubes and blend away. There are also protein mixes that can be made with juice now. Steer clear of the Spirulina shakes. MetRx, ProBlend 55 and EAS AdvantEdge had good flavors and made the cut at one point in time before I settled on Pro-Score.

They are a great way to start the day.
Happy V Day TP - smooches
-Kim

I was supposed to see my primary this morning for an EKG and blood profile but accidently took a sip of coffee and screwed that up. New appointment for tomorrow at 11am. Getting excited as 3/1 draws closer. Going to put off my pre-op fast by one day as my son, whom is off tomorrow, promised to make his very famous cross rib roast in the slow cooker. He has a fantastic recipe and it really is delicious.

This message was edited Feb 20, 2006 8:15 PM

My garden has been hurting as much as me. Because I can't take any type of pain meds my polio affected right leg and left hip have prevented me from being out in my garden. All I can do is water. To walk on the grass and uneven ground is unbearable for me. Now I can hardly walk at all because of the pain. Eight more days to go! I remember when it was months...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.