Winter Squash
(88 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Other?
(41 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I planted two on the side with not so good soil, and two on the side with really good deep soil and it was a raised bed. The two on the raised bed side never grew at all (stayed 4 inces tall all summer long). The two on the shallow, not so good soil side grew tall, but the sprouts never fully developed. I think I planted all of them with compost in the planting hole.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Were they in full sun & kept well watered? And I don't think I understand your garden. One side has "good soil" & one side has "bad soil"? Compost just in the "planting hole"? How is your vegetable garden set up?

I can't help but think that it was the growing circumstances rather than the vegetable that did you in. I've grown fabulous brussels sprouts here in VA - which is actually not a good brussel sprout growing area because of the warmer climate - but my garden is set up with deep thoroughly composted soil throughout.

I think if you set things up better you can produce sprouts as good if not better than what your father brought home from the market.

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

You did mean favorites right?

Beets, Cabbage,Carrots,Rutabaga and Winter Squash...to name a few! And my vote includes "Others" too...

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9b)

I plant lots and lots of broccoli and cauliflower. Ymmmm

JIM

Plano, TX

Spinach, cause I wanted to be Popeye The Sailor as a kid. I still do, so I eats my spinach and get real strong :) Kids love it too, we had some tonight, along with a mix of leaf lettuce, tomatos and of course love. Its warm here tonight, hope it is at your dinner table too.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I voted other but I really meant all of the above plus. I love all winter vegetables, much more so than the summer veggies. Spinach, beets, acorn squash, brussel sprouts, cabbage....on and on....I eat them daily whenever possible. There's something a little more "robust" about winter veggies, you know?

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

I love growing Rutabagas just so I can use the word in a sentence....lol. That's a word we don't hear enough in polite conversation..

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

I voted other because I like Beets, Carrot and Pumpkins about the same. The rest are way out in left field. Dotti

I voted turnips, but probably should have voted other because I love pumpkin and spinach. Oh well! I just love food! :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Cabbage and broccoli weren't on the list so I had to vote "other". What would winter be without broccoli rice casserole or cabbage soup!
Sheila
edit to say....Now where is that recipe link that was mentioned.

This message was edited Nov 9, 2005 6:17 AM

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

hsfrank2005, Could you post your Broccoli Rice Casserole recipe? Sounds like something I'd like to try!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I checked "other" because it's COLLARDS for me! But only if they are picked before they get so huge and tough.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

I had to vote other because I love all vegetables!!!! And winter veggies are great on a cold night!
Annie

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

I wish you would have an all of the above or be able to pick several :) I grow them all and love them all. And they are mighty fine this fall in Kentucky :)

Boone, IA

My radishes have never been so sweet as the ones I've had this fall.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I voted other as broccoli and cauliflower were not listed.

Really Big variety of butternut squash makes excellent pumpkin pies.

Swainsboro, GA(Zone 8b)

I voted other as my favorite fall vegetable is Collards.

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

Actually I like ALL vegetables with one exception, Lima beans, too mealy

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Rutabaga is my most very favorite vegetable of all the vegetables in the world... I know, I'm a little different :)

I like turnip GREENS. The turnips are okay, but if I have to choose, it's hands down on the greens... Turnip, mustard, kale...

I like winter squash, too. Is that the same as acorn squash? I like acorn squash in the winter...

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Acorn squash is one winter squash, as are Hubbard and butternut. Winter squashes are the harder varieties.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

There are dozens of lovely winter squashes: Butternut, Acorn, Delicata, Sweet Dumpling, Kabocha - really, the list is almost endless. And what's nice is that they're virtually interchangeable in any recipe calling for winter squash.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

And they're not only lovely tasting but all that I'm familiar with are lovely to look at, too.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

We love almost all vegetables, but winter squashes/pumpkins are our favorites this time of the year. If you have not grown Red Warty Thing (orange ball in the middle), you should try it. Give it the garden to play in, and you will be rewarded. This year we grew these for the first time: Greek Sweet Red (looks like a big butternut), North Georgia Candy Roaster (banana shaped), and Galeux d' Eysines (apricot colored on the right).

Thumbnail by patrob
Cleveland, OH

I voted other, Rutabaga used to be the favorite. Then a few years ago my African american neighbor taught me how to make Collard greens soul style. You should see the size of my collard patch...I pick them right through the snow and the colder it gets the sweeter they are!

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Other, RADISH!
I am now growing German Giant Radish, Sakurajima Mammoth
Radish, Round Black Spanish, White Hailstone, Sparkler, Japanese Minowase Daikon, Chinese Green Luobo, Four Seasons Leaf Radish, Shogoin
Globe, Korean Sweet Glade, Korean Daebu Summer, and several crosses I made in spring. So far my favorite is the Round black spanish. It's hot, firm skinned keeps in the ground for months, and gets as big as a soft ball. It also makes a huge bush when it goes to seed. It can be six feet high and around and covered with flowers. I always let a few big radishes go to seed. They become huge plants covered with lovely flowers. The pods are deliciously radish flavored if eaten before they get woody. Don't worry about getting a podding radish, they all make pods and lots of them!

Also, my wife makes a miso radish soup that really makes me look forward to radish weather.

Henderson, NV(Zone 9b)

I voted "other". I love them all and more.

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Voted for other.

Lettuce is our fall and winter time crop, and as Frogrus mentioned, a nice fresh salad during the winter is tops around here.

Donna

West Portsmouth, OH(Zone 6a)

I guess I should have qualified my "from the south" statement when I said my family didn't like vegetables "from the south." My family is my DH and two kids from Ohio ( and my MIL, too, I guess) and considers anything below the south side of the Ohio River to be the south. I came from South Carolina. Breezymeadow, you're right, okra is a Southern Belle alright. My DH, however, also wouldn't touch cooked cabbage, kale, spinach, collard greens (which he is sure came from Georgia or Alabama or Mississippi), nor will he eat broccoli, brussel sprouts, or any of the other gas producing vegetables that all of us seem to crave so much. He does, however, hail the pinto bean! He does crave a few vegetables other than beans, but considers the others to be from the south because he never even heard of most of them until he met me. They sold these vegetables in the grocery stores right here, but his DM did not buy them. She gardened and grew cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, cabbage and hot peppers. She grew this same garden every year for over 50 years. It was more difficult than you can imagine trying to cook for him. Trying to fix dinner for 40-50 years with a choice of vegetables being beans or corn or coleslaw or potatoes or maybe one or two more. It's not his fault he wasn't introduced to these vegetables growing up. I tried to get him to eat them, but haven't you heard, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."?

My kids, however, did learn to eat these vegetables because I fed them to them as kids. I never gave them a chance not to like them. The only vegetable they won't eat is okra. What a shame.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Well - kudos to you for trying!!

I have to wonder why your husband equates vegetables "from the south" (even tho most of the ones you posted are not) with poor eating? That doesn't make much sense. And beans, corn, coleslaw & potatoes sure don't make much of a culinary existence - lol!!!

West Portsmouth, OH(Zone 6a)

Not much color either. I always grew up with a colorful plate of food. It's getting better, though. He eats green beans now. When I put corn and green beans on his plate and add a sliced tomato, it 's Technicolor! LOL!

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Carrots!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.