Winter Squash
(88 votes, 28%)
Red dot

Other?
(41 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I voted winter squash but I also love brussels sprouts which are just tiny little buds on the stems of my plants... wonder what I did wrong?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I love winter squash soup!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

i voted winter squash but i luv my pickeled redbeets too!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Lettuce for me. It is so hot and dry that it does not do well in summer for me. Fresh salad is a fall delicacy for my family.

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL... I misread "Beets" to say "Beers"... LOL, can that be my answer? :)

Sarah

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

I voted other, 'cause it HAS to be - ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Pumpkins...like in pumpkin pie and desserts!!!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Sequee, now you are on to something, I love them all too. But I marked spinach as I can use that in so many ways. And Terry I have a wonderful butternut squash recipe, yum. And brussel sprouts are wonderful, I roasted some in the oven a couple of weeks ago with cornish hens, they were so good. I have lettuce in my raised beds going now and we are beginning our second harvest; one in spring and one in fall. Fresh salads, nothing better. Well, I love veggies even slimy okra which I can't grow here in Oregon. Too cool at night.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I had to vote "Other". What other choice did I have?

I adore Swiss Chard, Brussel Sprouts, Spinach, Kale, Mizuna & other Asian Greens.

And then once I started thinking about baby turnips glazed in butter, braised carrots with tarragon, buttered beets with orange zest, every root veggie possible roasted with olive oil & rosemary.

I don't think I've met a Fall vegetable - or any vegetable for that matter - that I didn't like.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

i voted winter squash but i love them all really, and leeks weren't on the list, which in my mind are way up there.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

You didn't mention broccoli, but that is my fall favorite. I fix it in so many ways.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I voted for beets, but now that I'm salivating over your descriptions of carrots with tarragon and turnips and brussel sprouts and lovely spinaches and olive oil and rosemary wafting through the house, I'm wondering if I can change my vote.

But then again, maybe not... I made roasted redbeets marinated in a rice wine vinegar potion and it was lovely. I served them as an appetizer and everyone (even beet haters) thought they were great! Wish I could recreate the marinade, but I just went into a "creative" mode and put in a little of this and that! Boo Hoo

I didn't know there were so many vegetable lovers in this world. How fun! lol

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I too voted "other" because there was no "all of the above" option.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

It didn't specify in what sense favorite was favorite, so I picked my favorite aesthetically, and that is pumpkins. Winter squash would be a close second.

I bought a couple winter squash last fall to use a decorations. I sort of intended to eat them and put them on top of the refrigerator but never did eat them because high-carb vegetables are not part of the diet I started. They are still there. One is shriveled up and needs to go to the compost pile. The other is perfectly intact, like I bought it last week. Maybe I should keep all of my food on top of the refrigerator instead of in it. ;-)

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I voted winter squash. I love it cooked in the microwave with butter, seasoned salt and seasoned pepper. Yummy.....
=^..^=

North Adams, MI(Zone 5b)

Voted for pumpkins as in homemade pumpkin pie,cheesecake, bread, pumpkin rolls, cookies :)

Weight Watchers is not going to like me this fall !!

West Portsmouth, OH(Zone 6a)

Did anybody besides me ever eat fried beets? My Grandmama used to fry in a little butter and I loved them, but nobody else has ever heard of it.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

They're all great, but Swiss chard is such a good friend. I grow "Bright Lights" - a visual delight in the garden and so tasty and nutritious. Here it grows more as a perennial, lasting three years before the stem becomes too woody and I pull it out.

Pollyanna, did your Grandmama steam the beets first before frying? Sounds good. I like Chioggias and golden beets - the cooked greens are good, too.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I voted for beets. It was a toss up between beets and winter squash, but the beets won out because I spend all summer waiting for the beets so I can make a big pot of borscht soup.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Were is the Corn?? I voted other

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmm - I don't know about Oklahoma, but here in Virginia, except for ornamental Indian Corn, regular sweet corn is considered a late summer vegetable. Fresh local sweet corn hasn't been available around here for about 2 months now.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

'Other,' because I grimaced at everything listed! Yuck......now, if broccoli had been there..........;-) Oh, WITH the Cheez Whiz, well.........

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yep, Broccoli is my favorite so I voted Other.
I'm still eating from the spring planting!
Lots of side shoots this year.
Andy P

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Pumpkin! I enjoy making homemade pumpkin pies from fresh pumpkin.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

I voted other. It's broccoli hands down! You get some of the biggest heads and best tasting AND they're bug free in the fall!

Olympia, WA

I couldn't find mine on the list ........chocolate!
Oh well - but then, I also could not find ........... coffee!

I guess my drummer is different - you 'spose?

Corn and tomatoes would be OK - but they aren't there
How about garlic or onions - would those count?

Shoot - guess I just better wait for the next two seasons to be over and done with ..........

Vicki

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I went with Winter Squash since it's one of the only ones that you only get in the fall. I love everything on the list though.. made me hungry just reading it

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Winter Squash here..although everything is yummy. I'm craving Roasted Winter Squash and plan to have some for Thanksgiving as a special treat...haven't had many high carb veggies this year either.

Roasted Winter Squash and Onions

Peel and slice favorite winter squash in strips about as long and wide as your finger
Slice an onion (about 3 or 4 quarts total veggies)

1/4 cup of olive oil
lots of fresh ground black pepper
salt
lots of ground ginger (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup of frozen orange juice concentrate
mix all of this together and pour over the squash and onions.

Bake uncovered in a 450* oven for 35 to 45 minutes, stirring twice.

different and very good!

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Winter squash! Not only is it my favorite (even when I was a baby I liked squash baby food the best, according to my mom), but the other options are more readily available other times of the year: winter squash is exclusively a fall treat for me. I also think of pumpkins as counting in the same category as winter squash, especially since I use pumpkins interchangably with other winter squash in many recipes. Spaghetti squash is fun. We recently tried spaghetti squash with mizithra cheese and it was delicious!!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

winter squash. I also like mustard and collard greens.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I originally voted "Other" because Parsnips are my favorite, if I have to choose just one. I'm with Breezymeadow - all manner of root vegetables are my favorites, but I really like everything listed. That roasted winter squash recipe looks like a terrific Thanksgiving side dish! Only about a third (or fewer) of my T'giving guests appreciate squash, but that'll just leave more for me and DH!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's something I threw together the other day to go with a chicken I roasted on the rotisserie:

ROASTED MIXED ROOT VEGETABLES

2 thin-skinned/waxy white or red potatoes
2 turnips
2 small/medium onions
2 large/thick carrots
Handful of peeled garlic cloves, or peeled cloves from 2 heads
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Dried or fresh-chopped rosemary
Paprika

Preheat oven to 475 degrees.

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise & each half in thirds. Peel turnips, cut in half lengthwise & each half in thirds. Peel onions, cut in half lengthwise & each half in half.again lengthwise. Peel carrots & cut in 2” long chunks.

Place all vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet & pour approx. ˝ cup of olive oil over. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, rosemary, & paprika, & using your hands, toss vegetables on baking sheet until thoroughly covered with oil & spices. Spread vegetables out on baking sheet in a single layer, or as close thereto as possible.

Roast vegetables for 15 minutes at 475, stirring occasionally, then turn heat down to 400 & continue roasting for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Test for doneness by piercing with a sharp knife, which should slide in fairly easily, but perhaps with a “little” resistance in the center.

Leftovers, if any, reheat easily in the microwave.

Edited to add: "stirring occasionally" while are veggies roasting. Sorry about that!)

This message was edited Nov 8, 2005 8:34 AM

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Sounds yummy!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Winter squash are our favorite. Take those long necked squash, slice and parboil. Dip in egg and seasoned crumbs and fry in olive oil. My hubby eats them with maple syrup.

Squash contains elements that help protect your throat and lungs from winter colds.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey! What happened to cabbage? Here, in lovely, sweaty zone 9, cabbage and all its derivatives are winter crops.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Pop on over here:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/555020/

We have a whole thread devoted to cabbage recipes going on.

West Portsmouth, OH(Zone 6a)

Yuska, Yes, the beets were steamed first. Nobody in my family likes beets and I buy them canned because it's hard to buy fresh beets two or three at a time. My famlily didn't come from the South, so they don't like kale or cabbage, or rutabaga, turnips, okra, broccoli, brussel sprouts, etc. My husband says these things don't even smell sanitary when they are cooking. He doesn't know what he's missing!

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Gee Pollyanna - the only vegetable you've listed that can be considered "from the south" is okra.

The rest are grown & enjoyed nationwide. In fact, brussel sprouts, broccoli, kale, rutabaga, cabbage, & broccoli are actually considered cool-weather northern crops. I think your husband needs some vegetable education.

I'd just say you live in an anti-vegetable household, period. How sad & unhealthy that is.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Hey Janiejoy, I grew brussel sprouts last year and had the same problem- small little sprouts. My dad came over at Thanksgiving with a beautiful stalk of them that he bought at the grocery store!!!! My DH said "How come these are so big compared to yours?" I was so mad that I threw the spindly stalks at my poor DH.

Anyway, maybe someone can clarify this problem- was it a borer, or a disease? Teeny- weeny sprouts that never develop?

Personally I love everything BUT beets.

Acorn squash filled with rice pilaf, almonds and sausage is my family's favorite, anytime of year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.