I just discovered abutilons

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I didn't know these existed. I have to have one! (or two...) They're gorgeous!! Where is the best place to get one? I'm pretty sure I've not seen them at our nurseries here. Where online?

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I just read a article about them in Horticulture magazine. I have only one and it was received in trade and it has started blooming and it is beautiful. I want more! I hope someone lists a good vendor for them. Lou

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I read that same article! They do list a couple of places in the back of the magazine for them.

www.avantgardensne.com
www.cistus.com
www.kartuz.com
www.logees.com

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a few varieties of Abutilon. I will be taking cuttings in the spring. Maybe we could do a trade then. One of my plants just gave me a couple of seed pods - yellow flower. Only got 24 seeds total but some of my plants have never gone to seed. They can only be propagated from cuttings.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Kathy! We'll be sure to talk then! :-) What varieties do you have? You must post pictures!

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Here's a thread that a couple of us were posting pictures of our plants.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/538283/

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, believe me, I saw that. Where did you think I learned about them? ;-) (The article from Horticulture caught my eye just today.)

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Okay, so I just went back to look at that thread and noticed that you have the ones I drooled over! LOL

San Diego, CA

I have several of these growing here in San Diego. They are super easy to grow. I bought my first one from Lowe's in a 4" pot and then I spotted the seeds in Park's catalog. You can start them from seeds anytime and they are very easy and reliable. I don't like the dwarf strains as much as the old fashioned because I use them outside. I have 3 in front of my living room window and right now they are over 6 feet tall. I cut them way back each Spring and watch them come back year after year. A nice dose of fertilizer a couple of times a year really aids in the bloom. The others are in large pots and get around 5 to 6 feet each year. Cut them back and within a month, you'll see all new growth. Mine like some afternoon shade rather than full on sun.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I got my abutilons a week ago and in the last couple of days, they've been dropping leaves. :-( Is this just shock from the shipping and transplanting or am I doing something wrong?

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

It is probable just the shock. Many of the leaves fell off of mine when I brought them in for the winter. I even let one go dormant last winter. The foilage above the ground level died. When I brought in the house in the spring and started to water it again it came up very nicely. It looked great this summer. One thing you should know also. Abutilon seem to need lots of water. If allowed to dry out too much your flowers will fall off also. Good luck. Which varieties did you get?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Kristen's Pink and Ruffles.

I potted them in Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil. I figured that would give them the best possible chance of surviving ME. LOL. Thanks for the watering tip!

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Just found this site with a very good selection.

http://montereybaynsy.com/A.htm

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Except that they're wholesale only... :-(

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

Try Singing Springs Nursery. They seem to offer some nice ones:

http://www.singingspringsnursery.com/

I have put my first order in with this nursery. Their reputation on GardenWatchDog is excellent!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2006 11:39 AM

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Kylee...when you get your Abutilons and have some extra....try planting one outside....(no, I'm not kidding!)

Of course, they're probably not hardy for you, but you wouldn't believe how they grow in-ground and how they bloom their heads off in late summer/early fall when the cool nights set in.

A friend from Georgia had sent me some a few years back and she talked me into planting one outside....unbelievable!!

I ended up trading all mine off a few years ago....they demanded more light during the winter than I could give them and attracted spider mites.

They were certainly lovely while I had them though....and that one I planted outdoors!! WOW!! (you've *gotta* try it!)

I've seen them on ebay quite often, and as long as you get *rooted* plants.....that's an idea.

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Nan...What varieties of abutilon did you have? I have had abutilons in the house for 3 winters now and haven't had a problem with spider mites. Maybe just certain varieties are vulnerable to mites.
I've only planted these in pots and put them outdoors in the summer. I've never planted them in the ground. I'm going to take cuttings and get them rooted this spring and try planting some in the ground and see how it goes. Would you like a cutting in the spring?
One of mine is in a north window and has continued to bloom throughout the winter. It sure cheered up the dark days of winter....Kathy

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Mine haven't bloomed yet. They are in a south window, and I probably will set them outside this summer, although if I keep them in, they'll probably be able to avoid pests. I can't wait until they bloom! They're small at the moment, in 4" pots, and about 8" tall. I got 'Ruffles' and 'Kirsten's Pink.'

Are they difficult to propagate?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh look what I found on my 'Kirsten's Pink'.......... :-)

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

Wow you have flowers. Great job! One thing to remember is to not let the plant get too dry. I let my plant get too dry and it dropped lots of buds.
I've only used rooting powder. It took a while to root. I will use superthrive in the spring. I'm told that you'll get much faster root growth using it. I'll see how it works come spring.
I have a Thompsonii tree that I will be taking many cuttings from but not until spring. I'll post when I have rooted cuttings available, if your interested. I have it in a north window. It's doing fine but has lost much of its variegation due to lack of sun...Kathy

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Of COURSE, I'm interested! LOL! :-)

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

lol! (is she interested?!)

I had a varied collection, kathyvm....but 2 of them were variegated...and one was Thompsonii.

My windows with good light are overtaken with other plants, and the Abutilons took a 'back seat'.
They just deteriorated so I traded them away.

Do, definintely try one outdoors, *everyone*! You'll be happy you did!

Congrats on that bud, Kylee....post a photo when it opens!

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I love variegated foliage on just about anything.

I hope I can keep this bud going until it blooms! We leave for Florida in five days, so there's a chance I'll miss it altogether! :-( Our daughter will be here, and I will be sure to have her take a picture, if I do. Once it blooms, how long does the flower usually last?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, back in November, I got my first abutilon, and when I started this thread in October, I hadn't even HEARD of them!

Now look! :-)

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Another view of 'Kristen's Pink':

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

'Ruffles' has a BUNCH of itty bitty buds forming! (I think they are buds. Another week and I'll know for sure.)

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Good work!!!

She's a beauty!

(pssstt.....you're becoming quite the houseplant collector, aren't ya?!)

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

YES! I think it's because I'm so anxious for spring.

And I can say for sure that 'Ruffles' has buds! Just overnight, they changed enough that I know they're buds and not foliage. :-)))

We brought home some things from Florida, which will have to be houseplants in the winter: Hibiscus, Bougainvillea, Azaleas, and several bulbs, including Amazon Lily and Blood Lily.

Thumbnail by kbaumle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.