A Roof Top Container... but then everything is up here

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Hi.. yes bigger.. more of everything.. and the most fun ever..

oh Kits .. she's gota summer schedule.. the 145*F roof is hard on her padded feet.. so she sleeps from 9 am to 5 pm ...I'll see if I can't get a picture of her ..on either part of a sunny day..
here's some of the beauty... Moonflowers...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Gordon, fabulous pictures from a fabulous garden and city!! I'll be there in a few weeks, of all the cities in the world it has to be one of my very favorite ones!

Crosbyton, TX(Zone 7a)

gorgeous pic....145 degrees amazing

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I enjoy the view from your rooftop. WOW!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Bec.. yes it is a great city to live in... almost impossible to visit though... unless you do it alot... there would be too much not to miss to just come once...or twice..well drop me a line if you are comming... I'll get you a personal roof tour.. and your complementary beverage..
Sticks n ...yes.. if it's about 85*.. the roof will make it to 145*.. when it was over 100* this summer... it only got up to 155* .....the windblowing over it ..is like a convection oven..talk about sorocco
ctimdel.. Thanks... well here's a planter picture...sorry no view shots with it... more will be comming... I've got a pile of my best performers in the front spaces... [ best to shoot to the city in captureing their flowering ] and they are about to blast away into flower bliss.. [Brug Cypress Gardens anda plumeria... and perhaps a pile of flowers from the brug... herrenhauser garten..although she is reputed to be a poor flowerer... she's grown to a gigantic size.. and is growing so well... but not a bud yet... but hope springs eternal] Thankfully ...Gordon
Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

the beverage stop on the tour

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

GordonHawk... you are the luckiest man on earth! I have a balcony which is probaby the size of that large sofa you have LOL - ok, it's a 1x6 metres rectangle.... I love my balcony, for various reasons: A - it's my only garden B -the view is terrific (much like yours, only difference is you live in NY and I live in Lisbon... ;-)) and last but not least C - it's great to have a "green corner of the world with the city buzz "down there"!

But to have your view and the size of that pateo, with the little relaxing areas, wow!

Well, I'm sure glad you made the most of it!!!!!
Wish you enjoy it!!

Love

Hiraeth

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Gordon, all your efforts have paid off fabulously! Just gorgeous! Is that turf grass in front of that last pic?

Lone Oak, TX

Hello Gordon,

what an amazing garden. Just couldn't believe a garden like that is located on a roof. I also have plumerias, brugmansias like you have, but they are not blooming this year. Thought it is because we have 2 mos of very hot weather in Texas in the 100-112F. So, I am really surprised that with up to 145F and windy, you can have such lush looking place. I am jealous....:(

I have some questions for you. What size is your rooftop? Also when did you start planting this garden? How far do you have to carry your plants in winter? How long does it take you to move your plants back outside in the spring and when do you start taking them back inside. Sorry for asking so many questions, but the logistics of
moving and caring for those plants are just mindboggling.

Thank you for sharing.

Sita

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks again for the mister links, GordonHawk!

Thumbnail by Herpst
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Herpst... Well glad to have helped... Gee.. am I partially responcible for releasing the mysteries of the past from that dinosaur egg... my my... nogetting them back in now... be careful.. art can be stronger than reality..
Sitabrothers.. well thanks.. Plumeria love it hot.. when t was 100*+F here fora week orso... theroofgotto 155*F... aboutthehottest I'veactually measured it to be... keep feeding the plumeria.. and they will bloom through the heat... Brugs.. are more effected... and mine are just getting their flowering back...but now the hurricane or whatever it is now... but at 40MPH winds... they call it a wind event...not to metion torential rains... hope there is a bud left... picture is Cyperss Gardens yesterday..a dozen open.. and another 100 probually blown all away now..on this one litle plant.. the roof is about 65' x 22' .. it used to be justthings grown in sheetrock mud buckets..5 gal plastic... roses on the front.. all tied together across the front... and heirloom tomatoes grown the same way across the back.. then came the fence and the rest is just work..about 8 years since the fence.. the plants come to the floor below with me... I have ahelper that works for me usually.. and in the spring and fall.. we puttogether and break down the garden ..andset it up below... where we have plumie and brugblooms ..most all winter.. no coolspace toletthemgodormant... so we give them 3 --400 watt metal halide/HPS lights..andsome flourescentsand incadescent plant lights.. weeks of work on either end of summer..
Geminisage.. Yes.. that's a bit of lawn... I run over it with my John Deer 40-40 4 X tractor[ Just kidding... I cut it with my string cutter] .. helps cool below.. and gives a look I love.. and the cat likes the cool grass between her toes..
MyHareith.yesI love and enjoy it..there's even a bit of time to relax and doze off up there.. to have plants not seen anywhere around.. is such a personal joy..and extreme pleasure.. every space...no matter how small..once you close your eyes...goes on forever
Ctindell.. THANKS... I LOVE THE VIEW..AND NEVER TIRE OF IT FROM UP HERE HERE'S MORE OF IT..
again..CyperssGardens... just before the highwinds...you can see one of the trumpets..blowing out straight ..like the flag.. Gordon

This message was edited Sep 2, 2006 9:57 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Sequee... well here is Kits...my loveable Bengal... she's inside with the hurricane or whatever it is up there today.she's not any happer than I am today... Gordon

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

She's a doll! I love her!

I got home from work on Saturday to a real mess! My yard looked like a war zone...again. I'm getting a bit tired of it already. Most of the things that are down now, will just stay down. It's a bit early to put up the Cannas, but I'm getting tired of chaising the pot around the yard. Funny how you can have 3 in a row and one does all the running around. Guess I'll show her...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.