Seed Snatchin' XIII...First Recon Mission

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Went to a birthday party last night. Huge crowd. It was held outside, so I wandered around looking at the landscaping. Several day lilies with seed pods. Had on pants that had 4 pockets, so as I snatched, I would say to myself, Little Business, right front pocket, Mardi Gras, left front pocket, etc, etc. Anyway got home and put them in cups (labeled with the names) without forgetting any of them. Wasn't much good at conversation the rest of the evening, because mentally I was reminding myself what was in which pocket!! Now I know that I need a pencil and paper with me at all times.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

And maybe some of the little ziplocs to put them in, JIC!! I was thinking yesterday that I needed something with me to be able to label them... so I could keep the names separate too... Time to get our snatchin' kits ready!!

My Dad's rule was to always make sure there was a working flashlight in the car before leaving the driveway - maybe my rule needs to be adapted to working flashlight and a snatchin' kit with x, y, and z in it! ~ Suzi ♥

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

just keep a pen handy and write on your arm(s)

8ft, I don't do tattoos. LOL It would be my luck if I wrote it on my arms, that it would be permanent ink, unlike some I've tried on plant tags that just would'nt budge at all. Maybe I will equip my vehicles with a snatchin kit. Pen paper, little bags, maybe a trowel, pruners. It could all fit in a shoe box in the trunk, so as not to take up too much space. For the pick up, I could include a shovel, etc. You get the idea. My DGD is 9 and she was riding her bike the other day with a friend, and they came in gave me a flower, and some seed pods. Have I taught her or what. The flower was hollyhock, and I know where it came from. Just hope that particular neighbor didn't see her!!

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I got some impatien seeds and Stella d oro seeds tonight at the resturant we went to for dinner!!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

whooo hoooo!!

:)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

I cruised a new subdivision under construction (first run on this one) and got 9 new rocks.
Doesn't take much to make me happy, huh?

Oh, thanks 8ft, your rocks remined me that I hadn't reported another snatch I made. Went to Gatlinburg first part of last week. My twin sister and I drove by this construction site close to our motel. There were a bunch of round river stones there, probably waiting to be incorporated into the building or landscaping. I told my sis to stop that I wanted to get some rocks. Well she drove on and said "you're kidding, right?" I said no I am not kidding, go back and pop your trunk. Well to her horror, she went back, popped the trunk, I flew out of the car and quicker than a wink put 5 stones in the trunk, closed it and was back in the car in less than 10 seconds. I really wanted more, but couldn't persuade her the next night to go back!! DH wanted to know where I got them when I got home, then he just shook his head and said no I don't want to know where you got them!!. We have boring limestone in Kentucky, not pretty ones like I got. My DBI is an artist and I am going to get him to paint them for me to put in flower beds. Any suggestions about what should be put on them?

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

"Gatlinburg keepsake" ??!!
Susan

Saving money on real souvenirs!!

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

They make neat turtles. When I was visiting DM in Denver we went to a nursery. She took a real liking to some figures made out of stone. Then the lightbulb went on. Said she could do that and then starting spewing ideas already.

Glue on four little round ones for stubby legs and another for a head and paint it up.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Rocks are good, 8ft. Good score, mysticwill! Defoecate, who could be mad at a lovely little girl for collecting seeds... good idea!

Center, TX(Zone 8b)

Round rocks......I'm thinking lady bugs. I just love them :>)

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah, there was a couple of lady bugs and toad.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Talking about toads, I HAVE FROGS!!!! I had never seen a frog in Jax (9+yrs) until this last week I will do everything I can think of to keep them happy. They are less than 1".
I have also been blessed with a bumper hatch of the tinyest 3/4" long baby Chameleons and Brown Anole Lizards. I am not prone to use bug kill, just to accomidate these wonderful garden guards.
sidney

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

We have a ----I don't know, but it shows up every night at sundown and sits under the front windows and chchchchchch's. I think it is a toad or maybe a tree frog?

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

have you heard of the invasive coqui frogs in Maui? Little rascals that sing all night, year round. At 90 decibels like a lawn mower. Then they get such high concentrations that it's driving them nuts.

Just read up on my Green Anole, they really aren't Chameleons after all. Those are big and scary looking. This fellow looks like a good citizen to me.
sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

That's not the kind I have Blaine and if it is they will have a species change. LOL
sidney

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Those anoles would be most welcome up here. Even in the house!! In the Philippines we had geckos. Very similar to your anole. Mosquitoe, fly, spider control in the house with no mess, no fuss. Plus the superstition was whenever you heard one 'clicking' in the house you had mail.

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

There is something wrong with me --LOL! Here I am taking my mom to go find out abot her next round of Cancer treatment and I am snachin daylily seed from the cancer center..... LOL!!!

Mystic, a girl with a mission, never pays attention to where she is, just what it is she wants. LOL. I have some beds staked out at a Baptist church nearby. I will try to explain to the Lord that I'm not stealing, just trying to expand on his lovely landscaping.

He already knows!
sidney

Sugarweed, you are right!! So will sincerely have to start thinking that way. He knows a lie too right?

Well He knows what He knows and He knows it all the time.
God is good. All the time. Don't sweat the small stuff.
sidney

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Mystic, prayers for you Moms complete healing being sent and I think that your Love of seed shows hope for the future, so snatch on!!

Susan

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi all! Just got back from Topsail Beach snatchless! Well except for sea shells. Enjoyed reading all the stories!

I missed you guys!!

Nicole

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

be careful what and how fast you say things Nicole.
I misread that twice before my brain downshifted. I thought you were fixing to tell us some story about coming back from the beach topless except for seashells because you used the top to carry all your snatches.

whewww. I need another pot of coffee.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Well at least Nichole has the body for it :)

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

You all are too funny!!!

Susan! You are one to talk woman!

Hey! I was talking about plants!!! :)

Nicole

Well I'm snatchin out of my own bed now and it's like having an impatient shop at my finger tips. MANY of my Impatients have 2" trunks and are round mounds 40" covered with blooms.
I am going to attempt to move a couple from the back to front today, In tact!
Others I've selected for a bloom that matches a color in my modest collection of coleus and I'm taking cuttings from it to root. They are usually vigorus in 2 weeks here. This year I have a big bank of voluteers on the outside of my back fence.
I can see never having to buy another plant EVER!
After the 20th I'm going to do a plant "Shopping" diet for myself.
See how much garden I can get with what I have and swaps.
Sidney
Yep, It'll be dirt, additives and mulch!.....Not even the dollar table, Yeah sure! LOL

I told Blaine that too Susan.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

:))))

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi! I just had a successful lunchtime snatch!

I walk around our warehouse sometimes at lunch and snagged myself a passion fruit! Hopefully I can get some seeds and have my own plant next year.

Nicole

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

That sounds awesome NC!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks! I just hope it's not invasive! Does anyone know? I hate to be a dummy and encourage that type of thing! I did read the Plant Files but I also have it stuck in my head from somewhere that it's a North Carolina native. hmmm...

Nicole

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

I saved 8 plants today from one of the sesonal plant places around here (I paid for them but...) I got 3 Martha Washington Geranuims for $5, 2 salvia, 2 lantana with seeds and a pink something. I'll have to get a picture of it... all of those for $10 and then I went to the back of the fence where the dead plants were (mostly dead- and mostly petunia) and snached some snapdragon and petuina seed...

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Kewl! I love Salvia too!

Nicole

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I get loads of seeds from spent baskets. There are 24 downtown baskets and I collect them every fall. Since they hang up along the streets, the seeds don't cross pollinate. I put three colors of petunias in the baskets this year, so I guess I'll be offering mixed petunia seeds for trade!

There are some lovely Wave petunia baskets in front of my PA's office. I'm going to ask him for them when the season is over...lots of good seeds. They won't come back true, necessarily, but they'll probably be close.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I didn't expect my purple wave petunias to come true from seed a few years ago, and in fact I didn't even save seeds from them (*slaps wrist*), but the following year I had a couple of volunteer plants in that window box that looked very much like the parent! I figure even if the seeds don't quite come true, you'll still end up with pretty petunias!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.