'Color Echoes' Part III: Pics from your Garden

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Thanks :) I wish I had planted it. It's on the far back side of the propert, way far away from the house. From here it's just a huge mass of yellow. These reseed so much, though, that I'm afraid to move them anywhere near my beds. I already have volunteer rudbeckias, and the patch is about 3 acres away - any closer and I'd be overrun.

dmcdevitt - I absolutely love that color combo! The pinks and yellows and purples. Looks like an easter egg. beautiful!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You nailed it stacy! Easter egg colors. Wonderful dmc.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

When I was a little girl pink and yellow was my favorite color combo. I don't want my bedroom in those colors anymore, but I love them in the garden.

Pearland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello from soggy south Texas! This is the best I have to offer right now. I am in the process of replanning the combinations in my front beds, so maybe next spring I can have beautiful plants there too. Does anyone know if you can grow Goldenrod (solidago) this far south? I just love the color.

Pam

Thumbnail by capwest28

VERY nice transition planting. Love the brick with the darker plants and then the repeat of stone work for the path. Also love the graduated heights! You've done a sterling job.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I had a chance to go out to my only flowerbed this morning and look for color echoes. The pictures seem to be a bit out of focus, but I am posting anyway.

Thumbnail by Posie4U
Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Here is the second one.

Thumbnail by Posie4U

Posie: That last photo is special. What is the flower that is in the back ground on the right? It matches the other ones so well. It's just dark enough to keep the eyes going back and forth from one to another and that's what we all want: for people (us included) to stop and look.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

dmcdevitt, I've never seen Miss Jessie loking so good. Perfect choice of lilies and great that they all bloom the same time. Posie4U. you have a very interesting grouping of plants. I love the purples and deep rose colors.

It's funny after you start looking for color echos how they jump out out you. Notice how nicely Samson's lips go with Jackie's Choice. Next time Prairie Blue Eyes blooms I will try to get another photo.

Arlene, I am still laughing about the image I have of you out with your spray cans. Somewhere just recently I saw a photo of some trees that had their trunks painted blue because the young son of the gardener suggested it and it looked just right for where they were located. Gives me some ideas for my dried ornamental grasses this winter.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

His nose, ears and mouth are all a perfect match. What a great photo that would make by his feeding spot - at his height, so he can see his own pretty face.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Pam - I'm not sure if it will work in Texas or not, but come on up and grab some. This is the really tall kind - about 4-5ft and I must have a good 1/2 acre of it. It self seeds with abandon, though, so caveats are in order.

Seriously thinking about getting some marroon "flower paint" to help highlight the natural burgundy plants in the winter.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Sorry, I didn't answer, Sanannie, we were on vacation.

Agastache is also known as Anise Hyssop, Korean mint, Licorice mint, and several other names. There are hardy varieties, and tender varieties, though I think they are all perennial (just not in my zone!).

I have Blue Fortune, Sunset, Heather Queen, and Apricot Sprite. They come in all sorts of colors like deep fuschia, peach, oranges and blues and purples. So far the blues have definitely seeded themselves a lot.

Posie4u and Dmcdevitt- I love your combos!

Jamie68- Your border picture from July 23rd reminds me of Gertrude Jekyll- she planted borders with richer colors at one end, changing her colors subtly (through color echoes) to lighter ones at the other end. It's very good.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Ivy1~

Thank-you very much for the fine compliment. I have tried very hard to do just that in the 50' border along my backyard fence.....Softer blues, purples, and whites...into hotter oranges, pinks and reds and yellows.......back into pastels - pinks, soft peachy/yellows, & whites.....not perfect, but getting there. You are the first person to see anything like what I am attempting, and you made my day!!!!! :o) I definitely have some tweeking to do this fall!!! But I would hate for it to ever be "done", then what would I do?? LOL :o)

Thanks again!
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I seem to be drawn to these 'color echos' all the time now...looking at my garden in a whole new way....here is one I have walked by several times, but today I "saw" it - really saw the tones and colors...the echo..:)

Sun Coleous & Lysimachia 'Persian Chocolate'

Have a Great Week!!
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68

What miracles we all see when we stand and look at our flowers! What a nice match!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Color echoes for today
Cameo Princess with lavendar phlox in the background, Achillea moonshine, and Rudbeckia prairie sun

Thumbnail by dmcdevitt
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

dmcdevitt, that is a beautiful photo! Your garden looks so lush and colorful. Mine is getting very brown from the lack of rain and the heat. Here is one plant that does not seem to mind and does a very nice job of making it's own color echos. The seed pods of this pcastor bean plant are the exact same shade as the stems and the veins and very center of the purple leaves.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess

Thanks Susan
We are about peak here. The season is short in zone 4, but it's been a decent year for perennials. (and mosquitoes)

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

dmc~

What a glorious mass of blooms!! Your Summer Garden seems to be a wonderful, lush place....mine is starting to slow, how nice to see pics like yours!!

Beautiful!!!

Jamie

dmc - your delphiniums make me want to go out and eat dirt! Either that or torch some areas so I can put some in!

Delphiniums up here are one of the consolations for the short season..i struggled with them in NJ, and they just couldn't take the prolonged warm humidity. Up here they do much better, as do painted daisies and a couple other things.
There really is nothing like the clear blue of delphinium.
Maybe it was a recent Martha Stewart that had a woman, I think in Canada, with an allee of naturalized delphiniums - hundreds or thousands. So it must be that cool is the trick...

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Sorry to backtrack here, but I've gotten a little bit better picture of Coneflower and Sunset Agastache (Hyssop). What you can't tell is that the buds of the Agastache start out the same orange as the center of the Coneflower, but then turn the same pink as the petals when they open up! You get both colors all the way up the stem, orange orange pink , orange orange orange, pink pink, etc.

DmcDevitt- mmmm. Luscious photo.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2005 4:28 PM

Thumbnail by Ivy1

Ivy,

Not only are the plants a wonderful color echo but the angle of your photograph makes it so very interesting!

Arlene

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Pirl- It's the only way I could get the picture! If you are standing in front of the house you see the combination immediately, but it's better looking out the window. I just couldn't get a good shot any other way. Neighbors are probably laughing their heads off at me crawling around on the ground holding my camera up over my head!

So let them laugh: yours is the picture we're complimenting, not theirs!

From within.

Thumbnail by pirl

Side by side.

Thumbnail by pirl

Ivy
Yes, the angle of the picture is great and that is beautiful with the agastache. Isn't it fun to hunt for pics right in your own garden? You know, I may try crawling under the plants with the camera over my head! Youe coneflower has such a sculptural, massive effect with that angle.

And pirl the hydrangeas are lovely. I love blue. those will definitely not bloom up here (I've tried. I thought I could outsmart mother Nature. You should SEE some of the gimmicks I've tried!!)

For more warmth select the warmest spot on your property (to up it a zone). For more cold, just the opposite.

Still, no matter what we do, Mother Nature knows best and if it isn't meant to be then we're left to be lurkers.

I like the quote that says: "But make no mistake, the weeds will win:
Mother Nature bats last".

Arlene
I didn't see that quote in the list...That's the one that will go on MY garden sign!!
She's good to us, Mother Nature, and as mothers ourselves, I guess we know it's good to respect mom!

"If mama ain't happy, nobody's happy"

Two things come to mind:
A sign "If mama ain't happy, no one's happy"
signed, Mother Nature

And second thought (I guess because of Charlie) if we had a GRANDMOTHER nature in addition to MOTHER nature, I bet she'd let me have a blue hydrangea in zone 4!!

Good idea dmc!

Found this match while checking today's photos.

Thumbnail by pirl
East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

pirl is that yarrow? I don't see pinks in my area, just yellow, paprika & white. Love it.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful Oriental lily, Pirl. Is that 'Pink Icicles'? It is my favorite.

it was an accidental pairing. now that I like what I see, I will plan my next purchases for this area more carefully. Musa Zebrina and hibiscus acetosella.

This message was edited Jul 25, 2005 10:01 PM

Thumbnail by vossner
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Pirl- Mother Nature is definitely happy with your pairing of yarrow and lily! I have never seen that color of yarrow either.

Vossner- that is a GORGEOUS Hibiscus! I've never seen one with the purple hued foliage before. I assume it is a tropical Hibiscus, not hardy in my zone....

Yes, vossner, it is pink yarrow. We have the other colors you mentioned and a deep magenta. White is my least favorite but I cut off the heads and then they come back so nicely - back to white, instead of that "dying white".

It's not 'Pink Icicles' but until I get out my plans I don't know which one it is. I planted quite a few there that didn't ever seem to grow and then planted more so now I have 'Pink Confusion'. :-))

Vossner: if you check up on 'Euphorbia Chameleon' it has the same colorings but different small leaves - well behaved. Your composition is lovely no matter how it happened!

Thanks Ivy! Jack grew them all from seed back in '97 and we have every color except paprika.

Ivy and Vossner: I didn't see your names on the tour of our gardens! We're under
Forums: Garden Talk, Southold Historical Society Garden Tour July 9th, 2005. Please pay us a visit and please leave your comments on the thread. We will eventually print it out so we can keep it with our souveniers of the day. Thanks, and welcome to our garden!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info Pirl. I kept meaning to go there, but never knew where it was.

Vossner- I feel like I've said this on every thread, but Diabolo Ninebark is a very attractive plant with colorations in the green purple range. I may have even said so on this thread! It does look a little like the Hibiscus leaf though. Maybe a Black Beauty Elderberry instead. There is a new Summer Chocolate Mimosa tree as well. There are also some Weigelas- Wine and Roses and others. Cordyline has a real sculptural look. Also there is a really gorgeous Clematis with purple leaves, and Vitis which is a grapevine, I believe.

http://www.aildm.com.au/articles/plant%20info/red_and_purple_leafed_plants.htm

http://www.dutchgardens.com/SiteMap/Offers/Purple_leaved_Clematis.htm

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=24081

This message was edited Jul 26, 2005 1:03 PM

ivy, I have a clematis w/ purple flower nearby. I also have an oleander close to this area that puts out the palest peach flowers. l actually lose sleep sometimes thinking about all the combos I can get going. I will ck the diabolo ninebark.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.