'Color Echoes' Part III: Pics from your Garden

Thanks, all. Bluegrass, unfortunately I bought this at Home Depot and it was labeled only Rex Begonia. I believe these are known for their foliage. I bought two kinds and they are both outstanding!

Ivy, I knew someone would ask what those lilies were! I braved the garden spiders at night to get you the names:
The recumbant petaled lily is:
Lilium speciosum 'Uchida', and the other lily is Arabian Red, both from B&D lilies, see the links below. I just bought these bulbs this year and they are already blooming!

http://store.yahoo.com/snowcreek/l7064.html

http://store.yahoo.com/snowcreek/species.html

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Pixie,

OOHHH. I LOVE your pinks! Made me smile big. :))

Leslie

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pixy ~ I hope you will come visit the Lily Forum. We always love a new playmate!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Pixydish, I got 4 plants at Home Depot back in June. They were simply labeled Rex begonia and cost less than $3 each. I love them. I hope I can keep them alive inside over the winter.

Edited to say I have already posted pictures of them earlier on this thread. Just wanted to share my delight in finding great Rex begonias at HD with Pixydish. :>}

This message was edited Aug 9, 2005 10:47 AM

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Pixy- thanks for your info, I hope you didn't get too many mosquito bites! All my lilies (about 50) died two years ago, over the winter. Don't know what happened to them- eaten, frozen, rotted? So I'm about ready to try again.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

$3 for rex begonia? what a deal! you did excellent.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Ivy,

I had the same exact thing happen, same time! I was always willing to blame it on the time we didn't remember to turn off our last zone on the irrigation system and it ran for 8 hours straight. Now I'm beginning to wonder if it was the weather. I replaced many of mine but lost some of my lily fever, thinking it could happen again.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I love the coleus with the Cannas - What a good idea. I have so many Cannas - and they do need something at their feet.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Pirl, I know what you mean. I am a little gun shy.

Mine had been there for three years, and were naturalizing like crazy. I had deep red, orange and yellows, with a few dark pinks thrown in for fun. They were all on top of a large retaining wall, and my neighbor's were coming up but mine weren't. I was sure it was a vole or rat or squirrel, but now I think differently, since every one of them was gone. If it was a pest, then surely one or two would've made it, or my neighbor's under the wall would've been eaten too!

My jealousy over everyone else's beautiful lily pics is getting the better of me, though! Plus I just saw a hummingbird zipping around my neighbor's orange Turk's Cap Lilies for about half an hour, so I really want some more! They would draw the hummingbirds better than anything else in the garden, except the red Bee Balm.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Want to share this pic taken recently...

Thumbnail by jh_gardens
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nice shot! Hey, I think that guy was in my yard about a week ago ~ he was missing his left tail then too.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Moby - You know these winds are pretty strong at times...in fact I think I recall an east wind last week! LOL 'Bout break my neck running to the house to grab the camera when I see a photo op!!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

That is a really stunning shot! Love how the butterfly picks up the color of the tiny yellow stamens!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Thank you Ivy!

Pixiedish, I love the contrasting foliage of your Justicia, Coleus, Persian Sheild, and Rex Begonia! Judy

Glad you liked the photos, LaLambchop, and Moby, I will have to mosy over to the Lily forum one of these days. I do love the lilies!
NoH2O, looks like we got the same deal on Begonias! What a steal! It was all I could do not to buy lots more. I'm going to try to overwinter mine in the greenhouse. I've not been into begonias before, so it's a new adventure. But I really love the foliage on these babies! Here a photo of a little froggy, morphed right in my own pond, posing on the begonia as I was doing some planting. I almost didn't see the little guy! Aren't the colors glorious>?
Ivy and Pirl, sad to hear about your lilies! You should give them another go! B&D Lilies has on-line specials, etc and they sell only excellent quality bulbs. I highly recommend their stock. My hummers like the lilies, but they prefer the croscosmia. You are in colder climates than me, but I know that if I lose lilies it's likely to be because of drainage. They rot so easily.

Judy, beautiful shot of the butterfly! I'm never quick enough with the camera to get a shot like that. Glad you liked the combination. I can't wait until the plants fill in a bit.

Thumbnail by
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Pixydish - How cute - love that photo!!!!! Is that a tree frog? Judy

Providence Forge, VA

Oh my gosh, this thread is such an inspiration to a newbie gardener such as me! My two favorites so far are the spiderweb like diamonds, and the deep burnt orange (sunflower?) with the brown butterfly on it. Can I post a picture or two also? The first one is purslane 'Yubi Summer Joy Apricot' with Pat Austin rose.

Thumbnail by bobkat13
Providence Forge, VA

And this other picture just really really pleases me for some reason. I don't know if you call it a color echo or not, though. It's Mexican Evening Primrose next to Ebony Knight Mondo Grass, and I just love looking at the grass seedheads next to the flower!

Thumbnail by bobkat13
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Pixydish- Well, I went to order some tulips for my MIL, and bought a few lilies at Brent and Becky's for myself. I only got 5 each of Muscadet, Acapulco, Stargazer and Mona Lisa. It won't be as vivid as the last bunch, because I 've left out the really exotic colors, like orange, yellow, and deep red, but then I found some deep dark pinky-red ones called Black Beauty that are down turned. I don't know what type they are. They are not listed as Turk's cap, but they look like them. Anyway, now I will check out B&D! My DH will be upset. I haven't bought any plants for a month. I was doing so well!

Bobkat- I love those seedheads! I also love that color combination of the DA Rose with the beautiful purslane! I have an apricot themed garden that needs some more plants!

This message was edited Aug 10, 2005 12:26 PM

Ivy - people only get upset about what they know. If he didn't know that his dear uncle Patrick Houlihan died then he wouldn't get upset. If you don't say a word and just look at them next year and exclaim: "Oh honey - look - they came back", he'll never know and won't be upset. Now if they've moved across the yard you'll have to give credit to the birds and we'll all keep your secret.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks Pirl! Great idea! DH doesn't understand the addiction! I was only going to buy one tree this fall, but I now realize that I have to get the bulbs- Lilies, Iris, etc, in now. I want those hummingbirds back!

BTW- I have a nice color tryptych in the backyard- Empire Blue Buddleia, Unknown Rose of Sharon, and Gibraltar Lespedeza (Bush Clover) all blooming right now. Have to snap a pic later.

DH here encourages the addiction! What a guy!!!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Pirl, I thought your DH was your addiction??!! LOL

Dare I say "when it's raining"? Yes, he's always my honey and always my addiction but second in line is gardening.

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/536377/

color echoes inspired round robin.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Great idea, naien! I don't understand how round robins work and can't grow seeds 'cause I'm too inept, but it sounds exciting for those who have some garden 'talent'! Know you'll get lots of interest!

I was out looking at our garden today and was a little encouraged by the late season bloomers coming on. Do have some liatris ligularis blooming and wish I had planted more. Have purple lantanas blooming with it and it's rather pretty in a 'cottage-y' sort of way with the shastas. The monarchs alighting on them steal the show, though.

Got my new 'Horticulture' magazine and they featured some nice color combinations this month, but our pics were better!..

happy gardening.

:-) t.

Judy - yep, it's a little baby tree frog! Hope it sticks around for next spring!
Love the photos on this thread! Such excellent ideas for next year all around!
Ivy, glad you got those lilies! I think I bought some Black Beauty from B&D lilies, but they aren't blooming yet. Should be soon, if I'm right about which ones they are! LOL
I agree with Pirl about staying mum about some things. Now (hands on hips as I say this one...and I'm tapping my right toe like Miss Smarty) I got in trouble on another thread when I advised a new gardener to pull the old bait and switch routine with her DH who didn't understand her need for plants. But really, if he enjoys seeing the blooms and thinks they're pretty, but can't tell a lily from a tulip,then why stress him out? I believe I am in good company when I say just rely on the mystery and magic of gardening and tell him you just don't know why they finally came back from the dead! He'll be happy, and so will you!
You were going to buy only 1 tree this fall? If you are serious about that, you are much more restrained than I am and I bow to your superior self control. LOL I go to the nursery to buy one tree, and come home with a carload of other stuff, too! I know you know what I mean!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I am serious! I just don't know if it will last!

I was supposed to get 4 cherry trees this spring but something happened to my order and when I called up they didn't have any more. I can't get them till spring. I told hubby I would try to control myself, and for once I will. His job situation is a little tenuous right now,( he didn't get laid off but others did) so I really have to be good.

I was talking to a friend today about my budget ($1000.00/ year) and his budget FOR me ($200.00/year). We laughed about it, but soon I won't have to spend so much, because I will have actually landscaped the whole yard! Hmmm.... Maybe once all the plants are in , I can get that fountain I've been wanting.....

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, again, Color Echoers Anonymous,

Since this thread is so long we have opened a new one in honor of the 'dog days of summer' http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/536597/

Hate to put these threads to bed since they are so full of great pics and good information, but in the interest of EZ access, a new one seems to be in order...

See you up there, with some pics of my garden today. (finally got my camera fixed)...

Ta ta for now! t.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Pirl: I finally had the plant IDd in the picture I posted on Julu 24, 2005 at
9:58 AM. It is a balsam plant. Now some more are growing up with a flower that it not multicolored - it is all one light purple color.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.