'Color Echoes' Part III: Pics from your Garden

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Lincolnitess - Love your collage of purple daylilies, they must look great all along your front strip. Yes, I agree that it's difficult to photograph a larger area and still get the effect that the eye sees, especially for colour echoes. I really like that Wilson Spider. I just bought my first spiders this year. All American Windmill and Gold Spider.

Bareroots - Wow, the purple spiderwort and the gazania are amazing partners. Must make a note of that one.

A few more pics from yesterday:
This is Ajuga 'Burgundy Glow' under a Purple Sandcherry shrub.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Rust-coloured seedheads of Rogersia aesculifolia draped over that same friendship candle that I posted previously with Heuchera 'Marmalade'. http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1592458

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A simple pink echo in a tree stump. Pink impatiens with a coleus I've overwintered for a few years now but have forgotten the name. (Does anyone recognize it?)

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

This photo was taken at our local park - Cleome and Cosmos.

Thumbnail by sanannie
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

These photos are so super! The tree stump is lovely!

Sanannie: I also use Burgundy Glow in many spots. Don't you find it odd that there's a darker ajuga called Silver Brocade and that one sounds likeit should be the one in your photo? I didn't make myself clear.

Burgundy Glow sounds like it should be dark.
Silver Brocade sounds like it should be light.

Right? Wrong?

Sounds like I need a break!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

sannanie isn't that marilla perilla?

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

pirl - I'm not familiar with that new ajuga - I haven't seen it yet. The latest one I bought was the tiny Chocolate Chip. But I agree with your comment on the names. They can be confusing sometimes.

vossner - I always thought it was a coleus but it certainly could be magilla perilla...I'll double check.

sanannie: I have spots where both ajugas are mingling and will try to go out and take a picture so you'll see it. I love ajugas and they're one of the most popular plants people ask me for: I'm always happy to share it.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I am glad someone brought up aguja. I thought I had Cho. Chip, but I think the leaf is to large. I have moved it around, everywhere. It grows like a weed. I have found some about 30 ft away from the flower bed in the yard. I have tried one that had huge leaves, it didn't come back after the winter.
How many varieties does it come in?

I posted at 8:20 and went slightly insane with two photo programs, ran in an out taking more photos, and can finally present a photo showing both of the ajugas! Persistence does pay off.

The lighter leaves are Burgundy Glow.

The darker leaves are Silver Brocade.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I love the Silver Brocade! Mine looks like the other one, does it bloom a purplish color? I guess they all do?

Yes, Teresa, same blue springtime flower!

When I was widening a path, in sheer panic, the morning of the tour, I must have thrown out at least $100.00 worth of them. Remind me the next time we trade! Right now I don't have time to do more than we have scheduled and tomato season (and string beans and beets) are coming in with the cucumbers, etc.

They died on their way to Pakistan so we'd have to do 2 day delivery.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

pirl - yes, I see what you mean...with a name like 'silver brocade' you'd think that it would have some white or cream on it!

bluegrass - I'm guessing that the ajuga you are talking about is ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea'. It was very invasive for me too and escaped into my lawn, which I'm still trying to eradicate. I know there's quite a few varieties and I've only tried three. But so far for me, the Burgundy Glow and the Chocolate Chip are behaving where they are.

Here's a pic of the invasive 'Atropurpurea' in my lawn which might help you identify it. (P.S. a rosette on 'Choc. Chip' is about half this size and the leaves are much narrower)

Thumbnail by sanannie

there are several. there is one called ajuga pyramidalis something. dark color, same shape leaf but the texture is very very glossy and leaves are thicker than regular ajuga. this one is hard to find and pricey. I bought one and I did not come back for me, but I'd like to get it again.

The variegated with white in it has never done well for me. dont know why. not nearly as vigorous as a. reptans atropurpurea.

The 'Atropurpurea' and the 'Silver Brocade' have the same habits, it seems. I pulled out a ton for a friend and her husband planted, perhaps 10 of 100! Can you hear me screaming? I had saved them the best!

Burgundy Glow is much better behaved but does not having the glossy sheen I enjoy so much with Silver Brocade.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

A few years ago I had read about a "Giant" variety, but I just can't remember the name. Haven't seen it listed in the catalogs lately either. Wait... Caitlin's Giant?

By giant, I mean maybe 6 inches instead of 3.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2005 5:54 PM

that is correct. I love that one; has done well for me.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

'Caitlin's Giant' is right Ivy1. The darn blue flower "spikes" on that plant got over 8 inches tall this year, its second in my garden. It was so cool, we went out every morn. and looked at it, my daughter & I, and it was a bit taller every day. She started measuring it, and it finally stopped at a tad over 8inches...just a really neat Ajuga!! I can't find a pic, and I know we took some....I'll keep looking!!

Great pics sannanie, pirl, bareroots, lincolnitess....and everyone else....I am so glad you guys still have such great pics...my garden is definitely slowing down in the heat....so I am thoroughly enjoying all the great pics to keep my spirits up!! :-)

Jamie
** An echo from the Rock Garden earlier this year. The yellow flowers on the sedum bring out the golden foliage on the Campanula and I like the Lewisias pink flowers with the pink & white flowers on Helianthemum 'Raspberry Ripple'...I miss the rock garden...:-)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Jamie, does the campanula stay as small in the picture? What is the cultivar name? It looks like my Huerchera 'Lime Rickey' in color. Linda

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Linda ~
It is 'Dickson's Gold', and it doesn't get much bigger....spreads a bit after flowering is done...but still a nice, mounded clump....really a great Campanula. It is very similar to 'Lime Rickey' in color, a tad more gold though.

Have you tried Heuchera 'Dolce Key Lime Pie"?? Very much like 'Lime Rickey' as well, and can take more sun here in my garden.....
Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Jamie- What is the foliage over on the right next to the Lewisia and Helianthemum? It looks like tiny Columbine leaves and seems to pick up a little light green in the center of each leaf, echoing the Campanula.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is a green and white hosta on the bottom, ferns and then spotted leopard Ligularia as you go up the hill. This was taken in the shade. The spots on the Ligularia make it look as if the sun is filtering through the trees onto them. It's a great idea for a shady place that needs some picking up.

Thumbnail by doss

Well now: if that isn't a piece of heaven then I don't know what is! Glorious. You're right on with the Ligularia. It's divine.

I adore ligularia. but it sure is slow in my area. no matter, still luv it. beautiful display, doss. sincerely, voss (hee hee)

Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

Jamie, i have not purchased Heuchera 'Dolce Key Lime Pie" since they are so close in color. I am looking at H. 'Carmel' now. Catbirdsue sent me 'Snow Angel'. I have been wanting one. Hopefully, they won't discover any new cultivars so I can be content with what I have. Ha!!

I will have to look for C. 'Dickson's Gold'.

I bought a Lewisia after hearing you talk about them on another thread. Mine is doing fine. I placed some pebbles under the root and appears to be growing at a slow rate of speed. Linda

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Vossner - what kind of ligularia do you have and how much shade is it getting and how hot is it's planting area? This Spotted Leopard gets no direct sun and there is even one that grows in deep shade. I have some other crested ligularia and it gets more sun - as it says it should but it's not as happy. I should move it. I just think that in zone 9 it really appreciates a cool shady spot. And of course, the best dirt that you can afford.

Voss, I have the leopared and the crested. both in the shadiest areas of my garden, no direct sun at all and planted in good amended soil, as my natural soil is that horrible clay that you can ball up and break someone's skull with. I keep them moist but have to watch my heavy hand as they can rot when overdone. I've been told that after a couple of years they toughen up and growth rate speeds up, we'll see. just a year old for me.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine have been in the ground a couple of years. You'll love them when they get big.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

RDT ~

Lewisias do tend to start pretty slow, but once those roots have given the plant a firm start....they really do tend to flower pretty quickly. Of course mine were planted in Spring, it will be interesting to see what they do for you this time of year. Did you give it a collar of gravel around the crown as well?? That has helped me with mine a lot!! They really hate getting wet from above...but in winter it rains here for months, so I use a fairly thick collar of gravel, as well as in the planting hole, and at the base of the hole - gravel-gravel everywhere...LOL :-)

Let me know how your Lewisia does! Do you have pictures??
Jamie
**Lewisia 'Little Plum' in bud, and just starting to bloom this past spring...:o)

Thumbnail by jamie68
Crossville, TN(Zone 6b)

I have Lewisia 'Little Plum'. When I bought it locally I talked to someone about this plant and she confirmed what you said. I only put pebbles around the crown and placed it with my other dry tolerant plants.
One day I hope to start a rock garden and buy some of the plants you mentioned in another forum.
I have learned a lot from my fellow gardeners at Dave's.
Linda

Doss/Dorothie makes everything she talks about sound so tempting and her pictures are so good, that I want to start changing things. Then I open the door and the heat hits me and I feel I can wait awhile!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Pirl has threatened me with 'hot nickle dents' if I didn't post this pic, so here it is. Hope you like it. :)

DL Respighi with Coleus

Thumbnail by Moby

I love it Moby: no hot nickles for you!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Whew!

OMG! that takes my breath away

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

The purple is echoed in the coleus
The creamy eyezone is echoed in the coleus
The green throat is echoed in the coleus
Wow!

Pirl - thanks for making Moby post this pic!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wonderful combination Moby! Sun coleus and daylilies seem to be made for one another.

Susan

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

RDT, I may be visting my TN sister soon, any good nurseries that you would suggest? I am looking for Carmel coral bells and most any other pretty perennial that I don't have. I wandered back home through Portland,TN the last vist, they have a couple of really nice nurseries.
Teresa

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

What coleus is that, Moby? I want that echo everywhere in my garden!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like to know also, they have developed so many new ones. I have a couple of King Kongs in with a mixed bed of hosta.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.