Your favorite tomato color? (And which variety?)

There are a total of 343 votes:

Red
(230 votes, 67%)
Red dot

Pink-to-red
(34 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Bicolor or striped
(25 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Gold or orange
(26 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Green
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

White
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Other?
(19 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I only voted on what I had grown and so far I love the blacks! Not only is the taste great my Black Pear is a PL and I've really enjoyed learning more about them as well as watching them grow (and thrive) when my RL's didn't.

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

I voted Pink to Red

I looooove the old Brandywine strain & JetStar the mostest ........

Last year I tried some Black Russian tomatoes.

DH didn't care for the way they looked but the fruity flavor was very good.

I may just need to try them again. Could be interesting in fresh Salsa.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 9:57 AM

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Going to go look up tomatoes LOL...I have only seen red tomatoes in my lifetime LOL...unless there unripe, green or black from fungi lol!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I like pink to red also orange to yellow, too...

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Is there an edible color OTHER than red?? lol

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

here here mkjones

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

lol here here too!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Have 5 different kinds this year. Still prefer the large lumpy Prudens Purple (Pink) to red tomato. Like to have one slice make a sandwich.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

I probably shouldn't count, because I'm not a fan of raw tomatoes on their own, so the fact that I'll happily pop a spare Sungold in my mouth is a big deal for me. But every person I've given tomatoes to has raved about the Sungolds and made me feel like a genius gardener for producing them. That's pretty addictive in itself.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

An heirloom Pineapple Tomato.....the most unbelievable flavor and aroma. They are so good fresh that I've never even had one cooked.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

RED. I found a great little tomato called Santiam for our climate and I also discovered Juliet last summer with great flavor.

Seward, AK

dawnsharon, I'm with you, tried Sungold and found them the sweetest I've ever tasted and I've tried about 130 varieties. (One year I was experimenting.)

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

I really like the Sudduth Brandywine but I like my absolute favorite is Cherokee Purple. interesting smoky winey flavor. Also my 9 yo';s fav..
This year I am growing four colors of cherry tomatoes that I have heard good things about.. have to have the basic Sweet Mills but also am trying Sungold, Green Grape and Black Cherry.. should make some interesting salads

Juliets are so sweet, I pick them off the plant and eat them like candy. It's been so darn hot here though, some of them are the size of plum tomatoes this year.

(Zone 8b)

My very favoutite variety is one called 'Gardeners Delight". Small round fruits, very sweet, but a little larger than a cherry tomato.
Yum!

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Tumbler cherry tomatos. Got my seeds from Nichols this year. Great crop and yummy too!

Yonkers, NY(Zone 5b)

Dawnsharon - I'm on the same page as you. LOVE those SunGolds! I can scarf down a bowl of them without blinking an eye. Sometimes they don't even make it into the house! I pick 'em & eat 'em.
The reason I like them is because they don't taste like tomatoes! LOL!
I like tomato sauce, ketchup, etc. But raw tomatoes... nope.

Sun Golds are like big orange grapes.

Nancy

Thumbnail by gabagoo
Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Sweet ones??

Seward, AK

Arness, PL and RL?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Red, Tomatoes are red. If pink were good, the ones you get in a restraunt would taste like a tomato! LOL!
I like the Buffalos. They are a little on the orange side. I like sugar on sliced tomatoes, you don't need it on these. You won't find them in a garden catalog, as they are for greenhouse growing. Seeds are expensive also.
The larger ones are Buffalo & rest are Clustre Grande.
Bernie

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 4:28 PM

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Potato leaf and Regular Leaf.

Castro Valley, CA(Zone 9a)

Any and all will do, as long as they are fresh picked and sweet!!!! YUM,
Annie

araness ............ lol

I just bet you only like 2 kinds of pie also ?

One crust pies and double crust pies ??

LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I'll take the pies! Somebody in Market Growers Forum had a recipe for tomato pie last year.
Bernie

bernie .... youre makin me hongry ! Stop that ! lol

Circle Pines, MN(Zone 4b)

Love them Brandywines! I didn't get but one or two last year because we had such a cool summer, but my babies are doing gangbusters this year! Can't wait for that first REAL BLT of the summer, with the tomato juice dripping down my chin...

I wrote this on another site , so I can copy it without the cyber-cops coming after me ... *giggles*

.............~ ~ ~ When Your First Tomato Is Ready ~ ~ ~

as soon as you bite into your own tomato grown by yourself in your own garden.

Just you wait ......... ummmmm ,yummy !

The pop of the tender skin on that red ripe tomato as you gently bite into it .

So fresh picked off the vine and while standing in the tomato patch you feel the juice

warmed by the sun running down your chin that is just beneath that big cheshire cat-like grin on your face.

All the while your barefoot toes wiggle with joy in the soft black earth. "

hows tha t for a run on words ?

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 5:02 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm a bi-color fan...the striking patterns are lovely and they have a creamy, mild flavor with high sugar content. They usually need a long growing season the mature fully and develop their flavor...many are 80-100 day tomatoes, but well worth the wait.

Cherokee Purple is another favorite..great for fresh eating, and makes heavenly sauce.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I couldn't vote. I have never had anything but red before, but this year I am trying some new ones - golds, blacks, purples....... so I might vote on this, say in late August, lol!

Glassboro, NJ(Zone 7a)

We went with RED as well -- some of those others just don't seem to have the flavor and firm texture of a good ole' "Jersey Tomato" like we have all around us here. Next to red would be green -- fried green tomatos and pickled tomatos are great, too.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

Grape tomatoes--the best thing since sliced bread!

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

Now we talkin' morrowsmowers! Yummmy! I had so many tomatoes (red) one's (18 bushes) I had to freeze some and fry some up already! Then came the rains....and it rained and it rained...all fell over, turtles ate the one's on the ground and weeds took over...it was a sad day!

It will be better planned next year!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Celebrity, Beef Master, Big Boy and sweet 100's. My DH grows tomatoes for our own garden and for several neighbors. One neighbor doesn't want the plants: says it's more fun to come over and steal them at 5 AM so we have to tell him where each of the plants are so he gets what he wants! In return he gives us the leftovers when we leave his lobster party: July 3rd it was 3 1/2 lobsters. Good deal!

Harlem, GA(Zone 8a)

I'd say that's a Great swap out! Yummy, I love lobster!!

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

Said Red - Grape tomatoes are prob my favorite. Growing many dif kinds this yr, and next yr, will be even more kinds, esp after the tomato RR!!

There is a tomato pie recipe now - think it was on BassettMom's thread. Planning to try it too, if we can get rid of any of this heat when I have some tomatoes to spare... ~ Suzi ♥

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I voted red because they are my favorites. Sheyenne in particular. But I also like some pinks, oranges, and yellows. Not real keen on the greens though.

And the blacks? Ptewy! I have not found a black that didn't taste like dirt. I do not like black tomatoes.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2005 10:35 PM

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

I like those cherry-sized little pear-shaped yellow tom-toms... are those what y'alls calling "sungold"?

I have never grown them, though. Last year grew a couple salad-size red tomatoes in large rubbermaid containers; they were good but maybe not rave-able, and I forget the names anyhoo. This year I missed the tomato (plant) sale at the Arboreteum, and so decided I would take a year off from watering and fighting hornworms!

My aunt, the organic farmer, grows many heirloom tomatoes of the odd colors and streaks; some are very tasty (again, can't remember names) and fun to make a very lightly stir-fried dish with Israeli couscous or the tiny pasta that looks the same (batting zero on names today!) and fresh basil/oregano/etc -- so pretty! Like eating confetti!

~'spin!~

saugatuck, MI(Zone 6a)

RED--grow early girl here (90 day growing season), lucky to get one picking a year, about to go pick my first one today 7-19-05.

also fond of sweet 100. prolific yield.

have 8 plants in this year, just for myself. i need more space to double that at least. i grow to eat fresh, of course, but need more plants so i can freeze more for winter soups and sauces.

have tried romas and brandywines here but season too short and weather too variable for good yields. i grow so i have food to eat, so hobby-tomatoes are a luxury i can't indulge anymore...unless i can score alot more space LOL!!!

Temecula, CA(Zone 8b)

Caspian Pink.....yum!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.