Texas Native Plant Pictures ( Shrubs )

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Day Jessamine, Willow Jasmine, Wild Jasmine, Hierba Santa, White Day-Blooming Cestrum and White Chocolate Jasmine (Cestrum diurnum), Solanaceae Family, naturalized, evergreen, blooms in summer, fragrant, considered invasive in Florida, poisonous to cattle and horses, fruit are poisonous

In Texas, its natural habitat is in the Edwards Plateau region. It is considered a “serious threat” to natural areas in south Florida and can form dense thickets. It is most commonly found in dry soils, but benefits from even moisture. Although it will take full sun, it grows best in part shade. It is supposed to be hardy to Zone 8. One inch, tubular, white, fragrant blooms appear in clusters in the summer. The bloom petals are bent backwards. The blooms are mildly fragrant and the fragrance intensifies in the late evening and after dark.

For more information, see its entry in the PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2742/index.html

The plant ...Photo courtesy of TopTropicals.com:

This message was edited Aug 10, 2005 1:52 PM

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Day Jessamine, Willow Jasmine, Wild Jasmine, Hierba Santa, White Day-Blooming Cestrum and White Chocolate Jasmine (Cestrum diurnum)

The blooms ... Photo courtesy of TopTropicals.com:

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Day Jessamine, Willow Jasmine, Wild Jasmine, Hierba Santa, White Day-Blooming Cestrum and White Chocolate Jasmine (Cestrum diurnum)

The fruit ... Photo courtesy of TopTropicals.com:

Thumbnail by htop
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

( Native ) Dog Fennel, ( Eupatorium capillifolium ) A lovely feathery perennial for the native and xeriscape garden.
See plant files, http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54505/index.html

Thumbnail by frostweed

A close up of the beautiful foliage.

Thumbnail by frostweed

( Native ) Smooth Sumac, ( Rhus glabra ) A lovely hardy shrub that turns gorgeous colors in the Fall.
See plant files, http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/76677/

Thumbnail by frostweed
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Texas Kidneywood (Eysenhardtia texana), Papilionaceae Family, Texas native (found in northeastern Mexico also), pereenial shrub or small tree, deciduous to semideciduous, blooms April through November (more so after rains)

The aromatic, finely divided (even-pinnate, 8 to 14 elliptical leaflets), grayish green, resinous leaves have a distinctive odor when crushed. From April to November, the small white vanilla-scented flowers appear on 3 to 4 inches long, dense, terminal spikes. The Texas kidneywood's seeds are produced inside seed pods which are somewhat persistent.

It is a relative of kidneywood E. polystacha which was used in remedies for kidney and bladder ailments; thus, its name. Texas kidneywood is a host plant for the Arizona Skipper butterfly (Codatractus arizonensis). Because it requires very little water once established, it is a good choice for xeriscapes, wildscapes and as a backdrop in rock gardens.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58705/index.html

It has delicate foliage and blooms ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Four O'Clock, Marvel of Peru (Mirabilis jalapa), Nyctaginaceae Family, naturalized, perennial, can be invasive

I love these plants and remove the ones that are in areas I don't want them to grow when they are small.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/92/index.html

Cheery yellow blooms appear abundantly despite the August heat ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Four O'Clock, Marvel of Peru (Mirabilis jalapa)

A magenta colored bloom backlit by the setting sun ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Four O'Clock, Marvel of Peru (Mirabilis jalapa)

These red, yellow, magenta and broken colored blooms on different plants which form a huge clump.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

White Flowered Bush Zinnia (Zinnia acerosa), Asteraceae Family, Texas native, perennial, subshrub/shrub, evergreen, blloms late spring to early fall

The white flowered bush zinnia is also known as desert zinnia, spinyleaf zinnia, dwarf zinnia, wild zinnia and white zinnia. It is deer resistant. In Texas, it can be found in the Trans-Pecos, Southwest Rio Grand Plains and into the Valley regions. Soil pH should be acidic with a pH above 6.8. It has slender woolly stems and needle-like, 1/2" long, narrow, stiff, grayish-green leaves that have sharp tips. The number of bloom petals varies.

It grows 10 to 12 inches tall and to 2 feet in diameter which makes it a great groundcover. Requiring minimum care, the desert zinnia is useful in harsh arid environments. It is very drought tolerant and will survive with no supplemental water, but wll look a bit ragged and has fewer blooms. It will need a little water to grow to its optimum beauty and produce blooms prolifically. An occasional watering with a hose will suffice if it hasn't rained in a while. Soils must be well-drained soils. Itt makes a great xeriscape, rock garden or wildscape plant.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/53451/index.html

This message was edited Sep 10, 2005 9:15 AM

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Bush Morning Glory, Morning Glory Tree, Badoh Negro, Borrachero, Matacabra (Ipomoea carnea), Convolvulaceae Family, naturalized, perennial

This plant has an open, some would say sprawling, growth habit, and needs planty of space. Its blooms are in clusters and are very showy. The seedpods which are "hairy" add interest to the plant. It used to be grown widely in San Antonio many years ago, but I have seen only a few plants here in recent years. I have found sites that state that an extract of the leaves causes intoxication and the smoked leaves are a hallucinogen. The seeds are the most potently poisonous of all the Ipomoea species. It is considered invasive in some locales, but I am going to plant a few by my fence in my native plant area. Rest assured that I am not going to brew a tea to become drunk nor smoke the leaves.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/52996/index.html

The bloom on this bush morning glory has a defined darker hued star shape radiating from the center. It was still blooming in December.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Bush Morning Glory, Morning Glory Tree, Badoh Negro, Borrachero, Matacabra (Ipomoea carnea)

The Ipomoea carnaea seedpod resembles a wooden rose when open and contains 3 to 4 furry covered seeds. These clusters of seedpods add to the attractiveness of the plant.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Lantana (Lantana camara), Verbenaceae Family, Texas native, perennial, shrub/ subshrub

There are many varieties of this plant with all kinds of bloom colors. This is the native lantana that does produce seeds and can be invasive; but, I have never had a problem with them. I love the plant and like its odor; although, some people find it objectionable. Lantanas are one of my best butterfly plants. PLEASE NOTE: ALL PARTS of this plant are POISONOUS if eaten and can be FATAL. This plant causes dermatitis in some individuals (for example: Me!). Be sure to wash your hands (arms and/or other body parts if applicable) after handling.

For more information, see its entry in the PlantFiles (Note: I think that some of the lantanas shown in the photos are hybrids):
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/578/index.html

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Weeping Lantana, Trailing Lantana, Trailing Shrub Verbena (Lantana montevidensis), Verbenaceae Family, naturalized, perennial, shrub/subshrub

This trailing purple blooming lantana is a lower growing type of lantana. It blooms prolifically and takes no care except trimming to the ground if it freezes back. It would maake an excellent addtion to any landscape area that receives full sun, xeriscapes, wildscapes and rock gardens. It especially looks great trailing down rock walls. I have seen it planted right next to chainlink fences which support its branches. Its branches "climb" up the links and it almost looks like a vine. Butterflies love it. It can easily be propagated by stem cuttings and/or simple layering.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2042/index.html

My trailing purple lantana is more delicate looking than the other lantana in my landscape. It has smaller leaves and thinner branches.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Rose Glory Bower, Cashmere Bouquet, Mexicali Rose, Mexican Hydrangea (Clerodendrum bungei), Verbenaceae Family, naturalized, perennial, highly invasive, needs part shade and lots of water in the summer heat, deer resistant, blooms in summer

This plant's blooms are beautiful; but, it can take over your yard very quickly. It sends out underground runners. Mine is growing in a large container and sits upon a stand so that no roots are able to touch the ground. In the hottest part of the summer, I have to water it every other day. My neighbor and I bought specimens at about the same time. I informed him not to plant it in the ground because I had observed it growing in a yard in another neighborhood where it had spread so much, it looked like a cashmere bouquet forest. He did not listen. By the end of the first summer, the whole side of his yard had plants springing up everywhere.

Form ore information and photos of the blooms, etc., see its entry in the PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1253/index.html

Buds just starting to open ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Eastern Baccharis, Groundsel, Sea Myrtle, Consumption Weed, Groundsel-bush, Seepwillow (Baccharis halimifolia), Asteraceae Family, Texas native, perennial, large shrub/small tree, called a weed by many

This plant blooms in late summer. The female has white snowy blooms and the male has yellowish blooms. It looks as though it is covered with snow in September and October as the seeds are formed and it becomes a quite attractive "weed".

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/59928/index.html

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Eastern Baccharis, Groundsel, Sea Myrtle, Consumption Weed, Groundsel-bush, Seepwillow (Baccharis halimifolia)

A view of the seeds ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Candle Bush, Empress Candle Plant, Candletree, Candelabra Bush, Ringworm Tree (Senna alata), Caesalpiniaceae Family, Texas native, perennial, large shrub or small tree, blooms mid-summer through early fall

Candle bush has beautiful foliage and blooms. It requires a large space in which to grow, is drought tolerant and is a butterfly catepillar host plant. Bumble bees love the blooms.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/371/index.html

Although the blooms are huge, they look small in the photo because the foliage is so large.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Candle Bush, Empress Candle Plant, Candletree, Candelabra Bush, Ringworm Tree (Senna alata)

You need to give this plant plenty of room to grow.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Scarlet Firethorn (Pyracantha coccinea), Rosaceae Family, naturalized, evergreen, blooms in mid-spring through late spring, thorns

Scarlet firethorn is a great evergreen shrub that can become quite large. I had to remove mine because they became too large for the spots where I had planted them. They are very difficult to remove. The berries provide food for many types of birds in the fall and early winter (most of the berries are eaten by this time).

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1707/index.html

Habit, colors of the berries did not upload well ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Scarlet Firethorn (Pyracantha coccinea)

Berries ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Oleander (Nerium oleander), Apocynaceae Family, naturalized, perennial, evergreen, highly drought tolerant, deer resistant, poisonous and sap can cause skin irritation in some people

The oleander is a very tough plant that takes no care once established. It can become very large. I have to trim my back in the middle of the summer every other year. This causes it to not bloom the rest of the summer because it blooms on the old wood (trimming earlier or later in the year will cause it to not produce any blooms). The leaves can be burned by heavy frost and in severe winters, it can die to the ground in Zone 8b.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1327/index.html

Thumbnail by htop

Native, Lindheimer Senna, Senna Lindheimerii. A lovely shrub with yellow flowers found at Fort Worth Botanic Gardens.

Thumbnail by frostweed
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Prairie Flameleaf Sumac (Rhus lanceolata), Anacardiaceae Family, deciduous, blooms in mid-summer, fruit in late summer through fall

Cross-referenced in the Texas Native Plant Pictures ( Trees ) thread because it is considered a large shrub or small tree.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/73366/index.html

Photographed in Blanco, Texas.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Chaparral Beargrass, Chaparral Bear Grass, Chaparral Nolina, Beargrass, Bear Grass (Nolina micrantha), Liliaceae Family, endemic Texas native, perennial, evergreen, subshrub/shrub, blooms in summer

Nolina micrantha may be used as a groundcover to decrease erosion on slopes and in cactus and rock gardens as well as xeriscapes and wildscapes. It sends up several beautiful branched infloresences in the summer.

Native range:
http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/cgi/vpt_map_name?reg=7,10&name=%3Ci%3ENolina+micrantha%3C/i%3E+I.M.+Johnst.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/112980/index.html

A Nolina micrantha surviving a drought ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Chaparral Beargrass, Chaparral Bear Grass, Chaparral Nolina, Beargrass, Bear Grass (Nolina micrantha

OOOPS!! My mistake, this photo is not (Nolina micrantha). It is Nolina texana which is decribed further down in the list.
See Post #3273723

This message was edited Mar 12, 2007 1:18 PM

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Buttonbush, Honey Bells, Honeyball, Button Willow (Cephalanthus occidentalis), Rubiaceae Family, Texas native, perennial, deciduous, large shrub or small tree, blooms in mid-summer, needs regular water to abundant water

This is an upright multiple branching shrub which produces long-stalked, up to 1.5 inches wide, fragrant, sperical-shaped flowerheads that are composed of tiny blooms that have long projecting styles. Butterflies and bees love the flowerheads.

It can be found in wet open areas, river bottomland, stream margins, pond margins, wetland woods, thickets, swamps, shallow standing water and sink-hole ponds. It can be used in woodland areas, wildscapes (needs plenty of water), pond margins, at the edge of ponds, at the edge of water gardens, in low spots or shrub borders.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1515/

The blooms are followed by hard, dark brown, spherical, ball-like fruits composed of multiple tiny nutlets each of which contain 2 seeds. The fruit mature in late summer through fall and persist through the winter.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Buttonbush, Honey Bells, Honeyball, Button Willow (Cephalanthus occidentalis)

Fruit at different stages of maturity ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Buttonbush, Honey Bells, Honeyball, Button Willow (Cephalanthus occidentalis)

The bark is thin and smooth on young stems; but, it becomes fissured and scaly with age. Branches ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Bush Morning Glory, Morning Glory Tree, Badoh Negro, Borrachero, Matacabra (Ipomoea carnea), Convolvulaceae Family, naturalized, perennial

I had never seen the white blooming bush morning glory plan until quite a few were planted at the entry way to the San Antonio Botanical Garden this past summer ...
(See information above listed for the pink or pale lavender blooming bush morning glory)

The blooms ...

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

The seed pods (seedpods) ...

Thumbnail by htop
NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

This is a salvia that is also a woody shrub plant. It grows in warmer areas of Texas, including southern areas of the Hill Country. Also known as Mejorana.The light blue flowers are small and you might miss noticing them unless you're close. The foliage and flowers have a pleasant fragrance.

Thumbnail by LindaTX8
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

American Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) blooms of pale pink.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

American Beautyberry (Callicarpa americana) growth habit in spring before branches fall under the weight of berries. Clearly a very large shrub (up to roof-line, one story house) and very drought tolerant once established.

Thumbnail by dmj1218
New Caney, TX(Zone 8b)

Hercules Club
Zanthoxylum clava-herculis
Huge conical thorns on the trunk
Larval plant food of the Swallowtail butterfly
Often found as an understory tree in creek woodlands
Deciduous
Bloom is yellow green clusters in early spring
This one is in the Pineywoods of South East Texas

Thumbnail by princessnonie

Great picture, did you put in the plant files also?

New Caney, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks,

Not yet, but I will..

New Caney, TX(Zone 8b)

Drupe on Arrowwood Viburnam
Viburnnum dentatum

Thumbnail by princessnonie
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

This year, I have noticed 2 yaupon holly trees with huge berries - larger than a cherry. The berries are not clustered, but hang on the plants like Christmas ornaments. One neighbor has been feeding them to the deer. I have never seen berries this large in my 20+ years of observing yaupons. Am I seeing something new, or do I need new glasses?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.