Texas Native Plant Pictures ( Shrubs )

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hope your daughter gets better... We understand Hazel.

One of these days we will be able to do the rounds with you.

:-)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Deb.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Night Blooming Jasmine, Night Scented Jessamine, Queen of the Night (Cestrum nocturnum), Solanaceae Family, naturalized, tender perennial, evergreen in areas with no hard freezes (dies to ground and returns in spring in colder zones), fragrant blooms from mid-summer through early fall

Texas distribution:
http://plants.usda.gov/java/county?state_name=Texas&statefips=48&symbol=CENO

For more information, see its entry in the PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2128/

Blooms ... Photo courtesy of Forest and Kim Starr. Kula, Maui, Hawaii. June 21, 2007

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Night Blooming Jasmine, Night Scented Jessamine, Queen of the Night (Cestrum nocturnum)

Fruit ... Photo courtesy of Forest & Kim Starr. Makawao, Maui, Hawaii. September 16, 2006.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Night Blooming Jasmine, Night Scented Jessamine, Queen of the Night (Cestrum nocturnum)

Fruit ... Photo courtesy of Forest & Kim Starr. Makawao, Maui, Hawaii. September 16, 2006.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Fruit ... Photo (cropped by htop) courtesy of Forest & Kim Starr. Makawao, Maui, Hawaii. September 16, 2006.

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Leaves ... Photo courtesy of Forest and Kim Starr. Kula Ace Hardware and Nursery, Maui, Hawaii. September 06, 2007

Thumbnail by htop
San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Damianita daisy (Chrysactinia mexicana)
Subshrub

I planted these from 4 inch pots in the Spring of 2010 in full-sun on a slope with western (lots of afternoon sun) exposure and they have thrived through several extremely dry summers with very little supplemental watering.

They are low-growing (about 1') and spread out to maybe 2' across. They bloom profusely in early March with lovely yellow blossoms all over. I have had them re-bloom if we have a rainy period. They are evergreen with dark-green foliage. Excellent for the front of a bed. They pair well with Pink Skullcap (scutellaria suffrutescens) here in Texas which blooms more during the late spring/summer.

Mine have reseeded but not profusely and just nearby. Sounds like they are more prone to reseed in rocky (Hill Country conditions) -- mine are growing in a mulched bed with some top soil.

For more information go to its entry in the PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68511/

This message was edited Jul 16, 2017 10:14 AM

Thumbnail by htop Thumbnail by htop Thumbnail by htop Thumbnail by htop Thumbnail by htop
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

htop!, how nice to hear from you! it has been a long time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.