Hurricane Emily

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Here's where we begin.....and hope it ends soon! This is the NOAA website.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

This is where we were: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/528621/

This message was edited Jul 14, 2005 8:11 AM

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

I have nothing against Mexico, but I think it's their turn. We need a break!!
Pati

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Pati, they just showed photos of flooding in Asheville, much like last year. All from the continuing rainfall from Dennis. My feet are getting webbed, LOL.

Glad it looks like Emily will go farther west but sure hope Texas gets some rain from her.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Now it's Cat. 2!!!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

CNN says she is a cat. III now!

Wow. The 5 pm NOAA updates are not posted yet, or else I need to empty my cache!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

The 5 pm is posted now - poor Jamaica in her path again!!

From the 5pm Discussion:

Quoting:
SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING
THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

SOOO glad it's not headed my way!

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

NO way.. already 3!!! DH said it could change the path and come to LA shores.. we lives 45 miles to the shores..

Not likely at this point, Mini... but stay posted. Hurricanes have a way of outwitting Forecasters.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Darius, seems like no matter where it lands, you get the rains... days of them.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

We have enough of rain!! Today, it poured heavy rain.. It rained almost everydays..

Yeah, Blooms... sometimes far more than my share of the rains. Remember the cartoon character in Lil' Abner (I think it was) that only had consonants in his name and a black cloud followed him around? LOL.

From the 11pm updates:

Quoting:
DATA FROM A UNITED STATES AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED AND ARE NOW NEAR 125 MPH...205 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. EMILY IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE...AND EMILY COULD BECOME A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

… THE OVERALL GUIDANCE ENVELOPE HAS SHIFTED QUITE SIGNIFICANTLY TO THE NORTH. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS ADJUSTED TO THE RIGHT OF THE PREVIOUS
TRACK.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT5+shtml/150300.shtml

Seems like Miss Emily has become a Cat 4 overnight.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

It looks just awful and the discussion at 5 am.... so hard to tell where this gal is really headed !

Yeah, there's a lot of "IF's" about direction. Worrisome.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I'm with patishell, let Mexico have it...SE TX is having another day of pouring rain. After so long without our normal rain I know I shouldn't complain about it raining but but but....A few more days of this and I'll be rowing out to get the mail.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

This picture doesn't make me feel better...

Thumbnail by araness
Starkville, MS

Oh, Dear!. That's not pretty!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Nope, I guess I'll haul all the plants inside Monday. Although unless it turns a bit we should only have about 40-60 mph winds. LOL with my luck it will turn to the east and I'll get slammed.

Lakeland, FL

Araness ho, You hang in there. I am watching this thing to. We are getting soo much rain here until I could scream. Rain brings out the bugs, bugs chew, i shoo, they laff. I think i am gonna go by a gaff. Bug spray no work, rain turns it into a jerk, So ya can't win fo loosin" Guess I'll go snoozin. Marilynne

Hey, where's our #1 stormwatcher, Pati??

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

It's not good.

We're watching on that one.. For sure, we will get lots of rain and windy from Emily if it hit close. I am with araness.. bring some plants indoor and I don't know what do with my pet chickens.. (20) of them...:o( Maybe I will bring few in garage in the crates.

Araness and I live about 45 minutes or less apart, I think.. Araness is it correct? LOL.. We never met.. I hopefully one day soon...

In South, TX. The people already started prepared for Emily!!!!

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Is it that far? I would have thought less...Yep I'll keep an eye on it during the weekend and if by Sat or Sun it looks like it will hit closer then I'll make a quick trip to the grocery store for last minute non perishable items. Already have 3 big bags of ice in the freezer, ice chest clean and ready if needed, a case of batteries for the radio & Flashlights, extra tank or propane for the grill, plastic & a sheet of plywood for repairs if needed and of course I have a duffle bag packed with RXs, a couple of sets of clothing, dog food and bottled water. All the important papers such as INS, Insurance (house & car) are already in a expandable folder with a handle. *wink* this is what comes from having to much time on my hands, takes all the fun outta emergencies.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

LOL.. It should be less ?.. I am bad on math on count miles and time. He he..

I think I better get start and save milk gallons for water. etc.. also going to shopping tmw for emergency stuff.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

The track shows her hitting Brownsville wednesday morning.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

And nothing against all those wonderful people in Brownsville but they can have her *G* I'm not worried about a direct hit for us but more the 60 mph winds. In this area we have dead tree's/limbs all over and my main concern is one hitting a transformer and poof no power. Also if the rain keeps up on a steady stream like this we will get low level flooding in some of the areas that aren't as well drained. Ground is about full now as I'm starting to have puddles form in the yard. Another few days and my backyard is gonna be Sepulveda's Bayou again.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I could use the rain but, ..........

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

It's always that but,........ that's the kicker

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Right.

Quoting:
...EMILY WEAKENS BUT EXPECTED TO REGAIN STRENGTH AS IT MOVES TOWARD THE WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA...

And from the 8pm NOAA intermediate update:

Quoting:
DATA FROM A UNITED STATES AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED AND ARE NOW NEAR 115MPH... 185 KM/HR... WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

EMILY IS NOW A CATEGORYTHREE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Where is Pati?????

Her last posting was
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
Zone 10a
Jul 14, 2005
6:12 AM

Has anyone heard anything from her?

Judy

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I haven't.