Hurricane Emily

Chicago, IL

HI, this is Hap...leaving for home in a couple of hours...will be back in the fold tomorrow.....miss yous-guys......

Hap

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, it's about time! I bet you didn't miss us at all....running around Chicago and being a star at the garden viewing! LOL
Have a safe trip home,
Pati

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Glad you're back on the job Pati :)

Lakeland, FL

Welcome back 'ya hear? Corky

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

FWIW, here is a little map of the DGers along the Texas Coast. I think most of us will be fine with this storm, anyway, but there are a few of us that are far enough south to worry about.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Marylyn... Great Map!! Did you make it, and if so, how?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

COOL!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I opened the list of Texas subscribers in "Members Info", copied them into a spreadsheet (I use Open Office), and then imported the data into Microsoft Streets and Trips. Then I took a snapshot ("Print Screen") of the screen and pasted it into Corel Photo Paint and exported it as a jpg. It sounds more complicated than it is. LOL

Since "Members Info" only contains cities, not specific addresses, any "thumb tack" on the picture may stand for several people.

~ Marylyn :-)

I'm not familiar with MS Streets & Trips... looks like a great job, however you did it!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you! :-)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Wow! neat map.

Amazing map!!! I'm printing it off for quick reference. The projection for landfall is good...so far. If that ridge holds over the Gulf our DG'ers should only have the tropical storm winds to contend with. Here's hopeing!
Pati

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Pati, Emily just keeps going west! Don't these storms usually make a right turn into the westerly flow and then head northeast accross the US?

John, It's being steered by a hard ridge over the northern gulf. It's holding it down and it can't get through it to make the turn with the westerlies...thank goodness! Here's the latest meterologist's discussion:

IF EMILY FOLLOWS THE FORECAST TRACK...HURRICANE CONDITIONS WOULD STAY SOUTH OF THE LOWER TEXAS COAST.

HOWEVER...ANY DEVIATION TO THE RIGHT COULD BRING HURRICANE CONDITIONS TO FAR SOUTH TEXAS.

EVEN IF EMILY BENDS TO THE WEST AS FORECAST...AN NHC EXPERIMENTAL PRODUCT SHOWS THERE IS AT LEAST AN 80 PERCENT CHANCE OF SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM-FORCE WINDS IN THE BROWNSVILLE AREA.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

My hope has been that the remnants of Emily would give us some much appreciated summer rains. That hope is fading! :-(

What's Up? Emily is now a Cat 3, and no one's posting. Does no one live down near Brownsville or has everyone there evacuated?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

I hope Calalily is ok....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

A couple of folks posted over here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/530244/. So far so good...

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

It will be interesting to see if she ever gets caught up in the westerlies, at least to me. :)

Just checked out the thread on the Texas Forum. Calalily posted just after 11PM and was losing power. From what I could read during the day, she was ready and hunkered down. I left a message and marked it so I would know when she comes back on line.

Not everyone is a weather junkie like us, so checking the state forums would probably be a good idea in these situations.

Pati

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I'm here, we lost power, but it came back on. Emily made landfall almost an hour ago. High winds, some rain but not much. We're boarded up, have food and water just in case. We just lost sattelite on the TV, but power is still on as is the phone.
I noticed on the map that there is a member in Harlingen and Harlingen lost power yesterday evening. That city loses power at the drop of a hat, lol.
We are 4 miles, as a crow flies, from the Laguna Madre and live on a resaca, but the county has excellent drainage system to move the water out fast. Some areas are below sea level, but there isn't that much rain so far.
I think Dstartz was getting hit pretty bad last night, she said it might hail. She's in Alice, east of Corpus Christi. There is hail in Brownsville now, but not here.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks for reporting in over here, Calalily. And Pati, thanks for the heads up that not everyone is a weather junkie. ;-)

Glad to have you with us!!! It sounds like you are going to come through O.K....hope you don't find too much damage when you do a survey. This 'cane sure has kept everybody guessing....sorry about Mexico, but so GLAD for south Texas DG'ers!
((hugs))
Pati

This was taken about 30 minutes ago, looking out from the back patio.

Thumbnail by Calalily

Great picture...and very familiar! *grin* It always amazes me how the palms stand in that much wind when all the fronds weight blow to one side.
Pati

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

No swimmers?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

LOL. :-)

John, I think the sight of so much water has gone to your head! *grin*
Pati

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

I agree,he wants rain but not that kind,at least I don't.heehee

So sorry that the new state forums are dividing some information for all of us.

Thought y'all might get a kick out of the sign I saw yesterday here in the mountains.

Thumbnail by darius
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Gee, all you Floridians probably don't know what to do with yourselves - a hurricane that does NOT hit Fla?! Who ever heard of such?! :-)

I'm glad to hear you're faring well so far Susie, hope the same can be said for Donna. The bands coming off of Emily - at least what I saw last night - looked pretty bad.

Keep checking in with us!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

LOL.darius that's tooo funny

Darius, whatcha' wanna' bet the owners are selling so they can move to Florida! LOL Those wet, cold mountain winters will get to you after a while.
Pati

Nah, they probably CAME here from Florida, like so many now in the county. Actually the winters right here are mild compared to most of the NC mountains.

Pati, there is a Special on PBS tonight on the Appalachians.

Thanks Darius. Guess viewing a special will be as close as I get to a visit "home" this year.
Pati

Pati, I need to get you up here and we can "run the roads" so you get your fill (temporarily), LOL

Sounds like a plan! LOL
Pati

Lakeland, FL

Hi All, Get out the boogie boards surfs up. I suggested that here last year when our ponds, pool and streets were all at the same height w/ white caps in the pool. We watched the big washingtonian Palm bend half in two and never broke but alas, we had to have them cut down as the storms weakened them and they got worms and started to die. Darius, Leo has a daughter in Waynesboro how far from there are you/? All you tall and short Texans hang in there. I can really understand what you went thru. We had the eyes of 3 hurricanes pass w/ in 30 miles of us here last summer. Lakeland fla. Now because of all the rain I answer the phone Quack quack Heatherwood. May i help you? hee hee

Well, the winds got pretty bad, not much rain still but Hidalgo county and up where Donna lives were getting hit pretty hard. An apartment building in Brownsville was torn all to pieces, don't know if anyone was hurt.
We're out of power, running the generator now.
Lots of junk in the yard and some plants broken and blown over, but no big trees have fallen. My banana plants with bananas broke in half.

Forgot to say, the eye hit land about an hour ago. They say we've got 2 or 3 more hours and it will be outta here!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.