Blue flowers blooming now, Part 3

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Salvia guarantica Black and Blue

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Morning Glory

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

SENECIO x hybridus

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

TRADESCANTIA

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

hydranga

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Pixydish, my Mom grew them from seeds, which I collected this year and will try in spring, she said they were extremely easy. After they were done blooming last year, I sheared it down and it regrew quite tall and was large and lush this spring.

have I missed other colors?

This message was edited Aug 30, 2005 10:05 PM

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Sue, Sue, Sue, how are you? You most certainly can play. Play some more. I know you've got more blue flowers than these in your beautiful garden. How I love Cineraria (I mean Senecio, of course)! I wish they would grow here beyond spring, but they just melt away when the temps climb beyond 90. I remember buying them once and only once when I lived in Daly City. They never had to be replaced. They lived forever there because of the morning fog.

I love them too and I too started years ago with just a 6 pack, they sure start out the spring with a bang. Only got that violet blue once, most of mine are the dark purples. I shared some with my Mom and she got that blue one above this spring and I forgot to make sure to get seeds.
I don't have many blue flowers anymore, I am gradually converting over to warm colors although I love the purple/plums with them so of course the senecio will alsways stay!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Warm colors like orange, or what? I've developed a real passion for burgundy-colored flowers this year and I've been buying every one I see. One of my favorites, though, is a complete accident. I had a plain red ivy pelargonium growing in a pot for years. A couple of years ago I planted a lily in the same pot, and the lily caused my pelargonium to mutate into the most gorgeous thing. Here's a picture of it. I've never seen anything like it for sale in a nursery. It's just a beautiful freak of nature.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Pure blue MG
KALEEM

Thumbnail by gumlla
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, Kaleem. That's an incredible blue, and the flower is so wide open. Just gorgeous.

Well, I used to have mostly blue, lavender and pinks and now have been removing most of those and adding yellows, reds, oranges, rusts etc. My favorite color combination is lime green foliage with plum or reddish foliage or blooms. It's not always about the blooms now, I love varigated foliage so many things are now being added for the year round texture and contrasts. I will be ordering a truckload of a nice panting mix as soon as it cools down a bit and redoing many beds so right now lots of things are in pots scattered around until that can get done.

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Zuzu, you need to propogate that baby! It is gorgeous!
Kaleem - great, incredible blue!

Sue - I grew some red flax from seed last year hoping it would reseed for me, but nope. Nada. Maybe I don't have the right weather for it.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

My aster...

Thumbnail by kbaumle
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

What a wonderful photo, kbaumle!

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Beautiful picture -- worthy of a magazine cover! Which aster is that? Mine are purple ...

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Sue, your collection of foliage plants is a delight, and the pots are so pretty. I see the corner of a fish pond there too. Your garden is so lush and so beautiful all year. I still remember the pictures you posted in the California Gardening Forum or in Perennials (I forget which) in early spring.

Kbaumle, have you posted that picture in the Photos Forum? Everyone there would love it. The flowers, the butterfly, absolute perfection.

Beautiful aster photo, Kbaumle! Yes, which aster is this?

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Can anyone help me out. I forgot the name of this tender perennial.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I wasn't ignoring you, MGarr. I had no idea what your flower was. I'm glad you posted it in the ID Forum and let the experts there handle it. Debi (Trackinsand) is a whiz at that, isn't she? I've never heard of it. What are those incredibly beautiful leaves behind it? Ginger?

No it is a Musa. It never seems to die. Foliage.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Does it produce bananas or is it just for looks?

It would produce bananas if I lived where it was warmer. It produces babies all the time because I have to keep cutting back the big ones to take it inside for the winter.

I love that Musa! I've seen them for sale around here but didn't get one this year. I might next year, though. I love the leaves! It took me awhile to get accustomed to the 'tropical' look, but now I'm hooked.
Glad you got an ID on your plant. I was stumped.

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

ZuZu sorry for the late post....too much happening here. How did you get so smart with identification of flowers. I posted a pic a couple of weeks ago and asked what it was and you were exactly right. Cynoglossum amabile (a fancy varietyof Forget-Me-Not, is what you told me. I went on the internet to look up the plant and there was a picture of my plant. WOWEE!! Are you a master gardener? Thanks again for sharing your expertise with me.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Fancee, I am in no way a master gardener or any kind of expert. I've just been doing this for a long time, and I love blue flowers. Eventually, all the names get stuck in your mind. But thanks for the compliment.

Zuzu, perhaps you are not a 'master gardener', but you are mastering the art of gardening, n'est pas?
Here's a new addition to the garden: Clematis heracleifolia 'Alan Bloom'. I'm loving it!

Thumbnail by

Although not totally blue, this bromiliad has a striking combination of blue and pink. It reminds me of a baby's nursery. This actually bloomed for my recent 'open pond' party after three years of no bloom. I bought this plant in bloom, and the bloom lasted about a year before it was too ratty to leave on the plant. Then the 'pups' came, but it's been about 3 years since I cut the first bloom off. The 'mother' plant still appears to be alive and well.

Thumbnail by
Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

Sorry I took so long to get back to you guys! I looked through my ID tags from last year, as I got this aster at Walmart at the end of the season for $1.25, but I couldn't find anything on it, so I don't know which variety it is. But it just glows! I'm going to see if they have any this year. My mom kept telling me it wouldn't be back this year, but it wintered over just fine. At a time when my garden is looking pretty ratty, this is more than welcome!!

Thanks for all the compliments on the picture!

Today, when my youngest daughter was home and looking at my flower beds, she looked at the aster, which happened to have a Cabbage White butterfly on it again, and she said, "Is that the same butterfly that's been on that plant all this time?" LOL! (I had sent her the picture via e-mail.) Those butterflies just LOVE that flower and there are usually three or four of them on it at all times.

Well, rats and darn. Back to the drawing board on that aster! But it is definitely lovely!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

If they look like this, they might be a. frikartii-michaelmas aster.

Thumbnail by boojum
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Pixy, your pics are lovely, and I'm so glad the heat of summer has not diminished your eloquence.

This thread took so long to open, even with DSL, that I'm wondering whether there should be a part 4. It's so close to the end of the year, but we might still have wonderful pictures of asters and such coming. Should I start a part 4?

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

boojum, I think that's it. The flowers are about 1¼-in. in diameter, and the foliage is almost thread-like, but not quite. It's very fine. This is the second year for it, and the total plant is about 12 x 12 x 12.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Zuzu, I think that's a great idea. I've so enjoyed these threads, and the "fall blues" are indeed just beginning. Thanks, Neal.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a link to Part 4. Please come and fill it up. I know there are a lot of gorgeous blue flowers out there.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/544423/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.