Blue flowers blooming now, Part 3

Yates City, IL(Zone 5a)

Pixydish,
Were did you find the seed for the Earl Grey larkspur...I love that cool
serene color...dd

Everyone, your blue blossoms are outstanding...I once worked at a garden center that, at Christmas time, made and sold grave pillows and blankets-every year, this old timer would order one for his deceased wife...complete with Blue Poinsettias...now there was a look!!! dd

I don't think I've ever heard of grave pillows and blankets. I'm trying to imagine how that would look. Now my curiosity is stimulated!

I ordered the Earl Grey from Select Seeds. It's possible I might have some seeds to send you if you check back with me at summer's end. It won't be many because the larkspur never got very large. Probably didn't get enough sun as we had a miserable summer up until mid-august. But I might get a few pods from them. They really were a very different kind of blue color. Quite restful.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone for your kind words about the photo. I did use a digital camera, it it an older one though, an Olympus Camedia only 1.3 Mega pizels...but I can still get good shots with it and the newer ones take so long to write to the cards, because of the higher megapixels, I tend to get better shots with my old one. I told the camera man I would buy a better one when I could stop action and actually GET the shot I was trying for...so far they can't do that with the newer cameras. Sometimes it is hard to do with this one as well. Really prefer 35mm for that very reason! The Torenia is an annual and I have tons of seed. It seems to thrive in sun as well as partial sun and that is good for my porch has both, and with other flowers I have tried, one side would always do better than the other, but this little guy just blooms it's heart out on both sides so my window boxes don't look one sided this year! I will post on the photos thread as well. I should be getting some really good pictures back this week I shot with my 35mm, I will post some of them as well. Thanks again everyone for your interest!

Hi Janet, yes I agree about the 35 mm cameras being better for some things. Can't wait to see the photos you took with the 35 mm. It's been so long since I used one, I probably wouldn't remember how to do it! I have a fairly new cannon 3.2 which I bought because it had a 10X optical zoom and a screen big enough for me to see, sort of. I've liked it, but I miss my old Fuji FinePix digital. It wasn't as powerful, but it seemed like I could do more with it.

Will you have any seed from your Torenia to trade?

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I've been off of DG for a while - I've been catching up on threads for almost an hour. Work has been a little nuts lately. Nice shots! Janet - the butterfly is particularly cool.

I have a bunch of blues and purples in bloom, but haven't been out to take pictures.

Yates City, IL(Zone 5a)

Pixydish, grave blankets are constructed using a piece of chicken wire(sized at approx.2'x5')attached to a lightweight wood frame to form a rectangle; through the openings in the chicken wire, evergreen boughs are woven to give the appearance of a "fir blanket"; once all boughs are attached, the thing is about 1/2 foot in depth; 1/3 down from the top of the blanket, assorted ribbons,bows, and silk poinsettias are placed in a grouping; the blankets are laid out on the ground of the cemetary plot and anchored with pins. Pillows are smaller, bushier and rest at the base of the headstone...dd

Wow. I've just never heard of these. I wonder if it's popular in certain parts of the country? I know when my father-in-law died, my mother-in-law had black wreaths made for the door. It was a custom I had not seen before. She lives in the south, in Tennessee.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi, Stacy. Welcome back. We need those pictures. We've almost run out of blue things to post.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I took some shots of blues for you yesterday, Zuzu. Here is a new small flowered clematis (heracleifolia) 'Mrs. Robert Brydon' that the bees adore. Got it in full bloom a mile from home.

Thumbnail by boojum

I also went to a clematis nursery this week and bought this large flowering one, Fuji-musume.

Thumbnail by boojum

My gentians are blooming.

Thumbnail by boojum

Not blue, but tres unusual-this white gentian-small flowers very species. Don't know its name.

Thumbnail by boojum

Back to blue. Still lots of blue behind the shed.

Thumbnail by boojum

Last blooms on the tall delphinium.

Thumbnail by boojum

Close-up.

Thumbnail by boojum

More purple than blue-balloon flowers.

Thumbnail by boojum

'Ensign' convolvulus are still happy along a path in the garden.

Thumbnail by boojum

Glory bush.

Thumbnail by boojum

Blue mist bushes are finally bluing up.

Thumbnail by boojum

And here's the last-my chinese delph seedlings have begun blooming!

Thumbnail by boojum

I lied-one more. Here's a close-up of the balloon flower.

Thumbnail by boojum
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Boojum, they are beautiful. The bees aren't the only ones that adore Mrs. Robert Brydon. What a delicate flower. I've always liked Clematis, but this year I've really fallen in love with so many different varieties.

Gentians are among my favorite things, blue or white.

I can't believe how many blue flowers you still have blooming. My garden has settled into the mainly red-orange-yellow phase of the year.

Zone 5 has a (very) few pluses. I have lots of asters coming soon, too. Magenta, fuschia, blue, various purples, and white. Many are tall, huge bushes. Can't wait.

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Some blues ... this is some kind of lobelia -- can't remember the name -- it blooms late (not blooming yet this year and gets large and floppy but the blue is a true light blue ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

A close-up ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

A delphinium last year who didn't appear this year ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Nice Lobelia. It looks great with all the red around it. I also love your chairs.

Scotts, MI(Zone 5b)

HELP? Blue flowers, what are they? My grandaughter planted some seeds, I do not believe this was even in the seed pack but this is what came up. It is a beautiful plant with true blue blossoms. I have cut it back now and it looks as if a new clump of leaves is coming up and it might bloom again. It is really beautiful. Thanks for your help.

Thumbnail by Fancee1945
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Looks like Cynoglossum amabile (a fancy varietyof Forget-Me-Not). Isn't it beautiful? What a nice healthy plant.

somewhere, PA

oooo ahhhh... boojum. and crockny too! thank you.

And the cynoglossum is very pretty Fancee - your granddaughter
has great taste :-)

Providence Forge, VA

Here's my best blue, even though some of you have already shown pictures of it:
Blue Leadwort, aka Plumbago

Thumbnail by bobkat13
Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Cynoglossum never grows like that for me. I think our summers are too short and too cool for this one. The flowers are such an electric blue that I keep trying, though! That plumbago is a lovely shade, as well!

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

This was a Wal-mart rescue, though I don't know which species and/or cross since the tag just called it a salvia. The two plants I grabbed looked starved and gangly, I'm happy to report some new free-standing spikes now that it's been in the ground a few months. And the blue is a great bright electric blue.

Thumbnail by DarwinESF
Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

And these are from some (finally) blooming plants of directly sown Lobeila 'regatta marine blue' that I had bought as plants the and saved seeds from the year prior. I had other Lobelia (rivieri mix I think) so I wasn't sure what the offspring would look like. They seem to be a little diminutive but definitely the regatta marine color.. though now that I'm saying it I realize I have nothing to compare it to.. Well, anyway;

Thumbnail by DarwinESF
Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

And this is a Lobelia siphilitica that I got in a trade earlier this year from mvespa; she sent me a huge clump of great looking plants, including this one.

Thumbnail by DarwinESF
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

No such thing as too many pictures of Plumbago, Bobkat. It's certainly the "best blue" in my garden right now too.

Darwin, your Salvia is beautiful. It's lucky you rescued it. It looks very healthy and happy. I love the Lobelia too. I've never grown them from seed, although they do reseed by themselves, luckily. I always plan to grow things from seed, but never seem to get around to it. Not enough hours in the day, yada yada yada....

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh can I play?!
Flax

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Babbling Brook iris

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Aster x frikartii Moench

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Lovely pale blue! Does it reseed?

Whoops! We're typing at the same time! I mean does the flax reseed?
Also love the others. I'm looking for some light blue asters, haven't come across any yet.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2005 10:18 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.