Blue flowers blooming now, Part 3

somewhere, PA

Tell us more! What is this made from? And such lovely
garden art.
Tam

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I'm tired of pollarding my fantail willow each spring and I hated to just cut it down. I have a very tiny yard and the tree is getting large even though I cut it back so this spring I removed the bark and when the foliage died I painted it blue. I figure it should look great when the snow comes.

Here's one you can take inside for the winter if you live in a cold zone. Clitoria ternatea is a very intense blue that keeps throwing flowers until I have to cut it back to bring it in.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

MGarr,

Aren't they thought. I have one with my first pod on it, I am so excited!

Molly
:^)))

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I love that blue willow. What a great idea! I went to a garage sale last year where the people had a row of Agapanthus with the most incredible navy blue flower heads. Dark, dark, dark navy blue and really shiny. When I asked the woman about them, she said her husband had spray-painted them. People in California are such spoiled brats about Agapanthus. They're so common here that people treat them like garbage.

somewhere, PA

MGarr - oooooo aaaahhh...
this is a new one to me (as are so many plants.)
Its hard to tell from the picture - is it a shrubby plant?
I'm off to check it on plantfiles next :-)
Tam

It is a tropical vine. It begins to bloom in mid-June and will bloom until September. I have to cut this back and take it inside for the winter. It is never happy, but always hangs on until I put it back outside. You can buy seeds but I find that many tropicals only germinate if the seed is fresh.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

Here is a Eupatorium..... Blue Mistflower........ about to bust out into a sea of light blue!

mel

Thumbnail by TXMel
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

mgarr - the blue tree is very cool - I have a couple of dead shrubs I should have cut down - now I'm reconsidering....

Stacy

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

TXMel, that's an amazing Eupatorium. I've never seen one this color before.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Wow, wow, wow!!! I had accidently taken this thread off of 'watch' instead of the blue flowers part 2.....and one week later when I go to post, thinking it had been a quiet week....WOW!!!! Each and every blue bloom, garden art and foliage shot is amazing. You all have been sooo very busy while I was out of the loop...I won't even try to respond to you all by name....a big group "Good Job!!"

This is Campanula lactifloria 'Lee Neff'....3-4ft tall and wide....gets fuller every year. First the whole plant...

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

....and a close-up

Thumbnail by jamie68
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

Sorry, that was the wind-blown blurry one! This is a close-up......:o)

Jamie

Thumbnail by jamie68
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I love the wind-blown blurry one. It's so ethereal. I love this plant, but I'm really charmed by the adorable alpines in the trough.

Love the blue eupatorium! I, too, have never seen one of those! Lovely!
And the Campanula lactiflora, as well as the clitoria, and the "blue willow" and on and on! Love all the blues!

Here, finally is the blue nile lily. First time its ever bloomed like this for me. I think I finally have enough sun for it!
Geum "mrs bradshaw" is heating up the background.

Thumbnail by
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

What a rich blue, Pixy. And what a great combination, with that geum!

Thanks, Zuzu. I love the geum. This was supposed to be my 'hot bed'. I had torch lilies planted in with the agapanthus and the geum, hoping they would all bloom together. Alas, it was not to be. The torch lilies had to go, as they bloomed early and at the same time as the RED rhododendron in the background. I just couldn't bear the color combination any longer! This bed also has lots of chartreuse nicotiana, which I seem to be adept at growing.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Jamie- beautiful pictures of Campanula! I love it. I wonder what zone it is? I didn't see it in plant files.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Never Mind! I found it! It is definitely on my wish list for next year! Where did you get it?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8b)

I have found it 2 years running at a local nursery....will see if I can't find a mail-order source....and thank-you Ivy1, it is a pretty campanula and so different from many of the others. I like different..LOL :)

I knew you would like that part of that pic Zuzu..:)

Jamie

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

Jamie- Please don't trouble yourself to search, I can do that myself. I don't want to be a bother. I thought maybe you had ordered it, and that would be an easy way to find it.

somewhere, PA

Jamie - I'd looked into your campanula lactifloria a year or two ago and
thought I read it was "aggressive". Do you have any trouble with that? Its
sure pretty! I think I still have the seeds - I may just have to try germinating
some this winter.

Tam

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

one of the clematis got a later summer swerve going on the north side of this street tree.

Thumbnail by 8ftbed
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Nice blue. Which clematis is it?

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

Unfortunately I don't know. I started sticking clematis around this tree before I really started keeping track of what and where I planted things.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

That's a great Clematis. It's probably a good thing you don't know the name. My have-to-have list is getting ridiculously long.

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

And at last my Blue Clitoria Tetnatea seeds are germinated.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla
Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

welllll, I'm thinking of disconnecting one of the vines and layer them tomorrow. They ought to root before the first frost and probably set them in the window wells this winter.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking good, Kaleem.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

How come you let Kaleem and Mgarr say the c word and not make fun... and I don't mean clematis?????

Okay, Pea vine. I found shortly after I took last photos, I have a pea pod, assuming that will grow into seeds. Can't wait to collect them and starting growing them... :^))))

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Molly, after I made my feelings clear and people kept using the word, I could only conclude they were enjoying the opportunity to make me shudder.LOL. What can I say? I don't want to spoil anyone's fun.

Lucky you, to have a pod! It's the most gorgeous flower. Hope you get lots of seeds.

Here's something that may not look very blue, but it's an Impatiens, so it's awfully blue for an Impatiens, I think. This is Impatiens arguta. I just bought it, so there aren't many flowers yet, but it's already looking quite promising.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

LOL - Ever time I see that plant name I have to re-read it to make sure. Must have been a perverted botanist who named it.

Hey if mgarr's flower pic is accurate...

Yes I have the right name and plant. Kaleem how long did it take for your seeds to germinate? I cheated and bought my plant and just keep it going from year to year. Most tropical plants need to have the seed planted as soon as it is ripe or they take forever or never germinate. I have many seeds on my vine this year. Another view of the vine.
Marietta

Thumbnail by mgarr
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Don't go there, Boojum. LOL.

Sorry!

Bridgewater, MA(Zone 6b)

This is hyssop, which was a throw-in from Big Dipper Farm. I haven't used it as an herb yet, but it's got some nice flowers.
-Greg

Thumbnail by gregr18
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Very nice, Greg. I really appreciate the free herbs Big Dipper sends, because they're always nice flowering plants.

Gregr18, I have 3 big clumps of hyssop and no idea of how to use it as an herb. Can you tell me?.

Hyssopus officinalis leaves and flowers are used to flavor salads, chicken soup, liqueurs, fruit salads, lamb stew and poultry stuffing with sage. The leaves and flowers can be dried for teas. A poultice of fresh ground leaves is said to promote the healing of wounds and bruises. It will supposedly clear a black eye. One tradition says that hyssop clears wounds received from rusty metal because penicillin grows on the plant's leaves. But modern herbalists attribute any germ-killing power it might have to the volatile oils. A chef tip for a sauce to serve with cheese omelets or on rice, mince 1/4 cup of fresh hyssop and add to 4 cups of tomato sauce. All this according to Rodale's Herb manual.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.