If you plant this, you'll regret it

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I use triple strength round up or brush killer for things like poison ivy and daylillies and I would think it would work for campsis also. Maybe need a couple of doses.

New York, NY(Zone 7a)

There does seem to be a pattern among gardeners faced with difficult sites. I've done this stepwise colonization everywhere I've lived long enough to garden: first whatever will survive, then as the soil improves and I get to know the ground, I move the invasives to the next frontier and replace them with more delicate flora. Of course, sometimes something that's supposed to be fragile turns into a monster because it's super-happy where I put it, and often enough a sure-fire weed of a plant faints away when confronted with some mysterious condition of weather or soil. And invasives don't give up their territory easily.

I still haven't learned how to get rid of something that's successful, even if I'm sick of looking at it. I dumped a container full of lily-of-the-valley in the woods because I didn't want my daughter eating the poisonous, pretty red berries. I have a small container of red monarda left over from the enormous clump that was taking over my damp sunny bed. (It was doing great, but the red at the bottom of my garden clashed with everything. Now I have tradescantia, white obedient plant, and Marshall's Delight.) I tried to kill the monarda by throwing into into deep shade but couldn't quite manage it; now I've decided that it's pretty safe in the container and moved it back into the sun.

I thought I was controlling the pink evening primrose so well, and now I read here that "Siskiyou Pink" is well behaved! That's what I bought it as from Bluestone, so I guess that explains why it hasn't eaten my yard.

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

My husband said to try roundup too. Thanks! ~~Sandy~~

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Mine was a passion vine. A friend and I got them together at the farmer's market. Luckily mine was potted and I gave it away when I saw it was a space consuming MONSTER. Hers covered her whole island butterfly garden and the friend I gave mine to is still trying to get it off her pool screen and out of the neighbor's yard.

Chops

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a passive vine for the first time (in a pot) climbing up one of the legs to my deck...but naturally it will not survive our winters..I didn't realize how invasive it was in warm climates.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

THANK YOU for letting us all know. I was given seeds and now I'll know to be very careful. God's blessings on you all! :-))

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

dawnsharon~
Your gardening methods sound like mine!! When we bought here 10 years ago, I had three little kids and a hillside of sand, rocks and pine needles. Invasives could be had for free and didn't have enough nourishment to invade!
Each year I worked the soil, and when the invasives got bold,I yanked them, added bags of manure and compost to the spot they vacated, and put in the next level.
i finally have delphiniums and daylilies all around my "house" gardens.
The monardas, ditchlilies, oenothera,artemisia and echinops are all up on the sandy roadside (rural highway) where the salt spray also helps keep them in bounds.
And you wouldn't believe the compliments I get in town for my "wildflower" gardens: a bunch of throwaways plopped into the sand!!

Schroon Lake, NY(Zone 4a)

Echinops (globe thistle)
Very coarse but I liked the globes...
i don't any more!! They seed like crazy even in the worst soil.

And our house came with Bittersweet. Years of fighting to get rid of that, and we're still finding it

While many of us on these posts are experienced gardeners I really feel sorry for the inexperienced ones who read this page!!! They're probably wondering if there is ANYTHING they can plant!!! If you're one of them try the forums about perennials, daylilies, irises, dahlias, hydrangeas, annuals, vines and climbers, etc.

Collins (90 min. dr, MS(Zone 8b)

I want to grow bamboo, but was talked into putting it in a pot. I REALLY would like it to border my yard. Has anyone ever heard of maybe digging a ditch around the perimeter of where you'd like it to grow, & filling that ditch with cement?
Nancy

Zion, IL(Zone 5a)

sstateham.. (snort-n-speww) I just saw where you have to roundup the burn pile. (snickering) Thats bad when you rip, slice, chop and burn then nuke it with chemicals for good measure. :)

You should pot them up and sell 'em. There's a lot of folks that swear they have black thumbs and can't grow anything.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Fargesia nitida is a clump forming bamboo...a bit pricey but does not travel. Mine just bloomed..they bloom every hundred years and then die. Their swan song bloom. Very sad.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Achillia. I actually bought the seeds and grew this myself. I think the variety was called The Pearl. It spread everywhere!! I pulled it out the second year and put it in a garbage can. It set on my neighbors city grass out by the street. Well, some seed must have fallen in her lawn and it has since taken over her whole lawn!! It's been years since I grew it and I am still pulling it out of my lawn. I'm sure my neighbor has no clue what it is or where it came from. :)

The next horrible periennial for me is Lady Bells. I can't get rid of it. I've given up and let it take over the back yard. I'm actually selling the house and moving away from it. It is the only way I know to be rid of it. It is beautiful but spreads by underground runners and is very invasive. I tried pulling it out by the bushefulls for years and finally let it take over. I can't fight it any more. Missouri primrose has nothing over these Lady Bells. My primrose has just about died out for some reason. I'm not complaining.

I'm very careful what I plant at our new house up north. I won't plant aggressive perennials and I won't plant much that has to be divided every time you turn around. I want easy and carefree gardening in my old age. :)

Brenda

Brenda

Brenda - you're a wise woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm there now and I just wish the daylilies wouldn't grow so fast!

Nancy - triple check any bamboo to make sure. It's so difficult to remove if it ends up spreading. I'd hate for you to think you were buying a non-invasive kind (our gardening guru on radio refuses to believe there is such a thing) but why not take the advice on the one given above and check with your Cooperative Extension Agent?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you but I have had this bamboo for about 20 years...it is clump forming and really a wonderful plant. The only problem is that it blooms every one hundred years (believe that?) true. when it blooms it is supposed to be the swan song bloom and then it dies. if you happen to have one that is only 50 years old you will be rewarded with a wonderful plant for that long. It spreads slowly to form a clump.

I think today is my day to bloom: just found out I'll be a Grandma again come March 21st - the first day of spring!

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Congratulations on your new bud!

Chops

Thank you LaLamb! I don't regret a tear I shed for pure joy! Love the idea of a new bud. Have to go tell my daughter now - I'm sure she'll love it, too.

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Pirl -- I know your tear-filled pleasure! We have our second one coming in November...just means we won't see them here this Thanksgiving (they're in Minnesota). We'll be giving thanks here aplenty, though :)

Soozer - we both have many reasons to be thankful all year long!
Please come and visit our gardens at Forums: Garden Talk - Southold Historical Society.....and please post your comments on the thread so we can save it (for the grandCHILDREN) for our souveniers.
Thanks.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Pirl - congrats!

Brenda - I had achillea "the pearl" at my old house, and liked it so well I brought a clump here when I moved. I have mine planted where it doesn't get quite enough water, so maybe that's why I haven't had a problem. I know what you mean about the lady bells. I had those at the old house too, and couldn't get rid of them. On the up side, they were pretty. After 12 years in that house they had worked their way into all the beds, and fairly thick.

8ft - I finally found a lady who will take the darn ditch lilies. She'll be sending her son to help me dig them out in September. yippeee! In one of the other forum we were talking about my concrete planters with glads in them. Only one glad is blooming out of 6 pots. The others are about half the height and no buds. Any thoughts?

somewhere, PA

Passion Vine eh? I started one from seed a few years ago and planted it next
to my barn. Its come back several years now and is just huge! I was getting
nervous when I saw its shoots three free away from the planting be - opping up
in the grass. My rock garden isn't that far away - maybe I should dig it out and
start spraying with round up?

Tam

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Tam,

Remember that I'm in Orlando and our don't get killed back during the winter. If yours do you might be OK, especially since you've had it several years already. Mine took over in a matter or months!

Leslie

somewhere, PA

Good point Leslie. It does die back in the winter. In fact, I keep thinking it hasn't
made it since it doesn't pop up until mid-June. But its a giant!. If it blooms for me
this year, I'll keep it another year. So far, no blooms. Last year I got 1-2 blooms
on the giant vine.
Tam

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Tammy, I have the same thing: a giant red passion vine with no blooms in sight, unless you climb a tall ladder and look on the garage roof, where there are so many blooms that the roof looks red. It probably looks great from a helicopter.

This one dies down to nothing in winter too. I keep thinking I've lost it for good, but it comes back with a vengeance in late spring and envelops the grape arbor, a silk mimosa tree, and the garage. Somewhere under all of that, I have some hanging begonia baskets. I haven't ventured in to find them yet, because it's spider season here and I keep walking into huge webs in every corner of my garden.

Nancy, I have a friend who planted bamboo along his fences just before he moved out of his house because he hated all of his neighbors.

somewhere, PA

Well I'm not going to rent a heliacopter to enjoy it. LOL
You're obviously a patient one Zuzu to put up yours!
Tam

Richland, WA

Paul James (Gardening by the Yard) had a show this summer (can't remember if it was a new one or a re-run) on bamboo. He talked about some clumping varieties and also showed a landscape company that specializes in installing bamboo barriers. As I recall, they dig a 4-foot trench and put in a really heavy plastic barrier that extends down 3-4 feet and a few inches above the surface. Sounds like a lot of work! You can probably find some info from that episode on the hgtv website.

Sally

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

One more to add to this long list. Cyprus Vine
Sets seeds like moss rose and pops up everywhere the next year. You have to pull it and it entangles everything it gets near. Too small a leaf to treat with the brush and roundup. Ted

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

what is the botanical name of the cypress vine...are you talking ipomoea?

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Taking my yellow primrose and sticking it under the black walnut trees where nothing else will grow worth a hoot, putting rudbeckia behind them and let them go crazy. I've killed dozens of plants trying even the ones that are supposedly survivors, and had no luck with any of them. Let's see if the juglone will overcome the prims and rude beckies. LOL Mwaahahahaha

somewhere, PA

Meezers - I love your evil plotting! But I have to tell ya, my rudbeckias are thriving under my
walnut trees. And they're not rude - they're trapped between a stone retaining wall and the
road. They're just lovely where they are & they never need water or anything else. Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Tammy, I was also perplexed by Meezers' suggestion that nothing grows well under a black walnut tree, because one-quarter of my garden is under a black walnut tree, and it happens to be the area with the fewest problems. Everything thrives there--not only shade plants, but also roses, irises, and even fruit trees. It's the best-looking part of the garden, especially in these dog days of summer, when every other part of the garden needs twice as much water just to look mediocre.

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

We had a Black Walnut and I tried for 6 years to install plants there. The only things that would grow were jewelweed and buttercups. Everything just withered away. We took out the tree last year and all of a sudden every thing is starting to grow! I put in shrubs, and understory trees, and it is all really taking off. For the first time I don't feel like a plant killer!

Zuzu, I am curious as to what plants you have growing under you walnut tree?

somewhere, PA

Are there differences between English Walnut and Black Walnut? I've really
not found anything that doesn't grow there. I've got asarum, all sorts of bulbs,
hosta, peonies etc growing under my black walnuts.

Tam

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I was wondering the same thing...there are different walnuts but all have the juglens....(I think),...........Maybe some things grow better under different Walnuts. I have a black Walnut tree on our driveway and ventricosa hosta does well but all the daffodils on that side are gone and the ones on the other side are thriving. there are definitely things that grow under them, but alot do not.

somewhere, PA

Haven't tried daffodils. I just ordered a few hundred tulips for under the redbuds.
Hopefully they'll do OK there.

My walnuts are along the road. There's a strip of maybe 10-15' wide and then
a stone retaining wall and a slope downward. Maybe the drainage is so good the
juglone washes out?

Tam

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I grow everything under the black walnut. Among other things, I have two apple trees, a pear tree, several different kinds of rose of sharon, kerria, weigela, dogwood, and buddleia. Hundreds of azaleas, camellias, rhododendrons, gardenias, Japanese anemones, primulas, begonias, geraniums, pelargoniums, thalictrums, fuchsias, filipendulas, and astilbes. Lots of different kinds of lobelia and campanula. Wisteria, solanum, lapageria, clematis, plumbago, and passiflora vines. Many roses--climbers, hybrid teas, floribundas, David Austins, and rugosas. Lots of hosta, polemonium, brunnera, melianthus, omphaloides, impatiens, iris -- bearded, Siberian, and walking--and even some orchids, cannas, and dahlias. All of them grow perfectly there, with no problems at all.

I don't have many wide-angle pictures of the area, because I didn't get my camera until April, and it's mainly an azalea, rhodie, and camellia area, which doesn't really have a lot of blooms after April. Here's one that shows a part of it, but not much is in bloom now. I think you can make out the pears on the tree, though. I took the picture when the sun was setting, and I was in a rush.

Thumbnail by Zuzu
somewhere, PA

Well - I've taken 5 bazillion pictures but I don't have one of the walnut
allay along our roadside! A good excuse to take out the camera again :-)
Tam

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

I had a black walnut at our old house that I was able to grow things under without much trouble. Some things that grew well there - sweet woodruff, 3 kinds of pulmonaria, seveal hostas, bleeding heart, and daylilies.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, right, those are some of the things I forgot when I made my list -- pulmonaria, bleeding heart, daylilies, and also aquilegia and cyclamen. The pear tree, though, is the thing that makes me laugh at all of those reference books saying you can't grow anything under a black walnut. The planting instructions for pear trees tell you not to plant them within 50 feet of a black walnut. Mine's right under it, and the trunk is no more than 6 or 7 feet from the walnut trunk.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.