a few questions about crowding...

Greenback, TN

I bought some plants last year that were grouped in the pot. My dragon tree has 3 stems and my coffee has about 9. How many per pot for the healthiest, prettiest plant? They seem to be crowding each other out and it's not the pot size, but the spread of the leaves and stuff...

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Tammy it's not so much the leaf size and structure that would cause them a problem but more likely the roots being entangled. If you are ready to seperate them each into their own pots they would probable appreciate new soil and reward you with some beautiful new growth.
On the other hand,If you like the arrangement as is, then you might do some root pruning to maintain the size an original shape of the design. You could take a cutting of each and start new plants to start the design over with younger plants back in the original cantainer,too.
It's a personal choice.:)

MsC

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Tammy - coffee trees like room....and they have a tap root but can grow in a shallow area as long as they are started young. If you want your coffee to grow well into a nice tree and bloom and stuff...I would pot it in a 10 gal pot.

IMHO

Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.