What's your one must-have gardening item?

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)
There are a total of 314 votes:

A favorite hat or cap
(23 votes, 7%)
Red dot

A special hand tool (do tell which one and the brand!)
(80 votes, 25%)
Red dot

My beloved machine (edger, mower, tiller, or....?)
(25 votes, 7%)
Red dot

My kneeling pad or rolling seat
(37 votes, 11%)
Red dot

A watering device (hand-held or other?)
(43 votes, 13%)
Red dot

My potting bench
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

A greenhouse or toolshed
(24 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Other? (Don't hold out on us!)
(74 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

It's in three winners in my mind: 1st, the gloves by the Crocs brand, 2nd, the cultivater the DoitBest Brand, and of course the kneeling pad (do not know the brand) For long handled tools it's the Hoe. The Hoe devours all the spring weedlings in my vegatable garden and the tulips in the showy garden ( Way is it the all the weeds seeds grow in places where the garden NEEDS to look good) I'm growing hollhocks to shade some off hopefully...

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I didn't see any mention of crocs gloves on the crocs website -- can you post a link to the gloves you are referring to?

And which cultivator? See http://doitbest.com/search-cultivator.dib -- but I didn't see any that were the doitbest brand.

This message was edited Dec 11, 2008 7:51 AM

Jesup, GA

My one must have gardening item is a man that will help me work it!!!!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My Fiskars long-handled loppers - they cut through branches like butter.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'm so glad to hear that -- I was just about to order them! I love this thread. Wish it weren't attached to a voting booth question -- makes it hard to find!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I just happened to see the thread - not sure how.

I have had very good success with Fiskars - good quality and design. That said, I broke the blade of their little saw yesterday on an Amur maple - first time using that saw - so not sure what happened there. I haven't contacted them about possible replacement yet. Anyway enjoy the loppers, they've been great! And the extension handles are very easy to use.

Shannon

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I just ordered the loppers, AND the extension tree saw! I am sorry about your saw -- presumably it is under a warranty, but if it is poorly made, you won't want a replacement!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks! I have the extension tree saw/pruner too - haven't used it yet though. Good point about the saw - I'll see what they say.

Another must-have item: Fiskars (again!) soil knife, I think they call it. It's like a combination trowel/weeder/bag opener/twine cutter/all-round good tool. I broke one of the little points off lifting patio stones (bought a proper pry bar later that day ... lol) but it's still the greatest little tool. & a nice orange handle so it's harder to lose.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Other...I would have to say the antioxidant I just started taking a couple months ago. My knees don't ache anymore. It is called Vemma. If you want to know more just Dmail me. I am amazed how it really works but so glad it did.

a weed wacker--mine just broke

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

http://www.worxyardtools.com/cordless/grass-trimmers.html?gclid=CPTD8LyE7ZwCFQEhDQodcTCgjw

http://www.troybilt.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_14102_114351_55010_-1

Check 'em out. I have the Worx. It's a good product, edges and trims. Down side is it doesn't have automatic line advance. The battery charges quickly and lasts a very long time. I tried the Troy Bilt. It's heavier and has automatic line advance. But the head doesn't rotate to edge sidewalks and flower beds. I have miles of curved beds, two stretches of sidewalk and a driveway to edge so the Worx is more functional for me. Also it's extremey light weight. I'm a retired lady and that's important to me.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I just love this thread! So much great information. I just saw this on Amazon: It may become my favorite (though I haven't ordered it yet): Fiskars Garden Bucket Caddy. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005YX30/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance. Is that a cool idea or what?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

It is. I especially like the idea of having your cell phone handy and a water bottle handy. Not to mention that I leave a trail of tools behind me as I progress through the garden.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

From looking at the Fiskars Bucket Caddy, I found this other cool bunch of tools -- Bucket Boss -- I'd never heard of them . See http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000022439/ref=ord_cart_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance, They are really reasonably priced. I think Fiskars borrowed the idea... but I like the idea of the inside of the bucket being empty to put all the junk I accumulate while gardening (empty pots, weeds, whatever).

APISON, TN

My long handled dandelion weeder for wrenching all kinds of weeds out of this often
hard soil.

Lakeland, MN(Zone 4a)

Can you post a picture of the example of your long handled dandelion weeder? I am curious to see if this is something that I can not live without

Charlotte, VT

My one must have is a mixed sprayer of roundup with my collection of plant covers made up of different sizes of cups, large coffee cans, vinegar bottles with their tops sawed off and five gallon buckets. I've had shoulder surgery and back problems so I try to innovate to keep gardening. If anyone has any ideas to keep me going I'd love to hear it.

Grand Forks, ND

My Japanese weeding knife is my must have tool. It has a nice weight to it and a serrated edge on one side. I have had the same one for many years and if it broke or I lost it I would have to get another.I use it to pry up weeds, stab a slug, scoop out small planting holes, slip under a patch of something like self-seeded feverfew and get hundred of little seedlings in one fell swoop.

Radcliff, KY

Hat 8" brim . About worn out. Need a new one soon. I like it so much. Hope it makes it this season.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi i24him. What hat is it that you like so well?

Oconomowoc, WI(Zone 4b)

Hello All,
So many choices...I would have to say my trowel. You can do 95% of gardening tasks with a good trowel; you will just have to do so at ground-level. Which is a great place to look for the evil spawn of Cabbage Whites and other pests. Plus the scent of fresh-turned dirt is ambrosia to us plant-nuts. About the only thing you can't do (decently) is prune.
I have many baskets set on the deck, on posts in the front bed, hanging...you get the idea. So a small digging tool is essential.
My Grandmother's gardening fork is another must-have. I wish I had a trowel from that time-period - they obviously made things to last back then. I need to buy a new trowel every other year or so, because the little pin that holds the blade to the haft always gives. I'm really not nice to that tool :,( and I suppose that will happen when you dig head-size rocks out with it. Does anyone know where one can buy a solid adamantine trowel?
I also agree that a cold cocktail is a nice thing to have - just make sure it's in a closable lidded container - ants, bees, dirt, the occasional dog...yep our dog likes Yukon - and gets a trowel in the butt if he steps in my garden. I love Labs, but they're not graceful; a cry of 'get off the beans!' has the effect of sending him into the corn. I do encourage him to pee on the outside fence corners though, it keeps the deer away!
--- And a radio - backbreaking all-day work definitely warrents tunes....GOT Dan-de-lion Fever! or maybe...SEEEDS And A Troww-el !

This message was edited Feb 22, 2010 11:43 PM

Bridgeville, PA

My little cart with the tractor seat and a tray underneath the seat.

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

A good lawn mower.

Ramah, NM

My most useful, and thus most favorite, is a sharp hoe, 7" wide, but only 2.5" high, inherited from my father who got it from his father!

Hamilton, Bermuda

My Felco 7's. Used every working day for the past 34 years ( with loving care ! )

Belle Center, OH(Zone 5a)

my ice chest full of cold drinks. I have a chair and umbrella for when I get hot and tired. The chest will have ice tea, beer,water, juice, homemade wine, or any combination of those.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Homemade wine? Do tell!

Hamilton, Bermuda

No Rose Hip Syrup ?

Wine is pretty easy to make. I make anywhere from 5 to 30 gallons every year. I have 3 labels that I use. Sleeping Wolf, Gumption, and junkyard. All my bottles are recycled, although I buy new corks. I am planting hops this year, so I can try my hand at brewing.

Never heard of rosehep syrup, although I have an almost unlimited supply of roseheps available.

a weed eater !!

Hamilton, Bermuda

NikB . During the 2nd WW Rose Hips were collected by the bucket full in England and made into syrup which was a huge source of Vitamin C ( non - alcoholic I'm afraid !)

I know they're high in Vitamin C, and they dry well, lots better than citrus fruit. I'm pretty sure there were even varieties that were grown exclusivly for the heps. I guess the kindest thing I can say about them is that they are an acquired taste, hehehe

Hamilton, Bermuda

Hi. Nik. These were Rose Hips collected from the Hedgerows in buckets by kids for a couple of pennies ! I doubt they had much time to grow any varieties in those days. The only rain that came down was rains of Bombs!! Pretty sure though someone managed to make Rose Hip Wine ! An acquired taste - maybe ! Regards.

Morton, PA(Zone 7a)

Would not step into my garden without my Lesche soil knife, sold in A.M. Leonard catalogue. It has an off set handle and a serrated edge on one side. Perfect for planting, weeding and aerating. Oh, and my kneeling pad!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.