What's your one must-have gardening item?

There are a total of 314 votes:

A favorite hat or cap
(23 votes, 7%)
Red dot

A special hand tool (do tell which one and the brand!)
(80 votes, 25%)
Red dot

My beloved machine (edger, mower, tiller, or....?)
(25 votes, 7%)
Red dot

My kneeling pad or rolling seat
(37 votes, 11%)
Red dot

A watering device (hand-held or other?)
(43 votes, 13%)
Red dot

My potting bench
(8 votes, 2%)
Red dot

A greenhouse or toolshed
(24 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Other? (Don't hold out on us!)
(74 votes, 23%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

My favorite tool... my grabber! Gardening from a wheelchair is an adventure all its own. And, it has gained the attention of the neighborhood...

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/519690/

But, I couldn't weed, plant, prop up, harvest and reach the back corners of the bed and GH without it. I can even plants seeds with it!

Barb

N., CA(Zone 9a)

I really love my pink Mud Gloves! They are so comfortable and just right amount of "duty." (Not too heavy-duty, nor too light-duty). Close 2nd is my matching pink gardening clogs that I bought on ebay. They are also very comfortable, I cant help but wear them when I go out, too.

Coast range of, OR(Zone 8b)

My must have is my do-everything hat. It is a safari type crushable hat that I've had for 13 years and it looks exactly the same as the day I bought it, even though it's been through......Well, you get the picture. It keeps the sun off my neck and my hair out of my eyes.

Shepherd, TX(Zone 8b)

A sharp pair of cutters--the brand isn't important, but the sharp edge is! The sad part is that I own three different pairs, and never remember where I've set them! In fact, at this moment, I can't remember where I've put any of them. 8-P

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

I voted "other"--my "must have" gardening item is a bench, so I can sit back and appreciate all the hard work I've put in to the yard!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Queenbee, I'm looking for my pruners right now. I have 3 pair also and always seem to put them where I just know I'll remember where they are and invariably forget. I have also accidentally thrown some away when I'm putting the debri from my snipping in trashbags. I wonder if there are thingies like you attach to your glasses and hang them around your neck for pruners?

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Garden tool, but I have two favorites.
My little pair of pruners-just Meijer superstore house brand but they stay sharp and are strong enough to cut most things. Also small enough to go in my pocket as long as I remember not to sit down.
My plain old hand trowel. Love that thing! Couldn't garden without it. Good for digging, loosening soil between plants, popping weeds out of the ground, squishing grubs, brandishing at squirrels, whacking dogs on the head (I'm not being cruel-they are Newfoundlands and they think it is a game! They sneak up on me and play-bow, I whack them with the trowel, and they run off laughing at me, only to come back in a minute so we can do it again!)
I also really like my bright red rubber garden clogs. Didn't want to lose them in the grass, so I bought red. Hubby calls them my Mickey Mouse shoes!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Actually I have many machines. Mostly hand crafted to work for what I want them to do. Special planters, row makers, cultivators, etc. But none work if not hooked to my 2010 John Deere tractor.
If you have never been around a market garden, you would be amazed at what we can do with our speciaized machines.
Bernie

Corning, OH(Zone 6a)

I voted 'Other'.....it's a hip bag that you wear like a belt and it has a zippered bag with compartments. I actually wear two of them.......one for all of my garden stuff (marker, pencil, scissors, pruners, plant markers, hanky, yarn) and the other one is for my digital camera.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I voted garden tool for the Garden Claw. I love this thing. Helps to break-up the soil and loosen weeds and I also use it to mix in the compost and fertilizer.

Oh I almost forgot my weed bucket. Just a regular water/wash bucket with a handle. It goes with me everywhere in the garden. I fill that thing with weeds and prunings almost everyday!

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 11:54 AM

Bancroft, MI

my favorite would have to be my harvest basket (s). I have a few. The one I use most is a bushel basket I found at a yardsale. In late summer, I always carry it into the garden to collect the tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, beans...... I also have a long oval basket I like to use when snipping flowers to bring inside. I like starting my plants from seed and caring for them all but I like best when it is time to harvest. :)

Hope, BC(Zone 7a)

I know this is kinda obvious, but my 'must have' is any kind of new plants!!! Nothing gets me out to the garden faster and keeps me out there longer than adding any new additions!! It also makes me love all of my 'Old faithfulls' all the more.......

Longboat Key, FL

My kneeling "pillow". Guess I'm too delicate for just a pad. And the second, not listed, is my bag of Potting Soil. I am (temporarity) in NJ, and to make a planting cavity I have to trash the stuff I dig out.

And, I almost forgot -- a crow bar, for prying out the rocks I unearth.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 1:49 PM

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Kneeling pad! don't know what I'd do without it! I used to use my old volleyball kneepads until I found this. I sit on it as well!

Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I live in an apartment and am limited to container gardening, so my vote is for my own two hands! I don't even like to wear gloves - it may sound crazy, but ever since I was a little girl I have loved the feel of warm dirt in my hands.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Beer! Just kidding! It's my gardening gloves! Have to have them!

Ijamsville, MD(Zone 6b)

I voted Other - mine is sunscreen! otherwise it would have to be Mud gloves and my LLBean clogs.

DiOhio - those belts are a great idea - Duh. I am always wishing I had my camera or a tissue when I am far away from the house.

-Kim

Meadows Place, TX(Zone 9a)

ncgardenaddict, whacha mean, "just kidding"????? With the heat that we've been having, after a couple of quarts of 50% Propel & water, there's nothing like a cold beer whilst sitting in the bench swing admiring your work.

Longboat Key, FL

kipper2~

I'm with you.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Yea OK, beer is not so bad! As long as it's in moderation! You just don't want to be running around with clippers and a shovel with and tipsy! LOL!! Dangerous!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I would still take my gloves over any of it though! Hand savers!!!

Longboat Key, FL

Do you think Frederick Law Olmsted or Johnny Appleseed were sober when they did what they did?

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Beer or Mike's Hard Lemonade...

Barb

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

We can always say the beer is for the slugs, right?

Atchison, KS(Zone 5b)

I have a tool that I got at an auction, it is hand-made and last year for xmas I had them made for my family. Mine is still better but the new ones are good! I have attached an image of the new ones!

Thumbnail by jerrynmikey
Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

the Mantis mini-tiller. I'm not going to hand till or edge all the beds around here...wouldn't be any time left for the beer!

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

My spade. Brand? Some old guy made it. It's probably from 1945 or earlier. Old tools are the best. They don't break, they are the right size for me, they are very well made, and they are seasoned already so no rust.

Take it from me, if you are a new gardener: go to your nearest flea market, garage sale, or old guy down the street, and get your tools from them. You will have them for a lifetime, and you'll love them.

Oh yeah, and I'll take a Mike's Hard Lemon or Lime, thanks!

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 4:25 PM

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I LOVE my Cape Cod Weeder...gave them as Christmas gifts in fact. Everyone loves them. I want a long handled one next. I can get anything out or any area cultivated in no time with this gem. Here's a link to Gardeners Supply, but there are other places to get them as well.

http://www.gardeners.com/Shopping/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=13556&SC=XNET8419

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

My knee pads! I wear them year round, jeans or shorts!
I have a kneeling pad too but got tired of forgetting it as I move around the yard, so having them on my knees constantly is the best way.
2nd favorite is my very old trowel that is just my size. Of course, I had to paint it a bright yellow to find it if I leave it somewhere.
Carol

This message was edited Jun 13, 2005 4:12 PM

Schwenksville, PA(Zone 6a)

Felco pruners and garden shears

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

My long water meter. I'm sure most of the neighbors wonder why I'm always poking the granite, lol.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

I voted other, couldn't decide what to put.... so long as I have my hands in the dirt, I'm a happy camper.

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

Other - my digital camera

That way I can "garden" evern when the snow is up to the window

Hope Valley, RI(Zone 6b)

I'm with you BetsyBug. My DH got me one a few years ago and now it is always tucked into my back pocket if I am out in the yard. I find I not only great for weeding but for planting and for moving the garden snakes out of my way. They have a habit of being in the plants I want to work in or around. I just hook them gently and move them to another part of the garden. Its not the I don't like snakes it just that these little monsters like to pop out just as I reach into a plant and scare the heck out of me.

Pruning tools of any kind. LOL it is my therapy and I love how I feel after a good session. I'm whackers for whackers.

(Zone 7a)

I chose other..
I MUST Have Soapshield by www.gardensalive.com
I can not garden without it. It keeps my plants beautiful, green, and bug free. I'd be lost without it! If they went out of business I'd have to market my own! LOL LOL

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

That's a good-looking tool you have, jerrynmikey!

I have two faves - my kneeling pad, and my Fiskars secaturs. They're ergonomic - feel like they're rolling instead of squeezing. Good Finnish design.

http://www.fiskars.com/CA/en/Garden/Product+Detail?contentId=78680

Shannon

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

Other- my little pvc misting unit. This makes your propagating life ever so much easier, lol! I root my roses under it mostly, but I have rooted other things under it as well, weigelia, dogwood, abutilon, etc. Can't live without it :)

Diana

Coral Springs, FL(Zone 10b)

I wish I could have voted all of the above! But I really love all my whirling twirling water thingys...and after reading this thread, I'm getting some mud gloves for sure...(my hands are covered in tiny little blisters that itch like heck right now, I think it was the dumb cane that got me) and OH the little "poaching" shovel from Smith Hawkins, I like that alot too! And my hand pruners, I would tell you what brand, but they are lost right now...and that soap shield sounds great, and so do all the tools everybody mentioned and, well, you get the picture!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.