What are you looking forward to this year?

There are a total of 381 votes:

Trying a new vegetable (which one?)
(34 votes, 8%)
Red dot

Trying a new flower (perennial or annual?)
(79 votes, 20%)
Red dot

Adding a new garden or bed
(103 votes, 27%)
Red dot

Adding trees or shrubs to the landscape
(51 votes, 13%)
Red dot

A new water feature
(19 votes, 4%)
Red dot

New hardscape (deck, patio, paths, swing, ??)
(31 votes, 8%)
Red dot

A new piece of garden art
(13 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other?
(51 votes, 13%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I voted other because I am adding a huge extension onto an existing bed and adding lots of new daylilies, lilies and a few other perennials.
Vicki

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

I picked new vegetable, but it is really new fruits this year. I am planting currents, gooseberries, pawpaw, kiwi, and honeyberry. Now I just need to get rid of the snow!

SC, MT(Zone 5a)

Had to vote other. Planning on one or maybe two new ponds.....two to three new beds, new roses...new perennials...garden art....

I got started so late in life that I have to hurry to catch up!

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

I chose "Adding a new garden or bed" because I will hopefully be adding lots of new beds when we move. I would have been adding new beds to the present house this spring, but now that we are moving I have to wait. I am impatiently waiting for us to get our house on the market in the next couple weeks so we can sell it and get a new place with a bigger yard! I want to plant so much, but instead I have been digging up and potting up lots, in anticipation. My front porch is filled with pots aching to get into the ground.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Had to choose "other", 'cause I am trying several new perennials, trying all new vegetables 'cause it's my first year planting a veggie garden. Added a water feature in the form of a pond and waterfall (just got it up and running over the weekend) Bought new Garden Art which I posted in the Garden Art forum. Added some new trees and shrubs in the form of Magnolia, Camelia, Smoke Bush, and Japanese Maple. Had to add a a couple new beds to accommodate the above. :)

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I 've sown a few perennial plants maybe two or three years ago that have 'nt flowered YET like handcrossed daylillies, rose of sharon, other hibiscus and so on.. I 've got the seeds from generous traders here on DG..So that 's what I 'm looking forward to...to see them bloom for the first time.

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Our new "garden bed" is actually new cedar trellising encompassing our entire back fence, which spans two yards. It is planted with cross vine, B. Tangerine Beauty, with a centerpiece of solid panelling, showcasing my three-generational "heirloom" oleander. It's absolutely lovely, so neat, crisp and fresh, AND my husband did it w/his "hobby" time. =) In between the six planted vine startups, we're putting simple shrubbery accents, such as tailored boxwoods.

I love spring!

MKJ

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Two Big Beds - all new and empty, ready to be all filled up with who knows what.. . .. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Bliss. Mitch

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm adding a new bed, new veggies, new annuals, new perennials, new bulbs and new garden art. How's that for covering all the bases? :)

Brookhaven, PA(Zone 7a)

YES! LOL!! All of the above!

New veggie-- Falstaff Sprouts
new flower-- to many to mention - both annual and perrenial
New bed-- shade bed under a pair of cedar
Trees or shrubs -- got me a Harry Lauder's walking stick ofr my Birthday!
New water element- adding one to the front garden-- half barrel type
Hardscape-- need a sidewalk between the driveway and the house
Garden art -- adding tons- major ones- 15 ft windmill, milk jug and BIG steel bucket from my grandfater's (inheritance- I got the garden!)
Other?-- I'll think of somethin!

LOL!!!!

Heather

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Last fall I planted a 'Wine and Roses' weigela, a lacecap hydrangea, russian sage, pennisetum 'Karley Rose', spotted deadnettle, coral bells, columbine, and Korean boxwood so I'm anxious to see how they will do. I'm also trying my hand at pumpkins this year--'Wee-B-Little', 'Cinderella', and
'Prizewinner'. Also new to my garden (from seed) are eggplant, mini white cukes, china aster, delphinium, larkspur, smokebush, cantalope, 'Zulu Prince' daisy, and 'Mini Bar Rose' morning glory; from bulb/corm are poppy anemones, dahlias, calla lilies, asiatic lilies, lily of the valley, caladium, and hosta. My garden is still young (only 2-3 yrs), so it will be interesting to see how the existing plants/shrubs do.

Blyth, ON(Zone 5b)

All of the above! I'm goin' for broke this year ;-)

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I had to vote other as I'm putting in new beds, planting many new vegis (peppers, bok choi, mesclun lettuce mix, eggplant), many new perennials see list here http://www.q7.com/~erasmus/images/PlantList.txt

and also adding a xeriscaped bed.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

We tore apart our largest pond and are going to redo it.

paul

Braselton, GA(Zone 8a)

I am trying out several new annuals this year. I am most excited about the petunias. I got the Dolce series from Parks and a couple of heirloom ones including the wild petunia.
I am sooo excited!!

Also am growing a few new tomatoes.

8 miles from Athens, OH(Zone 6a)

Two new beds for me: a rose and herb garden, and a new vege garden.

Lomita, CA(Zone 10a)

Chose other but meant... all?

Added two dwarf apples, a dwarf orange and a dwarf lemon tree. Added peanuts for a new veggie. Added several new shrubs (burning bush and persion lilac, two new mock oranges) in a new bed. Creating a new "meadow " to reduce mowing. Added a weeping pussy willow in yet another new bed. Added a new greenhouse (yeah!). A new shade bed has a Baccus face and new birdhouses are made each year to add from our gourd crop (new forum, please?). New annuals and perrennials as well. Hoping for a new solar/fountain/birdbath...

Northern California, CA

I'd have to vote for Other, my DD is growing me a brand new grandbaby! :-)

Modi'in, Israel

Ahhhhhh Candy! Congratulations!!!! :-) When is she due? This is such happy news! :-)

Well, I usually just stick to herbs, but this year I planted a tea olive and a star jasmon. I also have 2 gardenias and I can hardly wait for my yard to start smelling good with all these wonderful smells!

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I picked other because this winter I decided to start some seeds, the right way, and found I am doing better with them now. I have Hibiscus and Yellow Bauhinia seedlings, 100% success.

In light of this success, I am trying more growing from seeds. I'd like to see more success with perennials from seeds.

Molly
:^))))

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

Zone5girl..........weigela is MARVELLOUS! I bought one last year, and it's one of my favorite accents. =)

CONGRATS, Happenstance.

=) MKJ

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I voted "other" because I don't have anything new planned. I can't even keep up with the old stuff.

I am going to try to grow plants for sale this year. My plans have been when we move to Kerrville to grow plants and sell them at plant sales, local Market Days, Farmer's Mkts, etc. But I recently decided I'm not going to wait that long. So I now have 100's of seedlings and 4" pots full of small plants growing in my back yard, my hoop house and on my back porch, with new seeds arriving weekly.

Northern California, CA

Thanks! :-)

So far my DS & DIL have grown two for me (9 & 7), and my DD only one (2 1/2). Now a new one on the way due in the Fall and I am really looking forward to a new baby again.

Cpngratulations!

(Zone 2b)

I'm trying a number of new (to me) vegetables including artichokes, paprika peppers, and bok choi.

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

I chose "Adding a new garden or bed" because we've nearly doubled the size of our veggie garden after such great success with the first one last year. :)

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

I chose Adding a new garden or bed. In February we tore out all of the boxy shrubs that were in front of our house. Our front yard looked like everybody elses yard. I've already started putting in some new things.

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

I chose 'Adding a new garden'. I'm working on which flowers grow best in my area for hummingbirds...so I've been cleaning up areas to plant flowers and bushes.

Lantana, FL(Zone 10a)

I have 100' of trellised fence upon which to plant any vines I wish and along with being excited, I'm feeling a wee bit of trepidation as to what to choose. I don't like yellow anything, prefer blues, purples, pinks, whites...I'm definitely doing clitoria ternatea...I have an ipomoea acuminata I'm afraid might take over if I'm not careful...What to plant? Where? It's so much fun I can hardly stand it! This property is also home to many soaring, mature trees. I want to take a chance and try Jade vine. The owner loves the exotic and is willing to go the distance with this one. The roots will be shaded, the top will be in sun. What do I have to lose? I have been lusting over this plant for many years and the chance to grow it excites me like nothing else. Not even ice cream or the perfect gin and tonic! ;-D

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

I voted for "trying new vegetables" since this is my first year growing heirloom tomatoes.

Rhonda

Fort Walton Beach, FL(Zone 9a)

I want to get rid of as much grass as possible, so I have been researching and have already start putting i various ground covers that are evergreen, low growing and some can even be mowed to remove dead flowers and to tidy them up! I live in North west Florida.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

I picked other because I have added new beds in the fall and have bought loads of daylilies and I can't wait to see them bloom!!!!
Celeste

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm going to try growing bird gourds.....I've got one plant...but it's thriving....maybe I'll get one gourd! Hope so!

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

I am adding more perennials to my woodland garden: anemonopsis macrophylla, paeonia japonica, different arisaema, Vancouveria hexandra and etc. Of course more ferns (I really do love ferns). Last year, my husband built a retaining wall using 30 boulders and 20 yards of soil. So my project is to put plants on those 60 feet by 3 feet soil. The problem is that he ordered the fill soil which is very bad soil (his execuse is that is cheaper). I already put some bamboo there. The plants I am going to put there are: creeping jenny, lots of ferns (ostrich fern, cinnamon fern, because they are tall), Mayapple at the one end (it's very shady there). It's a big project for me.

Worden, IL(Zone 6a)

I am growing brugs first time. I got sucked into the brug forum, and I see no way out. :-)

Congratulations Happenstance -send some of those thoughts over my son's way. I want a grandbaby to spoil before I am too old to enjoy...LOL

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I plant to get my house paint and low maintenance plants on front yard this year...

Rusty (SnowElk)

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

I voted Other because I've planted 32 new trees in the past month, new shrubs, and have added a new berm to cover with perennials. New stuff is soooooo exciting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.