The Garden Diary is ready for testing

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

maggie's right - and I am one of those people. I've tried re-entering my entries for those dates to make them reverse-chronological, and something in the system won't let me do it with any consistency, no matter if I enter the last one first, or vice-versa. The only thing I didn't try to manipulate was adding a title to each - would that help?

I'd recommend that if a diary is going to be in reverse-chronological order, then multiple entries for a single date also be in reverse order to how they are entered.

(It would also be great if we had the ability to determine on a tab-by-tab basis if we want it in chronological or reverse chronological order.)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

is there some way to rename tabs?

Shangshui, Henan, China(Zone 7b)

I also met the same problem. I want to add "(April Issue)' to 'My Mosaic on Gardening', But I have no way to do so.

Elkton, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Dave--

Just encountered a problem this morning, while attempting to start a diary.

I clicked "manage your own diary" and, instead of instructions on how to proceed, I was taken to the diary of somebody named 'linjasar' instead.

Advice?

Hampton, IL(Zone 5a)

I've been so busy adding things to "My Info"...plants, photos, details, comments, etc that I hadn't seen this. I will check into it in the next week or so...sounds like a great thing to have. I will be off work for the summer and will have all kinds of extra time to "play" in Dave's Garden!! :))

L8r y'all,
Ginni

Elkton, MD(Zone 7a)

Well Dave, my diary page looks the way it should this morning. Thanks!

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Oh Wow Thanks Dave,
This is great!!!!!! I'm going to have a blast.LOL.Jody

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Dave,

I just noticed that my "Garden Site" says my Garden Diary was last updated April 19th, but I actually updated it Aug 1st, and a few times between those dates, as well.

Also, have you given any more thought to at least allowing us to choose whether we want the entries sorted by 1st-to-last dates or last-to-first dates? I'd really like mine to be sorted 1st-to-last.

Thanks,
Maggie

edited to add:

I just noticed that a number of other people I checked on have the wrong (an old) date as the latest update of their diary. Not earthshattering stuff, just thought you'd want to know.

This message was edited Aug 18, 2005 1:38 PM

Good report! This is now fixed.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Dave, you mean the update date, right?

Now, about that sorting issue...
:-)

Yes, about the update date.

Now, what sorting issue? Can you give me a link to the thread?

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

It's earlier on this thread.

Started with langbr, Apr 22, 1:33am, then taken up on May 3, among langbr, Mystic, and myself. Some want new-to-old, some of us want old-to-new (like the threads in forums). Wondered if we could click to sort either way?

Oh yes, I remember now. Thanks for the reminder; I'll see what I can do.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Dave, have you thought about this any more? Since I really hope people will start writing "garden tours" in their diaries, it would really be nice to have the option of viewing old-to-new. And, since multiple entries under the same date appear old-to-new, in that case, the diary would be new-to-old, but suddenly old-to-new under certain days.

Please?

Oof - that was quite a delay since I said I would do this. I'm sorry for letting it slip between the cracks.

Right now I have set it up in reverse and we'll leave it like that until I make it configurable. Does that work?

dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

You mean leave it as it is - new-to-old - until you make it configurable? No problem, it's the way it is anyway, only now I have hope! :-)

(Do you want me to keep reminding you from time to time?) lol

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey!! Dave, did you make the change? I was entering a new "thread" to my diary, it started out the new-to-old (reverse chronilogical) order, and after this last entry it is now old-to-new (chronilogical) oder!

Yipeee!! thanks!!!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

I am absolutely giddy with delight about this!
:-)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Aw shucks, now it's back to reverse chronilogical order. What gives? (Notice, chronilogical?)

I haven't changed anything since Dec 9th. The way it is currently is the way I thought ya'll wanted it. ?

dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Well, it's weird, Dave. The diary was still going new-to-old, then on the 17th, when I was first entering some new items, it switched to old-to-new part way through. I was thrilled, then it went back to new-to-old. It's now back to old-to-new! Each time that happened, I checked other people's diaries too, to see if it was just my diary doing that. Maybe my computer has been hitting the nog!

Well, I'm flummoxed.

The way it is right now - is that correct? Please make sure you are viewing the latest by doing a "Shift-Refresh".

dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

"Flummoxed" Great word!

Yes, everything seems to be well with the world and the diary right now. Chronological order (old-to-new) is what we were looking for. Thanks Dave!!

Maggie/Mary

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Dave,
I've been trying to update my Diary, the thing is all it let me to is read my Diary... as if I'm not me.
I logged out and then back in and still no go.
What's the secret?

Dove

dovey, try going here:

http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/clear.php

After that, then try to access your diary again.

best,
dave

Columbus, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you Dave!

Hi, Dave,
I shot a short film (about 1 minute) lately with my Cam on my garden activities. I don't know if there is a way or a place to show the film in DG. This might be a challenging job for you.
This is just an idea.
Thanks and happy gardening!
Jianhua

I was wondering when video would become a requested feature. :)

I'm not sure we're ready for that, for many reasons, most of which are technical but some are logistical. Maybe in a few more years. :)

dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Dave, I've been wondering that myself, just waiting patiently. I know you try to keep us abreast of the latest and greatest!

Dave,
As I have said, this is just an idea. Technically, there are indeed some difficulties to show 'motion picture' on the internet at least for the time being. But we DGers have patience to wait. The moment when this idea comes true, DG will take on a thrilling look, I am sure. :) (and by then you will hear how I a Chinese speak English.)
Thanks for responding me.
Jianhua

Cross Lanes, WV(Zone 6b)

I don't know if this is the right place to report this or if it has already been reported but.. When I choose Edit This Tab, there is a typo at top of the next screen ---

Renamgin a tab in your Garden Diary (Beta)

I love the diary - great potential tool.

thank you.

Thanks for this report; it's fixed!

best,
dave

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I'M STUCK AND DO NOT KNOW WHY! On day #1 I placed several pix with text into my diary. They fell into place the way my story develops. On day #2 I placed another pix with text....the next step or another step in the story development. It is placed on top of day #1 entry #1. I can not figure out how to move this entry to the bottom so that it is placed into the developing story diary leaving my day #1 pix and text the top or header of the diary. This diary story...if this difficulty can be resolved..........will be a complete and accurate show and tell story about Giant Pumpins some hundred or so pix with text.
docgipe

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Go into the tab in your diary that you want to change the order of. In the navigation bar you'll see an option that says "edit this tab". If you go into that, then you'll see a place to choose whether to display oldest or newest entries first.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

ecrane3........this 'ole dog thanks you. Seems I am to literal. I was trying to work within: Change Order, of this tab. Incorrectly I thought each entry was a tab. Edit, to me, did not suggest the change I needed. :) Mercy I still find it difficult to hit the Start Button to begin my stop or close action.

I am pleased to have this diary option to create a "How to " much to large for a published normal gardening subject. I will be more pleased if folks find it and use it to grow the great pumpkin.

Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Sorry, I can't wade through this entire thread!! What is the difference between a 'diary' and a 'journal'?

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

A diary (or blog as it is now called) is a free-form text field just like a blank diary page. You can also attach one image per entry. You can make as many entries as you like and set up different diaries based on whatever distinction you like.

The Journal is like a database where you create a new record (item) and can add numerous entries (text comment field) under each item. You may add one image per entries under each record (item). Additionally there are several defined fields that you can set up for your records in order to classify them. Because this is a gardening journal feature those defined fields are: Common Name, Cultivar, Genus, Species, Location, and Status. You can have numerous Journals as well. You may want to have one journal for outdoor gardening, another journal for greenhouse, and another for indoor houseplants.

Feel free to look at my Diary (blog) and my Journal (outdoor gardening) to see an example of how these 2 can be used. Just click on my name to see links to both of them.

Chillicothe, OH

I'm sorry. I must be exceptionally stupid or something. Direction#1 is 'find the Journals/Diary TAB at the TOP of the page.

1)at the top of my page where the tabs are, I see only stuff about communities guides and information, tools, home, products and sources. Nothing about journals and nothing about diaries.

2) at the RIGHT SIDE of the page I see A MENU that says, amongst other things DG JOURNALS and DIARIES but if I click that it takes me to a forum, THIS forum in fact, where wer TALK about having a diary.

Alll I want is a place to write what I'm doing in my garden that's EASY to get to and EASY to find and EASY to find again. I don't want to TALK about writing. I want to WRITE and have done, before I can't remember anymore what it was I was giong to write down (too late, actually.).

I thought I knew this place but yesterday I found something like ebay here. It was like finding the door to fairyland at the bottom of your garden. One day it was there, today, it might as well have been a dream.

I'm sure it's my fault, but I'm pretty disgusted. I seem to be writing emails like this more and more. I must be losing what little mind I had left.

Melis

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Dave rearranged the home page since this thread was started--you can find your blog/diary if you click on the My Tools tab.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images