The Garden Diary is ready for testing

Thanks for all the feedback and reports.

1) Extra nested tabs: maybe.

2) Delete miscellaneous: is impossible. That the option appears to be there is a bug. I need to remove it. Making that tab deleteable is now on the TODO.

3) Move items from journal to diary: yes. It's now on the TODO.

4) Dates being chosen incorrectly: I'll look into it.

DidI miss anything?

dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

"Back to the top"?

I can't tell you how much I love the Diary, I already have about ten tabs created, just need to start catching up!

Maggiemoo, I don't know if it will work for you but I hit the "home" key on my keyboard and it takes me right to the top.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow! How cool is that?!

Thanks!

The Miscellaneous tab is now gone, for good. Anyone entering their diary who does not have any tabs, will be prompted to first create a tab. After that it proceeds as normal.

Dave

Dave,

Would it be possible to allow us to set a tab of our choosing as our default page?

Thank you for this. It's coming along beautifully!

Donna

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks dave - what a great feature that I'd never tried before. Super nifty :)

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Um.... Dave?

No matter what tab I choose - whether it's a tab I've previously posted to or not - it shows the most recent posts I made this morning. It shows those two posts in all tabs, and the posts I made before (under various tabs) don't show up at all.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Is anyone else having trouble viewing their diary? I was fine yesterday, but today I cannot see my entries.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

My one and only entry is there ;)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

hmm. Ok, I went in and deleted my 2nd tab & then I was able to view the contents of my first tab. Must be something I am doing wrong.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

No, something is amiss.

Look at my post just above yours (we posted at the very same time, 12:43.)

Ackk! All my notes from last night are gone!!!

Try it now - let me know what you see.

Donna, they are there, just not showing.

Remember that this is still beta, though!!

Dave

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Ahhhh much more better! :-)

Thanks, as always.

Donna,

Do you see your stuff now?

Dave

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Dave - don't mean to be a pest, but was wondering if you've made any progress on the date recording incorrectly? I've noticed that it definitely is always showing date entered - 1 day. Then if you edit the entry the date is then -2 (I think it's because it now sees the stored date as entered date - 1).

New request
Would anyone else like to see their entries in reverse date order? Meaning have it show last entry first. I'm finding that I'm having to scroll to the bottom to see my last entry. After 30 days that's going to be a lot of scrolling.

Dave - might be nice to have (at some point) the ability to skip to specific date. A lot of folks requested this new "diary" because they like to go back and look at the weather on a given date (say last year at this time). It would be a HUGE plus to be able to key in "04/22/2004" and it list the entries starting with that on onward. That way if you want to see the week of 4/22 you could read as far forward of the entered date as you like (say you're looking for the last freeze you had).

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Just tried the new Garden Diary, and I love it. It is just what I wanted and I didn't even realize it. Should go very well with the data-based Garden Journals. Dotti

Yes, Dave, it's all there again! Thank you!!!

Donna
just back from the CTRU

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'd have to agree with langbr, the date is definitely a pesky bug.

I like the fact my home page now announces when I last updated my diary (public embarassment is a good motivator for me ;o)

But the date needs to be fixed, and also the navigation - after I add an entry, it asks me if I want to go back to my diary, but instead it takes me to wherever I was before I entered the journal tab (usually a forum.)

I personally can't think of much else that I'd want to see in the diary - if we start piling more features into it, it will become as complicated as the journal and I think the more simple and streamlined it is, the easier and more user-friendly it will be.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

How does one set the "privacy settings"? I haven't seen where that option is. Just curious.

Love the way the Diary is set up though! Very easy to work with!

To go along with being able to set our own default tab, it would be nice if we could choose whether to have the most recent post at the top or at the bottom.

And although it is only a beta version, it is quickly becoming indispensible!

Thanks, Dave!!

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Shoe, I don't think you can make the diary private although I could be wrong. You set the individual entries as Private by checking the box at the top of the entry page.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

ahah~~~! Thanks, Brenda! Didn't see that box! Muchos thankos. (I'm a slow learner on top of not seeing things! It's a mess in my haid!)

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

You don't want to see inside mine. I'll leave it at that. LOL

Dave,

Could you also have a full side bar menu on the page that comes up after we submit an entry?

Concerning dates... I cannot replicate this problem to save my life.

Someone (Terry?) please give me precise steps that I can take to see the error.

dave

Dave,

All I have to do is enter an entry using any date and it will appear afterwards as the one day prior.

HTH,
Donna

When I add an entry, it adds it correctly. Maybe it happens when you edit it?

dave

It does it then, too.

It happens on my machine for new entries and for editing...
Have you tried it on a different machine than one that already has your coding? I looked at the source code and it looks like some of the coding may not be there. Would you like me to post the source code for the date portion as it appears on my machine?

angele, you shouldn't be able to see the source code - only the HTML that was produced. Right?

dave

Could you try it again right now and let me know how it goes?

It works!!

Thanks, Dave!

And thank you for the menu on the confirmation page, too!

This message was edited Apr 26, 2005 10:24 AM

sorry bout that.. sticking my nose in where it didn't belong...
:-)
Angele

and I should have added: yes :-) the date is working now

This message was edited Apr 26, 2005 9:34 AM

angele: no prob. :)

dstartz you are most welcome!

next up: import from Journal to Diary.

dave

Import from Journal to Diary is finished, and it works quite well!!

When you are looking at an entry in your journal, click on the link: "Copy this to your diary.". Just click on that, confirm and you're all set! It works quite well!

dave

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

yay! I imported my journal "log" over and it went without a hitch. (and yes, the date issue seems to be resolved...everything in my "old" (beta) diary suddenly had the correct date.

Any chance we can edit the name of a tab once we create it?

Edit a tab - on the TODO! (I knew that was going to get brought up!) :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images