The Garden Diary is ready for testing

It's simple and hopefully extremely easy to make your own diary now.

Click on the "Jourrnals" tab at the top of the page.

Then click on "Manage your own garden diary".

Hopefully it's so simple that it won't need explanation.

Main features:

1) Tabs. Create tabs to categorize your content. Tabs are optional and you can just use the default "Miscellanous" tab if you wish.

2) Pictures - one per entry just like posts in threads.

3) Privacy settings. You can set individual entries as private or public. A locked icon will appear on those private entries.

4) No threads built-in. I got mixed feedback on that feature so I backed off for now. At the moment, your diary is standalone and nobody can comment on them.

Sometime soon, I will make the ability for you to view other people's journals. For right now, that's not available. (Edited: this is available now, too)

Dave

Can't wait to try it out... Yippee..

edit begins here took only seconds to start using it... its wonderful.. off to try somemore.. I love that a photo can be added right away. doing a happy dance here in NM

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 11:26 AM

The external view is now complete.

Click on "Journals" in the tab bar at the top of this page.

Then click on "View other garden diaries".

Dave

Well, it'll be ready in a minute, anyway. :)

It's ready now.

http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/

Cute picture, angele. :)

dave

Consider yourself hugged! Not a wimpy hug either, LOL

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Yippee, yippee, yippee!! I've been checking and checking and checking to see when this would be ready, THANK YOU Dave!

Drat! I'm at work now. Maybe I can go home sick... :-)

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

I have been playing and it looks good, but how do I delete tabs?
Good job Dave! You got this going FAST! :~) Thank you.

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Dave, I couldn't get the preview to work just now... but I'm so happy to have the diaries!! Thanks again!!

It's wonderful, Dave!

Request - on the front page, could we have the menus show the entries in each category instead of having to click on a heading first? Or have the listing show up on the front page once a category is clicked?

(((((Thank you!)))))

Great feedback, ya'll.

maggiemoo - I fixed the Preview.

PudgyMudpies and Donna - your request is next.

Dave

PudgyMudpies, you can now delete a tab.

Just go into the tab and, if the tab is empty of entries, you'll have the option to delete the tab.

Dave

Donna,

I don't understand what you are asking for.

Right now, you go to the Diaries main page and you see all the users.

Click on a username.

Then you see all their tabs.

Click on a tab.

Then you see all their entries.

How would you rather see it?

dave

Since a picture is worth a 1,000 words, here goes.

Thumbnail by

If you click on one of those headings, you will see the entries. Also, once you click, you can change headings by clicking in the menu on the right.

Does that help?

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

edited to say never mind, I missed a post that answered the question on deleting tabs from my diary.
thanks

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 12:42 PM

I understand what you're saying, Dave. What I trying to get away from is flipping through pages to find for what I'm looking. Plus, it would help save on your server usage.

BTW I love the menu to the right!! Could you make it bit more narrow so that we have more room for viewing the entry?

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 3:02 PM

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I just played around with it a little and I LOVE it!!! Here's another big (((((HUG))))) coming your way Dave!!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, Dave, just wait 'till you get to the CTRU!

Donna,

I now understand what you are asking for - I'm being a little slow today I guess.

I have updated it to behave the way you suggested. I'm now interested in seeing how folks like it.

Dave

Mine isn't doing it....

Plus my diary's main page now defaults to my 'MIsc' category.

But the formatting of the pages looks great!!!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Maybe it's just because I found my own method in the old journal for creating a diary, but I found the lack of a date field to be an issue. I tested copying some of my April journal over, using the title field for the date. I copied some out of sequence to see if it would reorder it based on alpha-numeric order....nope.

Since it is a diary, I think having a date field would be logical. (I realize not everyone will use it exactly the same way, though. How do most blogs work?)

What Terry said!

That is a good idea, Terry. I will add that feature in later (not today!)

dave

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks! No hurry....

Well, I squeezed it in. Dates are now in. You'll need to edit any entries that you have already created, in order to set the date (hey, it's still beta!!) :)

dave

Lenexa, KS(Zone 6a)

Ok .....I've started working on mine and a couple of thoughts/questions.

Can you delete the Miscellaneous default tab? I see that Terry has only April 2005 as her diary so I'm guessing we can change the name of Miscellaneous or delete it, but I can't figure it out.

Can we have the ability to create sub-tabs or sub-levels within a diary? I created one called Daily Diary and would like to have sub-tabs for each month of the year.

When I was in the Daily Diary view I tried to create a new tab of April 2005 thinking it would be a sub-tab (sort of like sub-categories in the Journal) but it just created a whole new tab called April 2005. Then I went to the Miscellaneous one and clicked on Delete this Tab and it asked if I was sure I wanted to delete the April 2005 tab! It didn't recognize that I was viewing the Miscellenous tab. I then went to the one I created called To Do Items and clicked again on Delete Tab and it again asked if I wanted to delete the April 2005 tab. It's almost like it's "stuck" on the last tab in the list when it comes to deleting tabs.

Is there ANY way we can have the ability to post a photo to an entry AFTER the entry is created? I hate that about our Journals and often copy an entries text to delete it and re-create it with a photo. Adding a pic after the fact would be GREAT!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've started playing with mine, but will have more time later tonight...looks great so far, but I haven't dug very deep yet...so I don't know what else to ask for at this point.

Thanks Dave!!!!!

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I'd like to move a journal entry (with pictures which is why I can't just cut-n-paste) to the diary but I don't see a way to do that. No biggee. I'm okay to keep it in the journal.

Crossville, TN

It's official...It is user friendly 'cause I CAN DO IT!! I'll play some more later....thanks Dave. Jo

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Dave, thanks so much for creating such a fun new feature! :)

I did have the same trouble that Brenda (langbr) had, though. I tried to delete tabs and was repeatedly taken to a different tab for the delete step. For instance, I tried to delete "What's Blooming (Spring)" and the next screen asked if I was sure I wanted to delete "Brainstorming". I could not get the Miscellaneous tab to delete at all w/o deleteing all of my other tabs.

I've been trying to get stuck in the diary, though. Troubleshooting and all that :) This was truly the only problem I ran across. It would be nice if the diary could "remember" what tab we had clicked on when we go to add an entry instead of the user always having to highlight the tab. Like Terry, I moved some journal entries over to the diary and I cannot tell you how many times I pasted something into the wrong tab because I forgot to highlight the one I wanted. I'm too used to the journal's feature of automatically applying things to the tab you're currently working in, I guess. It would be great to click on "Spring 2005" and then "New Entry", knowing that the entry you add will automatically go under the "Spring 2005" tab.

Adding the dates was a fantastic idea. I hadn't taken a look at the journals before you added the dates, but I can tell you that that is HUGE for me :) I'm using the diary mainly to track bloom times and favorite bloom combinations... dates are imperative! LOL -- thanks so so much :)

This message was edited Apr 19, 2005 11:05 PM

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Dave, love the date selection, but every time I select April 12, it posts as April 11. I posted one without changing the date, so it should have read April 19, but read April 18. When I edited it to April 12, it posted as April 11.

Hi Dave,

User error in the Diary?

New entry scenario: After the second entry, under one tab, the date is off by one day even though I did not click in the date selector. Entry was made on April 19th and date selector says April 19th, when the entry is complete and being viewed it says April 18.

Edit Scenario:I was adding a plant list to one entry and went back to make changes 3 times and the date ended up as April 16th. When I put in April 20th while editing it showed up as April 19th when viewing the completed entry.
Maybe I am not supposed to be making so many entries for one day? I have five entries so far today in my brick & mortar tab.
Thank you so much for this new feature... It is absolutely BRILLIANT

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I'm having the problem deleting the tabs too. It always wants to delete the last tab that you've added. Other than that, it's great!!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I would like to be able to move stuff from my regular journal to the diary also...the cornhusk doll instructions for one.

I'm thinking that they would be more accessable in the diary. I've got some weird categories and subs and unless I actually give someone the link to the doll instructions...they'd never find it.....of course this was done back when DG only had one picture per thread and there was no other way to get multiple pictures strung together for the instructions. (prehistoric DG)

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

I just have found my way in my garden journal and it works well for me. The diary is a very nice addition to make notes..just write down whatever I like..it works much more easier. At the moment I think I 'll copy the matters that really have to be listed after evaluation to my journal for the major overlook of my garden matters in years.

Thanks Dave ...you 've done a great job again!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Is the diary going to replace the journal eventually, or will they both be available?

Horn, Netherlands(Zone 8b)

Oh...oh no..PudgyMudpies ...I hope the journal will still be available..As far as I 've understood Dave wanted to make some improvements...and he did !

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

That's my understanding as well. There are those of you who are MUCH more sophisticated and organized than I am, who really have a need for the Journal. I only need what he has so graciously gifted us with.

I love it!! Thanks again, Dave!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Dave,

Another thought. Can we have a "Back to the top" on these, so we don't have to scroll all the way back up? (How tedious!) :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images