Peas are up!

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Thomas Laxton after 17 days.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

.....and Crimson Giant radish after 14 days. Don't you just love spring? ☺

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

.....set out 12 plants of Summertime lettuce today.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

.....and 12 of Buttercrunch.

Thumbnail by Big_Red
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Big Red - Lookin' good! You sure have a lot of good things poppin' up. Keep them pics coming. - Flip

I've got 4 types of radishes this year - here's Back Spanish at ~30 days.

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

....and here's Easter Egg.

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

...and here's Daikon.

Thumbnail by aries44
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

.....and Cherry Belle.

Thumbnail by aries44
Audubon, PA(Zone 6b)

ah, yessss. "Gardening is an exercise in optimism".

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Big Red, I just walked out to look at where I planted my 4 varieties of peas, could only see 2 just showing and that was because the quail had been taking dust baths in the nice soft dirt. That was before we got our nice soft drizzly rain. My soaded seeds were planted 2 weeks ago and I guess i better get busy and cover the area with bird netting or the quail will uncover most of them.

Aries44 I too planted Easter Egg radish seed, they are up nicely. I put a few seeds of Champion radish in a 6" pot in the greenhouse, and a week ago planted them in one of my raised beds they have got nice little radishes that should be large enough to eat in a few days. DonnaS

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

aries44,

I raised Cherry Belle last year but found it got 'woody' fairly quickly, perhaps because I didn't get it in until later.

rutholive,

Mine came up rather spotty, we had heavy downpours 2 days after I planted my peas, water rushed down the row, washed out some and buried others very deep. Then, with this clay soil, the surface kind of 'caked' over. Some are still coming up, we'll see, I may have to replant some.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

My clay will crust up like that too, but they usually will bust through if the crust isn't too thick. Sometimes, when I see some of them declaring I'll water the ground, softening the crust, and they'll come on like gangbusters!

I tend to grow peas in a "broadcast style", that way they grow close together and support each other. It also helps to conserve soil moisture as well as cut down on weed growth. Luv it! (Plus I don't have to put up supports for them to grow up.)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Broadcast style? Now that's something for this "sophomore" veggie gardener to consider, since the veggie garden is now ready to plant for the early shtuff. :)

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Hmmm, I may try that next year Shoe, I fence mine. You don't get much 'bang for the buck' planting them in a single or double row. That's one gripe I've always had about planting peas, not much volume/production out of the space it takes to grow them.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here's the first Easter Egg from the patch

Thumbnail by aries44
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Big Red, that's why I broadcast. One year I sowed 3 pounds of peas; when picking the ones we took the time to weigh came to 79 pounds (before being shelled). Those don't count the ones we just eat fresh in the garden, nibbling on. They are SO sweet when nice and fresh like that.

I actually get so many peas I get tired of picking them.

Also, the peas you are growing (Thomas Laxton) are good peas but they grow taller than the ones I prefer (Laxton's Progess #9). To broadcast you'll need to grow those or something like Little Marvel. I don't care for Little Marvel at all; will always grow #9's. (Heck, I even like just saying the name of them! "Folks, this here pea is the famous Laxton's Progress Number Nine. It's a good'n!") ô¿ô

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I mis-id'd the radish above - it was a Cherry Belle. It and a few of it's friendstasted pretty good in the salad.

The attached group is in fact the first few Easter Eggs. We'll try those tonight.

Flip

Thumbnail by aries44
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Flip,

Lookin' good! Mine are still a couple of weeks off.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oooh! Those are purdy!! Mine are still a couple weeks off as well..... now I'm more eager than ever to see what colors I get! I really love that purple one!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Red and critter - can't wait to see yours (and the rest of the good things you're growin' this season). I liked these better than the Cherry Belles. I should have some pics of the other two varieties (Black Spanish and Daikon) soon. - Flip

Richfield, UT(Zone 5b)

YEAH!

Mine are starting to pop through as well.....Can't wait to eat them.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

yup.... nothing like a radish sandwich, crispy radishes sliced thin and folded in a piece of buttered bread...... yum!!

Victorville, CA

Red- Thanks for this post! I planted sugar snap peas a week ago and I expected to see them starting to peek through the soil this weekend but no sign of them yet. The package said 7-10 days so I'm probably pushing things a bit. Your Laxton #9's are they shelly peas? Maybe I'll do a fall crop of shellies.
Haven't got the radishes in yet.
-Juli

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Juli,

It usually takes a week and a half or two weeks for peas to break ground so be patient, post some pictures when they start to show.

Yes, these are shell peas, they're Thomas Laxton and not Laxton #9 as Shoe described in an earlier post, I'm going to try these next year. Maybe they're a better pea, Shoe sure likes them!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Here's the first couple of Daikon radishes from the patch. First time I've tried these. The taste test is tonight. - Flip

Thumbnail by aries44
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Have not seen any new radish pictures in the Plantfiles!

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

F Dill - I would be super happy to put my pics in the Plantfiles. I'd really like to participate. Under which heading would these go as I don't see a radish grouping? I haven't posted a pic here yet at DG. Thx, Flip

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/b/Brassicaceae/Raphanus/sativus/cultivar/0 There are 38 cultivars already in the database, so chances are you want have to deal with anything more than the cultivar name. If you do have an unlisted cultivar, just copy and paste the latin names from an existing cultivar in to the appropriate balnks on the add a plant page. I usually keep three screen up which makes it easy to do. Should you need to find the above page from scratch, Just click on the green search bar. Type radish in the common name blank. Then when the page comes up pick out a radish type that you have, click on it, when the detail screen for that cultivar comes up click on the species. That brings all radishes of that type up in alpahbetical order.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

For those of you who don't browse the plantsfiles, Early Alaska's on April 15. They now have pods.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

F Dill - Thanks for the info. I entered my first plant and a couple of plantfile pics. - Flip

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Those are some purty plants, Farmer! When did you get your seeds in the ground?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Valentines's day.

Victorville, CA

Wee Hoo! I've got a snap pea up^ It took me all morning to figure out how to post this pic.
-Juli

Thumbnail by Juli64

Spokane Valley checking in with Little Marvel seedlings, nine days after sowing! And yes, I've already submitted a version of this for consideration in the PlantFiles. :)

Donna

This message was edited Apr 28, 2005 2:08 PM

Thumbnail by TuttiFrutti
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My 'Sugar Lace II' seedlings are only an inch high, but my 'Super Sugar Snaps' are 3 or 4 inches high. No picture (yet), but so far they pretty much look like any pea seedling. When those sugar snap peas get 6 feet tall and are loaded with pods, *then* I will add a photo to the PlantFiles!

Point well taken about pea seedling pics... lol... but it could be helpful if you've never seen one at all. ;)

Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

Well... Diakons... I have never grown them either but having lived in Korea I can tell you they are usually harvested when the size of a Zucchini or even a LARGE zucchini. I have some growing here and some Peas as well...

Drew

Thumbnail by Drew_N_Corinn
Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6b)

They Pickle them... Not like Kimche but they are used sliced into long 1/4 inch strips in Kimche with the Cabbage.

Drew

Oh here are the Peas as of today...

Thumbnail by Drew_N_Corinn

Now that raised bed looks absolutely yummy!!! Is that deep enough for a zucchini-sized Daikon radish, or won't they stay in long enough before you munch down on 'em? :)

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Here's my Thomas Laxton @ 30 days from seed.

Thumbnail by Big_Red

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.