Birdsters! April is upon usIt's time to post our 'Firsts'!

Modi'in, Israel

What a cool shot Magpye! How fun! :-)

-Julie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I probably would have bought an albino claim.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Maypye, looks like a once in a lifetime shot! You have a picture of an albino (hee).
Lucky woman!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Magpye--great camera technique!

I thought you had a really white dove to report until I read the post...t.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

ummmhmmm .. 'technique', tabasco - that's it !! .. LOL ..

Jes kindly tickled, that you guys have enjoyed my 'accident' ! .. hee ..
(*huggerooners*)

- Magpye

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Neat shot Magpie!
Tabasco, No RH woodpecker here yet, I seen one in the yard several years ago and have not seen one around since, I guess he was just passing through.
here 2 more pics showing that the Nuthatch now has 7 eggs that can be seen
http://www.wtv-zone.com/irislynx/cam-pics/sev-eggs.jpg
http://www.wtv-zone.com/irislynx/cam-pics/sev-eggs2.jpg

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Makes me smile, ;)

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Magpye, what a great shot of a very unusual hummer. Hope it stays around for you

DonnaS

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

The bluebird pair are still here but are very wary of me. So far haven't been able to get a shot of them. I have to get a ladder to look into their nest and haven't done that yet.

I did finally get picture of one of the White Crowned Sparrows, They will be leaving soon, they only stay about a month. I have my 2" high pea vines covered with chicken wire to keep both the White Crowns and the quail out of them.

DonnaS

Thumbnail by rutholive
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Donna, nice shot of the white crowned. I had one here in the dead of winter for about a week. He left now. Do they eat pea vines, or just the flowers on them? What was your experience?

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Well, I'm back from NY state and PA. Here was the main theme: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/502953/. But! a chunk of our road trip was about birdies. Here are what we saw: pied billed grebes, tree swallows, coots, common moorhen, blue winged teals, canvasback ducks, greater scaup, belted kingfishers, ring necked ducks, buffleheads, american wigeon, surf scoters!!, river otter!!, ruddy ducks, shovellers!!, great blue herons, royal terns, osprey, harrier, mute swans, muskrats, eastern phoebes, downy, hairy wps, and flickers plus all the usual suspects (a million canada geeses, robins, cardinals, song sparrows, bluejays, crows, boat tailed grackles, starlings, etc). Let's see what I have pics of. Ring necked.

Thumbnail by boojum

Oops! Pic so small-that's a green winged teal! Here's a nice photo of a red wing.

Thumbnail by boojum

I think these are the ring necked (hard for me to tell from my thumbnails) with a canvas back (red head).

Thumbnail by boojum

That bird behind the floating board is a coot. Here's a northern shoveller. I don't see them that often so I was very happy to see his oversized bill.

Thumbnail by boojum

American wigeon.

Thumbnail by boojum

I got a bit crazy with the swan. He/she was very close and seemed tame. but I stopped taking pictures when I stepped too close for comfort and she/he hissed at me. I apologized and left.

Thumbnail by boojum

Cute mallards.

Thumbnail by boojum

Osprey.

Thumbnail by boojum

Wish I could have gotten that surf scoter. Here's a kestrel, too.

Thumbnail by boojum
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I got to see several turkey vultures cleaning up road prey on my trip to GA and back. Does that count? LOL.

Counts with me!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Wellllll .. my short lil report .. consists of finally seeing the leary Blue Grosbeak, comin' to the 'alligator' log feeder (always on the opposite side from the camera, of course).

Along with what I'd long been hearing over the last several days .. calling, just beyond the immediate 'yard': the Rose Breasted Grosbeaks are definitely here! Finally spotted one of the males a couple of days ago, and earlier this morning three males in the flat feeder! These fellers are even more leary than the Blue Grosbeaks, for a good while .. But they'll eventually increase their male numbers, then the females will show up .. The Grosbeaks and the Indigo Buntings are some of the most elusive lil winged vermin! But, they're here, and do come to the feeders.

In the past 4 - 5 years, there's usually been about a dozen 'pair'(?) .. that eventually come in and feed. The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks relax jes a bit, after a lil while .. enuff so, that I can sit on the porch very still .. and they'll come in to feed. However, will bee-line to the nearest tree quickly if a sudden movement or racket is made - but just as quickly return to the feeders. Certainly lookin' forward to getting more pics of these beauties ...

Tabasco ... you know I'm chompin' at the bit .. in hopes of being graced by another visit of the Red-headed Woodpecker this year! But, I haint gonna be hold my breath awaitin' tho' ... (hee) They are some mitey handsome fellers, fer sure.

- Magpye

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Had a wild turkey walk out in front of my car this morning while pulling out of the driveway. First one I've seen this spring...very elegant lady turkey, I think.

No interesting migrators yet--not even an HB and I have all my feeders up and ready...beautiful photography boojum, and magpye thanks for letting us know the Grosbeaks are on their way (I hope)...After last weekend's weather, I'm not sure Spring will ever really come! t.

I think rose breasted grosbeaks are the most beautiful bird. We have them here for about one day and then they are gone. I don't keep feeders out in summer because of the bears!

On Sunday there was a wild turkey standing in my stair garden slurping up worms! I saw him through the picture window and he saw me too. I froze thinking maybe I could get my camera, but it was too late-he took off at a rapid walk to the back of the property.

If I had a pic to show he would have been standing in this pic.

Thumbnail by boojum
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

A slurping turkey would have been a sight to see.

Modi'in, Israel

Boojum, terrific variety and lovely photos! I especially like the red-wing! He's got character! :-)

-Julie

Thanks Julie. I always enjoy your photos as well!!!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I gots one of 'em, by crackity !! ..

Earlier this afternoon ... this feller musta finally accept'd that I twernt gonna go away any time soon .. and took himseff a 'sat down'!

I jes figger he musta been gettin' a mite bit 'hongry' fer another fetchin' o'them d-lishus sunflower seeds! .. hee

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks' rosey breast .. seem to be a bit on the 'dull' side yet. (hee) Don't seem to be any where near as bright a red. Heck, maybe he's still somewhat of a juvey, for all I know ..

Guess too, that their bright/vivid breeding colors may still be comin' on, so-to-speak ... For I notice that the majority of the American Goldfinch males, are still lookin' purtee shabby also, but are gettin' there! These po' lil fellers are lookin' some gosh-awful wretched . . .

Here's another pic .. of the Rose-breasted Grosbeak male, along with an American Goldfinch male and a Pine Siskin ...

- Magpye

Thumbnail by Magpye

Such a handsome bird no matter the brightness!

Modi'in, Israel

Pretty bird and a lovely couple of shots of him and his friends too :-)

-Julie

Modi'in, Israel

A few days ago (sorry, I know, I know I should have reported this earlier LOL), I had the honor of having a Hoopoe Upupa epops (yes, his Latin name is even funnier than his common name) visit my garden. This was the first time I've seen them in the garden, although I have seen them in the parks and on hikes. Such cute birds :-)

-Julie

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ah,Magpye, I never saw a rose breasted grosbeak. What a nice shot. Our goldfinches are having "dogfights".

Thumbnail by se_eds
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

I think there were 6 males and two females at the feeder beating the stuffin's out of each other.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Donna, What a pretty little sparrow, another new one for me.

Boojum, Great pictures! The one of theRed Winged Blackbird is a particularly wonderful!

Magpye, what a pretty little bird. I can see why its arrival was so eagerly anticipated.

LOL Se_eds! Our mockers tend to clash. We'll see some scuffle alongside the driveway and it is almost always them.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

The Eastern Kingbirds have arrived in Maryland, from South America. They are rather easy to photograph once you find one. This is the first one that I have seen in 2005.

I also saw my first hummingbird this afternoon, at my feeders.

Thumbnail by linthicum

Although I have seen a Killdeer earlier in the month, this is the first one that I have seen on a nest.

Look closely and you will see three (3) eggs ....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Here is a photo of a Carolina Wren that is sitting on a nest built within a cardboard Pizza (Sausage) box located in my shed. I was unaware of it until I opened the door to get my lawnmower.

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, what is in the nest .... five (5) speckled eggs.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Now THAT is a great shot of a killdeer :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.