Birdsters! April is upon usIt's time to post our 'Firsts'!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

My goodness what great bird pictures. Darius you are lucky to get a hummingbird shot like that.
I have been gardening night and day it seems. The trees are in bloom and bird shots are harder to get. Did get a more detailed one of this little red bird.

I'm glad to learn about all the different types of sparrows. People see them and think they are all English sparrows and they're not! I am hearing some beautiful birdie trills and songs.

Every bird has a mouthful of my poodle's hair from her haircut. They are carrying apricot colored puffballs. LOL

Thumbnail by se_eds
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

se_eds, I put out one of those "woolies" for nest building fiber but the sparrows and chickadees continually pull tiny fibers from a roll of scrap Enka-drain (poly fabric with coils bonded to it) that's stored up against the wall outside. They have been pulling fibers about 2 weeks now. I wish I could get a good shot of one with a mouthful. The screen is in the way so it would not be a good photo, plus the windows have an oily film from the propane heater.

My hummer shot pales by comparison to all the one's Magpye has posted elsewhere. Must be nice to be three feet away and have a good camera. : )

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

darius .. I thank you greatly for your 'compliment' .. but your hummer pics are wonderful!

And I too, have always enjoyed being able to view all of the pics you opt to share and post; the hummers, other birds and critters, nest materials, your feeders, and your countryside there !!!

Jes wish more folks would post a ton more pitters .. !! .. hee

- Magpye

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Well, Magpye, I can tell by your photos, that you know the reason more aren't posted.
It takes time.
I got a new monopod, mainly to use in the car. Birds aren't afraid of cars and you can shoot out the window. I have the old problem with tremor, so I find I can stick the monopod inside the door between the frame and the seat, roll down the window and can have a stable base for the camera. Amazing what you learn how to do, when you gotta. Just got to turn the engine off - too much vibration in my old Ford Focus. LOL

Seriously, you photographers who can do these great hand held shots are blessed. I have some back muscles which were compromised in my childhood and the only side effect is the hand held tremor. I consider myself lucky.

And, as always, will find a way around it.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

This morning I was able to get a fairly decent photo of a White-eyed Vireo. To the best of my knowledge, this is a lifetime first. They are not the easiest bird to see now that the leaves are starting to come out.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Great shot, linthicum!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Great shots everyone! Darius, I enjoyed the shots of that hummer, I put a feeder out but still haven't gotten a hummer yet ( Could have sworn I heard one though!) Great shot of that Vireo lithicum!
Se-eds, You'll have to keep an eye on where the birds are taking your offerings, Maybe you can find and take a pic of the 'Poodle Nest' LOL!
Magpye, Always great pictures!

.....Well, Today was a really special day for me, It seems like all different birds came in at the same time! I have Bluebirds (They were here before today, And have already built there nest) I had 3 Purple Martins come in Saturday, But, I didn't have there houses up yet, I was so dissapointed!! (I now have the houses up and ready!) I had tree swallows come in today, 1 Cowbird, And a bird started nesting on the arbor, But, I don't think I have ever seen this bird before ( I'm adding some pics, So if anyone knows what this bird is please let me know)
They were all flying around the yard today, The Bluebirds, The Tree swallows, The Robins, ect., When there is more then one pair of these different birds, It's really something to watch!! The bird that is making the nest on the arbor does not seem like a skitsy bird at all, I wish I knew what kind of bird it is.
I have been keeping close watch on the Nuthatches nest and noticed that there was 3 eggs Sunday morning at 7 am when I checked again at 9, The 3 eggs where gone!! I was so upset, I thought something had gotten in the nestbox and took the eggs, But as I kept watching through the day, I noticed she was very protective of her nest, If a different bird was by the entrance hole, She would stab at them feroushisly (sp) with her beak! So I thought that maybe she hid them within the nest, And upon checking while she was out of the box, I found that was exactly what she did! So happy to report that there are eggs in the nest!!! I'll be posting pictures when they hatch!
Here is a pic of one of the pairs of tree swallows that came in today....

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

The bird thats building it's nest on the arbor..Anyone have any ideas what kind it is?

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Another shot...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

One more..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

LOve to see all the different bird shots. I don't seem to be very good at taking bird shots. the bluebirds are making a nest in the box that was put up for them last year. so I think this pair will stay. I've also seen a pair of tree swallows but don;t think they have made a choice.

Linthicum your photo of the white Eyed Vireo is great, you take such good pictures. DonnaS

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Tree swallow at one of the nestboxes, They were checkng out all of the nestboxes most of the morning and early afternoon!

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Bluebird....

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Bluebird on house..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Robin , Some of them were fighting like crazy today!

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Ruth, I hope your nesting pair of bluebirds decides to stay ( I bet they will! :)
The tree swallows I got in today haven't seemed to make a choice either, They are just checking out 'all' the bird houses. I look forward to seeing what the future weeks bring, In my yard, And everyone elses on this forum!!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Iris, we have all been waiting to see what kind of birds would help themselves to your nest box offerings. Great that you have posted these photos. Aren't the tree swallows pretty?

I found one of our bird boxes (which houses sparrows), is now fur-lined! Reminds me of the times - way back when - when people lined the inside of their cars and vans with imitation fur fabric! LOL

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Se-eds, Yes, The tree swallows 'are' very pretty! The 'imitation fur fabric' goes back a ways, It's funny how material in a nest can remind us of times past, When I think about it, It seems like soooo many years ago LOL!
You'll have to make sure to keep an eye on that box and see whats bringing the fur! I had one nest box lined with fur all around the top of the nest, I found it was a Downy Woodpecker that was using it.
So far, I have Bluebirds, Nuthatches and Wrens using the nestboxes ( Squirrels too in the bigger ones) Tree Swallows checking the boxes out and a Robin who has finished her nest bettween last night and this morning ( Now thats fast building!) Also know now that it was the robins neston the arbor and not the 'unknown bird', But the unknown keeps coming around and I'm pretty sure it's going to net close by, Well, Off to do some work outside and see what today brings, Let us know what you see going to your bird box, I'm interested in knowing, It's always exciting to figure out who's nesting where!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

The unknown bird around the robins nest maybe a cow bird, hoping to lay in the robins nest. I hope not. :-(

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-( for the robin :-) for the cow bird.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

It could be, But I really dont think it is (Hope not anyway)
IW2D, I think you wrote your smiles backwards LOL!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I was just checking the cam, And the male Nuthatch was feeding the female and you can see some of the eggs below her...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Well, imway2dumb!

Modi'in, Israel

What a nice shot Linth! I've never even HEARD of that bird before LOL.

Iris, great variety! Congratulations! And how cool about that nest! I had no idea such little birds laid so many eggs! That's 5 that I can see and you say "some" .... how many more does she have in there????

-Julie

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

tabasco, how neat to see an eaglet!

Linthicum, Love the sign. We could use a bunch of those around our area, we have lots of neighborhood lakes. And a white eyed Vireo too! I've only had the pleasure of seeing one, once, in the retention area outside the office. I took a quick picture of a bird and that's what it was!

Donut, how neat to have hummers right outside your window!

Se_eds, that must have been quite a sight!

Iris, I love seeing your pictures. Most of the birds you share with us don't live here. I'd love to have a nest box camera like yours but I'm afraid I'd never get anything done! LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

By that reasoning I can justify getting one! I don't get much done anyway.

Modi'in, Israel

ROTFL!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Salvia-lover, Well heres another pic showing 6 eggs and there were at least 3 that she hid under the nesting material, So I'd have to say there's at least nine eggs! :) ~ I feel so bad for her right now, It's unseasonably hot here today and she's panting in the box with her beak open, I can't wait for evening to get here so it will be cooler for her! It's 90's right now, Suppose to be 50's this weekend, I look forward to the cooler temps this weekend as Im sure the nesters could use a break from this unusual heat!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/irislynx/cam-pics/nesteggs-2.jpg

Thanks Floridian, I feel you and IW2D would have a hard time getting things done with the cam, It's like everytime I come in the house or see something by the nest, I have to run and check out the cam and see whats going on!! It's just so hard to resist watching when you can see whats going on inside then box! LOL!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Your in the 90s and I have 72? Whats up with that? I protest!

Whooooeee! Saw an Indigo Bunting today, briefly at the suet feeders. Have camera ready but no return visits.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Keep your camera near, darius. I have never seen one in person. Lucky, lucky you!!

John, this is only the second time in 5+ years I have seen one in this general area. They usually are just passing through...

They are fantastically brightly colored. I've had the window open (better visibility) and camera ready, but so far, no show.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

IW2D, You can have the 90's anytime, I hate it!! Too bad we couldn't trade, I'd love to have the 72 degree's instead!
..Darius, Sure hope the bunting comes back and you get a picture!! I've never seen one here yet! I know of people around my area who have been lucky enough to see one, But I'm not one of them, But sure hope 'you' are! They are such a gorgeous bird!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

We will trade later this summer, IRIS!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

I'd love to have between 70-80 all summer long, That would be the perfect weather for me!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yep, as long as the humidity is low too.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Yes, That too! :)

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Indigo Bunting for darius. Very neat. I have seen pictures of the IB in the birdbook and was hoping to see one--they must be rare if darius hasn't seen one for 5 years!

IRIS has lots of good springtime activity around her place--bluebirds, purple martins, and lots of nesting. And linth has a white-eyed vireo--very interesting...

Has anyone else seen a Red Headed Woodpecker yet? They must be rarer than I thought if no one has reported one yet...

Keep posting...love the pics. t.

t, the Indigo Bunting hasn't been back. Must have just been passing through, as I suspected. The last time I saw one several years ago was almost the same scenario... saw them for a few minutes then poof! They must be common someplace but it sure isn't here. I've just had 3 sightings in the 15 years I've lived in this general area, and all 3 were brief.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Just the other day .. the ol coot mentioned to me, that he'd seen "a few of them lil blue birds" at the feeder.
We then confirmed that it was - the lil Indigos are back.

They're very elusive for the first lil while, and then the gals appear and come on in the feeders in lil droves! .. hee .. The females don't seem to be near as wary as the males continue to be ... It's been our experience here, that compared to other feeder birds .. the Indigo's remain much more wary ...

Darius .. I sure hope that this year may be the year, that you are able to gaze out your windows and see plenty more of them .. jes sorta 'hanging back' in the trees .. waiting the moment that they can fly down and feed heartily!

Also .. have another 1st, for me .. in more ways than one! hah! .. This feller was either a white one, or a spooky 'ghost' Ruby-Throated male!!

Nawwww, seriously now ... (*good giggles here*) .. The hummers had already found the feeders, after I'd taken them down from the hangers and sat them on top of the porch banisters. I was propped up comfy, against one of the porch posts .. anxious for the hummers to come back. Sure nuff .. there was one that sat down, when another dive-bombed him .. and then they decided to 'fence' a bit!

In mere moments, their rivalry escalated to such extremes .. that one male darted over right in front of, and so close to, my camera lens - that he was washed mitey bright, by my cameras flash. So close, in fact .. that if I'd've not had my camera in my face - I'd have surely been eating hummer tail feathers and inhaled engine exhaust! .. *hee* ..

You can see the other male up a lil higher in the pic .. flashin' his declaration of 'ruler of the roost'.

- Magpye

This message was edited Apr 21, 2005 12:38 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.