Botany Quiz: What's an herb?

There are a total of 331 votes:

Any plant grown for medicinal, aromatic, pesticide, culinary or dye properties
(270 votes, 81%)
Red dot

An annual or tender perennial plant that is unable to withstand freezing temperatures
(7 votes, 2%)
Red dot

A small, seed-bearing plant with non-woody stems and branches
(41 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Other?
(13 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Hey, at least two of those answers are correct! One by definition, one by common usage.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Kathleen, one of the answers takes precedents over the other.

John

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I voted for the first one but like to think of herbs as an edible fragrant plant and hate to think of them as pesticides. YUCK

Lochbuie, CO(Zone 5b)

I was thinking herb as in "herbaceous", opposite of woody (?) So I voted for #3, although small is a relative term, I guess :-) -Christie

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted other because all 3 of the "other" definitions are at least partially correct.

Timberlea, NS(Zone 6a)

I voted for #3. I don't know if it's the right one, though! (?)

Kennewick, WA(Zone 6b)

I voted for #1.

Back of Beyond, TX(Zone 8b)

The definition just appeared n the latst ish of Herb Companion

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Well, I chose #1 - doesn't rosemary have woody branches? And I know some are very hardy perennials.

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Hmm, I choose 3, because just because it's grown for medicinal use, does that always make it an herb? I was guessing.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

You don't get to ask questions during a quiz! LOL

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

John, you're no fun! LOL

I chose 3, by the way, being of a "definition" turn of mind

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

So did I.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hmm......I chose "other", only because I think they're all right. This seems to be borne out by our own Garden Terms definition as well.

There was no mention of precedence of one definition over another, in either the quiz or the Garden Terms.

Shannon

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't think #1 meant that all plants grown for medicinal purposes are herbs, but that herbs are generally medicinal. Kind of like all polar bears are bears, but not all bears are polar bears. I chose #1 :)

Aurora, TX(Zone 8a)

I DIG these little quizzes.......good stuff. And, I got it right. =)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

hmmm, I voted #1 because I definately wouldn't consider some herbs to be either annuals or tender and I think of several as being woody, like rosemary, lavender, sage, mint, bay leaves (or trees)

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

It's #1 for sure.I have about 10 Herb books,LOL.Jody

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I chose # 1 by eliminating the other two choices also. A lot of herbs are cold hardy and woody.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The word "herb" has more than one meaning. The Wordsworth Dictionary of Botany, for example, defines it as "a plant having no persistent parts above the ground". Our own Garden Terms defines it as "a seed-producing annual, biennial, or perennial that dies to the ground at the end of a growing season", and as "a plant valued for its medicinal, savory, or aromatic qualities."

So, it doesn't look like any of our three choices can be ruled out. :-)

Shannon

Brisbane, Australia

I chose #1 ..........for obvoius reasons (look at my user name) :)

Arn't these little quiz's just great for getting the mind going?

A "herb" in the "Home" sense describes a plant that can be used for many household reasons. Being either Culinary, Medicinal, Aromatherapy,Pesticide (insect repelllent sounds so much nicer don't you think?),Dye,Clothing (Hemp) ,etc.

The term for a soft, tender stemed plant that becomes dormant at certain times of the year is refered to as "Herbaceous". Many a confused person I have come across with this word.
There are also many, many, many plants with which we would not associate the term "Herb" with, which are in fact a herb somewhere in this world.
This could be a topic of debate for a long time.

time to lie dormant for a while.....
.......Herbaceously yours.................Noel :-)

Sioux City, IA(Zone 4b)

In my mind #2 & #3 exclude what a herb can be and are incorrect. Two examples in my small (and definately frozen) garden; lemon balm, it is "tender" and you know that I see it year after year, and a lavender plant, which is a woody perrenial. #1 is a great definition of all the things a herb CAN be.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Culinary, Medicinal, etc, definition can fit any plant. So when you get right down to it, any plant is an herb.
I voted #1.
Bernie

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I have doubts about my answer now. :-|

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Gee Herbynoel, if someone has a different opinion, it doesn't necessarily mean they're confused! :-)

Who am I to say that someone else's definition is invalid - especially if it's in botanical dictionaries and our own Garden Terms....

I think the great thing about this particular quiz is to demonstrate the validity of many possible interpretations of the word. Thanks for another great one, DG!

Shannon

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I think our discussion points out that there are a variety of reference materials out there and that they may be in conflict at times.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

FYI -
Herbaceous is not about dormancy as much as it is about the lack of woody growth above the ground. Annuals, biennials and bulbs can be herbaceous as well as perennials.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Herb and herbaceous are different words entirely.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hmmm.....what are the first four letters of "herbaceous"? ;-)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Almost entirely?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

LOL! :-)

Here's what the Canadian Oxford has to say on the matter:

Herb, definition #1: any non-woody seed-bearing plant which dies down to the ground after flowering.

Herb, definition #2: any plant with leaves, seeds or flowers used for flavouring, food, medicine, scent, etc.

Herbaceous, definition #1: of or like herbs (see Herb, definition #1)

Herbaceous, definition #2: not woody or not having a woody stem

Going by this, herb and herbaceous are definitely related. Not necessarily in the medicinal sense - although there's no evidence that that can be definitively ruled out either. We weren't asked to answer the question in a "home" sense or a "medicinal" sense specifically. Therefore, IMHO, none of the three quiz options can be ruled out. I would have chosen "all of the above".

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

In my mind (?) is the use of the word in the verse quoted by Dave in the newsletter. It seems to me that in that context it implies all the earths vegetation. This may end up in the courts if don't like the answer! LOL

How do we find out the true answer? For the record I voted #3.

Joseph

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

We wait.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I think so far we've found that there is not necessarily any "true" answer... which means that this was a great quiz question, IMO! :-)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I don't understand what's going on here. This is a simple question with one answer, which is # 1. There isn't any guessing about it. A herb could be # 2 or # 3, but it's not asking what it could be, it's asking exactly what is a herb.
Bernie

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

actually #1 might be the one answer that is wrong because there are plants grown for the listed uses that are NOT herbs. Trees,roses and molds come to mind and that answer says ANY plant grown for such uses (is an herb)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

My favorite Herbs are:
thyme, small leaves, woody stems for cock au vin if nothing else.
basil, fleshy green leaves soft and hard stems. Great with any tomato. dill almost like a fern, wispy, soft strands of folage.
Marjoram. crush and rub seeds on clean skin for great fragrance, like Aramis for men.
Bay leaf make stews, soup, spagetti sauce, the chicken above and many other dishes finished.
Oregano spells Italian and is soft and hard stemed.
Fodder for thought,
Sidney
Sidney

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Herb: 1. "any non-woody seed-bearing plant which dies down to the ground after flowering."
2. "any plant with leaves, seeds or flowers used for flavouring, food, medicine, scent, etc."

That's straight from the pages of Oxford. Canadian Oxford, mind you....so maybe it's a regional thing ;-) We've been snowed under so long this winter that I probably wouldn't recognize a herb if it whacked me on the nose! lol

I'm gratified that the vast majority of us are willing to respect each other's opinions, and also acknowledge that it might not be black-and-white, or might not be limited to only one answer. If I may take liberties with an existing saying about life, "DG Botany Quizzes are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be experienced." lol

I'll make ya a deal, Bernie: I'll agree with you that #1 is the more common definition, if you consider that #2 and/or #3 might have some relevance too. How about it?

Shannon

Edited to turn negativity into positivity...if that's a word.... :-)

This message was edited Mar 23, 2005 8:46 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.