Hibiscus Coop/Show and Tell

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

OOhhh, those are nice. I ordered buckeye colors, but not ocean spray. Now I want all of them!

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Thanks. I ordered only 7, what a dummy I am!!!!
Everytime someone posts a picture, I think, I should've gotten that one!!! Maybe next time.....

Lakeland, FL

Hello, All mine are doing great to! I just put mine in the ground and wowser-- off they go. I will send pics in a few days.Marilynne in- Lakeland, Fl.

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

I ordered 18 ! They are all in 1 gal pots right now. I hope they will be okay till I get moved & get them into bigger pots! This is the greenhouse I am getting in Ga.

Thumbnail by Melba_Ga
(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Gagalinfl I have seen those GH's, I beleive Sam's has one sitting on display in our store in Wichita. If it isn't the same it is real close to it. I do love it, I know you will really enjoy it a lot.

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

2pugdogs, yes Sam's is the place!My SIL bought one also. We will be happy gardeners this winter!

You sure will be happy gardeners. Every time I go to Sam's I go into theres and wonder around pretending it is sitting in my back yard. I haven't completely given up on my DH, he still might give in and let me get one.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone, here is a picture of my first "Antique Treasure" bloom! It is awesome, different for sure!
Thanks again Carol and Donna.
Rose_petalzz

Thumbnail by rose_petalzz

A very beautiful bloom.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one dreaming of that GH!!! The first time I saw it, I was with my DH, and I really thought he might say---lets save up for it, but alas NO. he thought it was great, but said and where are we supposed to put it??? You have too many plants, no room!!! Oh well I can dream. Lucky you who got one, happy gardening all!!!! I can pretend I have one, my little makeshift works just fine for me!!!! I am envious a bit though, LOL!!!

Lakeland, FL

Here ya go, My third bloom. Love the liners. Marilynne

Thumbnail by corky59
surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Well I guess I'm hooked!Carol & Donna you did a good job.My first bloom from Aztecz sun opened and I'm in love.It has 5 more fat blooms. the other two that I got are far behind but I'm sure they will catch up.If I can get them thru the winter I'll be ordering alot more.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Mine looked great when they came but I must say they have not done much since. Maybe I have them in the wrong dirt. What soil are you guys using that makes them flourish? I have always been bad with hibiscus for some reason. They hate me.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Kell,

I use Scott's rooting formula potting soil. In the first potting I put bone meal in the soil. So far so good. Mine were delivered in the first "wave" so I have had them for a while. Just the other day I found their roots were coming through the holes in the bottom of the pots!!!! Goody, potem UP time. So now they are all in gallons with a hit of Blooming Bush fertilizer, 8-4-8. They have also, finally spent the past month outside under the sky, half day of sun.

I have 2 Ocean Spray's and a Heaven's Peace blooming today. Here's the Ocean Spray. We've had a lot of hard rain today, the other 2 are a bit beaten down.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is 'Heaven's Peace'. The large double flower is very heavy!

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron

Lovely, Toxi, can't wait til I get a full bloom on mine now!!

Long Beach, MS(Zone 8b)

I adore this nightfire.

Thumbnail by RubaInMS
Long Beach, MS(Zone 8b)

All the pictures are so beautiful.

Donna, please oh please do this one again next year! I want every one that is posted.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Molly, your picture of Ocean Spray is breathtaking! I just love it with the light rain on it. My first bloom on Ocean Spray was this past weekend. I think it will be beautiful with many blooms on it.

Thumbnail by Brinda

Thank you Brinda, I hope my Heaven's Peace looks good on next bloom.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Molly, hope your Heaven's Peace is nice for you. Mine had a bit more yellow on the edges than the picture shows. I used a flash.
Did anyone actually pinch theirs back 2 or 3 times to make the plant bushy? I finally pinched a couple of mine after they bloomed, but I just could not remove all those promising buds! Almost every one has loads of buds, even if they are just one-stemmed plants for now. This is so much fun!

Toxi,

No I did not pinch the flowers back at all. I did, however, pinch back 2 new leaves on the top of the plants, twice. This was to encourage bushier growth.

I think on some I may need to pinch the top leaves back again. The see a bit skinny.

Molly

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Molly, for the advice....I will try to do the right thing and pinch them back just a teeny bit.

UPDATE:
Here is a picture of my Hibiscus Rock Garden. In the front in the green and clay colored pots are my Hibiscus that I got from the Co-op. I finally got them all harden up to be in the sun full time. They don't seem to be blooming as much as I would like. But of course I am a very impatient person when it comes to flowers blooming. But it is sure early in the summer. I can't wait to have all my Hibiscus blooming so I can set on the patio and just enjoy. I think there is about a total of 33 tropicals out there. Then I have my braided tree on the patio she is blooming her fool head off. Of yes I have 15 hardy ones planted and 2 Rose of Sharon. I am ready for the blooms.

Linda

This message was edited Jun 2, 2005 8:07 AM

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Linda, I see you have yours in the bigger pots now too. Goody!!!!

Molly

Lakeland, FL

Well, It looks to me that ya'all could tell me mine was purdy to!.I have nightfire also. Molly, we got the rain to! my triple dat. is on the ground. Out of my five liners I have two growing good and blooming-- and three catching up. All Have bloomed tho. Marilynne

Corky yours are lovely, but I only saw 2 pics. And, I think that is quite enough rain, thank you very much!

Molly

Lakeland, FL

Hi, I am sending you more rain haha. Geeze we have had enuff. If your not nice to me my puppy will bite you. Lucy is a real killer ha ha. I don't think she would bite a biskit ya know? xoxoxo me to all, Stay dry.

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

I am sooooo jealous of all of you with blooms!! NONE of mine are blooming yet--in fact do not seem to be growing much. Antique Treasure doesn't even have any leaves!!! Could be dead far as I can tell!! I thought at least 2 that I bought were supposed to be fast growers but they are all pretty slow in my book. Here it is June in SC and not a single bloom yet??!! But then we have also been 15-20 degrees below norm this year and a LOT more rain than normal too. Might be a factor!! These need sunshine as much as rain!!! hehehe Congrats to the rest of you though!! Very nice!!

Bonnie

Lakeland, FL

Hello from: Swampland USA. So what are you guys using for bugs on Hibiscuses? I have a rose spray mixture but- It is pretty strong. any suggestions? Marilynne

This message was edited Jun 4, 2005 4:24 PM

Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

This is Jim Berry that I got from Donna's coop. It is a beauty.

Thumbnail by stetchworth
Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

I really like this one from the coop, 'Erin Rachael':

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron
Long Beach, MS(Zone 8b)

That Erin Rachel looks exactly like my Petra! Maybe one of us misused a label. I had two of Petra and both have bloomed and both look like your picture. See my post of May 5. Whatever, they are georgeous. Wish I had gotten more and hope this coop is repeated.

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I just read this on the original co-op thread

Petra is a sport of Erin Rachael. The bloom begins the day the same colors as Erin but as the day progresses, the bloom changes to yellow where the orange was.

so funny that I should remember where I saw it
I'm so proud of myself...LOL
(ignore me)

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

RubalnMS, Yes, the Petra you posted does indeed look like the Erin Rachael. I ordered both, but my Petra has not bloomed yet. It will be interesting to compare them side by side later on. I will try to get a picture if/when it happens.

Crestedchik....I also remember reading that Petra is a sport of Erin Rachael, but I doubt if I would have ever found the statement again! Thanks!

Long Beach, MS(Zone 8b)

Crestedchik - I applaud you on your memory or organization - whichever! Extrodinary!

I had to move all my coop Hibiscus off the patio, I have 4 new baby kitties that has started coming out to play and they were getting in the pots and playing hide and seek in my plants. So I put them on the table. After this week-end I will more then likely move them back out in the Hibiscus Rock Garden, the weatherman is talking about more bad storms starting tonight.

So I thought since I had them all together I would take a picture and show them off. Some seem to be growing real good, but others aren't growing real fast. I finally got some fertilizer especially for Hibiscus so now I am starting to really feed them. I did use Messenger on them this morning so that may help, plan to get in a routine and do it every 3 weeks. I have found out that I didn't buy enough when the Coop offered it. I only have 4 individual packages left, time to reorder.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

My last post I said these were my coop hibiscus, will the one that is blooming is one I got at Dillon's a few weeks back. It didn't have a name on it. My camera doesn't actually show the colors true. It is a red orange in the middle and a lighter orange on the outside. Does anyone have a ideal on what it could be. I know I can go to the Hibiscus International Society and look for it, but there are so many and I thought maybe someone would have a clue.

Then the one that is at the very back that stands up so tall is the one I over-wintered and put it out in the sun to long and it sunburned, and lost the biggest share of its leaves, it is starting to come back.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Molten Lava

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This is Circle of Love. I am not sure it is supposed to look like this. maybe it just hasnt opened up all the way.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.