Hibiscus Coop/Show and Tell

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I know when I over winter a hibiscus and they bloom, they are always so beautiful, but once they go outside and get the real sunshine, fresh air they just do so much better, and they are so much prettier, and there color is so much more vivid. Toxicodendron just enjoy your bloom because when the weather gets better you will really enjoy then. And I can't wait for the weather to straighten itself out and to do what we want it to. LOL

Knoxville, TN(Zone 7a)

Toxicodendron, my indoor hibiscus blooms are pale and sometimes, not even recognizable with my summer blooms. I find this to be especially true with the multi-color blooms, like 5th Dimension. I won't worry about it.
I agree with 2pugdogs - - a little sunshine should make a big difference in your bloom coloration.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

thanks for the encouraging words...and hey look! Overnight the bloom gained a lot more color:

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron
San Leandro, CA

Toxicodendron, Tazzy, Roz

Thank you for your replies. I am noticing leaves starting again. I am ferterlizing so it probably was transplanting it.

Grace

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Glad to hear that. I just bet it takes off now!

Toronto, ON

It looks like you got some really beautiful hibiscus. I missed the original message about the co-op and was just wondering for future reference where you got them from.

Here is my first bloom of "In Paradise" isn't she a beauty, she has 2 more buds on her you can't see them for such a big bloom. I am truly amazed on her color and size, first time I have ever seen this one.

We really got some good plants from the Co-op. I have noticed if I have a question at all I just e-mail Carol and she answers very quickly. I did apologize to her for being a bother the last time I e-mailed her, and her answer to my apology was,
Quote from a e-mail that Carol send me:

Oh, I meant to let you know that you aren't a bother to me. I want
questions to help you become knowledgeable about what you are growing
so you will be successful with them to enjoy!

I would like to give another special thanks to Donna for hosting the Co-op and for picking a wonderful dealer that she did. We should do this again next year. There are still some I would love to have.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Whoo Hoo! What a beauty!

Carol and I have been discussing that very idea. Glad to hear there might be some interest. ;->

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

I thought Carol was a sweetheart! I missed this coop so I emailed Carol through eBay and explained that I had missed the DG coop. She was very helpful and sent me some gorgeous hibiscus. They have more than doubled in size and a few have bloomed.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Lots and lots and lots of interest,dstartz! I just cannot wait for next year. I would be willing to do it again now!!! I have given away so many of my great plants that I could easily buy more, and I have been to ebay and bought more and was just as pleased. Just cannot get enough of those hibiscus!!

I hear ya, Roz!

Carol is working on getting her own greenhouse. Once that happens and she is able to root large quanities of hibiscus again I will ask her if she's interested in doing another co-op.

Edited for typo : - }

This message was edited May 3, 2005 12:23 AM

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I sure hope she will consider another one.

Good luck to her on getting her greenhouse!!

Eustis, FL(Zone 9a)

This was my first time to participate in a co-op, and I too hope she'll be able to do another one. These plants are the best! My "Gator's Pride" has twin buds on it that should be blooming in the next day or two. I'll be sure to post pictures.

Thanks again, Donna and Carol!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

That Gators Pride is wonderful.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Rylaff,

My Gators Pride bloomed last week and your picture was so good I forgot to post mine.

But I think either later today or tomorrow my Confederate Heart should be fully open and I will post that picture.

This is Gators Pride first blooming.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

And here it is later.

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Molly, Is yours really that yellow or did your camera just capture it that way? Your colors are so different then mine. My camera captured mine accurately (although it usually messes up the reds and sometimes the purples). If that is the correct color, do you think that zones causes the difference in colors.

Rylaff,

Based on the description and the colors in the original pictures shown during the coop, the blues don't seem to be quite right. Carol advised me that when it gets warmer, the blues and hues of blues will come out more. As you know, we have had unusually cooler temps this spring. It's not often that we get temps in the high 40's and low 50's this far south in March and April.

Well it's getting hotter now with night temps in the 70's. I'm keeping my eye on the blues as they bloom.

It's true that the camera can distort color some, lavenders can turn blue in the final picture and burgundy's can turn pink etc.

Both those pictures, however, are of the same flower, the second one taken later in the life of that bloom.

Molly

Our low last night was 39, yip it is starting to warm up. LOL

At lease I didn't have to cover up everything last night.

Confederate Heart is opening today, here's the earlybird picture. The camera failed me again (heehee) and the color is more of a dusky lavender, just like it should be. I will take another later in the day after it is open all the way.

My goodness, compared to yesterday, picture loading today is really fast!!!!! So fast, I thought I hit the wrong button and missed it.

Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Breathtaking!

Wow, less than an hour later. If i could sit still long enough I would probably see these things moving as they open. Confederate Heart as promised. Again, the true color is more of a dusky lavender.

Molly
:^))))

I moved the 38 Hibiscus off the patio out into the yard last week or so. There are about 4-5 other blooms that will open in the next couple days on various different types. The colors are getting better now that they are outside and the temps are warmer at night. (Day temps are always warm)

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Mine have not bloomed yet though a couple look about ready. One--the leaves fell off and it doesn't seem to be doing anything? Symphony The others are progressing though it does seem unseasonably cool here this year!! Can't wait to see the blooms. Other Hibiscus I bought at a local nursury are coming back gangbusters!! Lots of green stem and leaves!! Gonna be later this year than I hoped but will have LOTS of lovely things sooner or later!! hehehe Bonnie/Servants_heart

I know you may be tired of seeing the same old face in here, but I thought it was worth looking at this bloom as it progresses throughout the day. Again, and for the last time today "Confederate Heart". In this photo the color is true. (Besides, it's raining....hard and the bloom is getting beaten up right now.)

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Long Beach, MS(Zone 8b)

I just have to show off my Petra. The bloom was larger than the plant!

Thumbnail by RubaInMS
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Gosh, I hope I got petra. That is beautiful.

I didn't get a petra but sure wish I had it is simply georgous. But of course I love all Hibiscus.

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Here's the first of my liners to bloom. It's Buckeye Colors and it's gorgeous! Two others have buds and now I can't wait to see them flower.

Thumbnail by snowhermit

Today, Confederate Heart. Had another Gators Pride yesterday.

But this is Confederate Heart, as advertized.

Edit to say: Oops, this is the 2nd CH. Snow Hermit, that is beautiful, aren't you thrilled?

This message was edited May 9, 2005 3:49 PM

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Outstanding!

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Molly your CH is beautiful too. And yes I was thrilled today when the flower opened. Now I wish I had ordered more. LOL

Once I hear from Carol that she hasher new greenhouse I hope to get another co-op under way.

I'm soooo glad to hear that so many are enjoying their plants!!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Hey, I am ready when you are. These plants are amazing. Here is Gold Rain. This one almost has a shimmer when the sun catches it.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

This one is Ocean Spray. My camera did not quite capture its true color, but it is a large bloom.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Those are stunning rylaff!
Donna the only bad part about seeing these bloom is that I feel a new addiction starting. My house is already filled to the rafters with Brugs in the winter and I'm already looking around for a place to put all the Hibiscus.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Here is Prince Henry's first bloom: really bright colors!

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron
Ocean Springs, MS(Zone 8b)

Here is a pic of my first one to bloom.
Ocean Spray.

Thumbnail by JanetOS
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Beautiful, Janet.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Buckeye Colors.

Thumbnail by rylaff

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.