Hibiscus Coop/Show and Tell

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

My delivery date is this month March, I can't wait. If you have been receiving yours and want to share with all of us some pictures, I know I would love to see them, also if you want to share where and how you plan on displaying them this summer.

When I receive mind I will post pictures.

Linda

New Hyde Park, NY(Zone 7a)

i'm in March also, but i'll wait with you and drool over others pic's till then.

I just wish some of the February receivers would do some posting here so we could see. I noticed the coop hibiscus #2 was closed. So maybe we will start seeing some.

Linda

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Received and planting today at CA home; will post pics! They are lovely and healthy and surprisingly BIG!

ahhhh, Looks like we might gets some pictures

These liners are lovely ~ twice the size of the liners I received from Carol through an internet order.

Bear in mind there are THREE (3) liners in each cup but still, look at the height!

"In Paradise" has a big fat bud!

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef

"Heaven's Peace" has a ruler sticking up behind it; it was metal so I put masking tape on the tip and marked it
12 "

"Cotton Candy" has a couple of smaller buds on it.

Remember . . . there are THREE (3) liners in each cup; don't want to mislead anyone.

They are all soaking in water tonight; ran out of time.

Early tomorrow they will get potted up and then sunk in the ground ~ want the roots to get tight and yet be in the ground so they do not dry out easily. Will also be amending soil with 10% worm castings ~ supposed to deter aphids.

Still have some shade bedding plants to put in the ground and a new vine to plant. It has to be finished tomorrow as my plane leaves for Iowa on Tues.

Will try to take and post more pics tomorrow so you can see what the root structure looks like as well as a single cutting.

Thank You Donna and Carol; they are beauties!

TwinLakesChef does Carol send out a email letting you know they are being shipped. I thought on the coop thread I had read where someone wrote they received notice of there liners being shipped. Your hibiscus are looking great, Carol has out done herself with her liners. I can't believe they are coming with buds that is great. I can't wait to get mind.

I had emailed Donna to have mine sent sooner to coincide with my trip to CA so no one had a chance to email me.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

2PD,

You will receive an email with a confirmation number for shipping and the date it was shipped.

Molly
:^)))

Thanks Molly, I have my pots just need to pick up some more MG. I went to the nursery and got some 6 inch pots from them. They sold them pretty cheap.

Your quite welcome 2PD,

The day mine arrived I was running around looking under the gym for my pots, the free standing building behind my house. It is raised, sitting on concrete supports with hurricane straps. But lots of pot storage space underneath.

I only needed 38, but when push came to shove I was short by 4. Luckily? I found 4 pots with soil in them (something must have died). But I made it. Lucky also I have lights on my patio, because I was out after dark potting them up, every last one.

Had 3 bloom so far and several more on the way. I posted 2 in the coop forum previously and only just found this thread today.

Good luck to you.
Molly

Memphis, TN(Zone 8a)

I received mine, (all 22 of them, LOL) almost 2 weeks ago, and they are all doing great! Here's Buckeye Colors, blooming yesterday:

Thumbnail by Nikkal

I was out with a flashlight until 2:30 AM finished potting the hibiscus in California. Had to get back up and be on the road at 5:15 AM to catch my plane back to Iowa. Just got home from the airport about a half hour ago.

I am going to take it easy tomorrow. Even though I slept both planes, it still takes me a bit to get orientated. I wake up in the night and can't remember where I am and then when I get back to Iowa it happens here too. Now you know why I am always all mixed up!

Nikkal: I didn't get one of those hibiscus, but now wish I had, I is a really pretty flower.

Twinlakeschef: I think I remember reading another thread where you were planting brugs at your Calif. place. You have two homes one in Calif. and another in Ia. Or do I have you mixed up with another DG'er.

I only ordered 6 liners should have ordered more. I did order 3 of the Hardy Hibiscus off the other Coop. But this year I started some seeds. I have about 12 yellow, 4 fireball and 6 whites. Then I got a varigated one off EBay last Thanksgiving, and a kind DG'er sent me a couple of Jungle Red startings. Only 1 made it. But on one there were some seed pods and I dried them and planted them about 3 weeks ago and know I have 9 of them coming up. Then I have two in the house left from last year, 1 is doing great getting ready to bloom and the other looks dead. But I am hanging on to it in hope when I set it out in May it will come alive. But I guess if it doesn't I will have plenty to plant, water and feed this summer. When I talk about all the plants I have in the house getting ready for May, my DH just shakes his head on goes on.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Now I'm wishing I had asked for March delivery. LOL! Can't wait to get mine.

Rest, Brugie!
After all that yard work, when I went to bed my hip joints burned down into my legs, knees burned; I hurt everywhere and was so tired; took awhile to get to sleep.

It was exciting to get them and being in a climate where I could get outside; but it put my body through the paces!

This message was edited Mar 10, 2005 5:22 AM

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Can't wait to get mine too. Late this month. I have some in the GH I got in fall from Carol that are blooming

Carol wrote this on the site I used for the co-op http://www.dstartz.com/cgi-bin/BB/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=14&t=11. Just in case y'all didn't see it over there I thought I'd post it here.

Donna

PS Carol can be reached at CHoward452@aol.com for those that would like to email her directly.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...As the hibiscus lovers that you all are, I would like to ask of you, if I did adventure out, what type of plants would interest you that you might purchase in liner form?

My thoughts were bougainvillas, mandevillas, and whatever else that I can come up with that would be fast growers for you to be able to enjoy during a growing season at a reasonable price.

I will be getting other varieties as I go along of the hybrid hibiscus to be able to offer new ones each season. It is just with all the storms of the past summer, many of my plants were destroyed and I am having to rebuild.

I appreciate your comments.

Thank you,
Carol

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes, please. Mandevilla liners are a fabulous idea.

Also, how about Tecoma and some other nice tropical vines? Is that a possibility?

This message was edited Mar 10, 2005 3:46 PM

I was thinking maybe some bougainvillas

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

hoyas

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I like them all. Anything that is easy to grow and will bloom for me long enough to enjoy before having to dig it up or give it up. I love Mandys and would love a double and the white laxa. Ears and Bananas usually are popular.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Bougainvillea would be great, and Mandevilla too. Maybe some fragrant stephanotis or jasmine vines. I have an anthurium that I love...it blooms all year round in part shade, so it makes a good candidate to bring inside the home for the winter. I know they come in lots of colors. How about rex begonias? I think they are making a comeback, and they are great houseplants as well as bedding plants in the south.
Like Brugie, I like them all...sigh...
Hey, I said brug...there is another idea.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hi Guys, here is my first bloom of "IN PARADISE", isn't she gorgeous!!!!! Don't drool now--LOL!!!
Again thanks Carol and Donna :)
Rose_petalzz

Thumbnail by rose_petalzz

Rose_petalzz, that is beautiful

I would be "In Paradise" if I had that blooming!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is one of the liners, and the bloom was huge, bigger than the plant for sure!!!!!
Cannot wait to see it grow larger and more flowers!!!!!!!!!!
Will keep ya posted for more pictures as they bloom, and thanks for all the compliments, cause I had a tray of seeds started and when I saw the bloom on it, I dropped my seed tray!!!! LOL< but it was worth the flower!!!!!
Happy gardening!!! And everybody should try to take pictures of these hibiscus so we can show everybody how great this co-op was and is!!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey, hibiscus lovers, here is another one of the gorgeous liners I bought from Carol. This one is
"Nightfire", isn't she unreal!!!! Enjoy and don't drool on your keyboards now, that is not good! LOL.
Ruby

Thumbnail by rose_petalzz
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Forgot, Thanks Carol for such healthy liners and Donna too! :)

Today I have Millenium Superstar and Petra. 2 in one day!!!!

Millenium Superstar is as wide across as my hand....splayed. And look at that 2nd baby bloom on top of the first.

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Here's Petra. I am really looking forward to Gator's Pride and, and, oh, every one of them!

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow Molly, beautiful pictures, aren't these hibiscus wonderful already!!!!
Thanks for the pictures, come on everyone that can, post!!! We are all drooling over the varieties we didn't get!!!! LOL!

Thank you Rose,

I forgot this weekend I had my second bloom of Ocean Spray. Here she is:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

Molly,
Your blooms are lovely!

Woodsville, NH(Zone 4a)

Wow! What beautiful flowers. Now I can't wait to get mine in April.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Being that there seems to be overwhelming demand (and pricing!) for corkscrew vine, that might be a good thing to propogate! I just saw them in the Park's catalogue for $27.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Hey, why didn't somebody tell me how hard it was going to be to wait for April shipping! I want my plants too. All the ones in the photos are so beautiful, I'm so excited now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.